Looks Like The ( Late Night ) Life Has Been Sucked Out Of CM

PostmanPat

As my 30 something aged Son is visiting on holiday, we just happened to go to the Reggae/ Ska Bar behind Zoe area last night. Got there 11.30, no sooner had we bought a drink the lights came on, the music stopped, and everybody filed out to the street. I had a quick chat to a few of the youngsters outside, they were perplexed but not angry, but did make the point that in this modern world, in this modern country, in this modern city it seems like a step back into the dark ages to have cops telling you to drink up and go home at 11.45.

The people I chatted to said in their view if this carries on it will affect tourism/ visitors from western countries. They said theres a kind of travellers/ backpackers network, and word is already spreading that CM is no fun any more.

Perhaps thats the way the authorities want it? Chinese will still come in large numbers, but if CM gets in effect crossed off "the list" it will have an affect on all the thousands of people here working directly or indirectly in the tourism industry. Its all those people I feel sorry for, and shame on "the authorities" here who are by their current attitude actually putting people out of work.

Example? My Mrs. is an independent higher end private tour guide, and her bookings for the high season are down by at least 50% based on last years numbers. Thats a fact !!!

I am in the tourist business as well and my numbers are still going up !!

And i am already here for 8 years.

So there must be something wrong with the company your wife works for.

Cheers.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As my 30 something aged Son is visiting on holiday, we just happened to go to the Reggae/ Ska Bar behind Zoe area last night. Got there 11.30, no sooner had we bought a drink the lights came on, the music stopped, and everybody filed out to the street. I had a quick chat to a few of the youngsters outside, they were perplexed but not angry, but did make the point that in this modern world, in this modern country, in this modern city it seems like a step back into the dark ages to have cops telling you to drink up and go home at 11.45.

The people I chatted to said in their view if this carries on it will affect tourism/ visitors from western countries. They said theres a kind of travellers/ backpackers network, and word is already spreading that CM is no fun any more.

Perhaps thats the way the authorities want it? Chinese will still come in large numbers, but if CM gets in effect crossed off "the list" it will have an affect on all the thousands of people here working directly or indirectly in the tourism industry. Its all those people I feel sorry for, and shame on "the authorities" here who are by their current attitude actually putting people out of work.

Example? My Mrs. is an independent higher end private tour guide, and her bookings for the high season are down by at least 50% based on last years numbers. Thats a fact !!!

Chiang Mai is not and has never been known as the place to go for drinking and hookers. There are back packers traveling here and using those services but that is not why they come to Chiang Mai. The sex and drinking back packers know where to go in Bangkok and Pattaya. They are not going to come to Chiang Mai.

Edit

I just realized your wife is a high end tour guide. Are you saying

that half the high end tourists come to Chiang Mai for booze and hookers.

or, it could be a great option if you like women don't need to watch other foreigners.

i don't know about you but i don't need hundreds of options available on a nightly basis.

one of the reasons i like cm so much is that the drinking and girls are there, but the sexpat scene is not as visible.

Come back in a few years when the new government is elected, with out the military government may be the police can relax on the laws a bit and earn their usually tea money from the bars.

it seems like a step back into the dark ages to have cops telling you to drink up and go home at 11.45.

Yes I think it's going to be a long time before we see late closing hours again.

Good to see the younger crowd returning to Zoe on their reopening. Zoe celebrates their 6th birthday on 12 September (Saturday). Should be a good event.

And no I am not associated with the place.

Spoke to some staff last night and no one is sure on the future of the place. They are just taking it day by day.

In case all you guys didn't know, MOST Thai (not bar owners) prefer all bars to be closed after 1230 am! (go ask your Thai friend which I doubt any of you will ever have any!)

Fantastic; as I said earlier it should be up to the business concerned when they choose to open, providing they are not breaking any other nuisance or criminal laws.

Then people could close at 10pm, Midnight, 2am or 4am depending on their personal choice.

And customers could go out when they liked, too.

What has happened with the military enforcing arbitrary shutdowns is that bars are now closing because they have no customers, and customers aren't coming because they expect the bars to be shut.

went to a few well know bars in soi 7 nimman last night,and could not get a table in blar blar bar, and sit in just got the last one.never seen so many thais in the bars last night.

Bar in Nimman? Really? You mean bar Loi kroh style or thai pub?

went to a few well know bars in soi 7 nimman last night,and could not get a table in blar blar bar, and sit in just got the last one.never seen so many thais in the bars last night.

Are you serious? Many bars and restaurant bars on Nimmanhamin and the sois, definitely not Loi Kroh style, very few western customers, and staff that speak little or no English. Good Thai food, good beer promotions, lots of pretties and pretty customers.

In case all you guys didn't know, MOST Thai (not bar owners) prefer all bars to be closed after 1230 am! (go ask your Thai friend which I doubt any of you will ever have any!)

Well done for speaking/making stuff up on behalf of the Thai people.....

Heck, my wife prefers 8pm closing time to get me home again. ;)

Anyway with such things I don't think you can generalize; much like in any other country it'll be people with different lifestyles preferring different things.. older family people will likely prefer no bars and no noise and no temptations for their kids. Younger people however will likely view things differently. (Not saying this is an ageist thing, but you know what I mean.)

Are you serious? Many bars and restaurant bars on Nimmanhamin and the sois, definitely not Loi Kroh style, very few western customers, and staff that speak little or no English. Good Thai food, good beer promotions, lots of pretties and pretty customers.

That is what i meant...you missed the sarcasm. Plenty of places for thais full of thais (of course) with thai music, no bargirls, etc....we are talking about "foreigners" nightlife.

That is what i meant...you missed the sarcasm. Plenty of places for thais full of thais (of course) with thai music, no bargirls, etc....we are talking about "foreigners" nightlife.

Foreigners aren't excluded from the Nimmanhamin bars, and I've enjoyed time spent in several of them. More people should try them.

The topic is about late night nightlife in Chiang Mai, I don't think it's restricted to just farang oriented businesses. With that thought in mind, how are things in Santitham? Midnight closings are being strictly enforced in the old City, Loi Kroh and the Nimmanhamin area; are there enjoyable places that are allowed more flexibility in closing times in Santitham?

Last time I checked, the "Thai Bars" were very welcoming to the farang. If anything, it is the westerners not being willing to step out of their shadows and mingle with the Thais. Over the years, I have done most of my thai drinking in thai oriented bars, and that would include drinking at home, too. Ice in the beer is about the only thing that would prevent me from doing at least one.

Why should one be suspicious, after viewing this thread fom time to time, that many people who complain about the end of Chiang Mai nightlife are just too lazy or afraid to find a new comfortable place to do their pub thing?

For a quiet beer or two, or for noise and pretty girls, there are all sorts of places --- and always will be. It is odd that so many don't seem to be able to get beyond the noisey watering holes or silly tourist traps mentioned often on this thread! They seem insecure, frightened, or "above" assimilating.

Of some of them, why is it they have come so far to go to a "Down Under" bar or similar establishment in Chiang Mai? It would be simpler and more comfortable to go to the pub back home! Then they'd not have to do with pesky things like learning to speak Thai and be culturally comfortable!

Last time I checked, the "Thai Bars" were very welcoming to the farang. If anything, it is the westerners not being willing to step out of their shadows and mingle with the Thais. Over the years, I have done most of my thai drinking in thai oriented bars, and that would include drinking at home, too. Ice in the beer is about the only thing that would prevent me from doing at least one.

Well you can just ask them not to put ice in.. It's the same for me, I always have to specifically request a glass and ice in the tourist bars. They tend to give you a plain bottle in some sort of foam wrap thing as if I walked straight out of a Neanderthal cave.

Why should one be suspicious, after viewing this thread from time to time, that many people who complain about the end of Chiang Mai nightlife are just too lazy or afraid to find a new comfortable place to do their pub thing?

It is odd that so many don't seem to be able to get beyond the noisy watering holes or silly tourist traps mentioned often on this thread! They seem insecure, frightened, or "above" assimilating.

Not really. Or not only those things anyway. There are other reasons:

* After spending time at an office or village with mostly Thai people it's actually nice to speak Farang to someone when going out for a drink.

* Tourist bars are *really* suitable for going out by yourself. Thai people basically don't ever go out by themselves (other than a neighborhood Chang shack around the village corner). But when going to just about any proper venue in Nimman or elsewhere, this becomes a group thing. Even the seating layout is geared towards that: individual tables where groups can go drink amongst themselves with little interaction with others (until much later). Not a bar or other area more conducive to socializing.

* Related to the above, you can actually just order a mixed drink by the glass. Thai drinking places tend to involve lots of beer (big bottles at best, but more often jugs and towers), or whole bottles of booze. That's no problem when you've arranged a group of 6 or more people, but by yourself.. that just looks sad/weird/creepy.

* And then it's much easier to misbehave a bit in the tourist bars. You can do that at Nimman but chances are someone I know will see me. It's also really hard to get into serious altercations while misbehaving in a tourist bar, you really need to make a concerted effort before they'll as much as ask you to leave. :) In some local places bullets start flying when you as much as look at the wrong girl the wrong way. This is not helped by Thai girl attitudes, many of whom start flirting with a random guy just to make a point to their boyfriend when they've been in an argument. Then he gets six of his mates to beat you up, showing that he cares. Then the girl is like 'oh my hero, you DO care about me.'. Thank you but I'll just stick to a pro flirter in a tourist bar; less bulls#%t. (Never thought I'd say that but there you are.)

* Thai nightlife areas are plagued with drunk driving and insane road carnage. Be it Nimman, Santitham or the shacks on Sri Ping Muang, you can basically sit on any soi and wait for a crash somewhere, typically inches from my parked truck's paint job. Drunk driving is a skill that lots of motorcycle dudes (or chicks) really haven't mastered. Let alone the rich dude in daddies Benz. Take cover!

* More 'blues'.. I kind of appreciate a peek at the hard life / 'real' life at the lower end of society. (As opposed to yuppie poseurs)

* Girls are objectively less pretty, (with some very notable exceptions) but then again I'm not sure why this matters; I'm chatting with them, not marrying them. Some do manage a very appealing trashy-sexy look though that's definitely interesting after a beer or three.

* In general more easy to mingle and meet people. Actually mingling at Nimman (between groups) happens only really late at night when everyone is completely tanked up. Which coincides with when the trouble starts.

and some great groups as well on the music scene,they generally have a mixture of thai and english songs,listening to a couple of singers from italy,knocking out some great rock and roll songs at maldives the other week,so impressed with a group at sit in,i actually bought them a beer.

and some great groups as well on the music scene,they generally have a mixture of thai and english songs,listening to a couple of singers from italy,knocking out some great rock and roll songs at maldives the other week,so impressed with a group at sit in,i actually bought them a beer.

Love Maldives.

Also try Bar 22 across the road later in the evening - some great music.

As a rule of thumb, the tourist area bars have been forced to close at 1.00 a.m. max for years. LK, John's Place blah blah would all be dubbed up by then or then abouts. Yes, some would keep their doors open and take the risk - CU Corner for example and a few others tucked away.

The tourist run would then be Zoe, Spicy, Jack's Van for a fight, then Lucky Bar for the HIV lottery.

Hotshots for the oldies - Bar Eve for those that didn't want their heads kicked in at Jack's. So what's been lost? An hour or two at Zoe's - an opportunity to try your new found Muay Thai skills, and a lifetime of sniggering nurses pricking you with needles as you protest you didn't know it was a ladyboy.

There are still places you can go on the quiet - and yes, even they can ebb and flow depending on how cantankerous the police are - no one will die for the lack of a beer in Chiang Mai - especially those who live there and know their way about.

Well you can just ask them not to put ice in.. It's the same for me, I always have to specifically request a glass and ice in the tourist bars. They tend to give you a plain bottle in some sort of foam wrap thing as if I walked straight out of a Neanderthal cave.

Why should one be suspicious, after viewing this thread from time to time, that many people who complain about the end of Chiang Mai nightlife are just too lazy or afraid to find a new comfortable place to do their pub thing?

It is odd that so many don't seem to be able to get beyond the noisy watering holes or silly tourist traps mentioned often on this thread! They seem insecure, frightened, or "above" assimilating.

Not really. Or not only those things anyway. There are other reasons:

* After spending time at an office or village with mostly Thai people it's actually nice to speak Farang to someone when going out for a drink.

* Tourist bars are *really* suitable for going out by yourself. Thai people basically don't ever go out by themselves (other than a neighborhood Chang shack around the village corner). But when going to just about any proper venue in Nimman or elsewhere, this becomes a group thing. Even the seating layout is geared towards that: individual tables where groups can go drink amongst themselves with little interaction with others (until much later). Not a bar or other area more conducive to socializing.

* Related to the above, you can actually just order a mixed drink by the glass. Thai drinking places tend to involve lots of beer (big bottles at best, but more often jugs and towers), or whole bottles of booze. That's no problem when you've arranged a group of 6 or more people, but by yourself.. that just looks sad/weird/creepy.

* And then it's much easier to misbehave a bit in the tourist bars. You can do that at Nimman but chances are someone I know will see me. It's also really hard to get into serious altercations while misbehaving in a tourist bar, you really need to make a concerted effort before they'll as much as ask you to leave. smile.png In some local places bullets start flying when you as much as look at the wrong girl the wrong way. This is not helped by Thai girl attitudes, many of whom start flirting with a random guy just to make a point to their boyfriend when they've been in an argument. Then he gets six of his mates to beat you up, showing that he cares. Then the girl is like 'oh my hero, you DO care about me.'. Thank you but I'll just stick to a pro flirter in a tourist bar; less bulls#%t. (Never thought I'd say that but there you are.)

* Thai nightlife areas are plagued with drunk driving and insane road carnage. Be it Nimman, Santitham or the shacks on Sri Ping Muang, you can basically sit on any soi and wait for a crash somewhere, typically inches from my parked truck's paint job. Drunk driving is a skill that lots of motorcycle dudes (or chicks) really haven't mastered. Let alone the rich dude in daddies Benz. Take cover!

* More 'blues'.. I kind of appreciate a peek at the hard life / 'real' life at the lower end of society. (As opposed to yuppie poseurs)

* Girls are objectively less pretty, (with some very notable exceptions) but then again I'm not sure why this matters; I'm chatting with them, not marrying them. Some do manage a very appealing trashy-sexy look though that's definitely interesting after a beer or three.

* In general more easy to mingle and meet people. Actually mingling at Nimman (between groups) happens only really late at night when everyone is completely tanked up. Which coincides with when the trouble starts.

Some valid points, some exaggerated points.

I agree with you about meeting new people--easy in tourist bars, difficult in Thai bars. Most of my Thai friends I met somewhere other than a bar.

I agree that it is more fun to go to Thai bars with a group of friends, and even better if some of the friends are Thai. Especially on a Friday or Saturday night it is sad to sit alone at a table in a crowded Thai bar. Fortunately I have some Thai friends, and none of them are yuppie poseurs, none of them are rich or pretentious, and all of them are fun people to hang out with. They're not the Mercedes and BMW crowd, though two of them co-own and economy Nissan.

I sometimes go to Thai bars by myself on weeknights and early evenings, when they aren't busy, for beer and food at very good prices served by pretty ladies. If I make a good choice of bars (small places are best) I can even chat with one or more pretties and waitresses--many of them are students and some like to practice English when they aren't too busy. It's a "talk but don't touch" chat, and so far it's never led to anything, but it's free and it's fun.

I'm not sure what kind of misbehaving you are referring to, unless it is the kind where you buy a hooker ladydrinks and she allows you to fondle her. I agree that is fun, and you better not try it in a Nimmanhamin bar (excluding the Housewives Club of course). There is no question the Loi Kroh bars are better for some types of fun.

I think you overstate the risk of going to Thai bars. There was a tragic shooting in the Nimmanhamin area two or three years ago, but other than that I've never witnessed or heard of fights in the bars in this area, while I've heard of many in the Zoe and Spicy areas. Also the drunk driving risk is everywhere in Chiang Mai; I don't think it is significantly greater in the Nimmanhanim area, and the risk of drowning in a moat is significantly less.

Back to the topic, there are different kinds of bars in Chiang Mai where people can have different kinds of fun, but they are all being squeezed by the police--midnight closings which require last call well before midnight. I think that most of us agree that sucks.

Nimman area isn't bad for night life for me. Maybe it's more for the younger crowd. santitham too.

Archived