Trying to help a friend relocate to Thailand as a teacher

ryanhull

He needs the minimum of a TEFL course which he should be able to find a school in Britain . He could also take courses here but might as well study in England, take the basic course then work his way up. The course tests your skill in English but also shows ypu how to teach,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_English_as_a_foreign_language

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/english_as_a_foreign_language_teacher_job_description.htm

Can also search TEFL courses in Thailand to see the cost and programs available.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good that your trying to help your friend but if you

give him the wrong information, you will responsible

for his failure, wherever he goes he will earn less

than he does in the UK, have a look at another

scenario, can you see on the news how many

refugees are trying to get into the UK illegally, then

count how many others get in legally, through family

connections or holding EU citizenship, i have friends

who have lived in south east asia many years, now

they would love to return to the UK but financially

can't go, they have left Thailand because they can't

afford to live there so they try to exist living a hand to

mouth existence living in their one room apartment

drinking cheap beer smoking cigarettes until they die,

they don't have a woman because they have no money

remember in Thailand no money=no honey, tell him stay

in the UK until he becomes the odd one out.

I agree with TSF and quandow and JGV. They all give excellent points. But as a qualified teacher here for many years. I may have to go back to my birth home because of my age. I came here 45 years ago. Lived off and on for 35 years. Was a teacher back home. But I was young and impatient back then. Now I am very prepared and mellow. Not only do you have to be prepared, you have to have enough experience to handle anything at anytime. Just remember, the school requires anywhere from 18 to 24 hours/wk. but if you are an actual teacher, you will be putting in at least another 20-40 hours prep time. Checking writing, correcting tests etc. Just remember, that is part of the job. Maybe 20 hours at the school, but another 20 hours at home. It is part of the job. It must be done.

Nothing wrong with the North of England many good hard working people about many without sob stories, Like this one.

Thanks for your pointless input... I am from the north of the UK and am very hard working... I never said there was anything wrong with it however I would like to help my friend better his situation and enjoy Thailand like I do, I simply think my friend would enjoy a change in Thailand and I am therefor asking for information regarding becoming a teacher here for him.

Go post pointless gibberish on someone elses post.

Thanks

>What costs is he likely to have to pay for a certificate enabling him to teach?

Hopefully the days of anyone turning up to pay for a cert and start teaching the next day are long gone? I'm not in the profession, but hope my kids don't get exposed to this.

One "teacher" I ran into in HCMC mentioned he had obtained his qualification online. He stated that " it was no walk in the park....took me two weeks"

Fact is the word profession or professional has a different meaning. It implies a higher level of training or education.

After completing a long degree in medical field and yet years later stint in teaching senior math.....which required a further one year diploma of education. I find SOME folk trotting about calling themselves teachers a joke.

The suitably qualified teachers working here are not who I'm referring to. They are no doubt working very hard in a difficult job and by western standards very underpaid.

Can't speak ,Thai than you cant explain to the students W<>T<>F you are talking about/teaching,,, To many no hopers here already,,,

You shouldn't throw with rocks when sitting in a glasshouse....

Could you please explain what you're trying to say? Thanks a lot in advance. wai2.gif

Hi Ryan - good for you for wanting to share the joys you have found and help someone in a tough situation… I have done similar and often. But really, it has to come from him, he needs to have the desire. Many people are intimidated by travel and starting over - and especially moving to an uncertain fate.

I have helped a few retire here and others just can't seem to get on the plane, paradise is for someone else, not them… What I suggest is that you skype with him and give him all the info that you probably have already, but then, the ball is in his court - if he wants to make a move toward completing the requirements to teach, up to him. Though capable, he might not be able to picture himself doing it.

All you can do is make yourself available to help, you cannot make up his mind - of course, a visit would go a long way toward helping the decision if he can afford it… from what i have seen, where there is a will, there is a way...

good luck to him

Guys... all points taken, and when I get time later I will read each post in more detail (busy at the mo with the kid)

I am not going to sit and fight off defend your points against this idea as that is pointless... I will appreciate them and take them into consideration and show my friend these posts.

I do think he would be a good teacher genuinly and I do know he is good with kids which I believe to be a big part of teaching (not that I know anything about teaching aside from my own wee nipper), as I say... I see alot of posts on here where people ask a question then sit and fight/object to what everyone says against the idea they ask.. which is kind of stupid to ask in the first place if you do that. Me I am more wanting to take in good and bad views on this.

I was not thinking he could just hop on a plane and teach kids the next day, I relies you need training etc, I would help him get the information to do this in the right way hopefully and also help him out in other areas where possible. I think if anything, it could be something he could be working towards, saving, training whilst he is currently working in the UK to give him something to aim for/look forward too.

Anyway, dont mean to be rude so I will reply later to each post individually and I appreciate ALL of the replies given.

Cheers

Why do you give me the feeling that it's finally about yourself and not for the "imaginary friend in the UK?" You "show" your friend these posts?

Does he not know that you’ve posted this here? I mean, wouldn't you tell your friend about it, before you even start such a topic???

If your post is genuine and you're really helping a good mate, I take my hat off.

His B in English isn't a very good start being a teacher without a degree. That he's good with kids doesn't mean a lot, I mean it could be seen pretty much wrong...

To be honest, a TEFL, or TESOL certificate doesn't mean much. I’ve got both, but they weren’t really helpful finding a job.

Does he have any knowledge about pedagogical and deeper psychological skills? Does he speak an accent that could be hard to understand for Thai kids?

On what sort of visa will he be staying without a degree? Does he have enough money to survive a few weeks? Can he eat Thai food?

Can he drive a motorbike? How much does he know about Thailand and its culture?

I'm afraid that there're too many questions, you as his friend can't answer.

Have you ever thought how he'll feel when nobody else around him understands him, being in the middle of nowhere, in a tiny room with bugs and hot as hell?

You've mentioned in one post, (sorry haven't had the time to read all) that he's making not much money right now. Does he have some savings to give it a try?

Does he like to drink a lot? Please don't misunderstand my question................

The time's not the best one, midterm in October, then there'll be jobs available in November. But he can't show any experience, what will his resume look like?

I assume that he won't mention what kind of job he's doing right now, or? Of course will he find a job, but have you ever thought about classrooms with 55 kids inside, 40 degrees, no fan for the teacher and a few five hour teaching days per week?

The biggest problem seems to be that he doesn’t have a BA, nor any teaching experience. And then the visa issue. He should have a BA to get a work permit. And and and..............

Of course are there other ways and schools/ agencies employ some guys as trainers/ teacher assistants, etc....

Teaching English can/is be very stressful and it’s not just teaching. Preparing worksheets, correcting them, grading the students, writing individual evaluations for them, etc…

Quite a lot lose the battle, because there’re too many frustrating things coming with it. The language barrier, the period when the students start to like you. Or not, which is already the end of this particular job.

Then the search starts again and again and again. But no money comes in and Thailand doesn’t give your fiend anything. I’m pretty sure that he wants to have some decent food from time to time. You should know that these things have gotten really expensive.

I’m not sure if you’d do your friend a big favor by helping him to come to Thailand just to find out that he’s chasing a dream.

However, I hope your friend will make the right decision. Best of luck. Cheers- wai2.gif

Hi Ryan - good for you for wanting to share the joys you have found and help someone in a tough situation… I have done similar and often. But really, it has to come from him, he needs to have the desire. Many people are intimidated by travel and starting over - and especially moving to an uncertain fate.

I have helped a few retire here and others just can't seem to get on the plane, paradise is for someone else, not them… What I suggest is that you skype with him and give him all the info that you probably have already, but then, the ball is in his court - if he wants to make a move toward completing the requirements to teach, up to him. Though capable, he might not be able to picture himself doing it.

All you can do is make yourself available to help, you cannot make up his mind - of course, a visit would go a long way toward helping the decision if he can afford it… from what i have seen, where there is a will, there is a way...

good luck to him

Thanks, all good information on here, I will show him this thread when I get back to the UK along with some other info I have printed off... I think the best idea might be to do the course in the UK but hey I am only putting the feelers out here to gather some information for him.

Why do you give me the feeling that it's finally about yourself and not for the "imaginary friend in the UK?" You "show" your friend these posts?

Does he not know that you’ve posted this here? I mean, wouldn't you tell your friend about it, before you even start such a topic???

If your post is genuine and you're really helping a good mate, I take my hat off.

His B in English isn't a very good start being a teacher without a degree. That he's good with kids doesn't mean a lot, I mean it could be seen pretty much wrong...

To be honest, a TEFL, or TESOL certificate doesn't mean much. I’ve got both, but they weren’t really helpful finding a job.

Does he have any knowledge about pedagogical and deeper psychological skills? Does he speak an accent that could be hard to understand for Thai kids?

On what sort of visa will he be staying, without a degree? Does he have enough money to survive a few weeks? Can he eat Thai food?

Can he drive a motorbike? How much does he know about Thailand and its culture? I'm afraid that there're too many questions you as his friend can't answer.

Have you ever thought how he'll feel when nobody else around him understands him, being in the middle of nowhere, in a tiny room with bugs and hot as hell?

You've mentioned in one post, (sorry haven't had the time to read all) that he's making not much money right now. Does he have some savings to give it a try?

Does he like to drink a lot? Please don't misunderstand my question................

The time's not the best one, midterm in October, then there'll be jobs available in November. But he can't show any experience, what will his resume look like?

I assume that he won't mention what kind of job he's doing right now, or? Of course will he find a job, but have you ever thought about classrooms with 55 kids inside, no fan 40 degrees, no fan for the teacher and a few five hour teaching days?

The biggest problem seems to be that he doesn’t have a BA, nor any teaching experience. And then the visa issue. He should have a BA to get a work permit.

Of course are there other ways and schools/ agencies employ some guys as trainers/ teacher assistants, etc....

Teaching English can/is be very stressful and it’s not just teaching. Preparing worksheets, correct them, grade the students, write an individual evaluation for them, etc…

But quite a lot lose the battle, because there’re too many frustrating things coming with it. The language barrier, the period when the students start to like you. Or not, which is already the end of this particular job.

Then the search starts again and again and again. But no money comes in and Thailand doesn’t give your fiend anything. I’m pretty sure that he wants to have some decent food from time to time. You should know that these things have gotten really expensive.

I’m not sure if you’d do your friend a big favor by helping him to come to Thailand just to find out that he’s chasing a dream.

However, I hope your friend will make the right decision. Best of luck. Cheers- wai2.gif

Stopped reading your reply on your first line, negative idiot who clearly has had a bad day, have a word with yourself. For your information I have lived in Thailand for 3 years and have a wife/son/house/car/dogs and I am financially sound working in the IT industry (not rich not poor) but obviously you know more about me and my life than I do so I wont bother reading your negative post further as your clearly out to make digs at someone you know nothing about.

------

Thank you all for the information and replies including the pm`s which will be very helpful for my friend in deciding if it would be something he would be interested in doing or not... I appreciate alot of the negatives as well which should not be under-looked. This is not some dream I wanted to present to my friend merely something he might want to consider, and to be quite frank I am pretty sure he would enjoy it out here.

as kenk24 pointed out I am just trying to help an old mate out who I have been best mates with for aslong as I can remember who has helped me out in the past and stuck by me in hard times, I try my best to help everyone out friends or not where I can as that is how I have been brought up. Sure I can google this info but I thought it would be better to get information from those who are actually teaching and how they went about it etc. Some of the replies I feel are a bit harsh considering I was just asking for info but hey ho this is TV after all.

Cheers

Guys... all points taken, and when I get time later I will read each post in more detail (busy at the mo with the kid)

I am not going to sit and fight off defend your points against this idea as that is pointless... I will appreciate them and take them into consideration and show my friend these posts.

I do think he would be a good teacher genuinly and I do know he is good with kids which I believe to be a big part of teaching (not that I know anything about teaching aside from my own wee nipper), as I say... I see alot of posts on here where people ask a question then sit and fight/object to what everyone says against the idea they ask.. which is kind of stupid to ask in the first place if you do that. Me I am more wanting to take in good and bad views on this.

I was not thinking he could just hop on a plane and teach kids the next day, I relies you need training etc, I would help him get the information to do this in the right way hopefully and also help him out in other areas where possible. I think if anything, it could be something he could be working towards, saving, training whilst he is currently working in the UK to give him something to aim for/look forward too.

Anyway, dont mean to be rude so I will reply later to each post individually and I appreciate ALL of the replies given.

Cheers

Does he not know that youve posted this here? I mean, wouldn't you tell your friend about it, before you even start such a topic???

To be honest, a TEFL, or TESOL certificate doesn't mean much. Ive got both, but they werent really helpful finding a job.

On what sort of visa will he be staying without a degree? Does he have enough money to survive a few weeks? Can he eat Thai food?

Can he drive a motorbike? How much does he know about Thailand and its culture?

I'm afraid that there're too many questions, you as his friend can't answer.

I assume that he won't mention what kind of job he's doing right now, or? Of course will he find a job, but have you ever thought about classrooms with 55 kids inside, 40 degrees, no fan for the teacher and a few five hour teaching days per week?

The biggest problem seems to be that he doesnt have a BA, nor any teaching experience. And then the visa issue. He should have a BA to get a work permit. And and and..............

Teaching English can/is be very stressful and its not just teaching. Preparing worksheets, correcting them, grading the students, writing individual evaluations for them, etc

Quite a lot lose the battle, because therere too many frustrating things coming with it. The language barrier, the period when the students start to like you. Or not, which is already the end of this particular job.

Then the search starts again and again and again. But no money comes in and Thailand doesnt give your fiend anything. Im pretty sure that he wants to have some decent food from time to time. You should know that these things have gotten really expensive.

Im not sure if youd do your friend a big favor by helping him to come to Thailand just to find out that hes chasing a dream.

Great post.

He does not... but he does have very good GCSE grades, I believe a B in english... I am not fully sure on his A level....

Can I ask another quick question, are the online Tesol course a scam? do you actually get the cert out ofit?

Thanks

Yes, with no contact teaching to offer its literally worthless....mind you some of the other outfits are not much better, those about the visa business.

There's more to it than a genuine degree or any certificate...

Well thanks all, I think we can put this post to bed... only came to get some advise, I know nothing about teaching in Thailand just thought I would get some info for an old mate who could do with a change.... I now have the information I needed and it is appreciated.

If he does end up giving it a bash or is interested I will keep you updated, I do not want to make out as though teaching is a simple thing anyone can do but knowing my mate he is a bright guy and good with kids, that mixture i feel could do him good in such a position. I appreciate you guys might be thinking this is a secretly 'for a mate' when it is for me, but I assure you it is not and I would even dream of going into teaching, I have a son and he is enough for me.. to be quite frank I do not think I could handle screaming little kids running around all day, plus I am quite comfortable in my current position, in fact all I know is web coding and this is all I do and have ever done.

From what I have gathered from the replies is:

1. do not think teaching is easy sailing

2. do not teach kids if your not going to actually teach and provide them with a good education

3. do not think you can just get into a teaching job without the correct certifications/training

4. do not think having the certificate on paper is enough without real traiing

4. consider financially and wisely his financial situation and general life in Thailand, bills, accommodation etc (I can help him out a bit but my son is priority 1 for me)

If he does decide to give it a shot, I will help him in anyway possible as a good mate to me is family.

Questions such as can he ride a motorbike, does he drink to me seem a bit too pedantic if I am honest, he is a good lad with a brain between his ears, he knows bits about Thai culture from what I tell him, but as I did, I will let him learn like I did... obviously giving him advise on any obsticals he faces along the way despite being told various negatives here. Anyone who knows people in the UK working dead end factory jobs for ruthless employment agencies will understand, considering such a move here as a teacher might be a good idea... or it may not? but I always am of the mentality give something ago at-least.

In fact, quite embarrassing now, but when I was first a Thailand newbie (I still am to alot of you folks) I was warned left right and center about my current wife and any thai women for that matter... from not only TV`ers but family and friends... looking back I am glad I ignored this as I have a wife who has a heart of gold and a 7 month old son I love more than anything... what I mean by that is, sometimes in life you have to ignore the critics and follow your own brain just not your pe**s.

We are due a meet up on Saturday with a bbq and some rough thai whisky, I will relay all the pointers good and bad he should consider if this sounds like something he feels he could do or is of interest to him, you guys have done me proud by giving me your time to give valuable information which really you cannot just google. For that I appreciate, and for those who I may have come across a bit rude in my replies I apologies.

Good luck to all.

Well thanks all, I think we can put this post to bed... only came to get some advise, I know nothing about teaching in Thailand just thought I would get some info for an old mate who could do with a change.... I now have the information I needed and it is appreciated.

If he does end up giving it a bash or is interested I will keep you updated, I do not want to make out as though teaching is a simple thing anyone can do but knowing my mate he is a bright guy and good with kids, that mixture i feel could do him good in such a position. I appreciate you guys might be thinking this is a secretly 'for a mate' when it is for me, but I assure you it is not and I would even dream of going into teaching, I have a son and he is enough for me.. to be quite frank I do not think I could handle screaming little kids running around all day, plus I am quite comfortable in my current position, in fact all I know is web coding and this is all I do and have ever done.

2. do not teach kids if your not going to actually teach and provide them with a good education

3. do not think you can just get into a teaching job without the correct certifications/training

4. consider financially and wisely his financial situation and general life in Thailand, bills, accommodation etc (I can help him out a bit but my son is priority 1 for me)

If he does decide to give it a shot, I will help him in anyway possible as a good mate to me is family.

Questions such as can he ride a motorbike, does he drink to me seem a bit too pedantic if I am honest, he is a good lad with a brain between his ears, he knows bits about Thai culture from what I tell him, but as I did, I will let him learn like I did... obviously giving him advise on any obsticals he faces along the way despite being told various negatives here. Anyone who knows people in the UK working dead end factory jobs for ruthless employment agencies will understand, considering such a move here as a teacher might be a good idea... or it may not? but I always am of the mentality give something ago at-least.

In fact, quite embarrassing now, but when I was first a Thailand newbie (I still am to alot of you folks) I was warned left right and center about my current wife and any thai women for that matter... from not only TV`ers but family and friends... looking back I am glad I ignored this as I have a wife who has a heart of gold and a 7 month old son I love more than anything... what I mean by that is, sometimes in life you have to ignore the critics and follow your own brain just not your pe**s.

We are due a meet up on Saturday with a bbq and some rough thai whisky, I will relay all the pointers good and bad he should consider if this sounds like something he feels he could do or is of interest to him, you guys have done me proud by giving me your time to give valuable information which really you cannot just google. For that I appreciate, and for those who I may have come across a bit rude in my replies I apologies.

Good luck to all.

Good mates overseas become family.

One thing you'll never be guilty of is NOT trying to help a bloke who you think could be happier, despite overlooking the details......because eventually the details work themselves out...

I often do the same but only get rewarded with trying to seduce friends to the dark side......

This is only a personal opinion but I actually believe that you would be doing your friend a disservice by encouraging him to come to Thailand.

Without a degree, he is going to find life very challenging as a 'teacher' and his wages will be at subsistence level at best.

You seem to be ignoring

5. WIthout a degree he won't get a work permit.

Hi Ryan - good for you for wanting to share the joys you have found and help someone in a tough situation I have done similar and often. But really, it has to come from him, he needs to have the desire. Many people are intimidated by travel and starting over - and especially moving to an uncertain fate.

I have helped a few retire here and others just can't seem to get on the plane, paradise is for someone else, not them What I suggest is that you skype with him and give him all the info that you probably have already, but then, the ball is in his court - if he wants to make a move toward completing the requirements to teach, up to him. Though capable, he might not be able to picture himself doing it.

All you can do is make yourself available to help, you cannot make up his mind - of course, a visit would go a long way toward helping the decision if he can afford it from what i have seen, where there is a will, there is a way...

good luck to him

Thanks, all good information on here, I will show him this thread when I get back to the UK along with some other info I have printed off... I think the best idea might be to do the course in the UK but hey I am only putting the feelers out here to gather some information for him.

Does he not know that youve posted this here? I mean, wouldn't you tell your friend about it, before you even start such a topic???

To be honest, a TEFL, or TESOL certificate doesn't mean much. Ive got both, but they werent really helpful finding a job.

On what sort of visa will he be staying, without a degree? Does he have enough money to survive a few weeks? Can he eat Thai food?

Can he drive a motorbike? How much does he know about Thailand and its culture? I'm afraid that there're too many questions you as his friend can't answer.

I assume that he won't mention what kind of job he's doing right now, or? Of course will he find a job, but have you ever thought about classrooms with 55 kids inside, no fan 40 degrees, no fan for the teacher and a few five hour teaching days?

The biggest problem seems to be that he doesnt have a BA, nor any teaching experience. And then the visa issue. He should have a BA to get a work permit.

Teaching English can/is be very stressful and its not just teaching. Preparing worksheets, correct them, grade the students, write an individual evaluation for them, etc

But quite a lot lose the battle, because therere too many frustrating things coming with it. The language barrier, the period when the students start to like you. Or not, which is already the end of this particular job.

Then the search starts again and again and again. But no money comes in and Thailand doesnt give your fiend anything. Im pretty sure that he wants to have some decent food from time to time. You should know that these things have gotten really expensive.

Im not sure if youd do your friend a big favor by helping him to come to Thailand just to find out that hes chasing a dream.

Stopped reading your reply on your first line, negative idiot who clearly has had a bad day, have a word with yourself. For your information I have lived in Thailand for 3 years and have a wife/son/house/car/dogs and I am financially sound working in the IT industry (not rich not poor) but obviously you know more about me and my life than I do so I wont bother reading your negative post further as your clearly out to make digs at someone you know nothing about.

------

Thank you all for the information and replies including the pm`s which will be very helpful for my friend in deciding if it would be something he would be interested in doing or not... I appreciate alot of the negatives as well which should not be under-looked. This is not some dream I wanted to present to my friend merely something he might want to consider, and to be quite frank I am pretty sure he would enjoy it out here.

as kenk24 pointed out I am just trying to help an old mate out who I have been best mates with for aslong as I can remember who has helped me out in the past and stuck by me in hard times, I try my best to help everyone out friends or not where I can as that is how I have been brought up. Sure I can google this info but I thought it would be better to get information from those who are actually teaching and how they went about it etc. Some of the replies I feel are a bit harsh considering I was just asking for info but hey ho this is TV after all.

Cheers

Well Ryan , you should of read lostinissan post past first line. He was not negative at all. In fact found his comments very well informed. I have not taught in Thailand but have 20 plus years experience. He identified what teaching actually involves. Try reading his post and

digest his useful information.

Well Ryan , you should of read lostinissan post past first line. He was not negative at all. In fact found his comments very well informed. I have not taught in Thailand but have 20 plus years experience. He identified what teaching actually involves. Try reading his post and

digest his useful information.

Maybe good info, but I do not like to be called a liar and his first line suggested I am that.

Please don't call it teaching. Insult to real teachers with real qualifications. Perhaps child care would be more applicable.

Exactly, but perhaps being an out of work plasterer and sometime factory worker would be more appropriate. Just what Thai children need, an unqualified Northerner pretending to be a professional.

The Stickman site has a lot of info on teaching in Thailand. The good the bad and the ugly.....Sounds like your friend needs a boost and is already near the bottom so who knows a change could do him well....as long as he doesnt let the worst of Thailand get the better of him.

I know of both guys and girls coming here recently and finding halfway decent jobs. making 30 to 40.....and being able to pick up a few private students as well......

Its not impossible just takes time to sauce out.

It should be made impossible for people like him, he's a million miles away from being anything like a real teacher regardless of whether his misguided mate thinks that it would be good for him and that he would love the lifestyle.

And, for god's sake, I really hope that you're not masquerading as a teacher..."...just takes time to sauce out." Unbelievable.

Have him google Ajarn.com lots of info there. that site can do it all

Tell him to google "plastering opportunities in England". Or, if you're so convinced he'd be a good teacher, get him to apply for a teaching position in England, he'd be much better off there and so would Thai students.

Nothing wrong with the North of England many good hard working people about many without sob stories, Like this one.

Thanks for your pointless input... I am from the north of the UK and am very hard working... I never said there was anything wrong with it however I would like to help my friend better his situation and enjoy Thailand like I do, I simply think my friend would enjoy a change in Thailand and I am therefor asking for information regarding becoming a teacher here for him.

Go post pointless gibberish on someone elses post.

Thanks

You said it was grim, that's hardly complementing the place.

Ryanhull, I had a, quick, look at the thread.

Great to see friends helping each other thumbsup.gif

Being realistic, your friend, currently, isn't a teacher (neither in the UK nor Thailand).

Why shouldn't he consider being back to school to learn a job where he can develop himself?

I know, it's not that easy to work and study at the same time, but, if he's serious with his main objective it'll be the way.

Cheers,

smile.png

Ryanhull, I had a, quick, look at the thread.

Great to see friends helping each other thumbsup.gif

Being realistic, your friend, currently, isn't a teacher (neither in the UK nor Thailand).

Why shouldn't he consider being back to school to learn a job where he can develop himself?

I know, it's not that easy to work and study at the same time, but, if he's serious with his main objective it'll be the way.

Cheers,

smile.png

Fair play and all points taken, maybe it isn't such a good idea after all... Oh well if you don't ask you don't know, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have removed some off-topic and derogatory posts, but there are still some that remain. I see that some of the usual suspects are back to their usual inflammatory nonsense. I will try to see that the rules are enforced more carefully and they will give a short holiday.

I apologize that you have had to wade through those superfluous posts. Especially since some of the posters are non-native speakers and have managed by hook or by crook to slip under the rules in easier times.

I believe you have gotten a number of good responses. Just to reiterate, your friend will have a difficult time finding work legally without a degree. It is possible, but not likely. If he finds work, he is most likely not going to get a Work Permit. Without any experience or qualifications, he would have trouble finding a job in the larger, settled areas and would be most likely to find work in the hinterlands. For many, this is the real Thailand, but for a relative newbie, this may be a difficult situation.

Best of luck.

Firstly Thailand is in need of good teachers, and if you believe he has the potential to be one here that is great.

At 30 he has the time to train to be a teacher, doing that in the UK could prove difficult unless he can afford to

study for the next three years. If he is able to stay in Thailand with you for a while until he is earning a regular

income it will help him.

I would recommend he saves enough for at least 6 months of living here without any income. If he is

clever, smart and personable he would be able to get a job in a Language school as a Language trainer and would not

need a Degree. A good Language school would also provide a work permit which he could get without a Degree

as normally Language schools are registered as businesses not as schools. Once established he should be

able to earn between 30k and 40k a month. This is not enough for a sustainable life but it is a start.

He then needs to study for an Education Degree or a BA TESOL to become properly qualified. There are a few

Universities where you can do that here, but Thongsook College has a BA TESOL and has very flexible hours

which would be easy to fit in with working in a Language school. This is not a short cut and would take 3 years

to complete. If he passed he would be qualified to teach in Thailand in a school and not only that he would have

a far deeper understanding on what it is to be a professional teacher. At a decent Thai private school he would

be able to earn about 60k with possible private lessons on top.

There is absolutely no reason why someone of 30 can't retrain and do this. I know a fantastic teacher who retrained

at 50 got properly qualified and has a good job in a good Thai private school.

He will be qualified to teach in Thailand by the time he is 34 and if he continued for 2 years and did a Masters in Education

he would be able to teach in an International school in almost any country in the world.

In summary tell him not to take any short cuts, take it seriously, teaching is a rewarding profession and is a very important

job, as you are responsible for molding young minds and a future generation. I wish him good luck on his teaching career

in Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived