Chiang Rai Immigration

sunoco27

I recently moved to Chiang Rai from Khon Kaen. When I tried to report my new address to Chiang Rai Immjigration the officer told me that I could not report my new address to CR Immigration and that I could not make 90 reports in CR. He told me that I had to make my report to the Khon Kaen office because my visa renewal was made in Khon Kaen.

Does anyone know whether this is true?

When I moved from Chon Buri to Khon Kaen a while back the K K office allowed me to report my address in K K.

Also, does anyone know where one can get accurate up-to-date information about immigration rules. The website is outdated and local Immigration Officers don't give consistent answers.

What can you do when you think you are getting inaccurate information from an Immigration Officer?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three months ago I moved from Chiang Mai to Udon (for several months of research). In September my 90-day was due. I went to Udon Immigration. The officer looked askance at the documents I provided: passport, copies of relevant PP pages (signed), rent receipts, Form 47 (one copy), copy of previous 90-day report. He hemmed and hawed for a few minutes and led me to believe that I would have to return to CM to file.

In the end what he wanted was a signed copy of the house registration (ta​biian-​bâan ทะเบียนบ้าน) of the place in Udon where I currently live, plus a signed copy of the landlord's Thai ID card (have the landlord write down a contact number on the copy). After a trip back to see my landlord and a few words on the phone with my landlord, the officer accepted my report.

The Immigration Office covering the new location in Chiang Rai should allow you to file a Change of Address form.

As Seligne2 wrote, you'll probably need to furnish copies of the House Registration, owner information, along with completed and TM28, TM30, and your normal TM47.

http://www.immigration.go.th/ Download Forms available as DOC and PDF formats

Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours (TM.28)

Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)

Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 Days (TM.47)

Chiang Rai Immjigration the officer told me that I could not report my new address to CR Immigration and that I could not make 90 reports in CR. He told me that I had to make my report to the Khon Kaen office because my visa renewal was made in Khon Kaen.

Soup501,

Cross-posting the same query in multiple topics isn't allowed. Since you first posted your question here, the MODS have deleted your created topic and moved the responses here. The question is fine, double-posting isn't.

Back to your question: You may need to take a Thai speaker you understand along with you to Immigration to help. People with 'extensions' from other provinces/districts move all the time. You just need to provide the proper paperwork to the 'correct' person, even if the 'correct' person is someone different from the Immigration Officer you originally spoke to.

The Immigration Office covering the new location in Chiang Rai should allow you to file a Change of Address form.

As Seligne2 wrote, you'll probably need to furnish copies of the House Registration, owner information, along with completed and TM28, TM30, and your normal TM47.

http://www.immigration.go.th/ Download Forms available as DOC and PDF formats

Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours (TM.28)

Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)

Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 Days (TM.47)

So a three day trip to Chiang Mai or Bangkok has to be notified?

If you travel around the country and stay in hotels it is their responsibility to notify the authorities and most hotels have you fill out a form and take a copy of your passport. Some places we have stayed didn’t bother or only wanted my wife’s ID to avoid the paperwork. If we stay with friends we don’t bother telling anyone and no one has ever asked.

I understand the instinctual response when something goes wrong is to blame the Thais but quite often it is a language problem, misunderstanding or an attitude problem on the part of the irate foreigner. It makes sense that you can’t do a 90 day report until you have registered a change of address which would logically include informing the old immigration office that you have moved so they can take you off their local list.

So a three day trip to Chiang Mai or Bangkok has to be notified?

I think once they figured out this wasn't Russia, the Thai Immigration decided not to strictly enforce that particular rule. Maybe because there is no profit in it for them.

Most members have reported that Immigration will either be surly, short, or say "Mai Pen Rai", not wanting to be bothered with the short stay.

But other members have posted, when doing their 90-day in a new province, "Upon leaving they gave me a warning, Make sure if I travel to another province for more than (3) days to report to that Immigration office with an address form."

So I guess it just depends on whose fiefdom you've trodden into. Though, if moving, I would suggest doing the TM28 even if you don't need to report yet.

I had another excellent experience at CR immigration last week. I stupidly forgot about my extension until 3pm on the last day of my Visa. I have a 1 year Non-O multiple entry, and I have used all my entries. Seeing as I'm flying back to the UK for a couple of months next week, I'd decided to just get the 60 day extension for visiting family. We rushed over there with marriage certificate and wife's ID card, and it was quite busy at 3.30pm. My heart sank, but they were very efficient and got to me very quickly. We didn't have our landlord's tabien baan, but the officer let it slide, and stamped my extension with the proviso that I brought in the copy of the tabien baan on Monday morning. Two thumbs up again - I've yet to have anything other than a great experience with them.

Did my first 90 day check in today, office was empty apart from staff, waved straight to the counter, smiles all round, business completed in less than two minutes, more smiles and wais all round.

Hope no one from Chiang Mai is reading this.... cool.pngcool.pngcool.png

60 day extension need to go at cm immigration around 4 5 am what a big joke 5555555+

That's something I just realized is really lacking on TV. A DISLIKE button.

If there had been I just pushed it. Twice.

Did my first 90 day check in today, office was empty apart from staff, waved straight to the counter, smiles all round, business completed in less than two minutes, more smiles and wais all round.

Hope no one from Chiang Mai is reading this.... cool.pngcool.pngcool.png

60 day extension need to go at cm immigration around 4 5 am what a big joke 5555555+

• 1 month later...

We know how to do things right here in Chiangrai. I was first in line at immigration when they opened the door after lunch today. I walked out the door at 2 o'clock with my visa extension complete.

We were there for 2hrs45m for retirement yesterday. Good thing you are not on that there are only 2 days they can do them.n Polite and helpful as usual though.

We know how to do things right here in Chiangrai. I was first in line at immigration when they opened the door after lunch today. I walked out the door at 2 o'clock with my visa extension complete.

We were there for 2hrs45m for retirement yesterday. Good thing you are not on that there are only 2 days they can do them.n Polite and helpful as usual though.

I seem to remember someone waxing lyrical about retirement visas and saying never again to marriage visas. I could have gotten that confused though. I never have any problems with my marriage visa.

I seem to remember someone waxing lyrical about retirement visas and saying never again to marriage visas. I could have gotten that confused though. I never have any problems with my marriage visa.

It was not me. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The needs and how they percieve them is up to the individual. I have chosen the retirement route for now.

My comment was related to the fact that the officers were particularly busy and still remained helpful and polite. I think some of the visistors enoyed a cup of hours picnicing on the grass in the shade of palm trees. Of course the crowd there was not just retirement visas. It included 90 day reports. tourist extensions and dare I say marriage visa extensions.

A pity you did not come a day earlier. Would have been nice to see you.

It was not me. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The needs and how they percieve them is up to the individual. I have chosen the retirement route for now.

My comment was related to the fact that the officers were particularly busy and still remained helpful and polite. I think some of the visistors enoyed a cup of hours picnicing on the grass in the shade of palm trees. Of course the crowd there was not just retirement visas. It included 90 day reports. tourist extensions and dare I say marriage visa extensions.

A pity you did not come a day earlier. Would have been nice to see you.

Yes indeed, it would have been nice to catch up.

I guess this week is just busy. I stopped by last Tuesday to check on requirements for this year. You know, just to see if anything had changed. There was one other person at the counter so I was a little surprised when there were more people today. It is getting closer to the end of the year, though, so it is busy everywhere.

I was there yesterday and it was the busiest I have ever seen the office. I was there for 90 day report and TM30 lodgement. We were there for about 45 minutes. What time did you go?

1 pm

I was the guy sitting in the grey vigo outside. (there is not wheelchair access).

A pity I did not know you to recognise as it would have been nice to talk to you.

I was out of there about 1030 so we would have missed each other. It would be good to catch up.

• 4 months later...

The service at Chiang Rai Immigration rose to a new level today when I had barely sat down to wait and an officer left the counter and came out and took my passport without me having to get up.

The other half had gone to look for the hong naam and when she got back and saw me waiting outside thought I had been refused a visa renewal and been thrown out.

Oh ye of little faith.

• 5 months later...

I had a lengthy visit to Chiang Rai Immigration yesterday, my fault entirely after looking at the wrong date and inadvertently overstaying earlier this year and having to start again... so had a chance to observe other visitors.

I was a bit disappointed in a couple of farang who became quite vocal over matters that the officers were unable to assist with.

I believe we have a pretty good relationship with our local office and are fortunate when compared with other places I read about on the forum.

Please, these people will help you if they can, let's keep our relationship with them civil.

The CR Immigration office is located by the airport, by the road on the landing corner. About 20 minutes from downtown.

Sometimes the office is empty, taking 5 minutes in and out for the 90 days, and 20 minutes for the one year extension, but.... I usually stay longer every time to enjoy the nice seats, the AC, and the free coffee, and to keep the staff busy listening to my BS. Poor guys...they are bored most of the times!..and I will go just to visit them to say Hello, and to chat with the nice looking officers..but..my wife insist in going with me every time. She do not trust me. I met her in a Government office too.

If you are single..ask for Oi...she rocks!...

• 11 months later...

Another 10 minute 90 day report this morning.

Service was smooth, polite and helpful when I asked for confirmation of the date of my next renewal.

A warning to people not to fall into the same trap I did a couple of years back, if you leave the country and return, the day of your 90 report will change, the date your visa expires will not.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Immigration Monday just after 9.00. It was packed, I counted to 22 people waiting. 

We were there so wife could report her husband was back in the house after our trip to Hanoi. 

I prepared for a long wait but we were out within 20 minutes. 

OK, it was not 22 customers because most customers came with 1 or 2 helpers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went in about 9.00am to activate new visa today and was in and out in about 15 minutes.

About 5 waiting (according to the tickets) when I arrived but they have a lass at a desk at the door who took my passport and jumped me over the queue.

Not sure if it's because I'm hansum or a ThaiVisa member. :cool:

Archived