Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking from the office along RamaIV to BTS Saladaeng a bit before eight I saw many police cars (the wagon type) speeding past turning into Ratchathewi. Also a few ambulances. Wondering what happened. When the train turned from Rachathewi to Siam I could see many police cars in front of CentralWorld. Taking a motorcy at Victory Monument the driver told me a bomb, nine dead and 'pokkaty' (i.e. problems).

O negative is the most valuable blood group in an emergency situation as it can be given to all recipients regardless of their blood type.

It is also the very rarest of blood groups in Asia.

If you are a foreigner currently in Bangkok and you have O negative blood, please head down to the Red Cross or a Hospital and make a donation.

When they find the woman who placed that shopping bag @ the shrine, and they will.....

They should use pipes and blow torches until everyone is given up.....

That is if she's still alive!

RIP to those innocent people..

A true tragedy!

#BREAKING: Thailand's national police chief says it appears #Bangkok explosion was caused by a bomb: http://fxn.ws/1IWujh3

BANGKOK (AP) - At least 1 dead as large explosion rocks major Bangkok intersection; cause unclear.

i'm reposting my last comment from my Forum Blog (as my forum thread was closed adn redirected to here)

I live very close to there.. (a few minutes walk)

its really buzzing with sirens.

and yes,, i felt the blast sound (vibrations of it) through my body in my condo.

tonnes of emergency services now I can see...

but really.. I must say how pathetically SLOW they were to arrive. (especially as its a couple of minutes drive away).

at least Emergency Bikes should have been the first ones to the scene... (but I heard NOTHING until at least 15 minutes after the blast).

that in itself is a story.. the shocking response time!

it has taken more than 40 minutes (since the blast) to free-up a lane of traffic so that emergency services vehicles can hurry to and from the blast site.

You chose to live in a developing country. Can't compare Thailand to say, US or UK. Apples to oranges.

Plus you should already know the notorious traffic/congestion in BKK roads. There's no such thing as "a couple of minutes drive away".

Anyway, RIP to all the victims.

At least 15 killed in bomb blast near the famous Erawan Shrine

8-17-2015-8-41-17-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- At least 15 people were killed and dozens injured when a powerful bomb exploded near the Erawan Shrine at Ratchaprasong shopping district at about 7 pm.

Dozens of cars and motorcycles travelling through the busy Ratchaprasong intersection were damaged from the scattering shrapnels and the force of the blast.

It was still not known whether the explosion came from the motorcycle bomb or a bomb planted near the shrine which is popular among locals as well as tourists from Hong Kong and China.

A second bomb was found and deactivated by members of the bomb disposal squad.

The Ratchaprasong intersection was closed off to unauthorized people as EOD officials scoured the crime scene and surrounding areas for suspected bombs and evidences.

However, the BTS skytrain continues to operate as usual.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/at-least-15-killed-in-bomb-blast-near-the-famous-erawan-shrine

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

Does this mean the tourists will stop coming?

The extreme violence on Bangkok streets in 2010 had little impact on tourist numbers and absolutely no impact on the value of the baht.

True, but will have to see how this plays out. Bombs make foreign governments more nervous when it comes to issuing travel advisories

I work in Gaysorn Plaza (5th floor) and walk pass this intersection/shrine twice every day. Today I decided to go in early and left at 5pm, always passing the shrine while I walk to Ratchadamri BTS.....

I called my colleagues that were working late, said they were evacuated shortly after the explosion and were walking in meat....absolutely horrible scene.

RIP to all the victims.

Blood urgently needed at the Thai Red Cross, you may donate 24 hours

Available blood for distribution from the TRC are as follows:

All types of A 597 units

All types of B 2500 units

All types of O 1000 units

All types of AB 218 units

There are a few moments in our lives where we have to make important decisions. If you have kids in BKK, maybe make sure no tourist attractions in the next few weeks or something?

CM is also a fairly big city......

use common sense......

and if something looks specious, go with your gut feeling

and it's never too late to retire somewhere else...

I think if this is an attack that it makes very little sense of any of the usual crowd.

PT doing it at this time would be counter to their agenda.

MIB would just be causing the military to get into more peoples faces.

The only thing I can see would be if it involved a hindu issue as it is a huindu shrine?

Either way there wil be HELL to pay THE GENERAL will not be happy and heads will roll.

As has been said the military is really good at this crap and will be all over it.

Rationalising why, is rather pointless. It could have been done for any 1of 100s of reasons.

Therein lies the problem. Unlike other parts of the world, where you know exactly why (and generally who) does something like this, there are so many more possibilities here. It makes it much harder to track down the culprits when you don't know the exact motive.

RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with their families. So horrible...

Give it some time - only 2 hours have elapsed.

Walking from the office along RamaIV to BTS Saladaeng a bit before eight I saw many police cars (the wagon type) speeding past turning into Ratchathewi. Also a few ambulances. Wondering what happened. When the train turned from Rachathewi to Siam I could see many police cars in front of CentralWorld. Taking a motorcy at Victory Monument the driver told me a bomb, nine dead and 'pokkaty' (i.e. problems).

'pokkaty' means 'normal'. 'pan-haa' means 'problem'

Your 'motorcy' driver is either an extreme cynic, or someone who understands how little impact this will have on people outside the blast zone. It wasn't enough to interrupt the soap operas on TV3, for example.

Archived