Urgent plea from Samui resident

webfact

Plea urgent from Resident Samui

Samui KOH: - On the 18th of August a local Villa in Bophut was burgled while everyone was sleeping the thieves forced their Way into the Living Room and Making off with the valuables following:

Nikon DSLR Camera
Nikon Small White
Louis. Vitton Bag
1 x Iphone 6 Black
1 x Iphone 5 Black
1 x Iphone 5 White
1 x Iphone 4 White
1 x Ipod blue
1 x Panasononic Video Camera

The Goods are Insured and the Resident is not concerned About this, there is however the only Video. Child's footage of his birth on the SD cards and As such He is offering a reward for the Large Return of the SD card / s. If You have any information please Contact [email protected]. , announced on August 18 at a villa in the pond. pop has stolen the house and stealing, while homeowners slept through the articles below for Camera Nikon DSLR 1 handset camera Nikon white small wallet Louis William Tong 1 IPhone 6 black. 1 Black 1 IPhone 5 IPhone 5 White 1, White IPhone 4 1 blue, 1 x IPod video camera. Panasonic owners do not expect to get the refund. But what I most nights because there is an SD card video, at the birth, and many pictures. And if it comes back, it will be rewarded or if anyone has a clue, or find some of these items, please contact [email protected]

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-08-19

No offence intended but you would think the editor of an English news website would have a better command of the English language than shown above. I have a vague idea of what he is trying to convey but other parts leave me wondering.

For a start a location of where the burglary was committed would maybe help and the list is also very vague. Don't most I Phones these days come with a locator ?

Just a few thoughts here

No offence intended but you would think the editor of an English news website would have a better command of the English language than shown above. I have a vague idea of what he is trying to convey but other parts leave me wondering.

For a start a location of where the burglary was committed would maybe help and the list is also very vague. Don't most I Phones these days come with a locator ?

Just a few thoughts here

No offense intended but ... it simply asks that people contact the editor. not that the editor is the one who was robbed or that it was the editor who composed the plea.

You might have been able to contact the victim directly on his iPhone, but ...

That is immensely difficult to read but I gather that the stolen electrical items are insured & of no concern but there is an SD card in the camcorder which has the only recording of a childs birth & a large reward is offered for it's return.

Just a few thoughts here

No offense intended but ... it simply asks that people contact the editor. not that the editor is the one who was robbed or that it was the editor who composed the plea.

You might have been able to contact the victim directly on his iPhone, but ...

I understood both points already but why as said would an English news website or indeed TV simply repost utter gibberish ?

That is immensely difficult to read but I gather that the stolen electrical items are insured & of no concern but there is an SD card in the camcorder which has the only recording of a childs birth & a large reward is offered for it's return.

I was at the hospital when my daughter was born......In the waiting room.

Some nurse said something about dialation & I had to LEAVE.

I plugged my ears & started singing LALALALA! at the top of my lungs.

I went downstairs & grabbed some coffee. A VIDEO of it all?

I'd thank the thief....and go buy some Android stuff.

I am the resident mentioned in this ad and because of bad translation I agree it does not make sense but I also see no need for the nasty comments. We have guests here which is why there was so many phones and cameras and the most disturbing part is they entered two rooms with young children 9 - 12years old sleeping and took items. The photos/videos are of the first moments my son was born and his first bath, smile etc. I have spent the last 24 hours distraught that this has happened and we have lost something irreplaceable. We have offered a reward of 100000 baht for the return of the items so if there is anyone who can help please do as it will be worth your while. As for anyone who wants to make jokes or nasty comments, save it as we are upset enough and just looking for some help. Thanks and let's hope none of you have to know how this feels!

The Villa is in Bo Put, Samui near Fishermans Village and it happened between 1am and 6 am on the 19th August.

I am the resident mentioned in this ad and because of bad translation I agree it does not make sense but I also see no need for the nasty comments. We have guests here which is why there was so many phones and cameras and the most disturbing part is they entered two rooms with young children 9 - 12years old sleeping and took items. The photos/videos are of the first moments my son was born and his first bath, smile etc. I have spent the last 24 hours distraught that this has happened and we have lost something irreplaceable. We have offered a reward of 100000 baht for the return of the items so if there is anyone who can help please do as it will be worth your while. As for anyone who wants to make jokes or nasty comments, save it as we are upset enough and just looking for some help. Thanks and let's hope none of you have to know how this feels!

The Villa is in Bo Put, Samui near Fishermans Village and it happened between 1am and 6 am on the 19th August.

My apologies.

Best of luck on your search.

Just a few thoughts here

If you look at the original article in the Samui Times you will see that it is in both English and Thai and the poorly worded section is clearly a typically bad Google automatic translation on this web page. Unfair to blame the Editor.

Fey you obviously don't own anything that means much to you?? I would give anything to get the photos back so if I have to give them money which I have and they don't I was hoping it might make someone come forward? To be honest this was posted on here by a friend to get the word out there hoping someone might know something, it's not on here for people to use it as a reason to be nasty, nothing nice to say don't say it but everyone else if you could just mention it to people you know just maybe someone might know something?? Have given number and a poster in Thai explaining the offer to all we could, massage girls on the beach, jet ski boys, taxi drivers, even the workers on the sites near us, have also left a number in pawn shops so can only hope now.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you return something you stole for a reward? Does not make much sense.

Exactly my thoughts. The thief would risk getting caught/identified when the reward money would be paid. I can not imagine how would this be done in real world, and I can imagine someone trying to get the 100,000 baht reward deposited on some secret place without him actually returning/possessing the mentioned SD card.

Edited: PS: Well, one way comes to my mind now, bitcoins, but still you would have to pay first and only then somehow receive the SD card which they might not have at all....

Sometimes it does make sense to backup online, or at least in different physical locations (like a backup SD card in a bank safety box).

Especially as SD card technology is not long term stable and will eventually suffer corruption losing some or all of the contents of the card. They are especially likely to drop the contents of any area that is accesses significantly often for read but not write. So if you are continually viewing a set of photos often, you may lose them for no apparent reason.

With that in mind it is ideal to migrate the data to a more permanent storage medium or multiple locations.

While SD cards are non volatile medium in general usage overal temporally they are especially with continued usage.

Especially as SD card technology is not long term stable and will eventually suffer corruption losing some or all of the contents of the card. They are especially likely to drop the contents of any area that is accesses significantly often for read but not write. So if you are continually viewing a set of photos often, you may lose them for no apparent reason.

This does not make much sense, SSD drives that are used nowadays e.g. in laptops use the same technology, they read the same data every day and no data is lost.

Archived