BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Udon Thani: Robert Hastings sentenced to 15 years by UK court for child abuse

There can be no worse crime than molesting kids. Like many RC priests have done for decades.

Technologybytes - you have it totally wrong - he should be flung into a deep & dark dungeon and the key must be thrown away.

Surely murder is worse?

From the point of view of the victim, I would disagree that murder is worse than child molestation. The murder victim is dead, so doesn't have to live with the thoughts of what happened to them. The victim of child molestation, rape, or similar heinous crimes, has to live with the thoughts of the event, or events, for the rest of their lives. From the point of view of family or friends, then it would be hard to make a call, all would be equally as horrendous I imagine.

I have to say though, I do hope that Mr Hastings has a truly horrific time in jail, he deserves every bit of it.

The child was British and abused in the UK. Get the story right. He wouldn't have been extradited and tried in the UK, if it occurred in Thailand.

Yes, you are right ;

a French man who did the same thing with a little boy in Nan , Thailand , is still in prison in Nan or maybe in Bangkok because Nan authorities said they don't want to keep him for the 23 years he was condemned ; it was about three or four years ago .

The child was British and abused in the UK. Get the story right. He wouldn't have been extradited and tried in the UK, if it occurred in Thailand.

The provided link takes me to a Chiangrai newspaper report dated November 2014, is that what you are commenting on?

Here is a local link to the paper in Somerset.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-33936250

My 2 Cents worth of wisdom: The treatment by fellow inmates would serve a purpose if it helped a Child Sex Offender not to offend again, or prevented him from doing it in the first place. Statistics absolutely do not bear that out. It's like wanting to cure an alcohol addict that way. It's not going to work. So, lock him away, yes, and of course barring from any further contact with children. But this showering in feces and all, that just serves to assuage a thirst of vengeance and that's not very productive, unworthy of a Western democratic justice system.

First thing that should have happened is smash his nuts with two bricks. When he has recovered from that remove the rest with a blunt knife and leave him to rot in dark damp cell until he is dead.

I have children and if he did this to one of mine he would have been dealt with.

What really angers me is that I have to pay to keep these filthy low life alive when the really effective answer to the problem is free.

Very hard to defend an allegation from 25 years ago. You have to be concerned that he hasnt just peed someone off. Like an ex partner who is upset he went to thailand. Its all to easy to say men who go to thailand are kiddy fiddlers. It's all to common an opinion around the world. Tell someone in the UK you have been to Pattaya and they will think u are a perve who cant get a women and need a prozzie or a lad.

Very hard to defend an allegation from 25 years ago. You have to be concerned that he hasnt just peed someone off. Like an ex partner who is upset he went to thailand. Its all to easy to say men who go to thailand are kiddy fiddlers. It's all to common an opinion around the world. Tell someone in the UK you have been to Pattaya and they will think u are a perve who cant get a women and need a prozzie or a lad.

Well, it's equally as hard to prosecute an allegation from 25 years ago, if not more so considering that the burden of proof is on the accuser. Despite what paranoid ex-pats say, people can't just pull allegations out of thin air and watch the justice system blindly accept them and jail people.

Considering that the victim contacted the police about the sexual offences caused to her when she was between the ages of four and nine, what makes you think it's an angry ex-partner behind this..? Because that's a pretty bold claim to make so I imagine you must have something to back it up, rather than just a vague sense of solidarity with the convicted.

First thing that should have happened is smash his nuts with two bricks. When he has recovered from that remove the rest with a blunt knife and leave him to rot in dark damp cell until he is dead.

I have children and if he did this to one of mine he would have been dealt with.

What really angers me is that I have to pay to keep these filthy low life alive when the really effective answer to the problem is free.

In other words you'd like the west to be more like ISIS?

I hear that the prisoners in the UK prisons do not like child molesters. I think they will give him his up pings for this offence!

The report in the Chiangrai TImes said that Hastings arrived in Thailand 9 years ago.

The offenses were evidently committed in the 1990's.

The Brits sure took their time in finding him !

I wonder if he had been kiddy fiddling in Thailand too? Hopefully not.

The report said he had a Thai wife so maybe he was a reformed character. (working as a teacher though?)

This case should illustrate what can happen to people who do bad things -- the law often catches up many years later.

Hastings may get some protection in prison but at least he can be thankful that he doesn't have to do time in The Bangkok Hilton.

I found these articles:

Life’s Hard When You’re a Convicted Pedophile: http://www.vice.com/read/lifes-hard-when-youre-a-convicted-paedophile

And this:

Hey Dad! star and convicted paedophile Robert Hughes showered in urine and faeces when he first arrived in prison

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3183338/Hey-Dad-star-convicted-paedophile-Robert-Hughes-showered-urine-faeces-arrived-prison.html

Apparently criminals of all types are allowed to abuse convicted paedophiles with impunity even though some of them have committed far more heinous crimes.

Not that child molestation isn't heinous but I guess murderers and rapists feel they have the higher moral ground.

And it appears that a number of these paedophiles are convicted on the basis of hearsay and invented evidence given by disgruntled wives/partners.

There are reports of how ex-partners have rehearsed the child in what to say to police and in court.

The acts of revenge by estranged wives knows no bounds and unfortunately they often go unpunished.

Thai police will very likely act upon the word of a disgruntled Thai wife of a foreigner where they see a chance of monetary reward.

When a foreigner is trapped in this scenario he is faced with an impossible task to prove his innocence.

"The Brits sure took their time in finding him !"

Definitely. Crimes committed in the 1990's. Crime reported in 2011. 2014 they figured out where he was and, as so often happens, they then depended on Thai police to apprehend him.

The offences were all committed in the 1990s in the Weston-super-Mare area against a vulnerable girl, who was aged between four and nine years old at the time.

The victim contacted police in February 2011 and was able to give a video statement the following month.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Paedophile-Robert-Hastings-escaped-Thailand/story-27608170-detail/story.html