Burma Allows 100 Tourists To Cross Back To Thailan

george

I am assuming the people who nipped over the border to do thier 90 day non-b etc (as I did many times) should have been carrying show money: The problem is, living/surviving over there, must have chewed a very large hole in thier 10,000/20,000B show-money. I hope the immigration guys were good enough to take that into consideration when they came back in.

I also feel somewhat sorry for them - not only do day-trippers not carry a change of clothing or bathroom kit, but they couldn't even enjoy local sightseeing during their enforced holiday ... the weather has been unseasonally bad for the past two months: The region as a whole has had particularly heavy rains at night (and for that matter, often during the day too). Parts of Chiang Mai district, Chiang Rai and the Mae Sai areas have seen frequent local flooded.

Couldn't have been much fun for them. But then, travel as opposed to tourist holidays is about the adventure, things not going to plan, the making do and mend. Its why I love living in Thailand.

For them, it will be a memorable trip, for all the right traveller reasons.

Pringle.

Edited by Pringle

It maybe a crassly stated generalization,

but not for off the mark either...

I would NEVER think of crossing a border

without enough cash for 4-7 nights

in at least flophouse hotels,

and food for the same period.

Ideally AMEX and another major card too.

I wouldn't flaunt that cash in public of course.

But the idea I could be sleeping on the sidwalk,

and raiding Burmese trash cans for what food THEY throw out,

for 4-5 days doesn't even become a possible risk for me to take.

When you cross ANY border you are essentially at the mercy of

a.) the country you are in, and it's political whims

b.) the country you want to return too, and IT's political whims. :o

These whims CAN take on a more agressive character here,

than say, USA / Canada...

Edited by animatic

It maybe a crassly stated generalization,

but not for off the mark either...

I would NEVER think of crossing a border

without enough cash for 4-7 nights

in at least flophouse hotels,

and food for the same period.

Ideally AMEX and another major card too.

Yeah sure...AMEX in burma....I crossed the border with burma once, with an Amex and a Visa...but...no atms around. (It wasn't a visa run..i was just curios about burma)

Then...I crossed the border btw Italy/Switzerland around 200 times...tell me one good reason why I should had carried with me enough cash for 4-7 nights...no reasons same as for the Thai-Burma border.

(Ok..if you cross a border in a country which is in state-of-war you might think about it..but thailand for sure doens't need this precautions)

I wouldn't flaunt that cash in public of course.

But the idea I could be sleeping on the sidwalk,

and raiding Burmese trash cans for what food THEY throw out,

for 4-5 days doesn't even become a possible risk for me to take.

When you cross ANY border you are essentially at the mercy of

a.) the country you are in, and it's political whims

b.) the country you want to return too, and IT's political whims. :o

These whims CAN take on a more agressive character here,

than say, USA / Canada...

I think that no-one of the guys crossed the burmese/thai border never thought about this problem as anyone here. I just don't see the reason to carry 10k/bath over the border for a visa run...just give me a relevant reason? When I crossed the border I had my (unusable) credit cards and a couple of bath (maybe 1.5k) but really...no reasons to carry more cash (other then to be robbed).

g.

Edited by giruz

Couldn't have been much fun for them. But then, travel as opposed to tourist holidays is about the adventure, things not going to plan, the making do and mend. Its why I love living in Thailand.

For them, it will be a memorable trip, for all the right traveller reasons.

Pringle.

Love this quote pringle :o

bragging rights to who had the most hellacious trip :D

Other points that have not been brought up are:

The Burmese Immigration collects all passports when crossing that boarder and you are able to collect it with your receipt after shopping etc. If you return to Thai ASAP no receipt required.

You could cross back as a wetback but you would leave your passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you have a Visa you are on a day pass. Any overstay should have a fine.

Some points to ponder if you have limited money.

LLL

Meanwhile.... down at the Mae Sot border:

Burma still closes border following coup

Mae Sot, Tak - Burmese officials still close their border checkpoint opposite Mae Sot, causing trucks of Thai firms carrying sea foods form Burma to Thailand left stranded there since Tuesday.

Krissada Thongthammachart, Mae Sot customs chief, said Burmese officials claimed that they were still awaiting order from their superiors in the Burmese capital to reopen the border pass.

Krissada said the officials declined to reopen the border pass because Thailand closed their checkpoint on Thai side on Tuesday without informing their Burmese counterparts first.

A source claimed that sea foods in the Thai trucks had started to rotten, causing damages worth some Bt50 million.

The Nation

Other border crossings aren't the same as Mae Sai, about that 10K/20K cash requirement. It must have been 18 months ago that the Thai officials posted that in clear English, so it's been common knowledge that you should have a minimum of 10K on you, whilst you're amongst the Burmese. Unless, of course, you got your visa from bonnie Prince Charles himself at his favourite pub in Bournemouth on an odd-numbered, hot, clear Friday.

Word of mouth says that as of today (sunday, sept 24) Ranong is still not an option for Visa runs. Hat Yai here I come!

I talked to the desk at the Andaman club, apparently, the border there just reopened.

Webcams at MaeSai confirm the border being open

My deepest sympathies to the people caught in this unfortunte border closure--and my callous disregard for those "everyone should know...." folks. I've been caught in this same situation in a number of places. When officials close borders, that's it--if you happen to be on the wrong side, tough.

I once came across the Burmese border in the far north, just 15 minutes before it was closed down for a couple of months!! That was when Khun Saa and the Burmese were at it. I just went over to do some shopping. At the time, the Thai authorities kept your passport--as you weren't stamped in or out. Since the Burmese wouldn't let you cross, you couldn't get out of the area and cross somewhere else (no passport). All that on a nice warm, sunny day!