Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

A powerful bomb exploded near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people.

BANGKOK: -- Several cars were also damaged when the bomb went off near the Phraprom shrine.

The bomb caused panic among office employees and shoppers.
It was not immediately known it was a grenade explosion or car bomb.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/123509

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Explosion Reported at Bangkok's Erawan Shrine
By Khaosod English

bkk.jpg
Scene this evening in front of the Erawan Shrine near Amarin Plaza on Sukhumvit Road.

BANGKOK — A large explosion in front of Bangkok's Erawan shrine injured at least 10 people at around 7pm tonight.

Photos from the scene show blood and bodies laying on the ground as rescue workers rush to provide aid. In images tweeted by JS 100 radio just after the blast, fires were burning in Sukhumvit Road before the local landmark, which is heavily frequented by Thais and tourists alike.

One of those injured is believed to be a foreign national, according to Thai Rath TV.

Photos from the scene appear to show an injured Caucasian woman being taken away on a stretcher.

There is no indication yet of what caused the explosion during rush hour. Roads around Rajaprasong Intersection have been closed.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439814244&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-17

Bomb kills at least seven, wounds over 30

8-17-2015-7-35-41-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A powerful bomb, suspected to be planted in a motorcycle bombparked on Ratchadamri road near Rajprasong intersection and opposite the Erawan shrine, went off late this evening killing at least seven persons, and injuring about 30 others.

Among the casualties included foreign tourists who were praying at the shrine.

Most casualties were those who were crowding the shrine during the rush hour.

The powerful bomb sparked off fires to several parked motorcycle taxis and passing vehicles.

Security officials now sealed off the intersection and ordered all vehicles to avoid the intersection.

EOD police moved in to clear the scene.

It was not immediately known if it was a motorcycle bomb or car bomb as they were completely burnt down.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bomb-kills-at-least-seven-wounds-over-30

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-18

#BREAKING: Thailand's national police chief says it appears #Bangkok explosion was caused by a bomb: http://fxn.ws/1IWujh3

BANGKOK (AP) - At least 1 dead as large explosion rocks major Bangkok intersection; cause unclear.

i'm reposting my last comment from my Forum Blog (as my forum thread was closed adn redirected to here)

I live very close to there.. (a few minutes walk)

its really buzzing with sirens.

and yes,, i felt the blast sound (vibrations of it) through my body in my condo.

tonnes of emergency services now I can see...

but really.. I must say how pathetically SLOW they were to arrive. (especially as its a couple of minutes drive away).

at least Emergency Bikes should have been the first ones to the scene... (but I heard NOTHING until at least 15 minutes after the blast).

that in itself is a story.. the shocking response time!

it has taken more than 40 minutes (since the blast) to free-up a lane of traffic so that emergency services vehicles can hurry to and from the blast site.

Authorities cautioned public in the area to vacate the area, fearing more undiscovered bombs #BangkokBomb

Police donning bomb squad suit to possibly diffuse a possible bomb at Rajprasong Intersection now. #Thailand 19.59

@twitter

Lets not jump to conclusions - 'bomb' and 'explosion' are the same word in Thai.

Police spokesmen have made it clear they believe it was a bomb, and are using the word บอมบ์ (bomb, loan word from English) on Thai news.

Archived