Kids sleeping in parents room

JohnnyJazz

The other day I was surprised to learn that the 12 years old son of a friend of mine is still sleeping in his parents room. And they are not poor, the kid could have a room on his own Then when I ask other (Thai) people it seems to be quite a normal situation. Actually they are even surprised to learn that in my home country toddler and even younger babies sleep in their own room if only to preserve their parents intimacy.

Is it really that common in Thailand for kids up to 10-12 y.o. to sleep in their parents room even when they can afford to have their own room ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the usual thai haters will exaggerate, but it is true that this is a custom all over Asia, not just SE Asia. After 3-4 years age, they usually sleep in their own beds but in the same room. And move out around 8 yrs old.

Can you elaborate further in the case of my nephew I speak only from personal experience,as I said in this instance he was 16.

Ok he wasn't sucking mummy's left boob but it sounds better.

Many of the usual thai haters will exaggerate, but it is true that this is a custom all over Asia, not just SE Asia. After 3-4 years age, they usually sleep in their own beds but in the same room. And move out around 8 yrs old.

Can you elaborate further in the case of my nephew I speak only from personal experience,as I said in this instance he was 16.

Maybe they had an abnormal relationship, but it is not the norm in Thailand for 16yr old boys to suck on their mother's breasts.

Maybe they had an abnormal relationship, but it is not the norm in Thailand for 16yr old boys to suck on their mother's breasts.

I know I made that bit up I edited my last post,sorry.

Very common in the Boonies as many home only have one, or at best two bedrooms. When there is two the second is often used by Grandparents and the kids quite often alternate which room they sleep in. I've got two Nieces, one six who sleeps in Grandad's bed and one three that sleeps between Mum and Dad. I often remark to my wife that i think it's unhealthy that six year old's live in Grandad's bed but she says it's completely normal here. Wouldn't do for my kids but each to their own.

Yes, it is. Actually, not just Thailand but pretty much the whole South East Asia.

Agree as I've personally witnessed it here among friends.

Also, a Japanese colleague, from our major American company employer, had a 250 sq. meter condo in BKK with 4 bedrooms and he, his wife and 2 sons slept in the same bedroom. Not at all unusual in Asia.

Yes, it is. Actually, not just Thailand but pretty much the whole South East Asia.

Agree as I've personally witnessed it here among friends.

Also, a Japanese colleague, from our major American company employer, had a 250 sq. meter condo in BKK with 4 bedrooms and he, his wife and 2 sons slept in the same bedroom. Not at all unusual in Asia.

No need for sex education in Asia its all a hands on experience. Monkey see monkey do. I guess we are all descendants of monkeys as we are behaving like them more and more every day except me of course.

Here we go again with farang ignorance on customs and traditions in asia.

What we know to be the norm...is not the norm here or anywhere else in asia.

In Thailand (as well as the Philippines)...smaller houses and less furniture was normal when my wife grew up. It was just fairly recently that some thais have acquired a western style home with all the frills.

Good God man...have you never slept in a tent or shared a camping trailer? Kids and adults in our own society in one room...regardless of age!!! Why would anyone think that is weird? How about a hotel room with twin beds, and a cot pulled in for a family? We did that in Hawaii and California.

It is my opinion, as a father, that nothing is wrong or immoral about kids and adults sleeping in one room. Whatever are you thinking?! My kids (in the Philippines) loved to sleep in the same room, and we all would chat and tell stories. It was a comfortable and beautiful thing. Often, the ladies in the house would share a sleeping arrangement. My wife would be with our daugher...and my son would be not far from me. As they grew up....they got their own room, but it was more because arrangements in one room were not large enough. I once found six asleep on the floor ..in one room, when relatives came over....and there were empty rooms with bunkbeds for the kids and king sized beds for two adults. Why be shocked? Are you thinking that there is something forbidden going on?

It is more about security...and family union.....not about taboo things in western minds.

In case you haven't yet realized, that's what this forum is about, foreigners asking question about local customs.

You can come in two, five, ten years time and you will still have newbies asking again and again the same question because that's what this forum is about. Get it ?

In case you haven't yet realized, that's what this forum is about, foreigners asking question about local customs.

You can come in two, five, ten years time and you will still have newbies asking again and again the same question because that's what this forum is about. Get it ?

wai2.gif welcome newbee

and do not take that personal, as well.

My daughter was probably 10 years old before she decided that parents that fart and snore aren't actually necessary roomies.

Same here

nothing wrong with it, it helps develop strong family bonds, and provide a sense of security for the child

Let's remember the topic started about a 12 yr. old boy sleeping in his parents room when other bedrooms were available. We're not talking about a situation that required this arrangement with no other options.

Necessity does not dictate custom. So I'm to believe a 12 yr. old boy would not rather have his own room with TV, video games, privacy......that he would rather sleep in parents room. Just because a few posters have done it does not make it the country's custom.

It may be what people do here but I'm not from here I'm a foreigner.

Why should westerners be expected to bow down to local traditions such as this if they choose not to.

In my house it's my rules is that OK with the remaining TV members who have adapted to living like the natives.

I was raised to be independent and once old enough to fend for myself,ok that's not what happens here,I/we don't have to conform to it just because we live here.

Those who bow down to most of these stupid demands are pussy whipped and scared of the old lady.

Don't do as I do do as I say.

My daughter was probably 10 years old before she decided that parents that fart and snore aren't actually necessary roomies.

Same here

nothing wrong with it, it helps develop strong family bonds, and provide a sense of security for the child

And scares them shitless when they have to fend for themselves no less.

Let's remember the topic started about a 12 yr. old boy sleeping in his parents room when other bedrooms were available. We're not talking about a situation that required this arrangement with no other options.

Necessity does not dictate custom. So I'm to believe a 12 yr. old boy would not rather have his own room with TV, video games, privacy......that he would rather sleep in parents room. Just because a few posters have done it does not make it the country's custom.

I dont see mentioned anywhere that the said 12 year old was forced to sleep in his parents room, so I assume he must like it, though this might change soon as the son discovers that thing between his legs wink.pngbiggrin.png

and his life changes for ever.tongue.png

Keep in mind that Thais are much more social than westerners, just look a houses in Thailand and in the West

Houses in Thailand have most of the yard property in the front of the house.Thais like to see and be seen.

Houses in the west have most of the Yard in the back, out of the way, People in the west like their privacy and big walls. .

Thais are much more social than western

I dont see mentioned anywhere that the said 12 year old was forced to sleep in his parents room, so I assume he must like it, though this might change soon as the son discovers that thing between his legs wink.pngbiggrin.png

and his life changes for ever.tongue.png

Keep in mind that Thais are much more social than westerners, just look a houses in Thailand and in the West

Houses in Thailand have most of the yard property in the front of the house.Thais like to see and be seen.

Houses in the west have most of the Yard in the back, out of the way, People in the west like their privacy and big walls. .

Thais are much more social than western

Indeed Thais from a young age are surrounded by people,family etc

They cram onto songthaews,participate in overcrowded classrooms and know nothing other than this.

There is little room for privacy in a traditional Thai household.

That's why in every town young Thai couples engaging in a little bit of hanky panky have to visit short time hotels,they are everywhere.

They never eat alone,sit alone or wish to be alone.

Me I like my own company sometimes.

Same here

And scares them shitless when they have to fend for themselves no less.

At least in my situation, not true at all

My daughter is a very well adjusted, miss personality with a large number of friends.and doing great at school, I could not be prouder of her.

IMO and the opinion of many others, the strongest veritable for developing a well adjusted child is security and love.

Archived