Vietnam plans to extend visa validity for US tourists from 3 months to 1 year

Vietnam plans to extend visa validity for US tourists from 3 months to 1 year

VIETNAM: -- Thanh Nien News says the government of Vietnam is working on a plan to extend the validity of tourist visa for US citizens from three months to one year in a bid to attract more arrivals, citing a report by Vietnam News Agency.

The report, however, did not indicate any timeframe. It quoted tourism minister Hoang Tuan Anh as saying at a meeting with the US State Department on Monday that Vietnam aims to bring the annual number of US arrivals to one million by 2017.

Last year US arrivals hit 443,776, up nearly 3 percent from 2013.

Currently, a general tourist visa to Vietnam for US citizens is valid for 30 or 90 days, with single or multiple entries.

Between January and July this year, Vietnam attracted 301,907 US tourists.

Tuan also said the United States has become the largest foreign investor in Vietnam’s tourism sector over the last few years.

Vietnam is easing its visa policy this year as it tries to boost the tourism sector after consecutive declines in arrivals. It has recently offered visa waivers to five European countries and has also announced plans to let overseas Vietnamese enter freely without a visa.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/vietnam-plans-to-extend-visa-validity-for-us-tourists-from-3-months-to-1-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-12

• Like 1

They have a VOA now per se but it's a joke. You have to apply on line, get your letters (needed to board the plane from BKK) then when you get to VN you get to stand in line for up to an hour waiting for them to rake in $45 USD (in USD only) to place the stamp in your passport so you can proceed to immigration. If you pay for the expedited service is still about 20 minutes but you get to relax while someone runs it all for you. Application fee, Stamping fee and Expedited service is $75-$90 USD depending on the site you choose.

• Like 1

Vietnam has every reason to distrust Americans, but creating a visa on arrival would be more beneficial. The length of visa is not so much the issue, as having to deal with the corrupt Vietnamese visa system.

I have been going to Vietnam for 3 years now. They have a Visa on Arrival that works pretty well. I have seen nothing corrupt about it. Are you talking about a different country, or do you assume if a VOA costs more than you want to pay, it must be corruption? Just trying to understand your comments.

• Like 2

And when you don't have to worry about being busted for being with a lady, I might think about it, think, didn't say I would go. The Vietnamese ladies are nice indeed. Some around here, keep it quiet now. Last time I was there I didn't need a visa, expense paid vacation in sunny SE Asia courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Funny thing, they didn't seem to like us much, can't imagine why. For those that can't recognize, that is sarcasm. I've spoken to several Vietnamese ladies over the past few years here, on the airplanes coming and in Cambodia, some that were born right after. Several have had me in tears. The hardships we caused were terrible. They can and do forgive individuals, they will never forgive the US in whole and I don't blame them. USMC Sgt-Vietnam 1966/67, Vietnam Veterans Against the War forever.

• Like 1

Vietnam has every reason to distrust Americans, but creating a visa on arrival would be more beneficial. The length of visa is not so much the issue, as having to deal with the corrupt Vietnamese visa system.

During my two trips to Vietnam I experienced that the Vietnamese were very receptive to me when they learned I was an American.

My experience as well.

A cheaper visa would entice me to travel there. As it stands now, it's quite expensive, and a hassle, especially for a short trip. Just not worth it.

It's not particularly expensive (Lao visa is $35 after all), not a hassle and when you get there you will realise it is absolutely worth it, even if only to marvel at how clean a South East Asian city can be (HCMC).

• Like 1

Vietnam is easing its visa policy this year as it tries to boost the tourism.

This is great news...it will put pressure on other SE Asian countries to loosen up on the visa restrictions...

Vietnam is an up and coming tourist destination in my opinion...

• Like 1

Yes Vietnam is going ahead and making some effort to encourage tourists. Visited HCMC recently, and even though it is a bit of a pain and a tad antiquated system to obtain a visa, it was certainly worth it. The visa system is a little hard to wrap your head around first time with regards to having to obtain an approval letter before entering the country, and then having to line up at the small crappy desk for your actual visa. As stated, they only take crisp non damaged US dollars. Then they give you change in the dirtiest VD you've ever seen.

I actually quite enjoyed what I saw, and did the usual tours of HCMC and listened to all their propaganda. They give the impression they still don't like the US, but the people from the South may have a different opinion to those up in Hanoi. Couldn't quite get a handle on what the south think of the north, but I got the distinct impression that there are still some issues between them. I would like to see more of the country, and if obtaining a visa becomes easier, I look forward to further travels there. Cheers.

In 2014 the number of tourists visiting Vietnam fell by 12%. This is why they have recently granted a free 15 day entry stamp for visitors from the UK and several European countries. The longer tourist visa for US citizens might be introduced fairly soon to coincide with Obama's planned visit.

Viet is definately learning from Thai what went wrong with recent Thai visa changes.

It is exactly what Thai is trying now to return back from previous mistake.

Anyway , Viet is planning much more to ease deals with Realestate to allow more of buying power for foreign investment.

This coming December will be more interesting.

Edited by gigman

Every reason not to trust?

Ancient history by now....

and by the way...we lost. Sometimes we just don't nuke.

thats why they can trust us. Look at Japan..they love us...and they got nuked.

Edited by slipperylobster

What a patently moronic statement. Just what Americans should Vietnam (as if they were monolithic) distrust? The ones who marched and put their lives at risk to end the war? Or are you talking about the members of the US government at the time, who are mostly now dead?

No idea where you're from, but please write when education reaches your shores...

• Like 1

A cheaper visa would entice me to travel there. As it stands now, it's quite expensive, and a hassle, especially for a short trip. Just not worth it.

Too expensive, really? It's $10 more than a thai visa. And certainly no more hassle than obtaining a thai visa either.

True! Unfortunately, a Thai visa is a necessity for me. I live here! Just back from a trip to Europe. It was great being able to travel around with NO visa issues. Even those outside the EU. Well, except Belarus. What a pain to get a visa. 5555

I think if they got their act together and had one visa for this region, tourism would definitely grow.

thats exactly what should have thailand done for all nationalities decades ago.

coffee1.gif

While I agree.... it would be hard for them to give up the 500+baht penalty per day for overstay and possible other moneyed entanglements. There are big bucks on visa and other tourist entry requirements. Employment and make work for government employees..

It would be better to arrive at a destination and get a passport stamped, maybe a photo, and be on your way.

Competition and demand for moneyed tourist may have several countries in S.E. Asia making changes to their visa requirements.

• Like 2

Absolutely 100% agree. This is one of the reasons I have not gone to Vietnam and first started going to Thailand. Visa on arrival when my job makes planning difficult is the bee's knees.

Vietnam is easing its visa policy this year as it tries to boost the tourism.

This is great news...it will put pressure on other SE Asian countries to loosen up on the visa restrictions...

Vietnam is an up and coming tourist destination in my opinion...

Then why this?

Vietnam is easing its visa policy this year as it tries to boost the tourism sector after consecutive declines in arrivals.

I see this 'tourists not returning' to VN everywhere. A friend visited on a whirlwind trip of SE Asia, but hadn't much to say about Vietnam, only that there were many Chinese there too, so seriously, why don't people return? I haven't been there so don't know,the one time I'd tried it was shut (Tet) laugh.png And my friend and I ended up visiting beautiful Burma instead.

It seems to me that whatever is putting repeat tourists should be fixed before bothering issuing longer visas.