Stallions 400cc - Any good?

azerty66

Ask yourself if you would buy a Chinese designed and built car? because other than being made in Thailand thats what it is, its a chinese bike, personally i wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot pole as ive seen several around CM falling to bits, poorly made crap but yes they do look retro/cafe good.

A dealer told me about its origins (Chinese company).

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask yourself if you would buy a Chinese designed and built car? because other than being made in Thailand thats what it is, its a chinese bike, personally i wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot pole as ive seen several around CM falling to bits, poorly made crap but yes they do look retro/cafe good.

A dealer told me about its origins (Chinese company).

you've seen several Stallion 400's falling to bits.. Really? I smell DELETED

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all I'm new here l felt compelled to add a post to this thread as I own a Stallions ct400 and I owned a Honda gb500 I bought in 1990. Firstly the ct400 is in no way a copy of the Yamaha sr400/500 it is however a copy or clone of Honda's gb400/500 rfvc single cylinder twin exhaust port engine with the benefit of fuel injection as near as I can tell most of the rest of the bike are too the wheel assembly,brakes ,front forks and frame appear to be as well ,the tank , fenders , side covers , exhaust pipes and mufflers of which there are 2 compared to the gb's one, wheel rims (chromed steel Honda use DID shouldered aluminum ones)headlight and mounting brackets are not.The swingarm is also not the same as the gb's being of welded up tube steel instead of the more substantial sheet and plate unit on the gb's, however it looks like it belongs on this retro bike and functions just fine. Oh I forgot v mention that the seat is not the same as the gb's as well it's foam pad is even softer than the original Honda unit which was also quite soft though not as bad as the ct400. As to comments on poor build quality those who have obviously haven't looked to closely the frame weld's are on par with the Honda GB the chrome appears to be of good quality though time will tell about that,the paint and plateing and switch gear are all of good quality. The only issues i have with the bike are the IRC Tires absolutely dangerous in the wet they don't hold the road if you buy this model bike I strongly urge you to change the tires to something better Metzler,Avon whatever anything would be an upgrade over the IRC units and surely prolong your life. Seat foam is too soft. Buckhorn handlebars with a 8 in rise are <deleted> ugly. Front fork springs are way too soft and the rear shocks are anemic. I bought mine new in Lop Buri, Thailand which is about 160 kilometers north of Bkk about 2 months ago I drive to Bkk 2 times a week with no issues the bike with stand on 75mph all day long with no issues I've taken it as high 90mph. I replaced the handlebars with a narrower set with a 1 1/2 inch rise these are far more comfortable for me and they look far better as well also a set of Napoleon bar end mirrors and a set of factory Honda rear shocks made by shows which have a larger diameter dampener rod and spring and better bushings the ct400's where already showing signs of collapsing after a month i bought these parts second hand at Pratumwan market in Bkk which specializes in used car and motorcycle parts they vastly improved the handling and comfort of the bike. I worked in a antique motorcycle shop in America for 7 years we handled any type of old bike but specialized in British bikes with BSA's as our favored mark I did handled the restoration work I have been working on or around old bikes all my life and I am familiar with them the ct400 is a interpretation of older British singles and I am of the opinion that this motorcycle gives you just about everything one expects from an old single with non of the quirks or headaches, it's reliable fast enough to get out of its own way and barring a few issues which I've already mentioned it's a great bike for those who want a big single in Thailand and don't want to shell out for a Yamaha sr400 . I would buy another without a second thought if I was looking for a bike. I really can't recommend it enough.Thanks for entertaining my rant.

Matthew Wilkinson

I agree absolutely on the tires. I put a new set of IRC's on my Nouvo Elegance a few years back and they were as queasy as all get out. Got the Michelin Pilots, then Pirellis. (get either one and live longer). IRC's are dangerous. Have Metzlers on the SR400 which is what I had on my BMW's in the U.S. and they feel rock solid.

post-131342-0-80772600-1468227576_thumb.post-131342-0-85912800-1468227581_thumb.post-131342-0-98615000-1468227586_thumb.post-131342-0-43203100-1468227590_thumb.post-131342-0-98732900-1468227594_thumb.post-131342-0-92774500-1468227598_thumb.

Hello all I'm new here l felt compelled to add a post to this thread as I own a Stallions ct400 and I owned a Honda gb500 I bought in 1990. Firstly the ct400 is in no way a copy of the Yamaha sr400/500 it is however a copy or clone of Honda's gb400/500 rfvc single cylinder twin exhaust port engine with the benefit of fuel injection as near as I can tell most of the rest of the bike are too the wheel assembly,brakes ,front forks and frame appear to be as well ,the tank , fenders , side covers , exhaust pipes and mufflers of which there are 2 compared to the gb's one, wheel rims (chromed steel Honda use DID shouldered aluminum ones)headlight and mounting brackets are not.The swingarm is also not the same as the gb's being of welded up tube steel instead of the more substantial sheet and plate unit on the gb's, however it looks like it belongs on this retro bike and functions just fine. Oh I forgot v mention that the seat is not the same as the gb's as well it's foam pad is even softer than the original Honda unit which was also quite soft though not as bad as the ct400. As to comments on poor build quality those who have obviously haven't looked to closely the frame weld's are on par with the Honda GB the chrome appears to be of good quality though time will tell about that,the paint and plateing and switch gear are all of good quality. The only issues i have with the bike are the IRC Tires absolutely dangerous in the wet they don't hold the road if you buy this model bike I strongly urge you to change the tires to something better Metzler,Avon whatever anything would be an upgrade over the IRC units and surely prolong your life. Seat foam is too soft. Buckhorn handlebars with a 8 in rise are <deleted> ugly. Front fork springs are way too soft and the rear shocks are anemic. I bought mine new in Lop Buri, Thailand which is about 160 kilometers north of Bkk about 2 months ago I drive to Bkk 2 times a week with no issues the bike with stand on 75mph all day long with no issues I've taken it as high 90mph. I replaced the handlebars with a narrower set with a 1 1/2 inch rise these are far more comfortable for me and they look far better as well also a set of Napoleon bar end mirrors and a set of factory Honda rear shocks made by shows which have a larger diameter dampener rod and spring and better bushings the ct400's where already showing signs of collapsing after a month i bought these parts second hand at Pratumwan market in Bkk which specializes in used car and motorcycle parts they vastly improved the handling and comfort of the bike. I worked in a antique motorcycle shop in America for 7 years we handled any type of old bike but specialized in British bikes with BSA's as our favored mark I did handled the restoration work I have been working on or around old bikes all my life and I am familiar with them the ct400 is a interpretation of older British singles and I am of the opinion that this motorcycle gives you just about everything one expects from an old single with non of the quirks or headaches, it's reliable fast enough to get out of its own way and barring a few issues which I've already mentioned it's a great bike for those who want a big single in Thailand and don't want to shell out for a Yamaha sr400 . I would buy another without a second thought if I was looking for a bike. I really can't recommend it enough.Thanks for entertaining my rant.
Matthew Wilkinson

Hello, smile.png

I live in Korat and finally received my new CT-400cc Stallion. This bike is really worth the money. I had to wait two months to get one as

there are many orders for this bike and the Thai company is producing a very strong bike indeed. Show price last year was 110,000 baht and my dealer

was asking 120,000baht. I talked them down to 115,000 baht cash but I went for their financing with Krungsri 1.5% special at 116,900 baht and 3,100 a month for three years.

I have been riding with our guys for two years now and knew this was a more powerful bike then my 1st bike a Phantom for 1 1/2 years and of late my Lifan

v-twin 250cc which I also rode to Laos and Cambodia. But was surprised of the power and had to get used to it...a pleasure to ride. The boys were not expecting me to keep up so well as three of them have a CB500x and r. When riding before with my other bike they kept to 110 kilometers per hour on the Hwy. but on the back roads and hilly winding roads I had no problem going a long with them as we went about 65-80 and the v-twin performed great. My 400cc tops out at 140.

Can cruise all day at 125 kph. I keep up with CB 500's 0-135, but when they go 150 plus they pull away, but who wants to go that fast...not me as this was the first time on a bike going over 120kph. The bike has a lot of torque and pulls strong in third gear. It has 5 gears and shifts smoother then my other two bikes. Some reason on a slow u-turn it stays up way easier then the phantom or Lifan, also a lot nicer going fast around the curves!

Here in Korat is a custom bike shop that customises Stallion bikes and they made me a sweet rack that they powder coated at their shop. It fit great for my Givi

45 liter top box and the Givi side boxes. I also added the Givi backrest which my wife says she loves...1,200baht. No need for spending on louder pipes as this has a great sound! Dual exhaust. The engine is a Japanese Honda design and Shineray bought the rights of this '80s engine. Shineray sub contracts motor bike engine parts for Ducati. Remember, Jeep Cherokees suv's have been made for the USA in China since before '2000.

I don't agree with the guy on the IRC tire quality. As I put two sets of IRC's on my Honda Phantom and changed one set on the Lifan v-twin and rode very well wet and dry. The tires that sucked were the stock ones that came on the Lifan v-twin as they were hard and slipped. My friends with the CB 500's say they pay 4,000-6,000 baht to change tires. On my other two bikes the front IRC was 900baht and the back about 1,400. I checked to see how much these larger tires on my CT- 400 would cost and they are very good griping rubber on the wet pavement and was quoted 2,100 front and 2,650 for the back. They said two weeks because this size is only made at IRC in Japan and have to ship them. So with the easy access to work on this bike and the better cost on tires I will enjoy touring with this new bike.

I am really happy with this bike and the quality is better then my v-twin Lifan. Although I think that the 250cc Lifan is a very good first bike or for someone who is shorter in height. I enjoyed it alot. My CT-400cc dealer is spot on for service. Get this, I just was ready to do my first oil change at 1,000 k and they called me

and said they are ordered me a brand new bike and to bring this one in on Tuesday and exchange it! Why, I said? The factory left off a number on the serial#

​from the frame so it does not match the engine so can not register it. So now riding and have 3,000k on the newer bike and if you don't believe me look at the 6 pictures I put up here and you can see the new came with the engine powder coated black which I think is even better. The bike rides so sweet and pulls ahead

of smaller bikes very well. The gas tank is a true 12.1 liter and on the hwy I get 300k and in town about 240k. I run Shell nitro 95 and Castro 20-40w at 100baht each liter. Holds 2.2 liters.

Happy Riding,

Dave wai2.gif P.S. As you can see in my photos Marble likes my Stallion Ct-400 also...my cat!

• 1 month later...

We are a bit behind the times in Khon Kaen, or maybe I have been away too long, but they have opened a nice dealership on the Mittaparp Road here. Selling all models of Stallion, including the 400.

It is a good sized bike for me and it felt "right", started it up and is sounded nice too, even better that the smaller 200s. The 200 is just too small for us.

I really like what Stallion are doing, putting fun back into biking at an affordable price, emulating what we did 50 years ago. The Cafe Racer innovations actually came from their owners being skint, my only worry is that the Thais will copy us further, by killing themselves. 

In this instance the SR400 is just way too expensive... for what it is.

What I don't like is the chrome, it kinda spoils the bike and as with my Lifan I would change the wheel bearings for Jap ones, straight away.

The dealership guy is starting a club for these bikes, just like at Vespa, with trips and meets and that has to be good for their promotion. I don't know whether these guys with the 200s are modifying their bikes but they sound really great, like nothing else  around. One local has made his look "old" and the exhaust "crackle" he achieved, well you would swear it was an old British bike.

Would I buy a 400, forty years ago, yes?

Had chance to have a look through this thread and some people are comparing the CT400 to the SR400, so I was trying to find some specs on both bikes. The reason for this is because I seem to remember that the SR400 was a "small bike", which even riding solo I found unbearably cramped. As I mentioned above, the CT400 fits me (and MrsB) quite well so to me a better comparison should be between the SR400 and the little CT200, since they are around the same size.

I think the small no frills (read no thrills) SR400 is ridiculous at 265k, the same money as the hugely impressive 650cc Kawa Vulcan and especially when compared to the proper sized (and equipped) CT400 at just 109k. Salivating over an SR400, jeeze! ....how does that work? An over active salivary gland?

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Those 400's are a nice looking engine. Looks to me like they are a dry sump motor too. Oil in the frame a la Honda big singles?

The old Honda XBR 500, on which the CT400 is based, was a dry sump engine with an oil tank under the RHS side panel.

1 hour ago, bramds said:

CT400 is 115,000 baht.

Those 200s you talk about don't exist, they are 150 cc.

And now just released at the motorshow is a 250 cc model.

Yeh, my mistake. Been having second thoughts about the 400 since it fits me and MrsB so well, with a nice riding position, better than anything else around. It looks and sounds nice too and that's important, but......

It is a shame about the chrome which hasn't been prepared properly, so I'm wondering if it can be redone, wheels rims and silencer...and what sort of money?

Hopefully the price will come down to list in a few months when Sterling recovers a little.

Got my CT400 last Friday and basically very happy with it. Simple, easy to drive and power is just what you would expect from the engine. Seems like a great bike for what I got it for.

Only odd thing I noticed so far is a “sticky” throttle. When driving and changing gears, the engine keeps the rpm up while you turn of the gas to switch gears. It will last maybe a second or less, but it is noticeable when changing gears or when just turning off the gas to use engine brake. The first second or less the engine still pulls before the throttle is really turned off and you get normal engine brake. Mechanically the throttle is releasing normally both in the handle bar and in the EFI body, so I’m guessing it has something to do with the EFI controller that maybe still providing fuel to the engine. Also the check-the-engine red warning light in the dashboard is very slightly illuminated during normal use. Not bright as when you turn the ignition on and not yet start the engine, just a small glow that one can only see in dark. Didn’t have time to ask the dealer yet about this as I’m travelling now, but will ask.

Meanwhile, did anyone else experience the same sticky throttle issue and have any fix for it?

Having owned a Chinese bike built in Thailand and listened to some of the Youtube reports I have come to the conclusion that these bike need a little owner input.

The Honda Wave I bought 5 years ago, was A1 right from the time I picked it up, but the Lifan I bought late last year certainly wasn't. It barely ran when I went to collect it, the gearchange was dreadful and I was sent away for a week. When I did pick it up half the nuts and bolts were loose, there was a fuel leak and the seat cover was thin and was starting to give out...mmmm.

I wanted to upgrade the seat anyway, so throwing a poor quality cover away wasn't an issue. The dealer got then engine properly, fixed the leak and we got the clutch adjusted properly, so now all is well.

I now have a nippy fun dirt bike that sounds good for around £900 ( my dosh comes from the UK, where incidentally that money buys me nothing). In contrast the Wave which was perfect out of the box, is a dull as ditch-water run around.

My guess is that things may be the same with the Stallion 400, that compared to a Honda CB300, you may have to suffer a little for your art. But if you do the rewards are worth it, plus my knees and spine may thank me in the long run.

Now I know what to expect, I will see what sterling does later this year.

Just noticed that one of the models has painted mudguards so that would be the first thing I would do. I hate chrome, especially when it is done poorly. 

• 4 weeks later...

As has been said on this thread already, the Stallions CT 400 is sold in UK & Europe as the Mash Roadstar.

The Mash UK website is now showing pictures, but nothing more, of a cafe racer-style bike, the Mash TT40, using the same engine as the CT 400.

I found a short road test on the Mash TT40  --  http://www.motofire.com/2016/09/reviews/first-ride-mashing-mash-tt40-black-7/   --  and the UK price is £4700 or about 215,000 baht at today's rate.

Features include F&R disc brakes, 4-pot front caliper, beefed-up front forks, box section swinging arm, frame-mounted top fairing. It also has ABS which can be switched on or off. 

Is it bound for Thailand one day?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the documentation provided to new buyers by Stallions in Thai only or also in English?

I got these attachments from MASH Motorcycles in UK - English language versions of the Owner's Handbook for the 400 and a spare parts listing for the Scrambler. 

Might be useful for somebody.

I'm interested in the Scrambler but it's not at the local dealer's shop for another month or so.

MASH 400 Scrambler catalogue 2015.xlsx

MASH 400 User Manual.pdf

• 1 month later...

Just saw one at a sticker shop, with a tallish Thai guy on it, looked good, so I wondered over. Not sure whether he has done anything to it, it wasn't brand new as it already had it's plate...but it looked absolutely fantastic, all black......... welds all good, great chrome and panels fitted.

Now that's a nice bike..........sounded good, but then they all see too.

Archived