Koh Samui: Aussie praises Thai People for kindness after getting his wallet back

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he also refused to use the ATM's in Thailand and brought a lot of cash. Well done mate! It's pure theft to let us pay 180 baht for using ATM's.

Actually in a previous trip to Australia it was a $6 ATM fee to access your account from a competitors ATM, so i dont think that fee would have shocked him so much.

If he was a one off tourist to Thailand he was probably carrying the bulk of his money around because he obviously didnt have a Thai account and presumed the banks here would gouge you for every fee they can and also rip you off on the exchange rate..like they do in Australia.

Toss up between an FX 'rip-off' and losing, by hook or by crook, B100,000, I should have thought it was a no-brainer. And it seems it was.

he is one lucky man,i hope he showed his gratitude with more than a handshake.......100,000 baht is a lot of money to carry around,and stupid really.

Must have been a big wallet - I can barely get 20k in mine - and then it won't shut! Regardless, a bit of an idiot for carrying that much on his person - especially bearing in mind he was holidayng in Koh Tao!

The report says that he got his wallet back no where does it say he got his 100,000 Baht back or all of his credit cards...

Nitpicker! I think the guy's smile says that the wallet wasn't empty! And the guard's face says "Why did I bother?"

100000 baht ? Thats my 5 month budget. He must be very handsome and rich .

And he should tip the security guard, he looks pissed, probably found out later it was a thick wallet.

I left my carry-on bag in a taxi when arriving for a flight at Suvarnabhumi. Bangkok Airways kindly rang my phone, which was in my bag, driver came back and I gave him 500 Baht and thanked him profusely, silly me, 10 minutes later I found that he'd nicked my reading glasses.

So he also refused to use the ATM's in Thailand and brought a lot of cash. Well done mate! It's pure theft to let us pay 180 baht for using ATM's.

Actually in a previous trip to Australia it was a $6 ATM fee to access your account from a competitors ATM, so i dont think that fee would have shocked him so much.

If he was a one off tourist to Thailand he was probably carrying the bulk of his money around because he obviously didnt have a Thai account and presumed the banks here would gouge you for every fee they can and also rip you off on the exchange rate..like they do in Australia.

Its $6 now? Wow thats gone up quickly. 3 years ago it was $2.

It still was 4 months ago

Yup, I had to withdraw some money from Oz recently, and not only was there a 168baht fee, but also the exchange rate was not so great either.

I'd certainly not carry that amount of cash with me (100k cool.png. There's plenty of ways of avoiding cash: your own debit card, or get some "Travellers' Express" Cards. Two are issued, each with a different PIN, so if you lose one, you still have a spare. It's not free, but losing that amount of cash is a heck of a risk. Just don't withdraw cash when you return home. It costs $30.00!

The banks in Oz are rather good at gouging too, and using an opposition ATM is costly!

Dont put too much faith in the TEC i recently got mine through Commonwealth Bank and you know what........It wont work, says balance almost zero. Yes i did top it up when i collected it.

he is one lucky man,i hope he showed his gratitude with more than a handshake.......100,000 baht is a lot of money to carry around,and stupid really.

Must have been a big wallet - I can barely get 20k in mine - and then it won't shut! Regardless, a bit of an idiot for carrying that much on his person - especially bearing in mind he was holidayng in Koh Tao!

Carrying it on his person would'nt be so bad if he used a money belt, but to stuff it all in his wallet, rather silly i think

100000 baht ? Thats my 5 month budget. He must be very handsome and rich .

And he should tip the security guard, he looks pissed, probably found out later it was a thick wallet.

Not necessarily rich, some jobs pay good money in Australia, 5 years ago my daughter was earning Bht 1500 per hour driving one of those massive dumper trucks in the mines. Do that for 12 months and when holiday time comes around one has a fair bit of spending money.

Can't believe how tight and cheap some people are

To complain about a B180 service charge a couple

Of times each month to keep their funds safe in

Their home country; especially when everything

Else is so inexpensive when you live here.

Keep funds safe!!!!You mean allow them to use my money to make a profit and give me a smidgen in return for my generosity.

Archived