France: 2 Americans subdue gunman on high-speed train

Lite Beer

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must really chap the Euros collective (pun intended) assses that Americans had to come to their rescue again.

I heard on CNN that the French train staff fled the car and locked the door behind them. They then refused to unlock it and let anybody else escape, including the French actor and family, which is how he was described as hurting himself, trying to break through the glass. But then again, this was on CNN. You never can be sure about what they say.

It must really chap the Euros collective (pun intended) assses that Americans had to come to their rescue again.

I heard on CNN that the French train staff fled the car and locked the door behind them. They then refused to unlock it and let anybody else escape, including the French actor and family, which is how he was described as hurting himself, trying to break through the glass. But then again, this was on CNN. You never can be sure about what they say.

CNN wouldn't report it unless it was at least partially verified. I did see this, but don't know the credibility of this media site:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2015/08/23/train-crew-flee-american-tourists-become-heroes/

other reports claim that a few rail staff helped some members of the public to a cabin then locked the door for their and the passengers protection

After the last several Terrorists attacks in France ... I am mystified as to why there are not armed security on every train ... This one incident - a train stopped for hours if not a half or full day, plus passengers shook up and public relations damage about being unsafe - will cost the train system enough money to pay armed Train Marshals to ride the trains for months ... One avoided incident would pay for the costs for many months of protection. But it is not Politically Correct to make a show of force.

JUST IN ... on France24.com TV

I watched The President of France who just awarded the Four men - the three Americans and the older Brit - the French LEGION OF HONOR... the highest award that France can give a Military or Civilian person ...

WOW! just WOW!

After the last several Terrorists attacks in France ... I am mystified as to why there are not armed security on every train ... This one incident - a train stopped for hours if not a half or full day, plus passengers shook up and public relations damage about being unsafe - will cost the train system enough money to pay armed Train Marshals to ride the trains for months ... One avoided incident would pay for the costs for many months of protection. But it is not Politically Correct to make a show of force.

Absolutely!

Let's arm everyone and give them those little silver sheriff badges as well!

Yes, this was an appalling event but let's have some balance here.

A more relevant response would be an investigation into how this Western Oriental Gentlemen was able to escape the clutches of the security forces in the first place.

10% of the French population is of North Africa origin - this might require a little thought don't you think?

Absolutely!

A more relevant response would be an investigation into how this Western Oriental Gentlemen was able to escape the clutches of the security forces in the first place.

10% of the French population is of North Africa origin - this might require a little thought don't you think?

Kind of a no brainer,security forces or secret service don't have enough resources or manpower to watch people 24/7 duh.....

Absolutely!

Kind of a no brainer,security forces or secret service don't have enough resources or manpower to watch people 24/7 duh.....
Which of course begs the question how did we get into this mess in the first place?

Absolutely!

Which of course begs the question how did we get into this mess in the first place?
Mostly American and other countrys foreign policy towards the middle east.

Absolutely!

Your remarks are that of a disengaged putz ... I think you are the one with no thought... Your attempt at being humorous or expressing satire fell FLAT...

Armed security Marshals would be a show of actual force to deter anyone who wants to start trouble... Have you ever heard of ARMED BANK GUARDS? My suggestion has NOTHING to do with screening or profiling anyone -- not looking to arrest 10% of the French population ... Rather it has to do with being an Armed Deterrent. It wouldn't matter it the terrorist was a member of ISIS or a member of the Baader Meinhof Gang - the intent would be to make the Train a Hard Target. But making ignorant remarks seems to be the norm for some on TVF...

It seems that "putz" is a "worthless, no good person some language called "Yiddish" . Sounds Jewish me !

I was just offering an opinion. More guns does not necessarily offer more protection

Calm down....

In your nearsighted world ...

It seems that "putz" is a "worthless, no good person some language called "Yiddish" . Sounds Jewish me !

I was just offering an opinion. More guns does not necessarily offer more protection

Calm down....

Good night, everybody!

Some posts suggest armed French police travel on trains to reduce the terror effect. I would suggest that they stop monitoring jihadists and arrest them. The police and soldiers of France have once again allowed their country to be invaded. Once again they offer no resistance. Soon they will once again ask for assistance to clear the country of threat. Yes the rest of Europe will once again have to come to your assistance. This time it was a group of Yanks and a Brit. French countrymen (men?) cowered. When will the French grow taddies?

French countrymen (men?) cowered. When will the French grow taddies?[/font]

Read an article today saying a French guy was the first to tackle the Moroccan. Nobody knows who it was though (and it may benefit his future safety to have slipped away quietly). Don't have time to search again, but one thing to consider is just how dulled people's awareness of surroundings tends to be on public transport such as metros and trains, especially now where it is possible for people to exist in their own little mp3 or smartphone world from point A to point Z. I see it all the time, especially in Asia. Whenever I get on board, I take a look at everyone in my immediate vicinity, the body language, etc. In my case, this is anti pick pocket measures. For one of those Americans I believe he'd not long ago been in Afghanistan? If so, he isn't wandering around in a dull fog but still watching (even if at a much reduced level) things and noticing if something is developing just by someone not acting quite right in his vicinity.

It is this we need. Less of this - "f***k the world. WhatsUp time" fog.

Calm down....

I've been thinking about this a lot and wondering... I talk to guys who are native Europeans and they seem to satisfied to let their governments protect them. The Americans I know aren't. Thus the gun culture, or at least one reason for it.

Maybe I've said enough, but I can see red blooded American guys just doing something like this out of instinct. One guy was barely waking up yet he went from that to 100% effort by instinct, apparently. I'm really not surprised. At all.

RE: Stopping the French Train Terrorist

Aside from the man identified below... Chris Normal, the British Businessman who helped the three Americans, said in an interview that another man - a Frenchman - an off duty train driver also assisted in the take down of the Terrorist. Now and additional hero has been identified... This man described as a Franko-American on French TV was the first to encounter the Terrorist and was shot in the process. As it turns out this shot and perhaps others is what alerted the three Americans and the Brit to make their initial counter attack to subdue the Terrorist.

A New hero identified

Mark Moogalian, 51, a French-American who describes himself on his website as an author, teacher and musician, encountered the gunman before the Americans, tried to wrestle a rifle from him and was shot in the neck, his wife, Isabelle Risacher, told France's Europe 1 radio. Moogalian remains hospitalized in stable condition and will receive the Legion of Honor later.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/24/europe/france-train-shooting/

Absolutely!

Your remarks are that of a disengaged putz ... I think you are the one with no thought... Your attempt at being humorous or expressing satire fell FLAT...

Armed security Marshals would be a show of actual force to deter anyone who wants to start trouble... Have you ever heard of ARMED BANK GUARDS? My suggestion has NOTHING to do with screening or profiling anyone -- not looking to arrest 10% of the French population ... Rather it has to do with being an Armed Deterrent. It wouldn't matter it the terrorist was a member of ISIS or a member of the Baader Meinhof Gang - the intent would be to make the Train a Hard Target. But making ignorant remarks seems to be the norm for some on TVF...

I was delighted to learn today on French TV that one new security item that the French were considering after this attempted train terrorism... The French Government is now considering the use of armed Train Marshals ... and YES they used the term.

Islam Jihadists have totally invaded France. Other European countries also are subject to Muslim terror. And the "good" Islamist parents. It appears that the children of these economic refugees soon take up the Jihadist cause because they either cannot assimilate or because of low IQ. Western requirements even prevent these from a job more than a toilet cleaner. (no offence to toilet cleaners). Then we have our governments who do their best to placate economic invaders. Do you not understand that we are being over run. I would love to live in Japan, but they don't let outsiders in. Just ship them back, they should have countries that support them or if they don't let them fight for their rights. These are free loaders that demand that we totally provide for them. What an imposition on any countries welcome.

Oh yes, lets have French Marshalls armed with large white handkerchiefs to deter them. Maybe very bright white gloves. This is the country that welcomed in terrorists and you suggest they have any desire to forcefully engage them. They are only good at handing out very cheap medals.

The French at one time produced the French Foreign Legion ... France can produce tough men to guard the public. It is the policies that have nearly destroyed the concept of self-defense in the minds of the officials. I watched the 'man in the street' interviews relative to the brave men who unarmed - charged in and disarmed and subdued the heavily armed train terrorist ... The French people in the news videos were smiling broadly, extremely cheerful and grateful ... some seemed to be on the verge of dancing in the street. Hopefully this incident will be a part of an awakening and the French people will begin to demand real protection... I can foresee armed guards on French trains - especially those train runs that begin in another country... The times just may be changing ...

Archived