Paying for Visa

Someone help me on this query please.

I am doing a trip to Cambodia by air leaving from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, on an Aussie passport. I read that most seem to pay for visa on arrival with US$.

Do they accept payment with Baht or Aus $.?

Also coming from Cambodia by air back to Thailand. I am presuming I get 30 more days staying in Thailand. Am I correct?

Thanking you.

In addition to visa, everything else in PP will also be in dollars. Thai baht are accepted in areas near the Thai border, but not in PP.

You can also get visa online with credit card, see https://www.evisa.gov.kh/. Costs a little more but saves time at airport and also a page in your passport.

As to second part of question, yes, you get another 30 day visa exempt entry into Thailand on your return, assuming you are from one of the countries eligible for that.

Dont change too much. Money changers in pp at the market charge considerably less than Thai banks. You can also change Aussie $ into Khmer riels. This is the official currency. We had a discussion here on the board some time ago. Look it up. You are likely to save some 2 % on most sales (but not on museum tickets - they are in USD). Buy small bills in Thailand, they are often a bit cheaper than the USD 50/100 bills. Plus you will need the smaller bills in PP. If you are not in a rush and not too much burdened with luggage: You can use the public aircon bus to the center. it leaves close to the airport gate (200 meters max from the terminal door). Cost: less than 75 cents.

Hi Mike2011, Thank you for your information. First time for me to Cambodia. Was a bit confused to why they don't accept their own currency for visa at airport, and from what I gather US$ is used in the country, not like Thailand with their Baht.

Their own currency is >4,000 to 1 US and doesn't come in very large denominations. So it is impractical to use it for things costing much more than say $10-$15, though it is widely used -- and indeed more practical -- for small ticket items.

Basically the way it works is that the riel are the small change (up to and including amounts equal to say $10 - $15) and the dollar is used for more expensive things. US currency does not exist in denominations less than $1 (no coins here) so you will always get change of less than $1 in riel and often also get change of up to a few dollars in it automatically.

So really its a dual currency system. Hotel bills, restaurants (other than cheap local eateries), visas, phone cards, admission fees to temples etc = USD. Food at cheap local eateries, roadside stands, small items at the market etc = riel but they'll accept small denomination USD too as well as a mixture of both currencies.

You don't really need to change into local currency IMO as you will automatically acquire it in the form of change as you go along, at least I always do. If you do change it, not more than say $20 worth. That plus the change you'll get in rile over time will keep you well supplied.

Or as suggested, just pay online with a credit card. Though you will need some initial USD for travel from the airport etc. I'd change just a small amount (either of banht or of AUS$) in Thailand to then head to a money changer in PP for a better AUSD--> USD (or TBH--> USD) rate than you'll get in Thailand.

Applying right now for an eVisa.

eVisa website says it now costs $30 +$7 processing fee, but when it comes to payment the credit card agent seems to want $40 and there does not seem to be an alternative to that - just a coice of two agents and a choice of SGD or US$. Hope I've got the right official website (pretty sure I have and have looked around on the google front page for any evidence it is not official!). It's a bit mealy-mouthed of Cambodia to make big announcements of the cost, complete with oficail government-stamped letters confirming it ..... and then charge a hidden $3. Neither here nor there in real terms of course.

Also there are few apparent restrictions on the style photo, which is good if correct. The only digital photo I have to hand is one where I am smiling rather broadly. Again - hope that flies!

I've never had a problem. And yes, it does come now to $40.

And neither did I. The photo was accepted. The visa was issued within 12 hours of pressing 'pay'. Worth the hidden $3 (Tony Fernandez would be proud*) - very impressive service and I don't want an extra page of my passport consumed, as I always run out with my Laos and Camby visits before my UK 10 year expiry date.

They promise within 3 working days, but they delivered within 12 hours on a weekend. Perhaps the Brits and Aussies should have contracted out to Camby, not VFS.

Had they taken 4 working days I would have gambled and lost 40 bucks.

* Air Asia boss

Just noticed that my e-visa starts its 30 day course as of today, not next Saturday when I said I would be arriving. Not an issue for me, but watch it if you are a longer-stay visitor (or go for the VOA)

That 30 days is the time period within which you have to use it by entering the country.

The 30 day clock for duration of stay starts ticking only on the day of arrival and your entry stamp will reflect this. (there is also an option of a one month extension)

I too have always had a very quick turn around with evisa.

I've found most things can be paid for in Riel, but more expensive items are generally quoted in, and payment made in US dollars. However, you probably could pay in Riel, though relatively few people (especially tourists and resident expats) do.

Anyway, as other posters have stated, exchange some AUD for USD in order to pay for your visa, preferably in Thailand but there are USD ATMs located at some land border crossings as well as the international airport if you're stuck and in the case of the airport, the officials will allow you to withdraw money from an ATM located after immigration if you don't have anything to pay for your visa when you arrive.

For everything else, bring AUD to exchange into USD once you're there, otherwise make use of the ATMs which dispense USD. However, like in Thailand most ATMs will charge a surcharge, which is 5USD for ANZ ATMs, or around 4USD for most other banks. Canadia used to be free, but some reports suggest this is no longer the case.

You can always pay in Riel in Cambodia. Though in many places the exchange rate is bad (seriously) at 4,100 Riel to the Dollar - though the majority of places exchange at 4,000 Riel to the Dollar (which is good because the official rate normally lays around 4,050 - so in theory there are tiny savings to be made by changing dollar into Riel and paying in Riel, though I can't imagine ever being bothered to do so).

• 5 months later...

Can anyone give me clarity on this. Does my girlfriend who's coming to Siem reap with me need to pay for a visa. She's Thai national with passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. 100 baht for 14 days.

Technically it's supposed to be free. The 100 Baht fee is unofficial and goes straight into the official's pocket.

Thais and other ASSEAN nationals get a visa exempt entry for 14 days. No visa needed unless stay will exceed 14 days.

There is no charge for the visa exempt entry, but many land borders will try to extract a bribe. Whether they do so and amount will vary with the border. If she stands firm can probably get in without paying it but the delay this will entail might not be worth it.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the maximum length of time I can stay in Thailand on a triple entry tourists visa? Came in on November 16. Extended to 90 days then went to Cambodia for 5days. Back in on 16 Feb admitted till 15 April. My visa says from uk says must renter before 26 April. Does this mean I can't extend another 30 days as this will take me to 15 June. I was under the impression you could extend 3 times in a triple entry visa. Any ways round this to take me upto August when my flight is booked for. Thanks in advance.

You are confusing visas (which allow entry into the country) with permission to stay (which is granted at the time of entry).

The dates a visa must be used by are the dates by which you have to use the visa to enter the country.

Each time you enter on a tourist visa, you will be granted a 60 day stay which can, at the discretion of the immigration Office, be extended by 30 days. This would apply to each separate entry under a multi-entry visa. So in principal, you can now extend your current permission of stay by another 30 days. However, you may face some questions from the Imm Officer about why you have been in Thailand so long given that the duration between entries was only 5 days. Basically they will be concerned that you might be trying to live and work in Thailand on a tourist visa. Showing your return ticket to the UK and explaining your tourist itinerary will help.

However, if your current permission to stay is until 15 April, you will be able to extend it only until mid May. You would then have to leave and make the third re-entry. When you say the visa says you have to re-enter by 26 April, I assume it refers to the second entry? If not - if it refers to the last re-entry - then instead of extending your current stay you should do as PhuketRichard described above and leave and make a third entry, then extend that. If you can arrange a gap between departure and entry, less chance of hassles when you request extension. They are clamping down on people using tourist visas for non-tourist purposes and prolonged back to back stays raise that suspicion.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Sheryl and Phuket Richard. Yeh looks like it's my 3rd entry. So tourist visa is only valid for 6 months not a year? Can I get another visa to take me over August from Laos or Cambodia?

Archived