Army out in force in Samui last night to ensure no alcohol being sold within 300 meters

Lite Beer

Army out in force in Samui last night to ensure no alcohol being sold within 300 meters of the university

army-out-in-force-in-Samui-300x225.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Last night, 13th August, the Army were out in force in Koh Samui upholding the new law that states shops and convenience stores within a 300 meter radius of any university do not sell alcohol.

The new rule is an amendment of Sections 4 and 27 of the 2008 Alcohol Control Act. Alcohol sales within 300 meters of higher-education institutions governed by the education law are now officially outlawed. However, an announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-08-14

I must admit, I am more and more confused.

Didn't the government announce just a few days after introducing this law, that it was put on hold for six months? Also didn't it say that there was no "official distance"?

I thought that the only part that was still valid was underage drinking and serving alcohol after hours.

Did not know there was a university on Koh Samui

International School of Tourism, a department of Surat Thani University.
The convenient store close to the University, almost next to it (think it’s a 7-eleven), doesn’t sell alcohol beverage and cigarettes/tobacco. Not sure if the other two convenient stores (Family Mart, if my memory serves me right) are less than 300 meters away, but they use(d) to sell.
Curiosity made me check Google Map. The one seems to be about 150-200 meters from the university entrance, but if counted from the border of land occupied by the university, the distance is less than 100 meters. The other is just about 300 meters from the entrance, but again shorter, if counted from land border.
However, not much activity in the university Friday night – could the authorities perhaps make a clause not to sell it during daytime, it seems to work well with the other time limitations for alcohol sale in convenient stores...?
Okay, there may be students living there – and I think not young school kids, it’s a university – but I’m quite sure that they can find a way to buy alcoholic drinks for room parties, if they want; many so-called “mom & dad” stores seem to sells alcoholic beverage all time...whistling.gif

Amazing the government rolled out a larger army force on the alcohol ban near a univeristy than on its hunt for Malay-Thai muslim insurgents in the South. With the latter the army relies more on private contractors referred to as "paramilitary" and "security agents."

Now we know where the army sees the greatest danger to Thailand's security - its educated young people!

Mmmm . . . and in the meantime, Royal City Avenue in BKK remains open and thriving, with thousands of students getting out of their skulls every night unhindered and a great many of them underage.

And while the army was out in force on Samui and setting up sieges around 7-11s, nearby there were innumerable intoxicated drivers, motorbike riders with no helmets, and hundreds of vehicles with no tax or correct registration.

R

absolute bullshit this law. it was designed to stop students getting drunk but they only have to walk a few metres more. All those legit businesses within this ring setup before the law came into operation will go out of business and sack workers. Who is this Junta working for? certainly not the business and people....

They are in it for themselves and gave themselves handsome payrises

• 2 weeks later...

Archived