Bulats English test

Does anybody have a link to an official UK website that confirms that any Bulats English test taken before 30th June 2014 will still be valid and acceptable for two years?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736116-bulats-english-tests-for-uk-settlement-visas/

A friends wife applied for a settlement visa two months ago, in June. It was refused because 1) he's self employed but failed to supply tax receipts for tax he'd paid for the last financial year, 2) he didn't show proof from his local council that he didn't need planning permission to work self employed from home and 3) he failed to supply proof that his accountant was correctly qualified to do the job.

His wife's 'Bulats' certificates were however accepted as meeting the English qualification. She took the Bulats test on the 14th May 2014, about six weeks before the deadline.

Because he couldn't get the required information from his local council in time to appeal, his wife submitted a new application, that included all the required extra documentation, today. However VFS Global refused to accept the application because they said the Bulats certificates were not valid. I tried to point out the dates, that made the test acceptable, for her but they wouldn't budge

They've told her she must apply to have her visa fee and IHS fee refunded, take another English test, then make another new application. They also told her it will take up to forty five days to get her money back.

Edited by sumrit

Unfortunately acceptance of Bulats (and TOEIC) tests taken in Thailand have become a minefield. Both have now been struck off the approved list - TOEIC for fraud whereas Bulats was voluntary.

My understanding is that certainly Bulats (and possibly TOEIC) are only now acceptable for FLR IF they were used for the original successful settlement visa application. It does not matter that these certificates are only valid for 2 years.

Any settlement visa applications from now on have to be taken with the new tests being offerred e.g. IELTS.

BULATS were removed form the list of approved providers some time ago. Their tests which were used for a successful initial visa application prior to their removal from the approved list are still being accepted for subsequent in UK applications; i.e. Further Leave to Remain and, if B1 or better, Indefinite Leave to Remain.

However, they are no longer acceptable for new applications for the initial settlement application. This is the transitional list of old providers. These tests can be used in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 if they were taken on or before 5th April 2015. BULATS are not on that list.

Your friend's wife will need to take a new test from an approved provider on the current list. In Thailand this means IELTS; see page 17 for the test centres in Thailand; all in Bangkok, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the replies. My mate's aware of the current acceptable list and his wife has been told she will have to take a new test.

I am well aware that Bulats has been removed from the approved list. But, when it was removed, the rules were that if the test was taken before the 30th June 2014 the certificates would remain valid for two years. As she took the test in May 2014 they should still be valid. While my mate was putting his wife's application together earlier this year we discussed this and, on 20th April this year, found conformation on an official website, but neither of us saved the web page. The only reference I could find yesterday was the Thai Visa thread I posted in my OP.

Furthermore when they put her original application in just SEVEN SHORT WEEKS AGO the Bulats certificate WAS accepted at the VFS Global centre. And when her application was processed it was refused for the points I made in my OP. But there was no mention of being refused because of the Bulats certificates supplied, so they can only assume they were acceptable less than two months ago.

All I was asking was has anybody got a link to an official UK web page that describes the original ruling about the changes in June 2014?

I am well aware that Bulats has been removed from the approved list. But, when it was removed, the rules were that if the test was taken before the 30th June 2014 the certificates would remain valid for two years.

As far as I'm aware, that's not the rules. As was said above, as far as BULATS goes, the distinction is whether someone's BULATS test has already been accepted for an earlier settlement application. If someone is already settled in the UK with a BULATS A1 test pass, then that test result can still be used for FLR purposes.

If someone is applying for an initial settlement visa having already passed an English test to A1 standard using a test which is no longer acceptable, then that test has to be on the transitional list that 7by7 linked to. BULATS is not one of these, so it can no longer be used for initial settlement visa applications.

I wouldn't place any reliance on what VFS say, as all they do is collect your paperwork. Although they may make checks and dish out advice, they are not qualified in this respect, but I think they've done your friend a favour by not accepting the most recent application if he can get a refund. I *think* your friend's wife's BULATS test did not meet the requirements first time round, so it is strange that this was deemed acceptable. Maybe UKVI were lazy seeing as the application was failing on other grounds anyway, which isn't helpful in the slightest.

N.B. The above is just my interpretation, this is still a very grey area.

• Like 2