Alcohol ban postponed

phuketsub

I just heard from the staff at a local minimart that the alcohol sales ban within 300 meters of a university has been postponed until the end of the year.

This is great news as far as I am concerned.

However, the source of my information is the cashier at a minimart located on the university strip here in Khaorupchang Municipality. The ban will not go into effect , as expected, from tomorrow [Aug 20], she said.

I assume part of the reason is the crippling effect it would have had on the tourism industry, especially here in Mueang District.

The ban would have affected numerous establishments along Samila Beach that are within 300 meters of Rajamangala University, not to mention scores of wholesalers (Lee Subsin, Pongsirin@home, 7-Eleven, Thanathip, Lerd Bakery, etc) along Kanchanawanich Rd.

I am not sure if this only applies to this district, the whole province or perhaps even nationwide, but I haven't seen anything about it in the English-language media yet. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted.

burp.gif

My usually unreliable sources told me that many bars in Chiang Mai hand delivered a notification of enforcement of the rule/law/it was a good idea at the time during the week and were told the third or fourth final decision would be known on the twentieth, today.

My usually unreliable sources told me that many bars in Chiang Mai hand delivered a notification of enforcement of the rule/law/it was a good idea at the time during the week and were told the third or fourth final decision would be known on the twentieth, today.

Can someone please tell me is it just a buying alcohol ban or is it a drinking ban as well. If the buying ban is enforced then what is to stop someone taking their own alcohol into a restaurant within 300 meters of a school.

They are reconsidering the 300m rule because it's damaging the economy and at least partly stupid. For example a school here nearby is just 20m behind the mainroad, but the entrance of the school is about 800m away. Otherwise there is a 7eleven, about 500m from the school entrance, but directly at the corner of the street which 90% of the schoolars have to pass on there way to the school.

They are reconsidering the 300m rule because it's damaging the economy and at least partly stupid. For example a school here nearby is just 20m behind the mainroad, but the entrance of the school is about 800m away. Otherwise there is a 7eleven, about 500m from the school entrance, but directly at the corner of the street which 90% of the schoolars have to pass on there way to the school.

Nothing could be simpler than to bring a law in stating that all alcohol purchases should be backed up with an I.D. where the purchaser is old enough to buy alcohol. Or another answer would be to ban alcohol drinking and buying 24hrs a day and I would be moving to another country.

Actually the ID is in "effect" but how effective is it? Just enforce the existing law. In some states in the US, yea, yea I know not same, the bar owner is responsible and can be fined and/or shut down for not checking IDs and it doesn't matter what age. Everyone must have a valid ID. As a bouncer/door man I was also responsible. Yea, the new owner of the bar I worked at got the message quick and did the "under the table" pay off to Alcohol Beverage Control cops post haste. 50 & 60 yr. olds do not like having their ID checked and when we had big name bands many older, i.e. over 30, came. Even the Bandidos did us a favor didn't wear colors and carried ID when there. OK the fact that the chapter sgt. at arms worked the door with a doberman might have had a little something to do with it...lol.

Can someone please tell me is it just a buying alcohol ban or is it a drinking ban as well. If the buying ban is enforced then what is to stop someone taking their own alcohol into a restaurant within 300 meters of a school.

Technically the ban is on selling alcohol, not buying it.

There are no laws banning consumption of alcohol, even by minors.

Theoretically, a brilliant 12-year-old could set up his (or her) own distillery and be smashed all the time and there would be nothing the authorities could do about it. (Mom and Dad would hopefully have different ideas)

However, alcohol is prohibited from school grounds, as is smoking cigarettes.

That said, I know of at least one large university where cigarette smoking is rife and there are ashtrays in every bathroom, including the admin building where the president's office is located and also in the Phys Ed building.

Theoretically, a brilliant 12-year-old could set up his (or her) own distillery and be smashed all the time and there would be nothing the authorities could do about it.

Home brewing and distilling are illegal in Thailand.

Theoretically, a brilliant 12-year-old could set up his (or her) own distillery and be smashed all the time and there would be nothing the authorities could do about it.

Home brewing and distilling are illegal in Thailand.

Distilling is legal, sorry.

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) disagrees with you, as does this expert opinion http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/393027-brewing-and-distilling-at-home/#entry3851270

Actually the ID is in "effect" but how effective is it? Just enforce the existing law. In some states in the US, yea, yea I know not same, the bar owner is responsible and can be fined and/or shut down for not checking IDs and it doesn't matter what age. Everyone must have a valid ID. As a bouncer/door man I was also responsible. Yea, the new owner of the bar I worked at got the message quick and did the "under the table" pay off to Alcohol Beverage Control cops post haste. 50 & 60 yr. olds do not like having their ID checked and when we had big name bands many older, i.e. over 30, came. Even the Bandidos did us a favor didn't wear colors and carried ID when there. OK the fact that the chapter sgt. at arms worked the door with a doberman might have had a little something to do with it...lol.

The Thai state's recent attitude to alcohol is ill-considered and haphazard and my bet is it hasn't reduced alcohol consumption one jot.

The original 'Puritan' was Purachai, Thaksin's Home Minister, who was concerned about kids in Bangkok specifically drinking in Supermarket food courts after school and then starting inter school brawls. The blanket 2-5 ban stems from this. (even my local branch of Villa started enforcing this pathetic law a couple of weeks ago). He also had a more general antipathy towards the demon drink and closed all bars at midnight - no-one really took it seriously and stores did a roaring trade in blackout curtains. Thaksins administration and subsequent ones also saw the fiscal value of increasing the tax on booze dressed up as part of the 'war on alcohol'. ( a bit like 'Green' taxes in Europe).

Then during Abhisit's most recent unelected tenure, in order to kow-tow to the Buddhist establishment, he set up a 'Prime minister's office order' which banned the sale of alcohol on 4 Buddhist holidays (the 3 main Bucha days and Kao Pansa). As far as I know that remains the only legal basis for the prohibition. This has now been extended to several other Buddhist holidays and royal birthdays.

The first few booze bans caught the Thais and resident expats on the hop and there probably was a fall off in consumption, now though, everyone knows when there are likely to be bans and stocks up in advance and plans get-togethers at home.

The only ones who 'suffer; are the tourists who come to Thailand for a couple of weeks of fun and find that on a day or two of that they are required to stay in and watch movies in their hotel rooms as bars and most restaurants are closed. (origninally all booze outlets were required to refrain from selling alcohol, but Abhisit soon tweaked his law to allow his rich friends who own the big hotels were permitted to sell.)

A hotch potch of stupid laws that inconvenience millions - to no discernible affect on alcohol consumption.

Archived