BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenny202

Never understand people here?

There is only one thing you can do,,,Don't help anyone and keep to yourself,,,That way you will not get screwed over and you can live happy in Thailand ,,,Proven fact,works for me and a good friend of mine,,, thumbsup.gif

to OP;

IMO from experience living in the country i have a theory about why she she tried to sell you some mushrooms for 50 bat. it has to do with baseline absence of critical thinking and poor attention-memory span. perhaps she simply is incapable of connecting the dots plus does not remember well. the intellectual development can be very poor although there are many people that would be grateful. theres also selfish entitled people. thai society also has a component of "I dont care" at all levels. my condo is largely affluent thais. most are very nice but a few are not. some smoke in the elevator and do other rude things.

on the other hand after repairing a friends computer he will not let me pay for at his restaurant.

spend some time with the child and try to show you care.

It's not just some people in Thailand.I believe it's that way all over the world.I really believe it's how the individual person was

Raised.There are so many 1 way people in the world it's unbelievable.I've got to the point I never think A person will do me A

Favor just because I do them one.But the way I was raised I won't stop helping people.

It's just the culture, nothing else. If I buy or give something to Mrs Possum, she will say "thank you darling".

If I buy or give something to her to give to someone else, the someone else will not come to me and say "thank you".

I don't let it bother me, and just accept it.

There is only one thing you can do,,,Don't help anyone and keep to yourself,,,That way you will not get screwed over and you can live happy in Thailand ,,,Proven fact,works for me and a good friend of mine,,, thumbsup.gif

I will still help where I can particularly kids. I get enough return from that. I wasn't asking or expecting anything back only thought it strange she come wanting money for something. I mean she gathered the mushrooms in the forest. Didn't cost her anything. Anyway I do agree with you re keep to yourself as much as possible. I'll always say hello and be friendly but better leave an air of mystique. I believe people generally respect us here albeit simply because we come from a strange land and have money. But familiarity definitely breeds contempt in Isaan

to OP;

IMO from experience living in the country i have a theory about why she she tried to sell you some mushrooms for 50 bat. it has to do with baseline absence of critical thinking and poor attention-memory span. perhaps she simply is incapable of connecting the dots plus does not remember well. the intellectual development can be very poor although there are many people that would be grateful. theres also selfish entitled people. thai society also has a component of "I dont care" at all levels. my condo is largely affluent thais. most are very nice but a few are not. some smoke in the elevator and do other rude things.

on the other hand after repairing a friends computer he will not let me pay for at his restaurant.

spend some time with the child and try to show you care.

I agree with you on all points. I gave a similar theory. All boils down to lack of education and world experience. Which of course is not their fault

Yeah Mrs bought the mushrooms. Look I don't feel suckered. I did help her because I wanted to. I just don't understand their thinking?

If you were married to a Western girl back in your home country, then come to Thailand and

marry a Thai girl, you will soon find out that a Thai girl does not think the same as a western girl.

It is some something that has both it's advantages and disadvantages.

Again, hate to tell you this but Thais are not on this earth for Farangs to understand.

They do have their own agendas

The very word for selfish in Thai (hen gaae dtuua) literally 'see, taken care of yourself' sums it up. A simple please or thank you sometimes seems not to be part of their vocabulary. Maybe it's because that when dealing with a farang they are shy and tongue tied. Many Thais on the other hand are courteous and generous. I've tried to educate my Thai kids that 'manners maketh man' but I suspect many parents don't bother.

As I have said before (and I don't need anyone to remind me), what is manners to us is not always manners to them.

Who are we to tell the Thai's what is good manners and what is not, we are in their country, just accept it.

The biggest majority of Thai people will do what they can to help you, manners or not.

Gave my gf's daughter 40.000 Baht for university inscription fee, shortly after she got pregnant, stopped her studies.

Bought her a decent mattress for 8.000 Baht so she doesn't have to sleep on the floor. No "Thank you" in either case. Now the baby is born and my gf is telling me what to buy for the baby. I am fed up supporting people without manners, style or pride.

C'mon, Thai culture... what culture ?

That's called being taken for a ride.

or smooching of others ...

Some people just dont have any manners - I dont give a hoot if someone calls it "culture" ...

Gave my gf's daughter 40.000 Baht for university inscription fee, shortly after she got pregnant, stopped her studies.

Bought her a decent mattress for 8.000 Baht so she doesn't have to sleep on the floor. No "Thank you" in either case. Now the baby is born and my gf is telling me what to buy for the baby. I am fed up supporting people without manners, style or pride.

C'mon, Thai culture... what culture ?

I understand what you are saying, but I bet the girlfriends daughter and the girlfriend will be very grateful to you, and there may come a time

when you may need them to help you, and I bet they would.

Thai people do have manners, style, and pride, but in their own way, not yours.

Long time ago I went to visit my GF's family . I invited the whole family to dinner and at the end the half village was "invited" not a big deal money-wise but when I asked for the bill, I noticed many of the "guests" started ordering take-away! This blew my fuse, I paid but left the same evening.

Yes, that is taking the manners bit just too far, in fact, it is taking the PI$$. I would have asked for and just paid the first bill, and left them to pay for the takeaway.

Live up country Isaan in a village. Take one of the local ladies and her kid 20km to the hospital last week. Paid for medicine even paid for lunch. Happy to help

It's time for a reward for the OP, methinks.

post-158336-0-25232600-1439360319_thumb.

Long time ago I went to visit my GF's family . I invited the whole family to dinner and at the end the half village was "invited" not a big deal money-wise but when I asked for the bill, I noticed many of the "guests" started ordering take-away! This blew my fuse, I paid but left the same evening.

Yes, that is taking the manners bit just too far, in fact, it is taking the PI$$. I would have asked for and just paid the first bill, and left them to pay for the takeaway.

The "Takeaways" were properly only the rests in a plastic bag.....coffee1.gif

Sounds pretty ungrateful to me. Our neighbours are always giving us food. not selling

My GF's parents just left and in all of the years I have never heard her father say 'thank you' for anything.

I have given him a super-bright LED head torch for use on his farm, the odd bottle of Jack Daniels from duty free and all manner of free food while they were here.

Plus, if at any time he feels hungry or thirsty, he thinks it's fine to go through the fridge and have whatever he wants. The nice bit of cake I got for supper, the last bottle of cold beer - anything.

And he will happily sit watching satellite TV all day while I am busy clearing out drains or cutting grass.

Oh - and the motorbike puts on a lot of km while he is here. He has never asked if it is OK to use it.

Is this normal behaviour ?. He is 100% red-shirt and doesn't help my opinion of them one little bit.

Her mum is fine though. Polite and always in the garden helping out.

Is this normal behaviour ? Some of it is, I do remember one time my wife asked me if her brother could borrow my motorbike as we were both going away in the truck for the day.

I agreed no problem, he lives nearby, and no advantage of me was taken as his motorbike was getting repaired. That was the only time in ten years I was ever asked.