Chiang Rai Immigration

sunoco27

31 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Went in about 9.00am to activate new visa today and was in and out in about 15 minutes.

About 5 waiting (according to the tickets) when I arrived but they have a lass at a desk at the door who took my passport and jumped me over the queue.

Not sure if it's because I'm hansum or a ThaiVisa member. :cool:

She must know you a Thai Visa GM

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I popped in the other day for my annual 60 day extension for the last entry on my multiple entry O, and it was a very smooth hassle free process. The desk officer merely glanced at the copies of paperwork, wasn't interested in originals. I had brought the original of "best beloved" with me but he didn't need to speak to her either!

Excellent service. Interestingly he appeared to be the only man in uniformed service in Thailand who wasn't a parachutist.

There was the inevitable voluble chap in front of me trying to persuade them to bend some rule or other to allow him to stay; they were polite but not going to do so...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

Will be moving to CR in March. My 1 year retirement extension is due early May. If I get my proof of income letter from Canadian Embassy in Bangkok in March before I move, will it be accepted by Immigration? Here in Jomtien it cannot be more than one month old.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:04 PM, sceadugenga said:

I always get mine from the CM consulate the Embassy visitation before my renewal is due.

Did you know about them?

They can do just about anything other than renew passports.

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Consular_Outreach_Visits.html

They can renew passports. I did mine in 2016 and when I was there last June they were renewing passports.

10 hours ago, ripstanley said:

They can renew passports. I did mine in 2016 and when I was there last June they were renewing passports.

Indeed they are.

During the outreach visits, we will provide the following services:

* Passport applications - Please ensure you bring the completed Renewal Passport Application form (PC7) or Overseas Passport Application form (PC8) which can be downloaded from the website, (www.passports.gov.au) and all supporting documents (original and copies) before coming to an outreach visit.
* Notarial services
* Statutory declarations for marriage, retirement visas, and witnessing for driving licence renewals
* Witnessing documents
* Certified true copies of documents (please ensure you bring the original and a photocopy of each document with you)

The Canadian Consulate in Chiang Mai city can assist you with all Passport-related inquiries.  They will provide you with the documentation, review the completed forms with you to ensure correctness, transfer the documents to the Bangkok Embassy and notify you when the new passport arrives.  

The process takes only days and except for the passport fee itself, is free.

The consulate number is 053 850 147, open mornings.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, frodo77 said:

Will be moving to CR in March. My 1 year retirement extension is due early May. If I get my proof of income letter from Canadian Embassy in Bangkok in March before I move, will it be accepted by Immigration? Here in Jomtien it cannot be more than one month old.

There have been some letters to Postbag recently about new visa issues.

Anyhow, I think this is a newfangled requirement, but Imm Dept requires a personal visit by any farang who travels outside the country - as soon as the farang returns (in our case, to Chiang Rai), that person is required to, right away, report to Imm Office.  Here's the reason, as I understand it:

Imm needs to verify you're still staying at the address they have you pegged at in their files.

Even for an old timer like me, who has been in the same house in C.Rai for 19 years, we're all required to jump through that new hoop.  If I'm wrong on any details, please post it in this thread.

The requirement, mentioned above, may also apply to any time any farang leaves one province to go to another, and then return back home again.   That's what one of the letters to Postbag claimed.  So, for example, if a farang goes to a town outside of Chiang Rai province 3 times per week, ...let's say to visit a friend or family member, that traveler is required to go to the Imm Office each successive time, upon returning to C.Rai, to assert that he/she is still residing in the place he/she is on file to be residing in.  I don't think this sort of requirement happened, even during S.Africa's apartheid.  Neither does it apply to convicted felons who have done their time in prison - .....but it applies to farang staying in Thailand.

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Anyhow, I think this is a newfangled requirement, but Imm Dept requires a personal visit by any farang who travels outside the country - as soon as the farang returns (in our case, to Chiang Rai), that person is required to, right away, report to Imm Office.  Here's the reason, as I understand it:

The reporting is not really new. Only the possibley incorrect enforcement of it at some offices is new.

Do you have any proof it is now being done at Chiang Rai immigration.

You are also quoting an unauthorized source (Bangkok Post postbag).

Thus far everything in the new is about Phuket immigration.

I came back from overseas last April, my 90 day was due a week later and the officer said..."you have to check in with us 24 hours after returning to the country..."

I tried to look as dumb as possible... not difficult... and she said, "but you could not have known that so I'll let you off this time".

:huh:

On 2/3/2018 at 7:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

The reporting is not really new. Only the possibley incorrect enforcement of it at some offices is new. Do you have any proof it is now being done at Chiang Rai immigration.

You are also quoting an unauthorized source (Bangkok Post postbag). Thus far everything in the new is about Phuket immigration.

I was told by two desk clerks (I think one was the office boss) at Chiang Rai Imm office.  less than a week ago.  I thought of ignoring it, because I have a multiple-entry permit, and I go/return over Thai borders often.  But the post above indicates that Imm is taking it seriously - and possibly levying fines.  Thailand's police state just eased closer to N.Korea-style.  I don't like it.

It means that I'll have to devote a full morning - each time I return from a trip (across a Thai border or a Thai province border) - to drive 30 km to inform Imm that, yes, I still reside in my house. 

I went to Thai Imm 6 days ago.  Got there are 11 am.  There were no paper numbers to take.  Just red letters spelling out the message they were full for the day.   If that happens when I return from my many trips, then it will be even added inconvenience - if, when I get to the Imm office, they again say they're full, and I have to return another day.   

This could be the proverbial 'straw that broke the camel's back' for me - to leave Thailand.  There are other things that piss me off about Thailand, but I don't think readers want to hear me bellyache further.  

Thailand could be such a better place to reside - with just a few improvements.   It's almost like certain Thais want to make particular things annoying/difficult ....for farang and for fellow Thais.  

23 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I came back from overseas last April, my 90 day was due a week later and the officer said..."you have to check in with us 24 hours after returning to the country..."

I tried to look as dumb as possible... not difficult... and she said, "but you could not have known that so I'll let you off this time".

Now, you, me, and all other farang in Thailand will have to comply.  You are required to comply, or else face penalty.    Sounds like apartheid, doesn't it?   .....or N.Korea.

Two questions:

#1.  In order to comply with the newly enforced edict, is it possible to do it online?  At this point, I don't think so, because the two Imm authorities who informed me of this draconian law, ...told me to report in person.

#2. If I go in with a handwritten note indicating my address, and stating I still reside there, will it suffice?   and if I plop it down on the Imm office counter, ....will that suffice?  I mention plopping it down, because I don't particularly want to take a number and wait indefinitely to be called.  'wela sia'   literally; 'time broken'  ...in Thai.   Wasted time, in English.

What's next (?!), having an official document translated to Thai with a lawyer present .....to verify that I still reside in the house I've resided in for nearly 20 years.

If I could confront the Bangkok idiots who enacted this ridiculous edict - they would each get a hard kick in the groin from by steel-toed boot.

23 hours ago, siriweith said:

In chiang rai the immigration say that the report must to be written in 24 hours by the owner of the house. anyway penalty is only 2000 thai baht 

You say 'written' ....do you mean on an official form (at Thai Imm office)? ....or just a simple statement on a piece of paper?   

Have you heard of anyone being fined, thus far?

What's next from Thai Imm?  Report in twice a week for a strip search, to make sure we're not wearing soiled underwear?

I am assuming this only applies to visits to overseas...   to quote boomerangutang..........

"....that person is required to, right away, report to Imm Office" 

My ex-Thai visits have been solely to LaoPDR or Myanmar.  When returning to Thailand, it is impossible not to report to Chiang Rai Immigration on one's return.

So that requirement is fulfilled - automatically.

2 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

I am assuming this only applies to visits to overseas...   to quote boomerangutang..........

My ex-Thai visits have been solely to LaoPDR or Myanmar.  When returning to Thailand, it is impossible not to report to Chiang Rai Immigration on one's return.

It's not just for overseas visits.

I'm pretty sure you even have to advise them if you go to Chiang Mai for a few days for example.

If you stay 1 night in Chiang Mai (or Hua Hin in my case) and the hotel you stay in reports you to the CM Immigration, you will have to report yourself within 24 hours in CR. I was fined for not doing so.

To make it even more bizar is the fact that Bangkok doesnt care much about this rule and Chiang Rai starts handing out fines the moment you move here. 

17 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Your post is not clear to me.  Upon re-reading your post, it appears you're referring to yourself going and returning across borders.

If so, and you're a farang, then you're required to go, in person, to Chiang Rai Imm office to report (as soon as you return to C.Rai), assuming you reside in Chiang Rai.   If you're referring to situations in the past, then that's in the past.  I'm referring to the current edict, as told to me by Imm officials, last week.

Regarding reporting to Imm when leaving and returning to C.Rai province, all within Thailand:

I think that if a farang doesn't do anything official involving  passport (for example: showing a passport to get a hotel room), then the farang can probably skirt the requirement to report to C.Rai imm upon returning to C.Rai province.   Bureaucracy refers to bureaucracy (their files, etc), so what they don't know shouldn't bother them.

For a long time (up until a few years ago?) Bangkok city fathers instated an even more draconian edict for hill tribers living in Thailand.   Hill tribers were not allowed to even travel from town to town without formal official paperwork.  The village headman had to pre-approve travel papers!  I don't think things were/are as bad, in that regard, in N.Korea.     

Archived