BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thomaspaul

Same Same Did not Work Today

Aow mai can be mai as in new not a question particle.. like I'd like a new one.... aow mai is even used for say it again or one more time.... there are a million ways to say it....

If you've been here 9 years and believe "it can't get any worse than this" I would guess you don't get out very often. Or you lead a very charmed life. This seems typical day to day stuff. Try going to a shoe store to get some shoe laces....

The last time I bought a replacement ink cartridge, the one I wanted was out of stock. Tried a couple of different shops at the mall but ended up ordering from the help counter in the bigger shop. Placing an order is usually not a big deal.

Low paid staff are seldom able to identify a part just with a cursory glance so you need to have the brand and part number available. Even then, if they have had previous unpleasant experiences dealing with disgruntled foreigners, they may take the path of avoidance and hope you leave before causing a scene.
If there is any problem, repeating a memorized phrase isn’t going to help much when you need to move past the “no have” or “don’t know” phase. Learning how to communicate with in the local language is the only way to go if you want to be treated as an intelligent individual and not someone who grunts and waves his hands around.

Not sure what all you Thai speakers are talking about. If the staff did not understand

what the OP was asking for when he brought an empty ink cartridge into a computer

shop, showed it to them and said "same, same" do you really think they would

understand what a farang speaking Thai was asking for. Not likely. whistling.gif

Sure they would.smile.png There would also be an audible sigh of relief and they would go out of their way to be helpful.

Should have spoke Thai mate piece of piss then.

9 years to learn same same.

Yes, Chengan is easy to say.

Moderators, don't move this thread to the Thai language forum, because they gone have to pick themselves up from the floor after reading the comments from the Thai language experts in this thread.

What?....are you suggesting the "know alls" don't actually know it all?

Thank God I came to realize what was important in life and what wasn't worth bothering about, before I finally pop my clogs....but enjoyable reading all the same.

just mildly curious, do you use the same brilliant statedgy when you order a second beer.......no wonder the staff had smiles

Sure they would.smile.png There would also be an audible sigh of relief and they would go out of their way to be helpful.

yup

Just how hard is it to learn to say Ow mai and point ? whistling.gif

9 years and still not a word of Thai blink.png <deleted>

No to be pedantic but I think you mean me mai.

It just gets funnier by the minute.

Don't be so quick to judge,if you can't get it right lol.

But he did get it right. He's using a different word, ใหม่, meaning new, not the question word ไหม. Then เอาใหม่ means (I) want new. Relying on romanized script with no coding for intonation = flying blind, probably into a short but solid stack of mai's.