Elephant camps in Chiang rai

wellred

Hi all was wondering if anyone knows of any elephant camps in Chiang rai? I'm looking for something on par with Pattara in Chiang Mai. One where you get to spend a day taking care of one and can ride one without the chair. Not looking for a standard elephant show type place thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the park allows you to ride the elephant, then it's been broken and abused. And something I didn't know until recently, it's really bad for their backs. Plus, there's the safety issue. I'd hate to think of how many news reports I've read about tourists being injured...or killed...while riding or being around these magnificent and wild animals. If you want to visit an elephant park, the one listed here is probably the best:

http://expertvagabond.com/elephants-in-thailand/

http://journals.worldnomads.com/responsible-travel/story/81053/Thailand/Why-Elephant-Riding-Should-Be-Removed-from-Your-Bucket-List

Elephant Health

Their spines cannot support the weight of people. Carrying people on their backs all day can lead to permanent spinal injuries. Imagine carrying a 50 pound backpack for nine hours a day, every day on your back. Even after an hour or so, you can feel the weight of the backpack. Imagine what it would feel like to have it on your back nearly all of your waking hours. And, the long-term damage that can come from having it on your back all day. It’s the same with elephants.

Not only is there the issue of their spines not being made to carry people, but the actual implications from having the chair or Howdah attached to their backs. The contraption rubs on the back, causing blisters that can get infected. In addition, there’s the wear and tear on the elephant’s feet. Long-term trekking can cause foot infections and injuries.

Thanks for that info. Ok so maybe putting a ride out of the question I'm looking for a place where you can spend a day with one where they let you feed and bathe it ect. Get some pics and videos and I'm out...

Was looking online last night and that Antara looks ok. There is also another Ruammit which has decent reviews on TR. Need to do some more research I think.

Thanks for that info. Ok so maybe putting a ride out of the question I'm looking for a place where you can spend a day with one where they let you feed and bathe it ect.

I wouldn't rule out your ride providing you find an ethical place where you ride on the mahout style. Those chair contraptions are a disgrace. It's easy to take the high moral ground on this issue but it's a fact that these animals have been broken in. What's is important is how the "rescued" ones are treated.

Thanks for that info. Ok so maybe putting a ride out of the question I'm looking for a place where you can spend a day with one where they let you feed and bathe it ect. Get some pics and videos and I'm out...

Was looking online last night and that Antara looks ok. There is also another Ruammit which has decent reviews on TR. Need to do some more research I think.

OK it's not Chiang Rai, but the Surin Project is very worthwhile.

http://www.surinproject.org/home.html

post-192685-0-29088800-1440755437_thumb.

After visiting an elephant rehabilitation centre near Kandi in Sri Lanka, I was never tempted to visit one again. Besides seeing elephants with legs blown off by mines, I was mildly lectured by some of the staff there. Please send your money for us to continue our work. Don't ride elephants. Sure you can wash these wild mistreated beasts, at your own risk. We need a sanctuary for them, and minimum contact with humans. We are not a circus. The same in Thailand. They need sanctuary, not you riding on them. Same with tigers, the small deer and the like. Not trying to preach. Trying to preserve.

Thanks for that info. Ok so maybe putting a ride out of the question I'm looking for a place where you can spend a day with one where they let you feed and bathe it ect.

I wouldn't rule out your ride providing you find an ethical place where you ride on the mahout style. Those chair contraptions are a disgrace. It's easy to take the high moral ground on this issue but it's a fact that these animals have been broken in. What's is important is how the "rescued" ones are treated.

The problem is, you go for rides, it creates demand, they go into the jungle and get more babies. Which are abused so you can ride them. And the circle continues.

Ruammit is a simple ride the elephants around a route place.

Elephants are abused and beaten to follow the route,

elephants are chained up until it's time to walk the route.

Why do tourists do this <deleted>?

Nobody in this day and age should be going to these elephant camps. They should all be shut down even the ones that claim to be ethical, who incidentally charge several times as much as the circus style ones. The place for elephants is in the wild. If you want to see them keep your distance ina place like Khao Yai National Park. As already mentioned, going to elephant camps merely continues a vicious circle of abuse of a lovely creature.

One use to be able to take the long-tail boat from Chiang Rai up the Kok river to the Karen village of Ruammit, where they have had an elephant camp for as long as I have been hanging around the country (35 years). I believe there is now an all-weather road as well.

This is the place I would recommend you go to and support by your visit. It does a wonderful job rescuing and caring for elephants.

http://www.elephantnaturefoundationuk.org/elephant-nature-foundation/about-the-founder/

The OP asked about Chiang Rai. But yes this operation is a good and ethical one. We have known Lek for many years, since before she started the place. But you can't ride any more far as I know. Since many of the animals have been there a long time and some babies have been born the females have become very proctective. Park visitors are mostly kept at a safe distance. Have not been for a few years now. But that will be remedied in a few weeks.

As mentioned the deaths attributed to elephants this year has seemed higher than normal, maybe its just better media coverage.

But the camps / resorts that cater to tourists should be shuned. They have put tourists on male elephants in musk. which has been someones death warrent several times this year. I took several children to a camp one time just to watch from a distance the animals and the tourists. While there i saw elephants chained to trees away from the crowds that were being teased and tormentated by so called hired help. I kept hoping the chain would break and the elephant could get his revenge, no such luck.

I recomend , if asked, that vistors watch national geographic and not support elephant shows by even their presence.

One use to be able to take the long-tail boat from Chiang Rai up the Kok river to the Karen village of Ruammit, where they have had an elephant camp for as long as I have been hanging around the country (35 years). I believe there is now an all-weather road as well.

You can still go to Ruammit by long tail boat.

There is a paved road to the elephant camp where they are chained up and beaten into providing rides for tourists.

As long as people want to ride them, they'll be mistreated.

If you want to watch a real tear-jerker about a Japanese boy who comes to work with elephants in North Thailand you have to try and find a copy of:

Shining Boy and Little Randy

This is a Japanese film based on a true story. I saw it over 5 years ago on an Emirates flight. A very moving film.

Archived