Trying to help a friend relocate to Thailand as a teacher

ryanhull

Hey All,

I appreciate this post maybe a bit bold and open ended but stick with me....

My best friend back in the UK has been through alot in the last few years, recently he broke up with his mrs and got made redundant from his job as a plasterer/builder

To cut a very long story short he is grafting away at a job currently in a factory working very hard which he has been doing for the last 9 months, after tax he makes around 800 pounds a month which 80% goes on out-goings. He is a clever guy and still has age on his side being 31 yet he is in this cycle of work to live which alot are, but more so in a northern UK city which really is as grim as anything.

I personally try to help him out where possible as I do with all my mates but really I think he would love it here in Thailand, I just know its his style.

I have been asking him about why doesnt he come over here and teach english, he is native english and is very clever despite the job options he has. I know I am going to get alot of flack from some TV`ers on here, and I am not going into much detail but I wanted to ask from start to finish what would be the steps/costs for my mate to get a teaching job over here?

What costs is he likely to have to pay for a certificate enabling him to teach? where is the best place to look for teaching jobs? I assume Bangkok pays the highest for teaching jobs?

It is new to me, but I do know mates here who are pulling in 50k bhat a month teaching, and some of them are teaching young kids and say it is really fun and easy... I know my mate very very well and I truely think he would love it over here and it possibly could give him some of the fire in his eyes he has lost working a mundane job in a grim UK cold city. I care alot for my friends and always have done... I want to see this particular friend happy as he is like a brother to me, so this said I thought where better to ask for the basics than here?

If anyone would be so kind to answer my above questions and point me in the right direction for him to at-least consider a plan that would be massively appreciated, please do not grill me too much as this is just trying to help a mate out who is in a bit of a rutt albeit a very good lad. I have read about Tefel courses, I have also read you do not really need them? I think if someone could give me a step by step approach for me to print off and give to him that would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does not... but he does have very good GCSE grades, I believe a B in english... I am not fully sure on his A level....

Can I ask another quick question, are the online Tesol course a scam? do you actually get the cert out ofit?

Thanks

I think he would struggle to find work based on what you have said. If someone is going for the same work and they have a TEFL certificate at any level, as opposed to not having one, who would you employ?

That said, if he went to HCMC, he would find a teaching job very easily and the work is not exactly mind bending. Can earn between £1500-£2000 pm depending on when he chose to work and add that to house sharing a 3 bed property at £80-£100pm, it works out at a very good living

No degree = no work permit. At least not officially. Which will probably rule him out of getting a decent teaching job.

Thank you... when you say decent what do you mean by that? barring in mind he is only pulling in 800 pounds a month in the UK atm, surely he could make that or close to that here? and with a little help from me with accomodation etc it might be worth a shot? considering not much is going on back home?

Cant help you with any info. but I like to say that you are a good friend for trying to help your mate. clap2.gif

I hope it works out well for him.

Thanks mate, he has helped me in my dark moments so I always try to repay

I think he would struggle to find work based on what you have said. If someone is going for the same work and they have a TEFL certificate at any level, as opposed to not having one, who would you employ?

Are you saying he could not get a TEFL? does it come down to money to affectively buy the course? if so how much are we talking? and are the online course fake?

Thanks all

I never really looked deep enough into it but as I understand it, there are maybe 4 or 5 stages of the TEFL course, if you take them all (and pass them as you go obviously) it costs around £1000 in total but please do not quote me on that, I am just going from memory as I was thinking about it a couple of years ago until someone told me that teaching in Thailand with very little or no qualifications would only result in a job in the sticks where you are very alone.

My initial point was that if he spent say £100 and passed the 1st part of the TEFL, he would receive a certificate online which he could print off and laminate and show any prospective employers or even agents as opposed to just turning up and saying " I want to teach English"

As I said, in VietNam, teaching is very easy to get into with or without a certificate and the money is good but if he wants to be in Thailand only, then I wont comment on VN anymore wink.png

Im far from being an expert on this subject, I am just offering knowledge of what I am aware of. Maybe someone who has actually physically tried to go down this route would be in a better position to advise but as far as I know, teaching English in Thailand is much more difficult than it used to be, and picking and choosing location is a thing of the past unless like a previous poster said, you have a degree.

My son is 19 and studying to be an English teacher and has just finished 3 years at college and has another 4 years to do at Uni. If he passes he should be able to pick and choose where he works in Thailand but without any qualification at all, I would not old my breath

Can't disagree with you about helping a mate...awesome.

However would you like a 30 year old trade with a b in English teaching your kids.

Be real, help him by promoting his skills, not by touting him as a non skilled, non professional teacher that happens to speak English. ..like the other million or so English speakers that will travel to Thailand this year.

He is smart and has skills..good, get him to teach locals how to plaster or render like a pro, if that's his skill.

He's a builder and plasterer mate. Can't do that work here it's reserved for Thais.

What on earth makes you think he can teach? Would he get a job teaching English in the UK?

The days when any old backpacker could earn a few bob teaching illegally on the side are gone - thankfully.

With a TEFL he might get a job at a private language school offering. They aren't regulated like schools. But be honest, is he able to explain aspects of English grammar? I know one guy who teaches illegally on a retirement extension of stay in Korat at a place like this. No previous teaching experience, not even a real native English speaker. Even appears on their website and also brags on social media about working illegally. I hear he's off to Laos as it suddenly dawned on him immigration might catch up with him.

If he's serious about a career change then he should pursue appropriate training and qualifications in the UK.

The days of Joe Bloggs the bricklayer from Brisbane or Birmingham coming to Thailand and working as an English teacher because he's a native speaker are over. In recent years there has been incredible tightening up of rules and regulations. It's difficult to get into teaching in Thailand these days, very difficult to get the required licence/permit, and the penalties for doing any kind of teaching without the licence/permit are severe.

It's no longer like it was in the 70s/80s/90s....those days are gone for good.

A very big step to come over here with no savings to fall back on yes it may suck where he is now but at least he has free health care and social security to fall back on here he will have the shirt on his back if things don't work out. If he has no degree his job opportunities are very limited, he will likely find some work in a private school in the provinces but money will be low and they make you work for every baht. Also teaching is not for everyone you can push it out if you are just on a gap year from university but different story if you need to put food on the table, he will likely make about 650 quid a month which is okay compared to Most Thai wages. But this is not a jet set lifestyle its basic living from pay check to paycheck. E.g. he will need health insurance which will sting him about 1500 baht per month rent about 5000, motorbike on finance 2000 baht per month, electricity 1000-2000 depending on Air con, water 300 baht, beer if enjoys 2 after work each day and few more at weekend's at home 5000 per month, internet 500 per month food is quite cheap, toiletries are super expensive then you have visa runs, 90 day reporting work permits etc etc so a nice quiet life is possible but if he likes the bar scene forget it

Ryan, I know you're helping a buddy out, which is great, but the days of native speakers just showing up and getting decent teaching jobs are about over. Yes, it still happens, but they have the education and the CONTACTS. It would help if he was a teacher back home, as ppl make the mistake by thinking if they're a native speaker then they can teach, unfortunately it does not work that way.

You say you know guys pulling in 50k, ask them to help him out on what he needs and maybe they can put a good word in for him.

Good luck.

The Stickman site has a lot of info on teaching in Thailand. The good the bad and the ugly.....Sounds like your friend needs a boost and is already near the bottom so who knows a change could do him well....as long as he doesnt let the worst of Thailand get the better of him.

I know of both guys and girls coming here recently and finding halfway decent jobs. making 30 to 40.....and being able to pick up a few private students as well......

Its not impossible just takes time to sauce out.

Interesting reading comments by Walter Travolta posted here. Sounds like HCMC (and probably other locations in Vietnam) would be more suitable for OP's friend. IMHO the best days for expats living & working in LOS are behind us now. So I'd suggest to OP's friend to forget about Thailand and give Vietnam a try.

I'd also suggest he takes a course of study while he's getting ready to relocate. If he checks around where he's currently living I'm sure there will be some short-term courses of study available at local night-school colleges, also he should consider doing some community volunteer/charirty work in his spare time - the reasons for doing these things is he can put together a CV that reflects work/study/interests other than factory & tradesman jobs.

>What costs is he likely to have to pay for a certificate enabling him to teach?

Hopefully the days of anyone turning up to pay for a cert and start teaching the next day are long gone? I'm not in the profession, but hope my kids don't get exposed to this.

With no degree, no TEFL/TESOL, and no teaching experience, chances are slim to none, particularly this time of year. As others have posted previously here, rules have tightened and living here yet working on a tourist visa most likely won't pan out. On the other hand, I have a friend who is a recruiter for one of the largest school systems in Thailand and he hasn't been able to fill five teaching positions for over a month because Thailand has slammed shut the door for unqualified teachers.

As much as I hate to say it, I believe it is a step in the right direction. With schools unable to fill positions for slave wages, they will have to raise the salaries to attract qualified teachers. If Thailand wants to be the "hub of education," this is the right approach, though I think they stumbled onto it rather than thought this one through.

Good on you anyway for trying to help a friend.

Just a few thoughts

You can get a job teaching English in Bangkok as long as you are a native speaker and have had a decent education at home - degrees etc are not essential - money 25k a month but dull time so alot of time spent at the language institute or school

Teaching English is not easy - with kids it is stressful particularly when you can't speak Thai but if you plan your lessons, try and learn some Thai and don't get angry when kids are disruptive you can make a living

Teaching adults is easier because classroom management isn't an issue

Working for Thais is not the same as working for farangs - it requires a thick skin, tons of patience and a cool heart

I started 20+ years ago and still teach now - like anything you get better the more you do it but it is unlikely you'll get rich - just enough to have a comfortable lifestyle

JGV

I agree he should find out if teaching would be good for him, I do think he has it in him to be a good teacher and speaks good english plus is very good with kids, he is also quite a good artist... yet I also agree and fair enough you dont want any old tom dick and harry teaching your kid without proper skills so point taken.

I will go through your replies in more detail later as I am really busy at the moment but do appreciate your replies positive and negative,

Cheers

your friend should take three years to prepare while still in the UK.

study English.

Save money... 35000 (bare minimum) baht per month first three months while looking for job...

flight... immigration fees...

does he party? if so he will crash here..

and can he live like a Thai for the rest of his life? that is the real question...

Guys... all points taken, and when I get time later I will read each post in more detail (busy at the mo with the kid)

I am not going to sit and fight off defend your points against this idea as that is pointless... I will appreciate them and take them into consideration and show my friend these posts.

I do think he would be a good teacher genuinly and I do know he is good with kids which I believe to be a big part of teaching (not that I know anything about teaching aside from my own wee nipper), as I say... I see alot of posts on here where people ask a question then sit and fight/object to what everyone says against the idea they ask.. which is kind of stupid to ask in the first place if you do that. Me I am more wanting to take in good and bad views on this.

I was not thinking he could just hop on a plane and teach kids the next day, I relies you need training etc, I would help him get the information to do this in the right way hopefully and also help him out in other areas where possible. I think if anything, it could be something he could be working towards, saving, training whilst he is currently working in the UK to give him something to aim for/look forward too.

Anyway, dont mean to be rude so I will reply later to each post individually and I appreciate ALL of the replies given.

Cheers

Archived