Thai Smile plane hits gangway in Chiang Mai airport

webfact

How on earth does an airliner approaching a gateway, moving about 2 miles an hour skid????

More attention needs to be paid to whoever writes these things to better clarify or stop writing absolute BS. Say what really happened ....... someone did make an error........ either the guy with the flags , guiding the plane in or the pilot or most probably both...... but NO ! ! ! lets don't loose face...... the plane barely moving.... skidded.... what a bunch of crapola....

That would be my question also... Somehow it just seems to get worse, all of the time. I hope the LOS gets it, instead of keeping face. Just how qualified was the pilot? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of what happened it will still be a quick turnaround. Passengers offloaded. New passengers loaded. Same docking person in control and same pilot and after a quick visual check for damage off they go into the blue horizons with fingers crossed. It could only happen in Thailand. I shudder and pray every time I catch a domestic flight.

I pray every time my wife flies to Thailand, I do not fly their anymore, and that is International and domestic. blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

How on earth does an airliner approaching a gateway, moving about 2 miles an hour skid????

More attention needs to be paid to whoever writes these things to better clarify or stop writing absolute BS. Say what really happened ....... someone did make an error........ either the guy with the flags , guiding the plane in or the pilot or most probably both...... but NO ! ! ! lets don't loose face...... the plane barely moving.... skidded.... what a bunch of crapola....

Stopping 70 tons is not quite the same as stopping your car. smile.png

Definitely not, but at the speed you would be traveling at approx. 5 metres from full stop and wheels barely turning over,

a chock shoved under the wheel would have done it.

Skid? Slid? Banana peels on the airport apron?

The THAI pilots are often (usually) recruited through connections in the RTAF ie ex Air Force pilots.

They are not recruited for their skills, but to be fair, they do have SKID practice while they are still in the Air Force. They practise on F-16s or similar, but the theory is the same. Most importantly it is never their fault. The equipment is always to blame.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/835551-jet-fighter-skids-off-runway-in-korat/

I have read that international airliens no longer accept Thai standards of flight training.

it would be wise for govenrments everywhere to avoid letting Thai citizens loose on their roads opr in their airspace

I am fairly certain there was no rain at the airport this morning, and at the speeds a plane taxis there is no conceivable way it could just skid.

It must have been a pretty serious lack of concentration, perhaps the pilot was playing on his mobile phone at the time !

Now that sounds more like it: Pilot playing with his mobile phone.

whatever ????

By the way, are all pilots Thai nationals in all Thai airlines?

(I've seen a couple of foreign looking pilots)

Just wondering how the TV Air Disaster Investigation Team found the nationality of the pilot.

Believe it or not I have skided in an airplane going about 2 knots. It was in Burnswick Naval Air Station and we were on ice. Had to shut the plane down and get a tow. Dont think they have that much ice in Chiang Mei.

Dude, yea, Brunswick , Maine, USA, hell yes but here. And you were in a P-3. The speed yes, I'm 747-8 taxi qual and never over 6-8 knots taxiing.

I'm not so worried about if the passengers were injured or not. More worried about what sort of maintenance that plane will get , a small crack can be a big problem up in the air. No Thai smiles will solve that .

The aircraft is back in service. I saw it fly over my house last night. One thing is clear from this accident, Thai Smile is exactly the same as every other airline on the planet. They have had accidents with ground vehicles and equipment. Happens everywhere to every airline mostly never get reported in the press though.

What aircraft parking guidance system do they have at CNX?

Safedock A-VDGS. T2-18

That's what I imagined as they have it at HKT. So if the PF had the aircraft lined up correctly then surely the airbridge must have been in the wrong place.... but they also have a guidance system indicating the correct position for the aircraft type.

Being a pilot I never heard of a plane skidding whilst taxiing, could happen if going at speed ie too fast, he'll there would be no ice to blame, but of course no blame no way no how on the airline after all it's Thai.

Archived