Is Buddhism a religion?

Om85

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said.

This is the best way.

If it turns out that the goal was self improvement, would you still devote a life to dedicated practice, living an ascetic life devoid of any possession other than your robe and bowl, and remove yourself from the consumer world completely?

Well said.

This is the best way.

If it turns out that the goal was self improvement, would you still devote a life to dedicated practice, living an ascetic life devoid of any possession other than your robe and bowl, and remove yourself from the consumer world completely?

I guess that depends on how you define 'self improvement', Rocky? Isn't the term 'self' rather problematic in Buddhism?
I believe you were once a monk in Thailand. Why did you disrobe? (I'm assuming you have disrobed, so apologies if I've got that wrong.)
Speaking for myself, my interest in Buddhism is related to a certain fascination with the concept that one can achieve satisfaction, equanimity and even joy, without lifting a finger. Perhaps at a subconscious level this appeals to my innate sense of laziness. wink.png

Well said.

This is the best way.

if I defined that life as an improvement, then yes

Of course not, science will not waste any money or effort for it. Common sense and logic already disproved it. No need science for it. You don't hear science exposing scams or crimes, do you ?

it has not been proven. and yes science does expose scams and crimes. thats what is called forensic science
Because there is a need, a useful need for it. In the case of a creator god that created humans from mud and other related claims, logic already tell you it's false, so why need science to disprove it ?

because your perceived logic does not prove it.
Be honest in a Buddhism forum.

How does logic proved Christianity God is true and humans are made from mud and evolution ? And why did this Creator created so many different religions ? Or why today there are different languages and race ?

Stay honest, believe in karma. Prayers alone don't erase sin.

Well said.

This is the best way.

I guess that depends on how you define 'self improvement', Rocky? Isn't the term 'self' rather problematic in Buddhism?

I believe you were once a monk in Thailand. Why did you disrobe? (I'm assuming you have disrobed, so apologies if I've got that wrong.)

Speaking for myself, my interest in Buddhism is related to a certain fascination with the concept that one can achieve satisfaction, equanimity and even joy, without lifting a finger. Perhaps at a subconscious level this appeals to my innate sense of laziness. wink.png

Ignorance is the key reason.

Some people believed in Buddhism blindly without understanding and leave later thinking Buddhism cannot help them through prayers. The other way, some people believed in Christianity blindly, cannot achieve from their prayers and also leave finally.

My uncle was a Christian planning to be a pastor until he got awaken one day and realised all his mistake. Now he is happily a Buddhist.

Then what is Buddhism?

What is the purpose of a Monk?

What is the goal?

You mean all this while you don't know ?

Buddhism is a way of living with full understanding of life, without following any belief blindly, taught by the Buddha. It helps a person to achieve heavenly bliss, in the present life, not after death as in most other religions.

It also taught compassion and wisdom which other religions don't.

A monk's goal is also to achieve nirvana and also set an example and to teach others.

Then what is Buddhism?

What is the goal?

Buddhism is a way of living with full understanding of life, without following any belief blindly, taught by the Buddha. It helps a person to achieve heavenly bliss, in the present life, not after death as in most other religions.

A monk's goal is also to achieve nirvana and also set an example and to teach others.

other religions dont teach compassion?? lol

Then what is Buddhism?

What is the goal?

So you agree other religions don't teach wisdom. Lol.

Do you understand why they don't teach wisdom ? Keeping people ignorant is the best way to control them.

When did they teach compassion ? Both holy books advocates killings and violence, you can't deny it. Only Buddhism teachings encourage true compassion, no killings at all.

Then what is Buddhism?

What is the goal?

Do you understand why they don't teach wisdom ? Keeping people ignorant is the best way to control them.

When did they teach compassion ? Both holy books advocates killings and violence, you can't deny it. Only Buddhism teachings encourage true compassion, no killings at all.

jesus christ did not write the old testament and he certainly did not advocate killing and as for teaching wisdom? of course he did. no religion asks its adherents to act unwisely.

Then what is Buddhism?

What is the goal?

jesus christ did not write the old testament and he certainly did not advocate killing and as for teaching wisdom? of course he did. no religion asks its adherents to act unwisely.

Oh,no need to preach for him. We all know he used Buddhism knowledge trying to betray his original religion, got caught and punished.

Then what is Buddhism?

What is the goal?

Oh,no need to preach for him. We all know he used Buddhism knowledge trying to betray his original religion, got caught and punished.

you arent making any sense now

Why not? The Buddha said don't simply believe,. Just compare both Jesus and Buddha stories, read up history and compare. The Turin shroud is confirmed fake by scientists and his resurrection also confirmed a fraud from words of 3 Gospels. See the documentary film by BBC

Why not? The Buddha said don't simply believe,. Just compare both Jesus and Buddha stories, read up history and compare. The Turin shroud is confirmed fake by scientists and his resurrection also confirmed a fraud from words of 3 Gospels. See the documentary film by BBC

I have no need to debunk christianity. It has no significance for me. I am satisfied with my own path. I find your need to attack other religions curious.

I love the ChristiAns as equal as all as all people. I am more curious with your presence. This is a Buddhism forum.

then obviously you have decided that you know what my beliefs are. lol! well youre welcome to your presumptions. I don't involve myself in that game.

I m not a religious person. I am the religion. we are all religion.

like living with few things. this is something I aspired since I was kid and it bring me peace everyday.

simple things in life for me is very hard to achieve for most human beings.

all my friends can not reach the level I have reached. they all want house and cars (the American dream) and are still looking for happiness through materialism, wife, gadgets, food, status...

people have been blinded by this world of consumerism and advertisings. some think that spending a lot of money is living a life full of joy but I can see they are not happy as they still looking for happiness in the wrong way.

go live 12 months in a cave and you will discover happiness but it s not certain you will because it s something from inside you and not from outside coming to you.

this is what religion is for, helping you to find happiness for your next life until all your ego is vanished. then you will float in the real world forever with no need. why do you need things anyway outside of basic needs?

Well said.

This is the best way.

Hi V.

No, was never a Monk.

Earlier I was suggesting that if it's only about "self improvement", then identifying as a Buddhist with all its regalia seems over the top.

For example, if eating well, exercising, and practicing yoga leads to self improvement, would you set up a movement and label yourself as a Somethingist?

The same with Buddhism.

If I act ethically, be compassionate, practice Concentration to improve my calm and poise, practice Mindfulness so that I can pull myself back from over reaction, then aren't these skills/practices universal?

Why should I then label myself as a Buddhist?

or

Why should I don a costume, give up all my possessions and become a full time ascetic?

There are many who practice self improvement.

What does Buddhism offer which "self improvement " doesn't?

You don't have to be a Buddhist or relate to Buddhism to experience satisfaction, equanimity and not.

There were many doing this before the Buddha.

The Buddha taught that they stopped short of Awakening.

The abandonment of Self.

Well said.

This is the best way.

Hi V.

No, was never a Monk.

But you've spent some time at a retreat in Thailand, haven't you?

Why should I don a costume, give up all my possessions and become a full time ascetic?

I don't think the costume is important, but the experience of being a full time ascetic, living alone in a cave for 12 years, might be invaluable. You might become a world-wide celebrity. wink.png
Have you seen this video of Tenzin Palmo's experiences in a cave. It's quite remarkable that she claims she was not lonely at all. It's quite a long video.

Hi A J.

I hope you don't take me the wrong way.

I like a good debate and enjoy reading your responses.

The brevity of the last one left me not understanding.

Could you elaborate about your definition of improved life?

I meant if I felt the life of a monk was an improvement over the life of a layman

Archived