Looks Like The ( Late Night ) Life Has Been Sucked Out Of CM

PostmanPat

Don't know where you were at 1am when the crowds at Warm Up Bar on Nimmanhaemindha were spilling out onto the street. Times have changed in CM and perhaps you need to explore new happening places. There is plenty of nightlife in this town.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know where you were at 1am when the crowds at Warm Up Bar on Nimmanhaemindha were spilling out onto the street. Times have changed in CM and perhaps you need to explore new happening places. There is plenty of nightlife in this town.

Indeed Warm Up was the only place I did not check, also because it is not really a new happening place, as you might think. When dozens of bars and restaurants which were open until 1 or 2 am still a week ago and are now closing at 12, then I think it is worth reporting and confirms this thread's title indicating that (late) night life in CM has gotten poorer.

Compared to Riyadh, yes. Describing the handful of establishments that are permitted to stay open after midnight because they bribe the police as "plenty of nightlife" is absurd.

Not sure what you are hoping for. If you're not happy with a 1 or 2am close start drinking earlier, or hop on a plane and head down to Sukhumvhit Soi 11!

Oh terrific, so now if we want to have a sophisticated relaxed drink that happens to go a bit past midnight, we have to jump a plane and go to Bangkok? Since when and who decided that Chiang Mai ( and only Chiang Mai.....Phuket, Bangkok etc operating as normal til 3 or 4am !!) is now classed as a narrow minded old fashioned IS or Taliban state?

Great for encouraging ongoing tourism. As I said earlier in the thread, surrounding places which are challenging Chiang Mai in the World Tourism stakes such as Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, Yangon, Vietnam, all have a much more relaxed demeanour. If Chiang Mai continues like this, it will pay the price. People here now had already booked, but have no doubt, negative reports about the current state of things here will be filtering back to various countries as we speak!

You're seriously suggesting Luang Prabang is a better bet for late night drinking than Chiang Mai?

As things stand right now? Yes I am. Example. Luang Prabang has a number of Wine Bars selling decent Wine much cheaper than the Supermarket price in Chiang Mai. Example? Mouton Cadet, 1200 baht a bottle in Rimping. Just over 300 baht in a decent pleasant Wine Bar in Luang Prabang, and even less expensive in the retail outlets there! Also need to point out its not about the noise and frolics, I dont do that, its about the ability to relax in a nice environment whilst imbibing of a pleasant glass of wine or whatever, something you can definitely do in Luang Prabang, or Siem Reap without the boys in blue putting the shutters down and forcing you to go home!

It's kind of pathetic that people can't remove their own preferences and lifestyle from the discussion. Personally, when I go out, I'm usually done by 10 pm. 3 big boys of Leo, and it's time to call it a night. However, I can understand that some people like to stay out later, and some people don't like to go out at all.

I think it is reasonable to say that regardless of your lifestyle choices, a society is best run through due process, rather than one person snapping their fingers and changing the rules on a whim. For example, I don't smoke. Do I think it should be illegal? No. Do I think it should be one person's decision, made over night, whether or not cigarettes should be legal or not? No. Do I think a legislative body should be able to weigh the pros and cons of the legality of smoking cigarettes. Sure. Where do the rest of you stand?

It's kind of pathetic that people can't remove their own preferences and lifestyle from the discussion. Personally, when I go out, I'm usually done by 10 pm. 3 big boys of Leo, and it's time to call it a night. However, I can understand that some people like to stay out later, and some people don't like to go out at all.

I think it is reasonable to say that regardless of your lifestyle choices, a society is best run through due process, rather than one person snapping their fingers and changing the rules on a whim. For example, I don't smoke. Do I think it should be illegal? No. Do I think it should be one person's decision, made over night, whether or not cigarettes should be legal or not? No. Do I think a legislative body should be able to weigh the pros and cons of the legality of smoking cigarettes. Sure. Where do the rest of you stand?

Indeed, I seem to recall Ne Win doing exactly these sort of things, which led to disastrous consequences for Burma.

Just as a matter of interest is "Warm Up" within the 300m . I have heard a couple of people say it will be the last (only?) place standing.

It is definitely within 300 meters of CMU property, the land on either side of Nimmanhamin a little south of Warm-Up is used by CMU for agriculture projects, a fitness area, University Center, and maybe a few other things.

It seems like the 300m nonsense has been put on the back-burner for now, hopefully it will be forgotten. However daily arbitrary changes to closing times seems to be normal now.

Maybe it's one of those things they could find out by asking arriving passengers for their opinions?

It should not be one single person´s lonely decision, of course, but that is exactly what is happening right now in Thailand.

Not sure what you are hoping for. If you're not happy with a 1 or 2am close start drinking earlier, or hop on a plane and head down to Sukhumvhit Soi 11!

Going to Sukhumvit? I did as you suggested a few times but for practical reasons I cannot do it every night. Also, Soi 11 has degraded and has seen its best times years ago.

So what am I hoping for? Nothing. I hope that soon this country will base their decisions on a democratic process again.

Oh terrific, so now if we want to have a sophisticated relaxed drink that happens to go a bit past midnight, we have to jump a plane and go to Bangkok? Since when and who decided that Chiang Mai ( and only Chiang Mai.....Phuket, Bangkok etc operating as normal til 3 or 4am !!) is now classed as a narrow minded old fashioned IS or Taliban state?

Great for encouraging ongoing tourism. As I said earlier in the thread, surrounding places which are challenging Chiang Mai in the World Tourism stakes such as Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, Yangon, Vietnam, all have a much more relaxed demeanour. If Chiang Mai continues like this, it will pay the price. People here now had already booked, but have no doubt, negative reports about the current state of things here will be filtering back to various countries as we speak!

Great for encouraging what, tourism? I don't think people visit Chiang Mai or not because of bars closing early. Tourists come for daytime pursuits like visiting temples, hill tribe villages and national parks.

I also don't recall Luang Prabang, Siem Reap or Yangon having a more "relaxed demeanour"with regards bar closing times. In all those places, except for karaoke lounges, doors close on time very quickly and not particularly later than in Chiang Mai.

Don't forget the studies that showed that alcoho- related accidents are reduced when bars close earlier. I'm sure CM roads would be safer without drunk drivers choosing to drive home in the early hours. If you want to have your quiet late night drink, why not do it at home on your balcony!

Great for encouraging what, tourism? I don't think people visit Chiang Mai or not because of bars closing early. Tourists come for daytime pursuits like visiting temples, hill tribe villages and national parks.

I also don't recall Luang Prabang, Siem Reap or Yangon having a more "relaxed demeanour"with regards bar closing times. In all those places, except for karaoke lounges, doors close on time very quickly and not particularly later than in Chiang Mai.

Don't forget the studies that showed that alcoho- related accidents are reduced when bars close earlier. I'm sure CM roads would be safer without drunk drivers choosing to drive home in the early hours. If you want to have your quiet late night drink, why not do it at home on your balcony!

You could argue that the roads will get more dangerous because the drunk drivers will be hitting the roads earlier when there is more traffic about.

You could argue that the roads will get more dangerous because the drunk drivers will be hitting the roads earlier when there is more traffic about.

And that they may have to drive to find somewhere open.

Even in a good muslim country like the UAE, the bars close at 2am and the clubs even later.

I'll say it again, this leadership should be called the Thailiban.

They're a bunch of schoolkids with power they are incapable of wielding in a wise and mature fashion.

Don't forget the studies that showed that alcoho- related accidents are reduced when bars close earlier.

Or other studies that say it just encourages binge drinking, then everyone being outside (and on the road) at the same time.

UK research especially, where they've dabbled with such things.

Even better reason to get home at 10pm before the crowds start pouring out smashed out of their brains and then in their cars at midnight or so.

Don't forget the studies that showed that alcoho- related accidents are reduced when bars close earlier.

Or other studies that say it just encourages binge drinking, then everyone being outside (and on the road) at the same time.

UK research especially, where they've dabbled with such things.

it's very reminiscent of the UK 11pm last orders closing in CM just now. only with everyone being turfed out onto the streets at the same time getting into cars and onto motorbikes rather than having fights in the taxi and/or kebab shop queue. i don't really see how this current crackdown is good for chiang mai in any way.

One of chiang mais big appeals for me, moving here only 4 years ago was the young urban thai scene.. And sure while its still there on Niman now its VERY much more sedate, both due to economics and current closing implementation.

I do hope if comes back around, as long term I dont really want to remain somewhere thats as tightly controlled as midnight closures.. Its not just the time limit its the general attitudes of control.

I see the sign at Zoe Yellow say closed for refurbishment and will reopen 6 September. Maybe that will bring the life back into the area. We shall have to wait and see.

There is a sign on Infinity in Thai, which I don't read well. I did make out "reo reo nii". Infinity was known for serving underage drinkers, I wonder it they are also temporarily closed for refurbishment.

Ha!

I have actually never, ever, been to a bar in Thailand, even though I have been in Thailand for over two years.

I do not see the point, really, since it all looks quite boring to me, and one just sits there and listens to people basically talk nonsense, while they drink and become ever more illogical by the minute.

Of course, I have been to bars in other countries in East Asia, China, America, HK, and a few other places, but I just have had no urge to walk into a bar in Chiang Mai, or any other Thailand city.

I must admit that it might be fun to go in for a beer and see what happens, except that I am afraid the risks might outweigh any possible entertainment value.

As far as women are concerned, I mean meeting them, I really think it is much better to meet women where one finds those who share ones interests, for example reading.

I think that there must be some really smart and interesting ladies in libraries around here, but I have not yet tried this either.

Actually, what I think that I would prefer is to just go to BKK and sample some really posh eateries, I mean the really good stuff, and then order a glass of wine, and see what happens if I might meet a really interesting chick or something.

I have not given it much thought, since I have been so busy, but maybe some time in the future I will get to go to a bar, or something.

Ha!

I have actually never, ever, been to a bar in Thailand, even though I have been in Thailand for over two years.

I do not see the point, really, since it all looks quite boring to me, and one just sits there and listens to people basically talk nonsense, while they drink and become ever more illogical by the minute.

Of course, I have been to bars in other countries in East Asia, China, America, HK, and a few other places, but I just have had no urge to walk into a bar in Chiang Mai, or any other Thailand city.

I must admit that it might be fun to go in for a beer and see what happens, except that I am afraid the risks might outweigh any possible entertainment value.

As far as women are concerned, I mean meeting them, I really think it is much better to meet women where one finds those who share ones interests, for example reading.

I think that there must be some really smart and interesting ladies in libraries around here, but I have not yet tried this either.

Actually, what I think that I would prefer is to just go to BKK and sample some really posh eateries, I mean the really good stuff, and then order a glass of wine, and see what happens if I might meet a really interesting chick or something.

I have not given it much thought, since I have been so busy, but maybe some time in the future I will get to go to a bar, or something.

Struggling to understand why somebody would post such nonsensical drivel as this.

Just stating my opinion that every minute spent in a bar is (for me) a wasted minute of my life during which time I could be accomplishing something or enjoying something.

I am replying to the poster's topic regarding the dearth of night life in Chiang Mai, and why.

I suppose that fewer people are frequenting bards since they chose to do other things, just as I so chose myself.

Ha!

Struggling to understand why somebody would post such nonsensical drivel as this.

Just stating my opinion that every minute spent in a bar is (for me) a wasted minute of my life during which time I could be accomplishing something or enjoying something.

I am replying to the poster's topic regarding the dearth of night life in Chiang Mai, and why.

I suppose that fewer people are frequenting bards since they chose to do other things, just as I so chose myself.

By your own admission you've never even visited a Bar in Thailand, so how can you ever contribute to this thread? This threat is affecting many people's livliehooods.

Ha!

By your own admission you've never even visited a Bar in Thailand, so how can you ever contribute to this thread? This threat is affecting many people's livliehooods.

Well, if you want to get more clientele into the bars, then you need to do some sort of marketing research to find out what people want from their bar experience.

Maybe that might help.

I recall that one of the bars I used to like had many books from floor to ceiling, and fine furniture, with soft lighting, and good crystalware to drink out of.

It is just a matter of taste, I suppose, and so pub owners and bar owners need to be aware of changing tastes, not to mention the changing age groups, and the different cultures which are perhaps not the same as the guys who originally enjoyed the more traditional Thai bar experience.

Ha!

Well, if you want to get more clientele into the bars, then you need to do some sort of marketing research to find out what people want from their bar experience.

Maybe that might help.

I recall that one of the bars I used to like had many books from floor to ceiling, and fine furniture, with soft lighting, and good crystalware to drink out of.

It is just a matter of taste, I suppose, and so pub owners and bar owners need to be aware of changing tastes, not to mention the changing age groups, and the different cultures which are perhaps not the same as the guys who originally enjoyed the more traditional Thai bar experience.

I've got just the bar for you and it's on Thonglor Road in Bangkok. The bar is called Iron Fairies opposite Thonglor Soi 13 and it's a quiet place most evenings frequented by wealthy Thais with tastes for fine wine and food. Easy to meet and chat with people, very friendly clientele. There is live jazz music; last time I was there a Thai singer with a fabulous voice. Place starts to pick up around 9 or 10pm and people start to move onto other places around midnight. Definitely worth your effort to get there next time you're in BKK.

Ha!

Maybe that might help.

I've got just the bar for you and it's on Thonglor Road in Bangkok. The bar is called Iron Fairies opposite Thonglor Soi 13 and it's a quiet place most evenings frequented by wealthy Thais with tastes for fine wine and food. Easy to meet and chat with people, very friendly clientele. There is live jazz music; last time I was there a Thai singer with a fabulous voice. Place starts to pick up around 9 or 10pm and people start to move onto other places around midnight. Definitely worth your effort to get there next time you're in BKK.

Sounds nice, I will go some day, if I can, and I will listen to Ella if they have her. When I think of Iron, however, I usually think of Iron Maidens.

Went to eat out with little brother yesterday night. He and his wife used to sell bbq squid next to bars on the super highway (4-5 bars for teenagers with live football), about 200m after Mae rim road intersection heading to suthep. They don't do it anymore, too quiet before 10pm and deadly quiet after. These bars used to be packed... After our meal (11pm), we wanted to go for another drink and talk. Went to similar bar close to maya. We were told that they would close at 12 as the police would probably come as usual.

Yes, night life in CM changes... Not that it bothers me too much (you can always find solutions) but prohibition scares me a lot...

Well, soon back up country where life is still different.

Cheers

Archived