Koh Samui: Aussie praises Thai People for kindness after getting his wallet back

webfact

Lost my iPod last year. Had no idea where it was. On the off chance I went back to a Starbucks I'd visited (BKK) two days before and asked there. The staff had kept it for me. They had no idea whose it was, but no one pocketed it.

Just everyday decent people doing the right thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was indeed very lucky to get it back.

I hope he gave a generous Thank You Tip to the man who found and returned the large wedge?

I would have given the man 10,000 Baht

LOL Aussies of course don't believe in Tipping......ask a London Taxi Driver.

i'd like to balance this story out by saying when i lost my wallet with 19K baht in it the beautiful hearted people of samui were nowhere to be found sad.png

I don't suppose for 1 minute it entered your mind that maybe a Farang found it hence you didn't get it back whistling.gif

So he also refused to use the ATM's in Thailand and brought a lot of cash. Well done mate! It's pure theft to let us pay 180 baht for using ATM's.

Actually in a previous trip to Australia it was a $6 ATM fee to access your account from a competitors ATM, so i dont think that fee would have shocked him so much.

If he was a one off tourist to Thailand he was probably carrying the bulk of his money around because he obviously didnt have a Thai account and presumed the banks here would gouge you for every fee they can and also rip you off on the exchange rate..like they do in Australia.

Its $6 now? Wow thats gone up quickly. 3 years ago it was $2.

It is still $2

I can't believe the shit that is written down by 95% of the above. What is actually wrong with saying the finder is an honest person? And, yes,he, the Aussie is young and still learning about o'seas travel. Some of you folk have serious problems. Perhaps time for me to depart from you miserable pricks. Kick me off I shan't care.

I can't believe the shit that is written down by 95% of the above. What is actually wrong with saying the finder is an honest person? And, yes,he, the Aussie is young and still learning about o'seas travel. Some of you folk have serious problems. Perhaps time for me to depart from you miserable pricks. Kick me off I shan't care.

That is the fun on TV, if it gets to you so much, you don't have to wait for them to kick you off, stop signing in.

#1. he is pretty lucky.

#2. He is realy stupid for caring that much cash on him.

I agree with #1, but #2 is questionable. It's less than $3k and he was on vacation, overseas. The stupid part is keeping cash and cards in one place and not keeping track of it.

Now if it had been lost on say Chaweng Beach or the beach road, not so lucky i would have thought.

Same thing happened at tops supermarket on Chaweng Beach road eight years ago, wallet with 100.000 baht returned to owner.

So he also refused to use the ATM's in Thailand and brought a lot of cash. Well done mate! It's pure theft to let us pay 180 baht for using ATM's.

Actually in a previous trip to Australia it was a $6 ATM fee to access your account from a competitors ATM, so i dont think that fee would have shocked him so much.

If he was a one off tourist to Thailand he was probably carrying the bulk of his money around because he obviously didnt have a Thai account and presumed the banks here would gouge you for every fee they can and also rip you off on the exchange rate..like they do in Australia.

Yup, I had to withdraw some money from Oz recently, and not only was there a 168baht fee, but also the exchange rate was not so great either.

I'd certainly not carry that amount of cash with me (100k cool.png. There's plenty of ways of avoiding cash: your own debit card, or get some "Travellers' Express" Cards. Two are issued, each with a different PIN, so if you lose one, you still have a spare. It's not free, but losing that amount of cash is a heck of a risk. Just don't withdraw cash when you return home. It costs $30.00!

The banks in Oz are rather good at gouging too, and using an opposition ATM is costly!

In Thailand for 15 years never had a credit card .have a BB debit card and do an over the counter visa cash withdrawal from my Oz Building Society.

Plus if you are a tourist would you rather be "gouged" 180 baht or risk either losing your wallet or being robbed. ATM scams on credit cards are still

happening just not worth it.

That is the fun on TV, if it gets to you so much, you don't have to wait for them to kick you off, stop signing in.

Nah. I'd prefer to be kicked off smotherb. That is my point, a bit more care and consideration for others, in my not-so pious consideration is why the world is going the way it is: Namely 'all self.' I ain't no kid but I once was (obviously) and most of us learn a little as we progress thru' life. Up to us to lead by example but we have failed. 'Fun', up to the subscriber I guess. Nawn lap fan dee (pardon my Thai transalation)

next Junta expects another 10 million Chinese tourists to visit Thailand because the people are so kind and honest even the jet ski operators have turned over a new leaf ' no its only a scratch I couldn't take that 10'000 baht from you just pop it in a charity box along the beach and thank you so much for your custom please call back any time .

Nah. I'd prefer to be kicked off smotherb. That is my point, a bit more care and consideration for others, in my not-so pious consideration is why the world is going the way it is: Namely 'all self.' I ain't no kid but I once was (obviously) and most of us learn a little as we progress thru' life. Up to us to lead by example but we have failed. 'Fun', up to the subscriber I guess. Nawn lap fan dee (pardon my Thai transalation)

Good luck trying to right the world by anything you do on TV.

i'd like to balance this story out by saying when i lost my wallet with 19K baht in it the beautiful hearted people of samui were nowhere to be found sad.png

I don't suppose for 1 minute it entered your mind that maybe a Farang found it hence you didn't get it back whistling.gif

not unless they were hiding in the back of the restaurant because my gf and i were the only customers left.

i came back 5 minutes later and now everybody had forgotten how to speak english dry.png

same with friend in BKK. lost wallet with 20k, USA driver's license and corporate ID card...all never to be seen again

That Aussie was double stupid and double lucky ...

He went to Koh Tao and survived ...

He travel with 100,000B in Cash (must have been more earlier on his trip) and get it back after he lost it ...

BTW since when have they changed the Taxi driver to a Security Guard when they feel to bring these stories ... ?

555 clap2.gif

Can't believe how tight and cheap some people are

To complain about a B180 service charge a couple

Of times each month to keep their funds safe in

Their home country; especially when everything

Else is so inexpensive when you live here.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif "when everything else is so inexpensive when you live here" .... gigglem.gifgigglem.gifgigglem.gif Did you earlier live in maybe Switzerland or Malibu ... hahaha

Archived