Koh Samui: Aussie praises Thai People for kindness after getting his wallet back

webfact

Australian Guy Praise Thai People for Kindness after Getting His Wallet Back

man-reunited-with-his-wallet.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- On August 9 Mr. Barry Gordon Holmes, an Australia tourist, traveled from Koh Tao to Samui Airport to retrieve his lost wallet containing credit cards and 100,000 in cash

Mr. Holmes has expressed his sincere gratitude to all of the staff at Samui Airport and said he never expected to get the wallet back as he only realized it was missing once he had reached his hotel.

However he was contacted by officers at Samui Airport to say that Mr. Arnat Supamas, at airport security, had found his wallet in the airport.

Mr. Holmes would like to thank everyone at Samui Airport who helped him and said that he was very impressed with Koh Samui because not only is it a naturally beautiful island but the people’s hearts are beautiful too.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-08-17

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd like to balance this story out by saying when i lost my wallet with 19K baht in it the beautiful hearted people of samui were nowhere to be found sad.png

And when i forgot my (new expensive) towell in the restaurant in the resort on Samui it was gone in 5 minutes. Nobody of the personell knew where it was and i really came back within 5 minutes and there were no other customers.

So he also refused to use the ATM's in Thailand and brought a lot of cash. Well done mate! It's pure theft to let us pay 180 baht for using ATM's.

Actually in a previous trip to Australia it was a $6 ATM fee to access your account from a competitors ATM, so i dont think that fee would have shocked him so much.

If he was a one off tourist to Thailand he was probably carrying the bulk of his money around because he obviously didnt have a Thai account and presumed the banks here would gouge you for every fee they can and also rip you off on the exchange rate..like they do in Australia.

Hope he slipped the lady a bit of cash.

He's a he not a she - but you can never be too sure

The security is a man and the lady is staff at the airport judging by the name tag she is wearing...that's the way I see it?

100,000baht in a wallet?

How do people misplace such things? If I had 100,000baht while backpacking through Thailand, it would be in my butt.

maybe his "butt" was already stuffed full with his gold & jewels ??

just a thought ^^

i'd like to balance this story out by saying when i lost my wallet with 19K baht in it the beautiful hearted people of samui were nowhere to be found sad.png

I would say he got very lucky indeed with the security guard returning his wallet.

Now if it had been lost on say Chaweng Beach or the beach road, not so lucky i would have thought.

So he also refused to use the ATM's in Thailand and brought a lot of cash. Well done mate! It's pure theft to let us pay 180 baht for using ATM's.

Actually in a previous trip to Australia it was a $6 ATM fee to access your account from a competitors ATM, so i dont think that fee would have shocked him so much.

If he was a one off tourist to Thailand he was probably carrying the bulk of his money around because he obviously didnt have a Thai account and presumed the banks here would gouge you for every fee they can and also rip you off on the exchange rate..like they do in Australia.

Its $6 now? Wow thats gone up quickly. 3 years ago it was $2.

This was 4-5 years ago when i went on holiday. But i was told there was a bit of a backlash from the public since then, and they did lowered the fee to a reasonabl level.

Those stupid " handycash" ATMs they put in the pubs or where there are no other ATMs are extortionate though, i wouldnt be suprised if they are still expensive.

Its still, between $2.00 for banks and $2.50 for other financial institutions, and that information is as of today in Perth.

Yup, I had to withdraw some money from Oz recently, and not only was there a 168baht fee, but also the exchange rate was not so great either.

I'd certainly not carry that amount of cash with me (100k B). There's plenty of ways of avoiding cash: your own debit card, or get some "Travellers' Express" Cards. Two are issued, each with a different PIN, so if you lose one, you still have a spare. It's not free, but losing that amount of cash is a heck of a risk. Just don't withdraw cash when you return home. It costs $30.00!

The banks in Oz are rather good at gouging too, and using an opposition ATM is costly!

Not only bank fee, but Aussie banks giving the pathetic exchange rate.....

When something good like this happens it must really hit the die hard TV moaners hard.....clap2.gif

100,000 Baht in his wallet..Yea right!!!! must have been a bit of a squeeze..........knowing the media it was 20 Aussie 100 dollars bills and they converted it plus a bit to create a WOW factor to make for a better story.

Don't forget half of what they tell us isn't true and the othere half they make up

He was luckier than I was.

I was sitting at a bus stop early in the morning when my wife decided she must give a passing monk some money. Her give means I give her some money for her to give to monk. I put her on the bus and drove off and a few minutes later realised I had lost my wallet and race back to bus stop. No wallet. All my details were there passport copy, driving license, business card with phone numbers, etc but no luck.

Just goes to prove no good turn goes unpunished.

That Aussie was double stupid and double lucky ...

He went to Koh Tao and survived ...

He travel with 100,000B in Cash (must have been more earlier on his trip) and get it back after he lost it ...

BTW since when have they changed the Taxi driver to a Security Guard when they feel to bring these stories ... ?

Archived