France: 2 Americans subdue gunman on high-speed train

Lite Beer

France: 2 Americans subdue gunman on high-speed train
GREG KELLER, Associated Press

PARIS (AP) — A gunman opened fire on a high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris on Friday, wounding two people before two American passengers subdued him, officials said.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, speaking in Arras in northern France where the suspected was detained, said one of the Americans was hospitalized with serious wounds. Their names were not immediately released.

Philippe Lorthiois, an official with the Alliance police union, said on i-Tele that the two Americans were soldiers. In Washington, the Pentagon said it "can only confirm that one U.S. military member was injured in the incident. The injury is not life-threatening."

A White House official told reporters that President Barack Obama was briefed on the shooting, and said, "While the investigation into the attack is in its early stages, it is clear that their heroic actions may have prevented a far worse tragedy."

Contrary to early reports, Lorthiois said the attacker did not fire his automatic weapon but wounded one man with a handgun and the other with a blade of some kind.

The suspect is a 26-year-old Moroccan, according to Sliman Hamzi, an official with the police union Alliance, who spoke on French television i-Tele.

Investigators from France's special anti-terror police are leading the investigation, a spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor's office said.

"As always where an act that could be terrorist in nature is involved, the greatest care and the greatest precision will be used," Cazeneuve said.

Cazeneuve said the two Americans "were particularly courageous and showed great bravery in very difficult circumstances" and that "without their sangfroid we could have been confronted with a terrible drama."

A third person, French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, suffered a minor injury while activating the train's emergency alarm, Lorthiois said.

The attack took place at 1545 GMT while the Thalys train was passing through Belgium, according to a statement from the office President Francois Hollande. Hollande said he's spoken with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel, and the two leaders pledged to cooperate closely on the investigation.

A young woman said on i-Tele that she was in the carriage next to the one which the gunman struck.

"I wouldn't call it a fusillade, because even in the next wagon we didn't hear any shots," said Margaux, who declined to give her last name. She said passengers remained "relatively calm," and some showed no concern until police boarded the train.

Europe's major rail stations, such as Paris' Gare du Nord and Brussels' Gare du Midi, are patrolled by soldiers armed with rifles, but passengers can board most high-speed trains without passing through metal detectors or having their bags searched.

One exception is the Eurostar between Paris and London. Passengers on those trains must pass through a metal detector and have their bags scanned as well.

Thalys is owned by the French and Belgian railways and operates high-speed trains serving Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Cologne, Germany.

French authorities have been on heightened alert since Islamic extremist attacks in January left 20 people dead, including the three attackers.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-22

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the marines just happened to overhear him loading in the locked toilet then jumped him on exit...

Yes ok because thats a sound youd hear on a train perchance every day.

get outa here theres something more to it than heros save the train from a massacre.

It's not clear.....Did the gunman just start shooting randomly, or did he attack the soldiers (and lose, haha som nom na)? That the soldiers were the ones injured suggests the latter.

Your suggestion that it is OK to take a gun on a train to shoot soldiers is despicable.

It's not clear.....Did the gunman just start shooting randomly, or did he attack the soldiers (and lose, haha som nom na)? That the soldiers were the ones injured suggests the latter.

Not enough info right now, but seems he was getting ready to start shooting and the soldiers stopped him, getting wounded in the process. The attacker had a kalashnikov rifle. I would guess that draws a bit of attention when displayed!

"A third person, French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, suffered a minor injury while activating the train's emergency alarm, Lorthiois said."

Funny.

I imagine there is a small glass panel to break to pull the emergency alarm and thus the injury.

"A third person, French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, suffered a minor injury while activating the train's emergency alarm, Lorthiois said."

Funny.

I imagine there is a small glass panel to break to pull the emergency alarm and thus the injury.

Yeah, it was described as a "light hand injury" in an article on CNN.com.

The contrast between the two Americans being wounded while subduing the terrorist gunman while the French guy hurt himself calling for help is what prompted my original post.

According to the article, the gunman opened fire wounding two people before two American passengers subdued him. You get an F in reading comprehension. The answer to your question was the first paragraph.

"A gunman opened fire on a high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris on Friday, wounding two people before two American passengers subdued him, officials said."

Americans coming to the rescue of France again.

Yorktown 1776 the French did the same.

Unfortunately the government of the United States has pushed the multi-culturalism and mass immigration from the Islamic world and Africa that is ruining Europe and made this latest attack possible . The American government has continuously pushed for the inclusion of 90 million Muzz Turks in the EU and NATO bombers made the jihadist conquest of Kosovo a reality. There are many such examples. Of course neither the American or European people are in favor of this but we have an elite class which is. Obozo is now flooding the USA with Muzz immigrants as well. The "Camp of the Saints" is a reality in all of the Western world.

Semper Fi USMC for your herorism on this train. The French sites I am following all speak of your courage and of their gratitude; as well as their frustration with France's multicultural nightmare.

Looks like the two Marines worked him over a bit.

I echo Simple1's praise of the men who stopped this waste of space.

Epic "Jihad Fail" as he was armed to the teeth.

Overpowered by bare hands it seems, unless I've missed something.

Predictability there will be - "Wait until evidence. We don't know"

Fair enough, but for now my guess is an "IS inspired" loser.

The BBC claim the following.....

French media said the arrested man was known to the intelligence services

More of us than we realise, may be 'known' to intelligence services....

But I think it is safe to be confident what motivated this man.

Stop it. It's not funny, nor historically accurate and insults the British and Canadian forces who suffered heavy casualties in the Normandy invasion. Operation Overlord saw the active participation of the Belgian, French and Dutch forces.

The US marines were in the right place at the right time. Had British or Dutch or German military personnel been present they would have done similar. As the Charlie Hebdo massacre and the Sydney murders demonstrated, there are civilians who can also be counted upon to sacrifice themselves to protect others. Doing the right thing is not exclusive to the USA. These chaps are to be praised for their quick thinking, and for doing the right thing. That's it.

Funny.

He was not in close proximity to the shooter. He did the right thing. There is no need to ridicule the man. The sooner the alarm was raised and the train stopped, the safer all passengers were.

Your suggestion that it is OK to take a gun on a train to shoot soldiers is despicable.

Wow!!! Just WOW! Where do you draw that from???? Even with the most <deleted>-tinted glasses, it beggars belief that you can find any sort of suggestion in MY QUESTION about who the gunman attacked.

According to the article, the gunman opened fire wounding two people before two American passengers subdued him. You get an F in reading comprehension. The answer to your question was the first paragraph.

"A gunman opened fire on a high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris on Friday, wounding two people before two American passengers subdued him, officials said."

" one of the Americans was hospitalized with serious wound", plus "two people were wounded"...ie, One of the soldiers was one of the wounded.

I don't accept reading comprehension grades from someone with no ability in that area.

Yorktown 1776 the French did the same.

Unfortunately the government of the United States has pushed the multi-culturalism and mass immigration from the Islamic world and Africa that is ruining Europe and made this latest attack possible . The American government has continuously pushed for the inclusion of 90 million Muzz Turks in the EU and NATO bombers made the jihadist conquest of Kosovo a reality. There are many such examples. Of course neither the American or European people are in favor of this but we have an elite class which is. Obozo is now flooding the USA with Muzz immigrants as well. The "Camp of the Saints" is a reality in all of the Western world.

Semper Fi USMC for your herorism on this train. The French sites I am following all speak of your courage and of their gratitude; as well as their frustration with France's multicultural nightmare.

What a stretch to blame the US for the multicultural situation in the EU. Every sovereign country has the right to decide who it will or will not accept. One of the main groups who pushed for more positive attitudes toward immigrants was the UNHCR, which is centered in Geneva, Switzerland and is mostly dominated by Europeans and people from smaller countries. The UNHCR made significant efforts to get refugees resettled.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to insinuate that a Moroccan in Europe is somehow because of US immigration policies.

Wow!!! Just WOW! Where do you draw that from???? Even with the most <deleted>-tinted glasses, it beggars belief that you can find any sort of suggestion in MY QUESTION about who the gunman attacked.

My apologies if that is not what you meant.

Archived