Sweet basil (O. basilicum)

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. Mods, feel free to move this to the Thai language section if that is more appropriate.

What is "sweet basil' aka Italian long leaf basil" in Thai?

Thanking you in advance.

Horapha, often pronounced Wholapha.

Thank you for replying, I much appreciate it. I am by no means an expert in this, but I'm pretty sure "horapha" (ใบโหระพา) is Thai basil (O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora), a subvariant of O. basilicum, and not to be confused with Sweet basil (aka Italian long leaf basil).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil

You’re right Djayz. Horapha is indeed Thai sweet basil and the Italian one you’re looking for is a different plant altogether.

Having said that, they look very similar but the aroma and flavour are very different.Additionally, the Thai version has a slightly thicker leaf and, to my mind, a coarser flavour.

As far as cooking is concerned, they are definitely not interchangeable. Thai basil in a tomato sauce with pasta just does not work. Similarly Italian Basil doesn’t have the requisite punch to accompany Thai food.

The short answer to your original question is that there is no Thai name for Italian sweet basil, although “horapha farang” would seem appropriate.

We have 2 or 3 Italian basil plants growing nicely at the moment and my wife has been struck by the different aroma they give off, therefore she has named them “horapha hom” meaning scented basil.

Hope this helps

You’re right Djayz. Horapha is indeed Thai sweet basil and the Italian one you’re looking for is a different plant altogether.

Having said that, they look very similar but the aroma and flavour are very different.Additionally, the Thai version has a slightly thicker leaf and, to my mind, a coarser flavour.

As far as cooking is concerned, they are definitely not interchangeable. Thai basil in a tomato sauce with pasta just does not work. Similarly Italian Basil doesn’t have the requisite punch to accompany Thai food.

The short answer to your original question is that there is no Thai name for Italian sweet basil, although “horapha farang” would seem appropriate.

We have 2 or 3 Italian basil plants growing nicely at the moment and my wife has been struck by the different aroma they give off, therefore she has named them “horapha hom” meaning scented basil.

Hope this helps

Thank you Mr John, much appreciate it. I suppose it makes sense that there isn't a Thai name for it.

• 4 months later...

I've already answered this on a different thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751170-italian-basil/#entry8236767

Perfect! Thank you so much AyG!! I did a search for "basil" before I posting, but didn't find what I was looking for (I never really know what to enter as search criteria...).

Hello All, I only glanced at the other thread and saw the 2 seed paks, but this is what your OP was about this.

rice555

post-37242-0-95766100-1452264417_thumb.p

• 4 weeks later...

So is this ^^ the real sweet basil like in Europe?

โหระพา (pronounced "Wholapha") as stated on the packet in the photo is Thai sweet basil and not the sweet aka Italian basil commonly found in Europe.

This is a photo I downloaded from the internet for comparison. Looking closely at the leaves, we can see that they are different than those on the packet attached by rice555 (thank you rice555)

post-45719-0-19480300-1454743327_thumb.j

Unfortunately I've used up my last packet of sweet/Italian basil (O. basilicum) and so far only two seeds have germinated :o( I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... I've tried sowing the seeds at different times of the year, in different soil/mixes of soil, in direct sunlight, in the shade, etc., etc., etc. No luck... I absolutely LOVE sweet/Italian basil... it goes so well with pasta.

I'll pick up a few more packets when I'm down in BKK at the end of the month... I can't find them here in Korat.

Archived