How can I get lower denomination US$ bills in Phnom Penh

SantiSuk

It's good to be able to get US$ through widely available ATMs in the tourist areas of SR/PP/Snooky, but Camby ATMs often spit out $100 bills. I find that then restricts where I can eat, to restaurants that look likely to accept them, or being hopeful that my hotel will change them, which works if I am using posher hotels with the family, but not always if I am budgeting-it alone.

So where can I withdraw smaller denomination notes - $20 will do - or do a down-sizing swap. Phnom Penh is my next visit, but info for the other two would be useful.

Thanks Lex - think I remember having used it before now you mention the booth - up a flight of steps as I remember. I might road test your advice Tom3 and post back here for info.

I too always adjust the ATM amount so as to get maximum change. Usually make it X10 so that at least 90 has to be in small bills (at worst 1 50, 4 20's...but usually get 4 20's and a 10).

Besides money changers, I often buy a prepaid phone card when I need to break a large bill. The sellers are everywhere and usually able to break $100 (though in that case better buy say a $20 card). Even if I don't need the card at the moment, I'll need it eventually.

And then just make it a habit when paying for something where change is easy (like hotel, restaurant bill or big purchase) to break $100 even if I have the exact, at least until I've accumulated a good supply of smaller bills.

Archived