Thai Parks Postpones Double-pricing Rise

Jai Dee

Adjustment of admissions to 33 national parks is postponed until late next year

The National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation Department has postponed the increase in ticket prices to 33 national parks until November 30, next year.

Department chief Damrong Pidej (ดำรง พิเดช) said the postponement was meant to help tourist operators who agreed to organize trips to those national parks before the fee adjustments were announced.

Entry fees of Phang Nga Bay national park or Panyi (ปันหยี) Island in the southern province of Phang Nga will not be adjusted at all. Mr. Damrong said the fee increase could reduce the number of visitors thus affecting the income of villagers there.

He said the department will improve facilities at all national parks, including food centers and lavatories.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 August 2006

S.J....at least they ARE listening to you...well done.... :o

:D

yes, it's good to see positive results from one's efforts.

It also shows the power of Thaivisa to affect governmental policies.

Seems it has much more ability to do that than that AFOT, or ATOF, or... whatever it is that it is called... :D

I'll be sure to enjoy the same fees for the next 14 months... (kinda odd extension period, btw, but what the heck) and would encourage everyone to do so. NP's are one of the best things about Thailand. I've travelled to numerous sites and have had tremendously good times there. They are ....

hey.... wait a sec... come to think of it...

... perhaps this whole price increase delay is just some ploy to pacify us and accept from them what is already price gouging. That ain't right.... Why I oughta.... I oughta....

oh nevermind, I'm tired...

I'll pay the 200 baht and be satisfied...

I've been duly pacified.

Donz... you've won.

Do you lot think that the farang/local price disparity is being changed here?

What leads you to think that?

The price disparity was going to be changed (an increase) only in the sense that 400 for foreigners and 80 for locals (or Asians looking like locals) would have meant a 320 baht disparity, while the current (and apparently it will stay that way til Nov. 2007) is 200 for foreigner and 20 for locals (or Asians looking like locals) means a 180 baht disparity.... so by delaying the price increase, they are keeping a lower price disparity.

However, ratio-wise, the change would have made the price disparity actually less whereas the current 10 to 1 ratio would be lowered to 5 to 1, so by delaying the change, they are keeping a higher price disparity, ratio-wise.

• 4 weeks later...

Adjustment of admission fees of 28 national parks postponed until late 2007

The National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation Department has postponed until November 30, 2007, the increase of admission fees of 28 national parks.

The department said it did not want the fee adjustment to affect tour businesses which sold the trips to these national parks at old prices. The admission increase was earlier scheduled for September 15, this year.

The adjustment will cost Thai adults 20 baht more, or from 20 baht to 40 baht, and Thai children, 10 baht more, or from 10 baht to 20 baht. Foreign adults will have to pay 400 baht, up from 200 baht and foreign children, 200 baht, up from 100 baht.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 September 2006

From the TAT newsroom

In a bid to revive tourism to the six provinces along the Andaman coastline affected by the recent tsunami, the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has extended opening hours and waived entrance fees to 15 of Thailand’s marine national parks.

Phang-nga province

* Ao Phang-nga National Park

* Khao Lam Pee – Had Thai Muang National Park

* Mu Koh Similan National Park

* Mu Koh Surin National Park

Krabi province

* Tarn Boke Koranee National Park

* Mu Koh Lanta National Park

* Khao Lak-Lamru National Park

* Hat Nopparat Thara – Mu Koh Phi Phi National Park

Phuket province

* Sirinath National Park

Trang province

* Hat Chao Mai National Park

Satun province

* Mu Koh Petra National Park

* Tarutao National Park

* Thalae Ban National Park

Ranong province

* Lam Nam Kraburi National Park

* Laem Son National Park

According to reports by the Department, 80% of the national parks remain intact.

Contact information:

National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

Tel: +66 (0) 2562 0760

Web site: www.dnp.go.th

Parks put off double-pricing rises

BANGKOK: -- The National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation Department has postponed plans to double park entry fees, including a huge increase in the double-pricing fee for foreigners.

The fee raise was scheduled for last week, but the department said it did not want the fee adjustment to affect tour businesses, which had sold the trips to these national parks at old prices.

The new fees now will go into effect on Nov 30 of next year, officials said.

Prices for Thai nationals will double from 20 to 40 baht for adults, and from 10 to 20 baht for children.

For foreigners, prices will go from 200 baht to 400 baht per adult, while children will have to pay 200 baht instead of the 100 baht they pay at present.

-- Bangkok Post 2006-09-23

Plodprasop was the TRT National Resources Minister that introduced this - is he still in country?

And will the new leaders scrap it in their drive to eradicate corruption, as it was only ever intended for lining the pockets of TRT MP's anyway - all the tickets showed B20 regardless of which nationality you were.

Was required to pay 400 baht for Foreigner and 40 baht for Thai yesterday at Koh Samet's National Park.

The staff knew nothing of any change and refused to believe it.

They have been charging 400 baht to pick-up trucks full of foreigners since September 16 based upon their latest guidelines from headquarters. The truck in front of ours had 12 foreigners (4,800 baht) and ours had 10 with 2 Thais (4,080 baht). There was a steady stream of them behind us.

Was required to pay 400 baht for Foreigner and 40 baht for Thai yesterday at Koh Samet's National Park.

They have been charging 400 baht to pick-up trucks full of foreigners since September 16 based upon their latest guidelines from headquarters. The truck in front of ours had 12 foreigners (4,800 baht) and ours had 10 with 2 Thais (4,080 baht). There was a steady stream of them behind us.

to be more accurate, it is 400 baht for foriegn tourists.

if you are a foreigner with a work permit,permanent residency etc.. you should have no problem paying the local price.

*as an added note*

They seem more resistant as well to any sort of scamming or bending of the rules.

Two foreigners in our truck, I believe they were Swedish, who displayed a decent level of Thai language knowledge and produced Thai driver licenses and who sought entrance at the Thai price were rebuked and both ended up paying 400 baht each.

to be more accurate, it is 400 baht for foriegn tourists.

if you are a foreigner with a work permit,permanent residency etc.. you should have no problem paying the local price.

Actually, the law says it's 400 baht for foreigners... period. With no concession for work permits, drivers licenses, etc.

Not sure about PR papers and would assume if one had obtained Thai citizenship, they would be allowed in at the Thai price.

From the TAT newsroom - Dated 23rd Sep 2006

http://www.tatnews.org/tourism_news/2462.asp

In a bid to revive tourism to the six provinces along the Andaman coastline affected by the recent tsunami, the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has extended opening hours and waived entrance fees to 15 of Thailand’s marine national parks.

Phang-nga province

* Ao Phang-nga National Park

* Khao Lam Pee – Had Thai Muang National Park

* Mu Koh Similan National Park

* Mu Koh Surin National Park

Krabi province

* Tarn Boke Koranee National Park

* Mu Koh Lanta National Park

* Khao Lak-Lamru National Park

* Hat Nopparat Thara – Mu Koh Phi Phi National Park

Phuket province

* Sirinath National Park

Trang province

* Hat Chao Mai National Park

Satun province

* Mu Koh Petra National Park

* Tarutao National Park

* Thalae Ban National Park

Ranong province

* Lam Nam Kraburi National Park

* Laem Son National Park

According to reports by the Department, 80% of the national parks remain intact.

Contact information:

National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

Tel: +66 (0) 2562 0760

Web site: www.dnp.go.th

With a Thai driver's license you can get in at the Thai price. I wouldn't pay 200 now let alone 400. Don't know about you. A donation box....yes gladly.

That seems to be changing... as per yesterday, anyway:

Thai Parks Postpones Double-pricing Rise thread

btw, Koh Samet is NOT one of these affected by the fee postponement, as per the same thread...

400 baht per foreigner since Sept. 16 there.

btw, part II.... should consideration be given to merge these 2 threads?? or are they actually saying different things?

:o

btw, Koh Samet is NOT one of these affected by the fee postponement, as per the same thread...

400 baht per foreigner since Sept. 16 there.

Charter a speed boat from the Ban Phe pier... It will drop you directly on the beach of your choice. I do not remember the exact fare. But it was like 1500 to go to Ao Cho.

You arrive in 15 minutes. And you avoid this idiotic "tollway".

Edited by cclub75

From yesterday's Bangkok Post, it seems the new fees would be applied immediately for (farang) individual travelers ; the news fees would be waived until next year only for travel agents and thai citizens (de facto : asian citizens...). This would mean that "rich" farangs should pay a fee 20 (twenty) times higher than the "poor" asian (including fat wealthy millionaires):o .

Time for a boycott I think ...

From yesterday's Bangkok Post, it seems the new fees would be applied immediately for (farang) individual travelers ; the news fees would be waived until next year only for travel agents and thai citizens (de facto : asian citizens...). This would mean that "rich" farangs should pay a fee 20 (twenty) times higher than the "poor" asian (including fat wealthy millionaires):D .

Time for a boycott I think ...

I enjoy them too much to boycott them, but yes, it would be good if Thailand overhauled their entire pricing schedule for National Parks.

Perhaps it would be advantageous to roll all three current threads into this one or vice versa? :o

National Parks Admission Fees Adjustment Postponed Until Late 2007

Thai Parks Postpones Double-pricing Rise

I stopped by at the Krabi shell cemetary late afternoon and the ticket booth was empty. For what's there to see there is nothing worth paying 200 baht for anyway, but they want 400??? What a joke some of these parks.

100 baht for the real parks would be reasoneable, but then they have no clue, they just want foreigners money. The law of diminshing returns is at work here.

Speedboats arriving from Ban Phe to Koh Samet at Ao Cho, Wong Duan, etc. are met by Forestry officials collecting their "toll" as you wade ashore from the boat.

Absolutly not John.... I went to Samet many times, on week ends... Always used the speed boat (alone, of with other people). And I never saw that.

Last time was in august.

Of course if you use the speed boat to go to the north, where slow boats unload their cargo of tourists, a few dozen meters away from the "tollway" then it might be possible...

Edited by cclub75

Absolutely yes cclub75. I've seen boats met by Forestry officials as they came ashore on the Vong Duen beach. Also , as we left, boarding took a while exactly because of this, tourists arriving did not escape the fee.

Wouldn't one paying for a speed boat end up spending more that if he had paid the fee?

Applying this double pricing would bring on instant outrage in most countries. My argument was that a North American born friend of mine (whose parents were Cambodian refugiees) would get in for 20 baht while I'd pay 10 times the price :o

Edited by Tony Clifton