Same Same Did not Work Today

Thomaspaul

Well Ive been in this coutry for over 9 years and when I wamt to buy something always take empty box package or piece off in my hand show the sales person and say same same

We;ll today I took a empty black printer cartrige in to the local co,puter shop in Thoeng showed it to the 2 young sales staff and said same same

Had 2 blank faces and dead silence so repeated myself again dead silence followed by grins so I turned round and walked out. My first failure in over 9 years

Asian 2015 is just round the corner t camt get any worse

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just how hard is it to learn to say Ow mai and point ? whistling.gif

9 years and still not a word of Thai blink.png <deleted>

No to be pedantic but I think you mean me mai.

It just gets funnier by the minute.

Don't be so quick to judge,if you can't get it right lol.

No, in this case he should have said "ow eek kap"

(or as my 4 yo puts it in English, "one more please")

I think both ow mai and me mai are ok ow mai is asking to get it (assuming the store has it) and me mai is asking if they do have it. I am learning thai so i may be wrong also.

Yes of course, you are absolutely wrong. Ow mai would mean 'do you want it?' and mee mai would meam 'do you have it?'

As in ow ik mai ?

Would you like a little more.

Mmm

Same same, lol

Tough crowd here on TV, not the place to come for sympathy, to be sure...Koh jai, mai? tongue.png

Next time...say "Mee, mai, krup" then go looking yourself if you still get blank stares...

Easy even for the simple above question to come out with the wrong damn tonal, and not be understood by a Thai who expects to hear perfectly spoken Thai (tonals).

Reminds me of the time I went to Boots with an empty lozenge package... and went "Mee Mai, Krup"

She directed me OUTSIDE the store, to the toilets, totally mystifying me, in the process... Was there a Lozenge Dispenser machine near the toilet?

I went back to my class, and when I told my student what happened, she explained to me WHY... she figured out that apparently the Boots clerk thought I was asking like... where's the bin, I want to throw this away... thumbsup.gif ) )

Later I returned to Boots, found the darn lozenges myself... When I went to pay for them, she avoided me... guess LOS of face had set in...

Nine years here too, and still... rarely a day can pass without thinking "Amazing Thailand"... gigglem.gif but I'm also rather sure I'll never be able to mimic Thai "logic", no matter how long I live here...tongue.png

You've got to admire a guy who can look around and find someone else to blame for his own shortcomings. This is a classic Chiang Rai topic.

On a more helpful note, next time save the packaging so you have the appropriate part number available or better yet take a picture and store it in your phone.

Should have spoke Thai mate piece of piss then.

9 years to learn same same.

I don't speak Thai by any stretch but at least I learned how to say Muan Gun = the same, not hard to say or remember and very useful. I'd say you have only yourself to blame after this much time, cheers.....

SAME SAME kind of TV topic.

Just posters to criticize the OP and/or other posters.

I replied at the bottom of page 1, am not going to bother with reading next pages/posts.

So we should be commiserating with the OP that after nine years living here, he can't even muster a very basic question in Thai? If a foreigner came to live in your country and acted the same way, what would you have to say to them?

Also, most posters have at least attempted (with varying amounts of accuracy) to teach the OP how to ask the question he needed in this situation, not just criticized him.

As in ow ik mai ?

Would you like a little more.

Mmm

Need to be a bit careful with that one as in certain circles it can be taken to mean would you like another sh*g?

Archived