Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice bike I'm interested as well SR400 far too expensive . Im into a new bike coz my 8 years old tiger boxer got 185000 km on the clock not so bad for a Thai brand . Just wonder will the chromed parts last over time

price 115500 bht ???? correct me if im wrong

I think I passed one yesterday.

The one thing I notice about these sorts of bikes - sr400 etc. is that the riders are generally less aggressive and immature.

Anytime I overtake one they rarely try to chase me down or need to overtake me and gloat.

It really is a fantastic price and hopefully they should sell truckloads.

It's a pity they didn't put that 400cc engine into a faired sportsbike-alike. Make it look like the R3 or Ninja300, with a 400cc single at 140k baht and they'd be booked out for the next decade. :D

I think it's been said before on this thread but it doesn't hurt to say it again ------ This bike is sold in Europe & UK as the Mash 400 Roadstar. Search for Mash 400 UK and you'll see a few road tests, spec. information etc.

UK price appears to be £3799 (about 200,000THB) on the MASH UK site I looked at so maybe they're a VERY good deal in Thailand or there's some big profiteering in UK - is that any surprise? Perhaps the bikes aren't exactly identical cosmetically - UK version seems to have a 2-tone paint job and a rear rack but that wouldn't account for the UK/Thai price difference.

There's a free download manual for the original Honda XBR 500, on which this bike is based, available here http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1320 and probably other places, too.

I'd seriously consider one of these, particularly as I had a couple of XBR 500s in UK and liked them a lot - nice, reliable, gentle bikes to ride when I didn't want to ride my more sporty bikes. I don't do many miles a year nowadays and all of those are on rural Isaan roads so many considerations of durability & longevity aren't so important. Perhaps far more importantly, the gentle nature might encourage my wife to ride pillion with me occasionally on days out.

Mash Roadstar 400 review | £3799 | 29bhp@7000rpm | 22lb-ft@5500rpm | air-cooled 4-valve single

Interesting info:

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/mash-roadstar-400-review/

If the engine looks familiar, and your memory stretches back as far as 1985, that’s because it’s Honda’s old XBR unit; an air-cooled overhead-cam four-valve single with contra-rotating balance shaft.

Of course, it isn’t the same engine Honda dealers were trying to sell us 30 years ago. For a start, it’s not made by Honda any more, but by Shineray in China, that builds the whole bike. It’s smaller than the original, down to 398cc from 498cc, and has acquired Siemens fuel injection. To thoroughly clean the emissions up, small catalysts are hidden inside the ’60s style silencers, of which there are two, with twin pipes sprouting out of the twin-port head.

The gearbox, as Honda intended, is a five-speeder, though this should offer enough ratios, given the single’s relaxed power delivery.

Is it just me or does that advertised 400 look A LOT different to the original white one!

Yes. It looks like a twin like I suggested earlier

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1450841792.130560.jpg

Just because it got 2 exhaust pipes doesn't necessary means it's a 2 cyl engine.

It a 4 valve cyl head, 2 inlet and 2 exhaust and depending of design on the cyl head, this one looks like it's designed for 2 exhaust pipes.

A bit of a shame really, I would prefer a 1 pot engine with 1 exhaust pipe whereas the 10 times cooler looking Bonneville (that's a real twin) has 2 pipes for its 2 cylinders.

I think it's been said before on this thread but it doesn't hurt to say it again ------ This bike is sold in Europe & UK as the Mash 400 Roadstar. Search for Mash 400 UK and you'll see a few road tests, spec. information etc.

UK price appears to be £3799 (about 200,000THB) on the MASH UK site I looked at so maybe they're a VERY good deal in Thailand or there's some big profiteering in UK - is that any surprise? Perhaps the bikes aren't exactly identical cosmetically - UK version seems to have a 2-tone paint job and a rear rack but that wouldn't account for the UK/Thai price difference.

There's a free download manual for the original Honda XBR 500, on which this bike is based, available here http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1320 and probably other places, too.

I'd seriously consider one of these, particularly as I had a couple of XBR 500s in UK and liked them a lot - nice, reliable, gentle bikes to ride when I didn't want to ride my more sporty bikes. I don't do many miles a year nowadays and all of those are on rural Isaan roads so many considerations of durability & longevity aren't so important. Perhaps far more importantly, the gentle nature might encourage my wife to ride pillion with me occasionally on days out.

there are anti dumping laws for Chinese products in Europe so that is why it is expensive not because it is good quality. It means most Chinese products including motorcycles are considered as DELETED there!

and again a generic Chinese bike. god knows it is branded under which brand god know what grade Thailand will get.

disrespect for Yamaha sr400.

and it is 110 k baht which is very expensive for a Chinese DELETED.

DELETED

Thank God it's the same as a 1985 Honda engine, and not a 2015 one. whistling.gif

It might actually be good. smile.png

If memory serves, Platinum used their copy of that same SOHC in their 200cc and 250cc. Those were stone reliable bikes, use them and abuse them, always came back for more.

DELETED

Thank God it's the same as a 1985 Honda engine, and not a 2015 one. whistling.gif

If memory serves, Platinum used their copy of that same SOHC in their 200cc and 250cc. Those were stone reliable bikes, use them and abuse them, always came back for more.

copy but they just copy the design (and not all aspects and with a cut the corners approach)

and do you think they manufacture them with same materials like it is done by Japanese?

bc it will be around the same price (minus cheaper workforce) with a japanese engine then and Chinese cannot compete or they get very less profit.

DELETED

A mate up in Isahn has one of those. A silver or gray one that looks just like the phantom. He's had it years now and still putts around the place daily.

Seems to be more reliable than most people's Honda's nowadays. cheesy.gif

DELETED

Nothing to worry about with this engine , it is NOT made / assembled by Honda. This 400 FI single is made by Zongshen , who also make the Platinum PX 250 engines ( not sure about the 200 ) , and BMW engines. No problem with the quality there. One of my bikes is the PX 250 , converted to motard.

Archived