Visit to the old Immigration Office

narkeddiver

There have been a lot of reports on trips to the new office at Promenada but I can't recall reading anything recently about the old office so I thought I'd share my experiences

I needed to get my stamps transferred to my new passport so I popped in on the off chance on Friday at around 11:30 to find out that they were full for the day

Went back this morning at 7:30 and they still had a couple of parking spaces left

There was no sign of any queues but a couple of people were sat around outside

Inside was already open and maybe 3/4 full - again no sign of any queues and a few staff were wandering about behind the counter

At around 7:45 one of the staff went to centre desk and after I explained what I wanted and was given number 303.

My number was called around 9:30 and I had my passports back and was out the door at 10:00 so pretty much 2 1/2 hours all together

The staff seemed much more relaxed and friendly at the process seemed much less stressed than previous visits

Splitting the services into two locations has improved things at the old office (only based on a single trip I know)

Hopefully things will change at Promenada to match - sooner rather later for all those who have to visit there

Looks like there were 2 people per counter plus 2-3 girls at the centre desk - the lady who worked through my application also had a student helping her

The 300 desk (BOI extensions & stamp transfers?) was the slowest of the three counters - the 200 desk was at about 212 when my 303 was called and the 400 desk was at 407 I think

Looks like there were 2 people per counter plus 2-3 girls at the centre desk - the lady who worked through my application also had a student helping her

The 300 desk (BOI extensions & stamp transfers?) was the slowest of the three counters - the 200 desk was at about 212 when my 303 was called and the 400 desk was at 407 I think

Could be part of the problem, appears to be twice as many staff as Promenada?

I think they've kept the more 'complex', time consuming extensions at the old office - BOI extensions always seem to be the slowest to process, and I guess marriage extensions take a while with interviews, checking maps, etc. Not sure about teacher / volunteer extensions

I would guess 90 day reports are relatively simple to process and retirement extensions require less work

The problem may well be that there are significantly more people on retirement extensions than other types of extensions

If immigration ever get the extra staff that they are due then they can add them to Promenada and solve a lot of the problems

If more 90 dayers could be educated in the options available to them then this might help reduce the problems of queueing and bums on seats - there are still the same number of reports that need to be processed so the amount of time required won't be reduced but the number of people certainly can

Thanks so much. I have been watching and waiting for such a report. Anny idea of the situation as regards marriage extensions? So based on your limited sample of days, no need for the crack of dawn lineup?

As of the 1st week of August crack of dawn...well 5:30 was still needed & that may not be good enough for marriage extensions.

Just depends on the turnout

Perhaps it varies from day to day but the 1st week of August was just as swamped as usual.

Also less workers to process marriage extensions. ( I think just one desk)

Air con in main waiting area was broken & some said it has been that way for awhile now.

Luckily not too hot these days

Good Luck

I visited the old airport immigration office this morning for a one year marriage extension. Arrived at 05:30. I counted 30 people ahead of me in an orderly queue. Some of these people are working for visa agents. All chairs were taken so i took two from the coffee shop. About 07:00 Immigration staff came out and started issuing numbers. Office was opened so you could sit inside until 08:30 when the office opens properly. I had all the copies so it all went smooth. All done and walking out of the office at 10:15.

I saw many people arrive at the office at about 08:30 ish and were turned away. Whatever they needed the quota was full for the day and the office had only just opened which is pretty shit really. The old office is not as crowded as it used to be. Easy to get a seat inside and nobody standing. Thats an improvement. I believe today was the last day of free of charge songtaoew shuttles between this office and the new Prom office.

Archived