British man arrested for raping UK woman in Cambodia is cleared by CCTV

geovalin

British man arrested for raping UK woman in Cambodia is cleared by CCTV

A British man arrested for the alleged violent rape of a young English backpacker walked free from a Cambodian court today after prosecutors were shown 'overwhelming evidence' of his innocence.
Nick Laycock, from Slough, spent two days locked in a grim prison cell in the Cambodian town of Kampot after he was arrested at a guest house where he has been working for the past six months.
The 25-year-old was held based on statements from the woman he was said to have raped and two young female witnesses.
Speaking exclusively to MailOnline after his release, Mr Laycock said: 'I'm greatly relieved – I said all along that I was innocent.'
2B9A240000000578-3207718-image-a-12_1440
I said all along I was innocent': Nick Laycock (pictured after his arrest) has been cleared of raping an English backpacker in Camobodia after prosecutors were shown 'overwhelming evidence' of his innocence
Mr Laycock was arrested after the 22-year-old British backpacker he was accused of raping went to a local hospital in Kampot with two friends where they told doctors that they 'believed' the young woman had been raped.
This was because she had been seen walking towards the nearby river during the evening with Mr Laycock – but when she returned to the bar later she had a serious injury to her wrist as well as back injuries.
Two women she had been drinking with asked her what had happened and from what she told them they believed she had been raped – and attacked so violently that she had sustained injuries.
After all three women made statements to the police, Mr Laycock was arrested on Sunday.
But then the owner of the Arcadia guest house, Mr Joel Miles, alarmed that a guest had allegedly been raped by a staff member, carried out his own inquiries.
His first step was to study CCTV footage – and, he told the Mail today, there was no evidence of the young woman being raped.
'They were seen walking along hand in hand and although they did have sex it was consensual,' said Mr Miles.
According to Mr Miles, the 'victim' had been drinking and after having consensual sex beside the river with Mr Laycock, she fell as she was walking behind him on their way back to the bar.
'That was when she sustained her injuries,' he said.
Dazed from her fall and confused about what had actually happened, it is understood the young woman tried to withdraw her statement in which she said she had been raped.
But the police declined to allow her to recant it.
When he arrived at the Kampot court today, Mr Laycock was told that after prosecutors had studied all the evidence, including CCTV footage, they had decided not to press charges.
If the case had proceeded and he had been found guilty of rape, he would have faced many years in a rat-infested prison.
A relieved Mr Laycock was allowed to return to the Arcadia lodge where other tourists congratulated him on his freedom.
'It was a traumatic experience,' he told them. 'I didn't know what was going to happen to me. A small misunderstanding and it resulted in me going to jail. Two days was bad enough.'
Now staff at the Arcadia have promised him they will work hard at restoring his reputation as a 'good straight up guy.'
Mr Miles told MailOnline that he was furious with the British Embassy who he claimed had offered no support to either the young woman or Mr Laycock.
'They have said they were offering assistance, but Nick didn't see any,' said Mr Miles.

Jail her, put her in jail.

All sounds a bit dodgy ,bwtf, this is Cambodia, cctv coverage of them having sex by the river?? anyway, sounds like a conspiracy with these 3 women,

Charge em with wasting police time which is a joke as the cops there are a waste of time.

Indeed the fairer sex receive their fair share of abuse in this world, but it is scary that some can cry wolf and the man is automatically guilty. Before coming to Cambodia I lived in the Philippines. Accusations of rape as a scam were common then, 10 years ago, so much so that if I was going to get into an elevator and it arrived with a single female, or even a group of females inside, I would let it go. Thankfully none of that nonsense here in Cambodia.

Paranoid? I worked in a hotel where one of my employees accused the GM of rape, and I was the one that had to tell him it would hit the newspapers that day. Not an experience I would ever like to repeat.

Lucky for him that his boss is a good man, and that this happened in a place where the cctv cameras actually have insides that work.

The boss may be a good man but not too smart if he allows and and or condones his staff to have sex with the guests.

There is an old "if you are screwing your guests you are screwing up your business"

I was in a hotel recently and the maid came in to clean while i was on the computer. I quickly exhited the room and made sure stayed away untill she was finished and left.

I don't know what your paranoia is based on - I have yet to hear about a Cambodian maid falsely accusing anyone of rape let alone a foreigner. In this case, the accuser was a foreign female.

she tried to retract her rape accuasation. Possibly had been drunk and dazed from the fall and her friends assumed rape, so she tried to clear it up and retract the allegation. The Police refused to listen!!!

Just wondering as if she said it was not rape etc etc surely the police should have listened to the sober, undazed facts she presented a bit later!

Maybe before sex , making a video of the woman , explicitly stating that it is concensual. Or signing a document stating consensuality.

Don't forget drugs and alcohol levels test and a doctors written statement ........ you need 'informed consent' these days.

Maybe before sex , making a video of the woman , explicitly stating that it is concensual. Or signing a document stating consensuality.

Don't forget drugs and alcohol levels test and a doctors written statement ........ you need 'informed consent' these days.

If I could have only approached sober women when I was a teenager, I would have been a virgin at 20!

she tried to retract her rape accuasation. Possibly had been drunk and dazed from the fall and her friends assumed rape, so she tried to clear it up and retract the allegation. The Police refused to listen!!!

Just wondering as if she said it was not rape etc etc surely the police should have listened to the sober, undazed facts she presented a bit later!

Agree...sounds like she was thoroughly drunk. Her friends (probably not too sober themselves) saw that she came back with bruises, asked why and she really couldn't remember/explain, then they jumped to conclusions. Still, stupid to go to the police in such a situation. But sounds like no one involved was thinking clearly.

The Cambodian police concerned had probably never before encountered an "I think I may have been raped but I really can't remember because I was so drunk" type story. Not something a local would be likely to come in with.

Why?

"Dazed from her fall and confused about what had actually happened, it is understood the young woman tried to withdraw her statement in which she said she had been raped....But the police declined to allow her to recant it."

Jail the police.

Why?

"Dazed from her fall and confused about what had actually happened, it is understood the young woman tried to withdraw her statement in which she said she had been raped....But the police declined to allow her to recant it."

Jail the police.

False accusations of rape are usually vindictive rather than mistaken.

I'm betting she only tried to withdraw her accusation after the video footage was revealed.

Same as the Australian girl in Thailand last year, caught out on video.

If someone were to borrow money from you when you were drunk, could you mistakenly think you were mugged?

That just sounds plain silly!

I've said before, unless there is compelling evidence to back up an oral claim of rape, the name of the accused should be withheld. And, yes, consideration should be given to prosecuting the women involved. As for the British Embassy; if they didn't provide any assistance, no surprise there.

Lucky for him that his boss is a good man, and that this happened in a place where the cctv cameras actually have insides that work.

The boss may be a good man but not too smart if he allows and and or condones his staff to have sex with the guests.

There is an old "if you are screwing your guests you are screwing up your business"

Yeah that'll work!! Sorry love my boss says I cant sh@g you.

Both adults can do as they please, and probably will

Archived