Are there any old age / assisted living homes for expats in Phuket?

Iolare

I have a friend who will probably have to leave his home for a care center very soon. He fell and was taken to the hospital this morning, and as this has become a recurring problem, his maid doesn't want to continue in the job. She is frightened about the additional responsibility and burden of caring for him in addition to his house. I know he doesn't want to move back to Europe as he has no one there, but if there is no Phuket facility he can move to he might have no choice in the matter. He would prefer to remain in his home but hasn't been able to find a live-in care provider. Any leads or ideas would be appreciated.

The Andaman Clinic in Chalong will be able to provide you with home nursing assistance. They are on the Chao Fa East Road about 200 meters past the Chalong Police Station on the right hand side next to the THMB Bank beside 'Beautyland' and the large pet store cat hospital.towards town. Hope this helps.

I would first see if the current maid could not find someone - she keeps her maid job and no longer has to care for him so a win situation for everyone. Can not answer on care facility but there are few in the country at all - as family normally takes care of elderly members so it is a new field, and probably not the best option. If professional care required and can be paid for would ask among public hospital nurses.

Assisted care has been tried many times here in Thailand. I was involved in a retirement village, assisted living com unity about 30 yerars ago in NE Thailand. Planned and researched, stopped when we could not get "qualified" "health workers" here in Thailand (those who wanted to take care of disabled and elderly people).

Thai nurses don't want the jobs, immigration rules are a big hindrance for the assisted living people, most of which come from the Philippians

We trained and qualified they are in demand all over the world, but not here where no one wants the job, but we don't want some one else doing it.

Yes great potential but blocked at every juncture. Would be perfect in Cambodia or Vietnam also, not near as many hoops to jump through.

I would first see if the current maid could not find someone - she keeps her maid job and no longer has to care for him so a win situation for everyone. Can not answer on care facility but there are few in the country at all - as family normally takes care of elderly members so it is a new field, and probably not the best option. If professional care required and can be paid for would ask among public hospital nurses.

Great recommendation. I've got my mother here, severe dementia/Alzheimer's. The maid one day told us she could no longer care for my mother and take care of the house. She's relatively young, but it was just too much for her. So, we hired a caregiver. We've been through about 3 so far, but the latest one is fantastic. Just spent 3 years caring for an elderly Chinese lady in Bangkok. Plus, she's my wife's aunt from the village.

I spent a fair amount of time looking at care facilities around here (Pattaya). There are only a few and the prices vary widely. The best one was OK, and about 45,000B/month for a very small private room, with 24x7 care. For far less than that, we've got 24x7 care for her here now. Something to think about. Oh...another place we saw wanted some 100kB/month. And I've seen some asking for even more!

Set the rate properly. You won't get really good help for 10kB/month. Also, we've found a nurse training school nearby that provides us additional help if required. 700B/day. I think they want 18k/month for full time, but lately, none have been available. All are going to work in hospitals/private clinics. Seems there's quite the demand.

Assisted care has been tried many times here in Thailand. I was involved in a retirement village, assisted living com unity about 30 yerars ago in NE Thailand. Planned and researched, stopped when we could not get "qualified" "health workers" here in Thailand (those who wanted to take care of disabled and elderly people).

Thai nurses don't want the jobs, immigration rules are a big hindrance for the assisted living people, most of which come from the Philippians

We trained and qualified they are in demand all over the world, but not here where no one wants the job, but we don't want some one else doing it.

Yes great potential but blocked at every juncture. Would be perfect in Cambodia or Vietnam also, not near as many hoops to jump through.

What salary were you offering and what were there tasks?

The Andaman Clinic in Chalong will be able to provide you with home nursing assistance. They are on the Chao Fa East Road about 200 meters past the Chalong Police Station on the right hand side next to the THMB Bank beside 'Beautyland' and the large pet store cat hospital.towards town. Hope this helps.

I can't speak for Phuket, but I do know that there is a care home for elderly, mostly expatriate in Chiang Mai. I have never seen it, but heard form friends that it is very comfortable, the people are well looked after, but it is not cheap. If your friend is prepare to move to Chiang Mai and can afford it, it may be the right solution. Other than that, a proper nurse on a 12 hours basis would be OK.

I can't speak for Phuket, but I do know that there is a care home for elderly, mostly expatriate in Chiang Mai. I have never seen it, but heard form friends that it is very comfortable, the people are well looked after, but it is not cheap. If your friend is prepare to move to Chiang Mai and can afford it, it may be the right solution. Other than that, a proper nurse on a 12 hours basis would be OK.

The OP states his friend would prefer assisted nursing at home, not being shunted up to an old people's home in Chiang Mai.

Thanks to daguerreotype for the Andaman Clinic lead; that sounds promising and I’ll plan on stopping in there when the gentleman is released from the hospital. Also thanks to lopburi3 for his thoughts about finding a hospital employee for some side work. The maid is already looking for a care-giver for either full or part time, but so far no luck.

It does begin to seem like a business opportunity as Patong2 noted, but what ksamuiguy said about the difficulties sounded right on for Thailand.

I don't think the gentleman would be willing to leave his home and move to the north as he has owned the place for a long time, but thanks to abrahamzvi for that lead.

There are homes (hospitals) for the elderly in Thailand...but I don't know if they are restricted to Thai nationals. I once had a G/F here who's Mother badly needed looking after, she had lived for years in the local "Wat" Temple but when she couldn't walk anymore they couldn't then continue to look after her. (Her other daughter had her living in her home and would not let her be taken care of by anyone else because it would look as if she, the daughter, couldn't do the job properly and thus would "lose face" in front of the neighbours. She had to eventually agree when one day she was out in her garden and heard a loud scream from her Mother inside the house, who could only sleep on the floor. A snake had crept in and was crawling over her). My G/F didn't know what to do as she had never heard of "Homes for the elderly" in Thailand.

I went to a "Nun" friend of mine and within a few days she was placed in a home that was only a few Kilometers from where my G/F actually lived.

My advice would be (if you don't get any better on here) to go to your local Church or Convent (they won't mind what religion you are or if have any at all) and explain the position and ask the same as you asked here. They are usually in the know about these type of things.

Good luck to your friend anyway and he has a great start with having a friend like yourself that cares.

Some time back I'd met another farang with ideas about making money out of taking care of elderly expats here. This was of course also shot down by the Thai authorities. There are Thai nurses willing to work in people's homes. These are referred by other Thais as stated in my post. Some of you should really get out of your little expat enclaves more.

I am 70 have a good younger wife, have a lovely house KhonKaen 25kms

I am in medium health, and my plan is to stay here until the end be it one month!! or 20 yrs

There could come a time when my wife would need help, if i deteriorate slowly,and I would look or get my wife to look round the local hospitals for one or two young nurses(Still dreaming)

The idea of returning to a nursing home in the UK is not an option

If the gentleman concerned does not have enough money but owns his house maybe some deal needs to be done so when he no longer needs the house i.e. has passed on this can be used as a bonus to those caring for him, preferably under the control of a friend to see no foul play

Falling unfortunately is the end for many it killed my mother when she was in hospital aged 92, she fell one night going to the bathroom, also killed my best friend around the same time, like me he was overweight 82 yrs old and fell going to his bathroom at home, and was hospitalised for six months but never recovered

If your friend needs money can he sell his house quickly at a substantial discount but continue to use it while he stays alive, I know people who might buy it, on those terms

If he has a nice income, and owns his own home...then hire somebody here.

Otherwise, he may consider going to the Philippines...much cheaper for home care. He could rent a very nice condo unit in Makati (close to many hospitals), and get both a maid..and a full time caregiver. It is not all that bad, as he probably will remain in or close to his condo. Pool, gym, etc. Other places in Palawan or Dumuguete..or Cebu...would be nice too.

Does he speak fluent Thai?... If not..a good filipina caregiver is what he needs.

Medical is more affordable there.

If he has a nice income, and owns his own home...then hire somebody here.

Otherwise, he may consider going to the Philippines...much cheaper for home care. He could rent a very nice condo unit in Makati (close to many hospitals), and get both a maid..and a full time caregiver. It is not all that bad, as he probably will remain in or close to his condo. Pool, gym, etc. Other places in Palawan or Dumuguete..or Cebu...would be nice too.

Does he speak fluent Thai?... If not..a good filipina caregiver is what he needs.

Medical is more affordable there.

if he can't take care off himself what is he going to do with a pool and gym?

My wife recently sold a home to a Thai women who was what we would call a practical nurse (not in Phuket). She takes care of an older expat who can do very little for himself. She receives a salary of 30,000 Bhat for what is almost a 24/7 care. He also pays some money for rent and food.

If you look on the more established dating sites, you will find some nursing staff looking for this type of job.

There are farang/Thai business ventures putting together assisted living facilities north of Chiang Mai, but I do not know the status of the project. I would also check with the British Embassy and find the person who is involved with health issues of older expats.

Hope his helps.

Perhaps the most important factor has not been addressed. How long can he function mentally? What is available after this ability is lost? Can the OP perhaps help to maintain financials? I would be very suspect of any "home" having such control here. Probably better to have a financial relationship with his personal care provider - but I would hope that there could always be a friend to oversee.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived