The Crossroad! Which way to go? Dip the toes & run out of time or take the plunge.

rockyysdt

Occasionally I see deeper meaning in song lyrics I come across.

The Wanderer, performed by Johnny Cash & U2.

I went out there in search of experience
To taste and to touch and to feel as much

As a man can before he repents.

Repent: To feel such sorrow or fault as to be disposed to change ones life for the better.

We wander through life, addicted to our personal combination of desires, aversions, and delusions, as we attempt to satiate that which is insatiable (lyrics: as much as a man can).

How do we break away from this (lyrics: repent) as we cling to Form, Sensation, Perception, Mental Formations, Consciousness (the 5 skandas:) which fuel attachment to Ego?

Is it by short daily Sitting practice, and daily attempts at growing Mindfulness during our wakeful days?

Is this akin to dipping ones toes in the pool, as we ultimately run out of time, age taking its toll and ending in our unfulfilled demise?

Or do we walk away from our loved ones, those dependent on us, and our life as we know it, to devote every precious second towards diligent full time practice?

An immense Crossroad.

Rocky,

I would say that Westerners who become interested in experimenting with Buddhist practices tend to be those who have experienced a general dissatisfaction or malaise with the 'normal' materialistic lifestyle of self-aggrandisement and the accumulation of possessions, and who are probably also philosophically inclined, as I am.

I imagine that such feelings of unease about the general human condition begin at an early age, then perhaps some time later in life, the main Buddhist principles of the illusory nature of the 'self' and the 'ego', and the potential of the methods for solving the problem of suffering at all levels, begin to resonate and make sense.

However, leaving those one loves or feels a responsibility for, and/or disposing of one's possessions and assets, is an extreme step. Perhaps the Buddhist principle of the Middle Way, or 'everything in moderation', can help here. wink.png

However, leaving those one loves or feels a responsibility for, and/or disposing of one's possessions and assets, is an extreme step. Perhaps the Buddhist principle of the Middle Way, or 'everything in moderation', can help here

This is what a serious Bikkhu must do.

Knowing that such a difficult task needed full time devotion, isn't this why the Buddha set up such an institution?

Many have said that the purpose of practice isn't just for relaxation, but to extinguish Dukkha.

Isn't any aim short of this not worth pursuing?

Rocky,

I remember there was a recent thread where someone criticised the Buddha for leaving his wife and young child in order to search for a solution to the suffering that he'd witnessed when he left the sanctuary of his palace for the first time.

My response was that Gautama would have been confident that his wife and child would have been well taken care of, considering Gauatama's wealthy circumstances and the presence of, presumably, a large extended family in the palace, and an abundance of servants.

In other words, a concern and worry about the welfare of his family would not necessarily have presented any additional obstacle to his achieving enlightenment.

I think it's also reasonable to presume in that ancient society in India, 2,500 years ago, with great inequality, an unfair caste system, a lack of basic medical services for the poor, and of course a complete lack of the sorts of medical procedures and antibiotics that we are used to today, which greatly reduce our suffering and extend our lifespan, that the degree of suffering which Gautama would have witnessed would have been truly awful and very disturbing.

I think these are some of the factors that should be taken into consideration. We're not living during the times of the Buddha. Our circumstances in general might be different, and each individual's circumstances will vary. What is appropriate for one person may not be the best option for another. I'm not sure an 'all or nothing' approach is the best recommendation.

Once again, the Kalama Sutta might offer some relevant advice. Try to work out for yourself what is best for yourself and others when receiving broad and general advice from the wise. (My interpretation of course wink.png ).

Archived