non imm o report from Vientiane. Sad

Made the trip to Vientiane for non imm o based on retirement. I had with me. My passport, application with photos my bankbook (have the 800k+ for some years).

Also made photocopy of bankbook and passport. Bankbook updated yesterday. The IO asks (a) where is your letter from bank. (Thought I only needed that when I go for extension at bkk) ...also (B) where is my house book. (Again thought I only needed that for extension application)

I stayed calm, almost pleading and said I had sort out advice and was under impression I did not require these docs. Eventually he stapled my Thai bankbook to my passport and basically said "will see if its approved from higher up....come back tomorrow.

Was I just stupid to overlook these docs? Will report outcome tomorrow arvo.

There have been no reports of them wanting a letter form the bank before. Same for a house book. Most people don't even have one.

If you paid the 2000 baht fee I think you will have a visa sticker in your passport when you go back tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe. My problem ...yes sticker say 2000baht. But it not in passport. Only ticket he give me.

More upset now because I ask same IO do I go pay now. He say pay tomorrow.

Then after back Vientiane someone say I need go inside pay money. What is so hard about telling people what to do. Now thinking because I not pay maybe stuffed.

Might add had Thai gf with me. Geeezus

Edited by jacksam

Reading into ubonjoe advice..."if you paid the 2000baht..."

Really what more can I do than ask 2 times..."do I go pay fee now in building" answer NO... Pay tomorrow.

Also with respect to ubonjoe... (Legend BTW)

You now have heard report from IO asking for bank letter and house book ....because it happened few hours ago.

Bit upset as fly out bkk in few days on what maybe stamp exempt. I give up

Reading into ubonjoe advice..."if you paid the 2000baht..."

Really what more can I do than ask 2 times..."do I go pay fee now in building" answer NO... Pay tomorrow.

Also with respect to ubonjoe... (Legend BTW)

You now have heard report from IO asking for bank letter and house book ....because it happened few hours ago.

Bit upset as fly out bkk in few days on what maybe stamp exempt. I give up

Did you give your passport and other documentation to somebody outside the building ?

No Nowretired ....did the process me myself I.

The IO was very confident that I needed what outlined above. I'm not peed off with TV. Had so much help from mods and members. Just feel I did all what was required and maybe on verge of rejection. Feel flat

Good luck Jacksam. I will be trying my luck later this year for a non O also. My last run was to Vientianne and it was a shambles. You should of read my post. My advice was to avoid Vientianne at all cost. My biggest problem was with the Laos IOs at the bridge. I was first to pay my fee, including the extra $1 early fee and it was about 3.5 hours waiting before I finally got my passport back. Disgustingly inept.

Bulldozer. On a positive side for me was the loas side was very smoothe . The tuk tuk thing from bridge was nightmare. Hope members avoid that. Also was 100 baht each and stopped often. Took ages to arrive. The process at Thai consulate was good. Feel its sad that we have to trouble the mods here when we should be able to get definitive info from Thai consulate web sites.

Last time I checked Melbourne AU consulate site...they offer non imm o based on retirement. Fact is THEY DONT

The requirements are not complex just need correct web sites. If they were a business that was accountable..they would be out of business

Bulldozer. On a positive side for me was the loas side was very smoothe . The tuk tuk thing from bridge was nightmare. Hope members avoid that. Also was 100 baht each and stopped often. Took ages to arrive. The process at Thai consulate was good. Feel its sad that we have to trouble the mods here when we should be able to get definitive info from Thai consulate web sites.

Last time I checked Melbourne AU consulate site...they offer non imm o based on retirement. Fact is THEY DONT

The requirements are not complex just need correct web sites. If they were a business that was accountable..they would be out of business

Yep. The core of most of the problems Thailand is faced with is lack of accountability.

Just imagine an Australian senior public servant coming to work here at an immigration office and asking, so...where are your continuous improvement policy and procedures.

Please report back on your outcome because in a few months I have to make a non O also. If Vientiane is a wash...I will have to do the death bus run to Penang.

• Like 1

The IO was very confident that I needed what outlined above. I'm not peed off with TV. Had so much help from mods and members. Just feel I did all what was required and maybe on verge of rejection. Feel flat

Nitpick: You keep saying IO, but you were talking with a consular clerk, most likely a Lao national. Not an immigration officer.

Nitpick: You keep saying IO, but you were talking with a consular clerk, most likely a Lao national. Not an immigration officer.

Thai Embassies and Thai Counsels do not have IO's they are not Thai Immigration. They answer only to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Each one tends to make up their own rules.

Yep. The core of most of the problems Thailand is faced with is lack of accountability.

Just imagine an Australian senior public servant coming to work here at an immigration office and asking, so...where are your continuous improvement policy and procedures.

Please report back on your outcome because in a few months I have to make a non O also. If Vientiane is a wash...I will have to do the death bus run to Penang.

Death bus run...soooo true,be at the moment there and even my wife says I drive crazy those guys can't be topped...rather fly

Bulldozer, just curious what the death bus to Penang run costs? I fly to KL with AirAsia stay 2 nights near Chinatown and costs for that were just over 3000bht. Plus 110M$ for a 2 mth visa. Being over 50, I would apply for a non-Imm O but Thai Consulate sites state clearly that you need to be same nationality as application office (Malaysian) or be a permanent resident there, neither apply. Brisbane used to be a cert non-imm O but sigh, they closed the office this year. Perth looks like the cheapest alternative to get to in Oz.

ps AirAsia have a good promo on right now..no, I dont work for them!

Bulldozer, just curious what the death bus to Penang run costs? I fly to KL with AirAsia stay 2 nights near Chinatown and costs for that were just over 3000bht. Plus 110M$ for a 2 mth visa. Being over 50, I would apply for a non-Imm O but Thai Consulate sites state clearly that you need to be same nationality as application office (Malaysian) or be a permanent resident there, neither apply. Brisbane used to be a cert non-imm O but sigh, they closed the office this year. Perth looks like the cheapest alternative to get to in Oz.

If you are wanting a multiple entry non-o visa you can get one in Penang if you have a bank book showing 800k baht or have proof of 65k baht income.

If you can meet those requirements it would be best to get a single entry non-o and then apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

If you are wanting a multiple entry non-o visa you can get one in Penang if you have a bank book showing 800k baht or have proof of 65k baht income.

If you can meet those requirements it would be best to get a single entry non-o and then apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

That appears to be the way to go, however I dont wish to commit 800K to a Thai bank. Prices I heard quoted for visa runs Phuket to Penang in the 4-5000baht range with an 11hr death bus ride, prefer to fly to KL as its cheaper and quicker. The flights to Penang from Phuket are a ripoff.

Tempted to pack up and move to Penang, period. Malaysia gives 3mth entry free of charge, then maybe do things in reverse and cross into Thailand each 3 months. The numerous times I have been thru that country and never once been asked what am I doing there? Different attitude entirely. Biggest complaint most folks have about Malaysia is the cost of beer which is a bit steep!

Edited by ja99

That appears to be the way to go, however I dont wish to commit 800K to a Thai bank. Prices I heard quoted for visa runs Phuket to Penang in the 4-5000baht range with an 11hr death bus ride, prefer to fly to KL as its cheaper and quicker. The flights to Penang from Phuket are a ripoff.

Tempted to pack up and move to Penang, period. Malaysia gives 3mth entry free of charge, then maybe do things in reverse and cross into Thailand each 3 months. The numerous times I have been thru that country and never once been asked what am I doing there? Different attitude entirely. Biggest complaint most folks have about Malaysia is the cost of beer which is a bit steep!

There is the income option or a combination of money in the bank and income to totaling 800k baht.

If you don't want to put the money in the bank here you should go to Australia and get a OA long stay visa from the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney. It would give you almost 2 years of total stay without needing to get a new visa.

I think you will find that you cannot get a multiple entry non-o in Australia now for being 50 or over.

There is the income option or a combination of money in the bank and income to totaling 800k baht.

If you don't want to put the money in the bank here you should go to Australia and get a OA long stay visa from the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney. It would give you almost 2 years of total stay without needing to get a new visa.

I think you will find that you cannot get a multiple entry non-o in Australia now for being 50 or over.

Probably worth the effort to get 2 years entry, however this list shows what is required for the application, including the police and health checks:

1. A passport valid no less than one year and a half
2. Four completed and signed
Visa Application Form
(attached with one
photo for each visa application form).
3. A
Personal Data Form
4. A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount e
qual to
no
less than 800,000 Baht
, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a
monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus
monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.
5. In the case of the bank statement,
a letter of guarantee from the bank
(an original copy) is to be shown as well.
6. Verification stating that the
applicant has no criminal record
issued from
the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verificati
on shall be valid
for no more than 3 months).
7. A
Medical certificate
issued from the country where the application is
submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in th
e Miniterial
Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for no
more
than 3 months)
8. In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse s
tay together
in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the O-A code v
isa, their
marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence. (
The spouse will
be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the

'O' Code)

In other words, not a simple process is it? A pain, to say the least. Just a pity the Brisbane office has closed, as I said before a non-imm O visa was painless, a same day process just show a copy of your bank statement fill the form in and collect passport in the afternoon. Sydney maybe a better choice but I bet that is a busy office, which brings me back to the Perth office as easiest and cheapest to get to..

Maybe a bit off topic but when a guy is here (in Thailand) on an extension based on marriage can he then "convert" to an extension based on retirement?

Edited by MZurf

Maybe a bit off topic but when a guy is here (in Thailand) on an extension based on marriage can he then "convert" to an extension based on retirement?

Yes it is possible to change the reason for an extension based upon marriage to retirement.

Nonthaburi immigration just started requiring a house book from our landlord when we took my mother-in-law for her retirement visa last May. They warned us then they would require it for our caretaker visa as well when it came due.

Also was in Vientiane today - the payment wasn't clear at the outset, but at least many of us were told to pay when we came back to get our passports/visas this afternoon and that worked fine for everyone around me going up to the window to get theirs.

A little note for this office - even though the form doesn't say it's required, they want, even for tourist visa, a copy of not just the main page of your passport which the form says, but also your entry card page for Thailand, and also, for whatever reason, a copy of the page with the Laos entry stamp and visa. I had to go get it and return to the officer at the desk for the Lao one, that hadn't occurred to me as possible, no harm done, but after a few hours in the heat it's nicer to have already had it done.

They asked me for documentation even though I had the Embassy Letter. I was using the monthly income method. Supposedly, the Embassy Letter should suffice but I came prepared for any eventuality. I had verification from Social Security and my state pension, plus documentation from an annuity that I receive.

Probably worth the effort to get 2 years entry, however this list shows what is required for the application, including the police and health checks:

1. A passport valid no less than one year and a half

2. Four completed and signed

Visa Application Form

(attached with one

photo for each visa application form).

3. A

Personal Data Form

4. A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount e

qual to

no

less than 800,000 Baht

, or an income certificate (an original copy) with a

monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus

monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

5. In the case of the bank statement,

a letter of guarantee from the bank

(an original copy) is to be shown as well.

6. Verification stating that the

applicant has no criminal record

issued from

the country of his/her nationality or residence (the verificati

on shall be valid

for no more than 3 months).

7. A

Medical certificate

issued from the country where the application is

submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in th

e Miniterial

Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for no

more

than 3 months)

8. In the case that the applicant wishes to have his/her spouse s

tay together

in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the O-A code v

isa, their

marriage certificate shall also be produced as evidence. (

The spouse will

be considered for the Visa for Temporary Residents under the

'O' Code)

In other words, not a simple process is it? A pain, to say the least. Just a pity the Brisbane office has closed, as I said before a non-imm O visa was painless, a same day process just show a copy of your bank statement fill the form in and collect passport in the afternoon. Sydney maybe a better choice but I bet that is a busy office, which brings me back to the Perth office as easiest and cheapest to get to..

For anyone married considering the OA, don't count on the part about your spouse being considered for a non-o based on your visa. Immigration will NOT grant it, snd will tell you that the MFA doesn't make the rules - THEY do.

You will be stuck with no way for your spouse to remain with you legally. Sad, but true.

Welcome to Thailand.

For anyone married considering the OA, don't count on the part about your spouse being considered for a non-o based on your visa. Immigration will NOT grant it, snd will tell you that the MFA doesn't make the rules - THEY do.

You will be stuck with no way for your spouse to remain with you legally. Sad, but true.

Welcome to Thailand.

Since August 29th of last year when Police Order 327/2557 went into effect clause 2.20 now allows the spouse of a non-oa visa holder to get a an extension as their dependent. They do need to get a single entry non-o visa to apply for the extension.

• Like 1

I recently travelled to Vientiane to switch from a Non B visa to a non O as I have retired. I had to get a letter from the British Embassy to confirm my pension income which was the most expensive part of the process at just under 2500 Baht. I did not need to show any bank book/statement or provide proof of my address However apart from that the whole procedure was quite straightforward and they have a chart on the wall by the windows showing the steps involved and where to do each bit. If your car is not on finance you can even drive over to Laos yourself with a car passport which can be obtained in Nong Khai and with the purchase of insurance for Laos. (remembering to drive on the "wrong side").

I got my last visa in Penang which was also OK but poorer value for travel and hotels.

The queue was long to get a number and you need to run the usual gauntlet of "helpful" people outside the embassy - but the form you need is inside.

Hells bells the topic has developed. Anyway here is the update. ....yes obtained my single entry non imm o based on retirement. As Paz pointed out the clerk is not an IO. His advise was incorrect. Keep in mind he tried to hand back my application TWICE. was only when I stated ..."why do I need a house book....I have one but what if I was using my non imm 90 days to obtain a lease.

Also it seems now Vientiane consulate requires payment on collection day.

As for process , I won't bore members. I will never do a border gig again.

I would love it if say Saigon did non imm o based on retirement. Such a smoother consulate and chilled city for holiday. Stuff buses and all the other stuff.

Ubon is again correct about non imm o for my gig in AU.

They want to issue OA. BTW the process isn't hard. Any questions message me no problem.

I'm back in udon. Thank goodness

Hells bells the topic has developed. Anyway here is the update. ....yes obtained my single entry non imm o based on retirement. As Paz pointed out the clerk is not an IO. His advise was incorrect. Keep in mind he tried to hand back my application TWICE. was only when I stated ..."why do I need a house book....I have one but what if I was using my non imm 90 days to obtain a lease.

Also it seems now Vientiane consulate requires payment on collection day.

As for process , I won't bore members. I will never do a border gig again.

I would love it if say Saigon did non imm o based on retirement. Such a smoother consulate and chilled city for holiday. Stuff buses and all the other stuff.

Ubon is again correct about non imm o for my gig in AU.

They want to issue OA. BTW the process isn't hard. Any questions message me no problem.

I'm back in udon. Thank goodness

good news.

Can you please list in bullet points exactly what you handed over to make your application?

I know two fellas here in Chiang Mai who both recieved a non-o in Vientian without any problems: letter of income from consulate, all of the proper forms filled out but no proof of residence. They are both Scotish and they did use an agent for thir applications, the last one was about 4 weeks ago.