Pressures of living in an Isaan village

Kenny202

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who can't understand why someone would live in a Thai village, here are a few of my reasons. I should acknowledge that I live in a village 55 km from Chiang Rai so I am not in Isaan.

The front yard, the house, sunset by the pond and birds in the field.

Test1%252520%252520005.jpg

sunset%252520%252520003.jpg

sunset%252520%252520005.jpg

birds%252520%252520002.jpg

For those who can't understand why someone would live in a Thai village, here are a few of my reasons. I should acknowledge that I live in a village 55 km from Chiang Rai so I am not in Isaan.

The front yard, the house, sunset by the pond and birds in the field.

Test1%252520%252520005.jpg

sunset%252520%252520003.jpg

sunset%252520%252520005.jpg

birds%252520%252520002.jpg

Yes but living in a house with surroundings like that bears little resemblance to living in a village in Issan surrounded by locals.

Are you close with your neighbours ?

I can't imagine to many people are fortunate enough to live in a house such as that.

It sort of completely goes against the whole living and immersing yourself in the local culture theory IMO.

That house wouldn't look out of place in Beverly Hills.

Yes but living in a house with surroundings like that bears little resemblance to living in a village in Issan surrounded by locals.

Are you close with your neighbours ?

I can't imagine to many people are fortunate enough to live in a house such as that.

It sort of completely goes against the whole living and immersing yourself in the local culture theory IMO.

That house wouldn't look out of place in Beverly Hills.

We were the first to build a house away from others, on the fringes of the village, but more people are doing it these days after visiting our place. I am completely over the total immersion thing after living here for nearly 40 years and I did not confine myself to one social class in the process.

We are surrounded by farmers and all the traditional village fare but have chosen to do things a little differently. We contribute in our own unique way. I lived in Bangkok for 30 years so many of my Thai sensibilities are derived from my time spent living there.

Villagefarang Not everyone has a budget large enough for that kind of set up. Also some wouldn't like to be so isolated.

personally I would love to build something similar in a semi remote peaceful area but unless you can buy all of the surrounding land guaranteed someone will build next to you.

From your pictures I don't think your "village life" has much in common with the OP's

Villagefarang Not everyone has a budget large enough for that kind of set up. Also some wouldn't like to be so isolated.

personally I would love to build something similar in a semi remote peaceful area but unless you can buy all of the surrounding land guaranteed someone will build next to you.

From your pictures I don't think your "village life" has much in common with the OP's

There is still all the normal gossip, noise, customs and traditions. I am just suggesting that it is not mandatory for one live like the poorest person in the village. It is possible to occupy a different niche in the village ecosystem. I assure you we were the subject of gossip and questions for the first few years but learned how to change the subject and deflect. Village life doesn’t have to be terrible.

My wife and I go back every year to visit family to a very small village situated north east of Buriram so it is the same they all know what we are and do make comments on how we do things. My wife family is very small cause she only has two sisters remaining there in the big house.

For my part I do like the way it is i do understand just a litle when they speaks and for the rest i do not worry about the gossip.

We have respect and give them respect this is the main thing for all of us regardless if they are poor and uneducated they still have to make a living just like us.

When we are in the village the wife's mum and sister live in a house just off the rd.We live 100 yard down the property next to the lake which I like to fish in.And I think we spend more time in their gate house than in are house .As their is more to see by the rd.The only thing that I don't like is the mourning tannoy.And really all visitors stay at the gate house and leave us alone unless they are asked down for a drink and food.

There is still all the normal gossip, noise, customs and traditions. I am just suggesting that it is not mandatory for one live like the poorest person in the village. It is possible to occupy a different niche in the village ecosystem. I assure you we were the subject of gossip and questions for the first few years but learned how to change the subject and deflect. Village life doesn’t have to be terrible.

Oh Forget it -- if you haven't had enough of the guy writing about himself on ThsaiVisa you can go to his blog linked on the Profile page where you can read more of what he writes about himself.

Ive never understood why anyone would want to live in a rural village in Thailand.

Beyond me.

Maybe it depends where you came from. I grew up in a Podunk town, middle of the desert in California, couldn't wait to escape. Well, university, big cities, travelling the world for most of my life, and finally I realize what I'd missed not staying at home.

There are people I knew back in HS who, married their HS sweetheart, worked on the farm with their parents, who I for years looked down upon...well after decades of what you would call success, was I any happier? Thats the question.

There are always pluses & minuses in everything we do in life, but I really don't know if our continual drive to escape a lifestyle more tied to our roots and the land is leading us to a happier place, or as it seems to be, a life full of drugs to take away; the pain, loneliness, anxiety, stress, the list is endless.

Village life (and remember inside your house can be whatever you want it to be, don't need to go native, so to speak) may well not be paradise for all, but it does return you to a more sustainable way of existence

@Kenny202 and @SantiSuk,

You make some interesting observations.

@Kenny202

I think that what you're talking about is pretty much human nature. Maybe you're more aware of it than in your home country due to feeling to be an outsider looking in, or maybe because you're hearing a lot about it and only a little about other matters (as you say, "We have a lot of genuine friends here too but the few negative types dominate my wifes thoughts").

In your situation (as I sometimes am) I'd rise above it. If you know that you are decent genuine people then you don't need to pay much attention to the minority of idiots that you encounter.

I wish you good luck in Isaan.

HP

that is my exact feeling. I guess I'm outside the forest looking at the trees. Harder for my girl. There are people here I deeply value their opinion of me. Others you do everything you can, if not good enough what can you do. Human nature is the word and it's no different over the world. Only the circumstances in which people live

Human nature is good and rounded, grounded. Its the road to human nature that we make complex. The world over.

I haven't stopped working offshore so rarely stay more than 2 months at a time in the village home. Did the same as countless others before me, bought some land, built a not so over the top nice house but bigger than most. No inside kitchen except for micro, nothing inside indicates western standard as days are spent outside, meals eaten outside. Small things would piss me off about the way the house was kept initially but as years go by they seem immaterial.

I've also come to realize I wouldn't settle for that lifestyle when I stay full time. We'll relocate to a non tourist beach town mainly to provide a better school for our kid. I'm not knocking the small village lifestyle but honestly I've worked too hard all my life to settle for that. I'd like to go see English speaking movies. and I'd love having beach close by. And another plus is not having folks stopping by the house unannounced everyday. Doesn't really bother me anymore, not like it did at first.

When I came here my wife had already built a modest little block home. Basically an 8 x 8 metre block box. A 4 x 8 metre long room which we have our sofa and TV one end and a small but really nice little kitchen the other end. The rest of the house is two big 4x4 metre bedrooms. It was pretty much unfinished...no ceilings, no kitchen etc. Hard to imagine now but when i got here with no ceilings we shared the home with the local insects, washed up on the ground outside and had cold dunk showers out the back washroom. I added a driveway, carport, back enclosed patio, nice shower and toilet, ceilings, air con's, water tanks and auto pump etc. We were very lucky to get lovely honest builders (husband and wife) who work at Thai rates and do a great job. Cost us about 150k baht for the renos. I've made built in robes and pantry. Grown a lawn. I love the layout. Super roomy and airy. We don't need a dining area as we always eat outside. It's just so homey and comfortable and we haven't spent a fortune. From the outside the locals aren't too impressed (our home is white not pink, lime and blue) but they are floored when they come inside. All the important things....expensive bed and leather Sofa, big flat screen and big fridge. Home theater. We're having a baby soon so will extend another room where the back patio is and make a new back patio. Maybe another 60k. I love it. I had the big 5 bedroom home in Australia. Been there done that. This is laid out like a nice roomy apartment but on 2 rai of land...bamboo, forest, birds. I love our place and should the worst happen in the future I could walk away without too much damage.

Oh Forget it -- if you haven't had enough of the guy writing about himself on ThsaiVisa you can go to his blog linked on the Profile page where you can read more of what he writes about himself.

Thanks for the unsolicited promotion but in the spirit of full disclosure, that link on my profile page is for my Google Plus page and not my blog. It is not difficult to find my blog if one googles, however.biggrin.png

All my Thai neighbors hate me because I yell at them in Thai when having to clean up their dogs' mess after their dogs leave such mess in front of our gate where I have to either clean it up or step in it when opening/closing our gate while they stand there watching me clean it up.

Suits me just fine.

. Dogs are Brighter than Ferangs , they don't step on it.

All my Thai neighbors hate me because I yell at them in Thai when having to clean up their dogs' mess after their dogs leave such mess in front of our gate where I have to either clean it up or step in it when opening/closing our gate while they stand there watching me clean it up.

Suits me just fine.

. Dogs are Brighter than Ferangs , they don't step on it.

No -- they just stick their noses in it.

Thanks for the unsolicited promotion but in the spirit of full disclosure, that link on my profile page is for my Google Plus page and not my blog. It is not difficult to find my blog if one googles, however.biggrin.png

ThaiVisa about me. Google+ about me. Blog about me. But that's OK . One of my long time friends is a tropical horticulturist named Tom and I always say you can have a fascinating conversation with Tom as long as the topic of the conversation is Tom.

You forgot JLCrab about me.tongue.png Again, thanks for the promotion.

Maybe but compared to yourself not much. I have a very boring life which nobody wants to read about.

As per my résumé which you said would not much impress the dogs, at least in Thailand it is only older Thai people or Thai people that work in government who have any idea that Foundation I described even exists. Not too good for picking up chicks.

Nah it's just the big labor Day weekend coming up in the USA and European diplomatic circles slowly returning from a month long August holiday so I haven't been able to be my irascible on the world scene.

... and only one per night thank you is plenty.

But as per ThaiVisa sometimes it gets rough on the current legal trial scene when every time I post something there is a tag team effort of people trying to knock me down while some of those same guys only have to mention the time of day and they get 27 likes.

Cant speak of all Isaan but the corner that I built my village home '94 rural M.H. sarakarm situated 25 kliks from nearest amphur (ghosum....) is mostly populated with people who are so envious, unhappy, bitter and parochial, who have the same limited conversation's everyday. My wife, who is a saint, how she managed to develop such a fantastic personality coming from the most dour and domineering family is a minor miracle, all her relatives dozens of them have at some stage had a mouthfull of criticism from me for borrowing and not returning, useing nets (tord hair) to steal my fish, using my bikes without permission, pointless going on these people are only semi- civilised as my wife realizes after we spent a few years in U.K. She suggested that we move to outskirts of K.K best move we could of made rented house in big garden half ry. what neibhors we have are friendly and polite, the complete opposite to the social retards that I suffered for almost 20 yrs. in that so called village, more like a concentration camp with the pompous local Pols. sreeching shit music at 5;30 every morning before their so called important (samcan) pronouncement over the tannoy telling the local clones to tamboon in other words hand over your spare baht to build a new wall or whatever the latest scam and the villagers who are incapable of critical thinking hand over their scarse cash its painfull to experience real poor rural life and watch these repressed gullible peasants being used by the so called (chan glarng) middle class (or bor dor) local gov. admin. who are about as middle classed as a council tenant in U.K. as I was, Rural Isaan is the "pits" JD

Hi Kenny,

I have built a home in Isaan, in a little village my wife grew up in, similar to you.

We are not yet living there full time, waiting until I am old enough to get the Oz pension.

My wife has mentioned to me many times how people in the village who would not have spoken to

her before she married me now want to be her friend. This status thing is very interesting, she comes

from a poor family but the whole family's status has jumped up just because she married a Farang. This,

of course makes her happy.

No more Isaan for me...Met the girl (somewhat 8 yrs ago) from a nice farmer's family...9 brothers and sisters, all working. Usual story: husband had left her and 2 children...She had taken "shark"- and other loans and bought an at that time expensive motorbike for the son, also on credit.

To cut a long story short, I took care of everyting, paid back the loans, took care of her and the children, paid for everything...school care, dental care, skin care dr, eye care...etc...

Meanwhile she only wanted to "show off"...had at least 10 "Mc Jeans" in the wardrobe, most expensive cloths and more.

Bought a peace of land in her village and built a beautiful house. When the house was finished I decided to sell the 2 door pick-up and wanted to buy a small car so that she also could easy learn to drive.

Oh no!...She became really angry...NO small car...finally I was that stupid to listen to her and the most expensive SUV appeared...She wouldn't drive it. She only wanted to show-off...

I felt like I only served as the care-taker and the driver...And I got bored of it all.

Then I went to the coastal side and looked around to find a nice place where we could spend some time, not too far from the sea. I also discovered that I could follow Thai lessons over there, which opportunity didn't excist in the Isaan area where we lived.

And I found an old empty small house where nobody had lived in (except for termites) during 17 years...one can immagine how it looked like...

But I decided to fix it up...of course that would take some time.

During the works she remained in Isaan and came to visit me twice. I was still supporting her and also paid for the first year of the university for the daughter. She told me that she also found a little job and made sandwiches. Everything sounded ok so far...

At a certain day, I receive a phone call from a farang living next to her village. I know him for several years. His wife left him about a year ago.

He told me that my wife didn't work at all but stayed with him for 6 months already...all the time she lied about that. She played a double game and he feared that se would leave him. She also takes a monthly allowance from him for her "services".

Now she wants an impossible amount of money...

The case now goes to Court, in Thailand as well as in my home country...

Bey bey, Isaan...I've had it.

Love your story

No more Isaan for me...Met the girl (somewhat 8 yrs ago) from a nice farmer's family...9 brothers and sisters, all working. Usual story: husband had left her and 2 children...She had taken "shark"- and other loans and bought an at that time expensive motorbike for the son, also on credit.

To cut a long story short, I took care of everyting, paid back the loans, took care of her and the children, paid for everything...school care, dental care, skin care dr, eye care...etc...

Meanwhile she only wanted to "show off"...had at least 10 "Mc Jeans" in the wardrobe, most expensive cloths and more.

Bought a peace of land in her village and built a beautiful house. When the house was finished I decided to sell the 2 door pick-up and wanted to buy a small car so that she also could easy learn to drive.

Oh no!...She became really angry...NO small car...finally I was that stupid to listen to her and the most expensive SUV appeared...She wouldn't drive it. She only wanted to show-off...

I felt like I only served as the care-taker and the driver...And I got bored of it all.

Then I went to the coastal side and looked around to find a nice place where we could spend some time, not too far from the sea. I also discovered that I could follow Thai lessons over there, which opportunity didn't excist in the Isaan area where we lived.

And I found an old empty small house where nobody had lived in (except for termites) during 17 years...one can immagine how it looked like...

During the works she remained in Isaan and came to visit me twice. I was still supporting her and also paid for the first year of the university for the daughter. She told me that she also found a little job and made sandwiches. Everything sounded ok so far...

At a certain day, I receive a phone call from a farang living next to her village. I know him for several years. His wife left him about a year ago.

He told me that my wife didn't work at all but stayed with him for 6 months already...all the time she lied about that. She played a double game and he feared that se would leave him. She also takes a monthly allowance from him for her "services".

Rare to read a post of this kind here. An honest description of what can happen, "if the shit hits the fan". Usually, defeated Farang Thailand-warriors leave quietly. Not posting here anymore, just fading away into the sunset by way of BKK Airport. Respect janpharma, respect.

Cheers.

Rare to read a post of this kind here. An honest description of what can happen, "if the shit hits the fan". Usually, defeated Farang Thailand-warriors leave quietly. Not posting here anymore, just fading away into the sunset by way of BKK Airport. Respect janpharma, respect.

Cheers.

Clearly you don't read this esteemed forum enough...it's flooded with tales of woe; my Isaan/Pattaya/Patong... fill in the blank...wife/gf ripped me off, took my money, scammed me of my life savings etc etc

If I had 10฿ for every story I've read like this, I'd be as rich as TVF George!!

Unless you're a foreigner with a house impressing them all, the gossip is pretty bad. I'm not sure whether or not you speak the language, but if you do I'm sure you know it can be pretty bad and quite stressful for the wife.

I wouldn't have a problem living there myself, actually. I moved because my wife couldn't take it anymore.

That being said, it all depends on the village in question. They are all different, and some are worse than others. I heard on several occasions that I was about to go back to Norway, as "someone overheard" a conversation between my wife and myself about me being out of money – a conversation that never took place. Add some family problems and the "friends" who start creating problems whenever you also have "other friends", and it turns pretty unlivable. Unless you're both islands, of course.

I wouldn't advise people to build a house in the village of the wife. 20–40 km away would be perfect, in my mind. Close enough to visit without a problem, far enough away to give you peace of mind. And no intrusive family making your life hard with impossible demands. It certainly doesn't hurt being able to escape, if just for a short while.

Cant speak of all Isaan but the corner that I built my village home '94 rural M.H. sarakarm situated 25 kliks from nearest amphur (ghosum....) is mostly populated with people who are so envious, unhappy, bitter and parochial, who have the same limited conversation's everyday. My wife, who is a saint, how she managed to develop such a fantastic personality coming from the most dour and domineering family is a minor miracle, all her relatives dozens of them have at some stage had a mouthfull of criticism from me for borrowing and not returning, useing nets (tord hair) to steal my fish, using my bikes without permission, pointless going on these people are only semi- civilised as my wife realizes after we spent a few years in U.K. She suggested that we move to outskirts of K.K best move we could of made rented house in big garden half ry. what neibhors we have are friendly and polite, the complete opposite to the social retards that I suffered for almost 20 yrs. in that so called village, more like a concentration camp with the pompous local Pols. sreeching shit music at 5;30 every morning before their so called important (samcan) pronouncement over the tannoy telling the local clones to tamboon in other words hand over your spare baht to build a new wall or whatever the latest scam and the villagers who are incapable of critical thinking hand over their scarse cash its painfull to experience real poor rural life and watch these repressed gullible peasants being used by the so called (chan glarng) middle class (or bor dor) local gov. admin. who are about as middle classed as a council tenant in U.K. as I was, Rural Isaan is the "pits" JD

Who wouldn't "like" this, LOL. ? tongue.png

Archived