Pressures of living in an Isaan village

Kenny202

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I picture the medevil farming village where I'm the only person with a chair...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That's not a chair it's a THRONE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly won't be a "sit down" toilet, that's for sure!

Cant speak of all Isaan but the corner that I built my village home '94 rural M.H. sarakarm situated 25 kliks from nearest amphur (ghosum....) is mostly populated with people who are so envious, unhappy, bitter and parochial, who have the same limited conversation's everyday. My wife, who is a saint, how she managed to develop such a fantastic personality coming from the most dour and domineering family is a minor miracle, all her relatives dozens of them have at some stage had a mouthfull of criticism from me for borrowing and not returning, useing nets (tord hair) to steal my fish, using my bikes without permission, pointless going on these people are only semi- civilised as my wife realizes after we spent a few years in U.K. She suggested that we move to outskirts of K.K best move we could of made rented house in big garden half ry. what neibhors we have are friendly and polite, the complete opposite to the social retards that I suffered for almost 20 yrs. in that so called village, more like a concentration camp with the pompous local Pols. sreeching shit music at 5;30 every morning before their so called important (samcan) pronouncement over the tannoy telling the local clones to tamboon in other words hand over your spare baht to build a new wall or whatever the latest scam and the villagers who are incapable of critical thinking hand over their scarse cash its painfull to experience real poor rural life and watch these repressed gullible peasants being used by the so called (chan glarng) middle class (or bor dor) local gov. admin. who are about as middle classed as a council tenant in U.K. as I was, Rural Isaan is the "pits" JD

You somehow managed to make that not sound bitter and twisted. An accurate appraisal of life within the village.

I couldn't do it. I could not cope with the mundane triviality of it all where all the factors JohnDodd mentioned come into play on a, recurring, daily basis.

I can live in the middle of a rice field where we are not affected by the daily machinations of the village retards. I can cope with most in very small doses but never on a day to day basis.

Not that it matters but I know JanPharma and, from what I saw, he always did the right thing and 'took care' of his wife and family. When relationships with our 'loved ones' go sour - and we feel betrayed - it is hard to retain warm feelings for the environment in which we committed to. I would have to say though that this is not exclusive to lower Isaan, any part of Isaan, London, Amsterdam or Margate. It can happen anywhere. I have seen the despair and anger that Jan is displaying in many Farangs who have been 'burned' in their own country.

I think I like Santisuks philosophy (which I interpreted as) - if you fall off the horse get up on another and have another go at it.

In many ways Thailand is an easy country in which to re-mount.

Yeah I picture the medevil farming village where I'm the only person with a chair...

Know you're joking, I get it. but the fact is you're not too far off the mark. Chairs aren't the norm where I stay.

Yeah I know! lol

I bought my in law's a couple of ikea style chairs... They looked at me as if I was stupid when I put em together... They sleep in em now!

The whole village comes to look when I sit in the sun on my deck chair

Know you're joking, I get it. but the fact is you're not too far off the mark. Chairs aren't the norm where I stay.

Yeah I know! lol

I bought my in law's a couple of ikea style chairs... They looked at me as if I was stupid when I put em together... They sleep in em now!

The whole village comes to look when I sit in the sun on my deck chair

You should ask for 5 baht per photo. Zoos aren't free either. thumbsup.gif

Don't know how you do it.

Jealously, people wanting money, the inability to have a stimulating conversation.

Hey, I just don't know how you all do it.

I guess it's alright if you've just had a mediocre life and have no further great expectations in the remainder of your lives.

I think my wife is starting to feel some pressure living here. Been a lot of pressures on her moving back here with a farang husband...strangely I've adapted easilly. I think she thought she would move back here and receive instant status etc but the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well in Isaan. Petty jealousies, gossip, showing off par for the course. My wife came to live in Australia for a year and wasn't impressed with the big house etc. She couldn't get the same food there as in Isaan haha. I wud rather have a girl like that than a woman who dives into the designer lifestyle. She grew up dirt poor, and I mean poorer than most poor people here. She really hasn't changed either, the people around her have though. For eg people can't understand why she has money yet she dresses like a farm girl and gossip. If she was getting around in designer gear and make up she'd be equally ostrasised. She's had 3 friends put photos of me in their Facebook and lead others to believe i am their guy. Even close friends which has hurt her deeply. Had a girl here yesterday joke to her if my wife doesn't help her find a farang husband she'll come and steal me. A joke but not a joke to an Isaan girl. Half the people seem to gossip because I roll my own cigarettes and we chose to renovate her basic 2 bedroom home rather than build a palace. We have a lovely comfortable home but who in their right mind would spend millions of baht on a home on non chanote village land in someone elses name. I'm kie neow and kie nok. Seems like many would like to see her fall down and very hard for her to win it would seem. Weve gone out of our way to be friendly and respectful, live low key and help where we can. I wont have a bar of showing off. Its easy for me to genuinely respect most here because I cudnt work on a farm bent over for 12 hours in 40 degree heat. We have a lot of genuine friends here too but the few negative types dominate my wifes thoughts. The gossip really doesn't worry me as in most cases whilst they're wrong I can understand the childlike reasoning, lack of education and the boredom which breeds gossip. There are some hiso families in the village with big homes and big gates and they simply shut the lower people out of their lives. Strangely people here seem to respect that as that is how they expect someone with money to act and there comfortable. Everything as it should be. We don't encourage cadgers wanting a handout or drunks but the local kids know they are always welcome and get a feed here. Even that's been a bone of contention? Why you take care of kid but not give older people anything? I'm afforded VIP Status everywhere I go simply because I am a farang. I actually like the language barrier, I don't have to listen to any negativity. Im not whining or complaining. Im very happy living here but i do feel for my wife. Anyone else have similar pressures moving to Isaan?

Welcome to the village/playground, filled with child-adults.

Just pretend your 5 years old again and you will fit in and the pressures you speak of will disappear.

Cant speak of all Isaan but the corner that I built my village home '94 rural M.H. sarakarm situated 25 kliks from nearest amphur (ghosum....) is mostly populated with people who are so envious, unhappy, bitter and parochial, who have the same limited conversation's everyday. My wife, who is a saint, how she managed to develop such a fantastic personality coming from the most dour and domineering family is a minor miracle, all her relatives dozens of them have at some stage had a mouthfull of criticism from me for borrowing and not returning, useing nets (tord hair) to steal my fish, using my bikes without permission, pointless going on these people are only semi- civilised as my wife realizes after we spent a few years in U.K. She suggested that we move to outskirts of K.K best move we could of made rented house in big garden half ry. what neibhors we have are friendly and polite, the complete opposite to the social retards that I suffered for almost 20 yrs. in that so called village, more like a concentration camp with the pompous local Pols. sreeching shit music at 5;30 every morning before their so called important (samcan) pronouncement over the tannoy telling the local clones to tamboon in other words hand over your spare baht to build a new wall or whatever the latest scam and the villagers who are incapable of critical thinking hand over their scarse cash its painfull to experience real poor rural life and watch these repressed gullible peasants being used by the so called (chan glarng) middle class (or bor dor) local gov. admin. who are about as middle classed as a council tenant in U.K. as I was, Rural Isaan is the "pits" JD

Who wouldn't "like" this, LOL. ? tongue.png

Never Sure, perhaps? laugh.png

When we are still building house in my wife village have been asked if we are having 2 or 3 bathrooms or 3 or 4 bedrooms after explaining we are having just a bog standard 2 bed one big house no other luxurious fittings and such. They have accepted me quite normal and so have the local four legged friends by the way. Was talking to village elder and several other villages who informs me there is one other ferang in the village who in there words the villagers that is. Is a total fool who believes he is so much better than everyone else! !! As luck would have it I haven't met him yet but I will give the benefit of dought till I do

When we are still building house in my wife village have been asked if we are having 2 or 3 bathrooms or 3 or 4 bedrooms after explaining we are having just a bog standard 2 bed one big house no other luxurious fittings and such. They have accepted me quite normal and so have the local four legged friends by the way. Was talking to village elder and several other villages who informs me there is one other ferang in the village who in there words the villagers that is. Is a total fool who believes he is so much better than everyone else! !! As luck would have it I haven't met him yet but I will give the benefit of dought till I do

Be worth meeting him to see if they say the same to him about you! lol[emoji12]

How many of you when you lived in your home countires yearned to live near your in laws and all the hassles that came with it.

It's no surprise reading all the grief you guys are getting living in the pockets of family

As the saying goes you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family.

Although we don't live in the village any more because we moved overseas, one thing I'll always appreciate is the way things just grow from nothing. I feel like I've grown a jungle in ten years, and every time we're there we try to make improvements.

Nearest neighbours are sixty metres away which is far enough that they don't bother us. Interestingly enough, the thing that annoys both off us the most is the family. My wife admits it was a mistake to build there, and we're now looking at buying somewhere else and treating the village home as a holiday home.

I'm not bothered really but short bursts of a few weeks might be better. I've never cared what any of them say about me, and as far as I know I'm okay with the villagers.

Even if I'm not, why would I care what they think anyway. As far as I'm concerned I've done nothing wrong. Life's too short too care what other people think about you.

post-112437-1441932995435_thumb.jpg

post-112437-14419330461779_thumb.jpg

post-112437-14419330887299_thumb.jpg

post-112437-14419331550216_thumb.jpg

post-112437-14419332819619_thumb.jpg

post-112437-14419333262261_thumb.jpg

You are so right when you say it depends on the village. I am shocked when people paint all villages with the same brush. Each village in our area is different and has its own personality so to speak. This area was homesteaded in the time of my wife’s grandparents so most villages are Northern Thais from various places in the North. There are also villages with a distinct Isaan flavor as they were settled by people from further south. The nearest hill tribe villages are maybe 20 km away.
Some villages are neat and the houses and yards well maintained while others are neglected and an eyesore. A lot depends on the local leadership and the affluence of the farmers and businessmen in that area.
I suspect a lot of foreigners end up in desperate villages with desperate people because of how and where they met their partners. If people meet through more traditional methods of school, work or friends I am guessing things might not be so bad.

Agree with this 100%, in our area every village seems to have a different character.

My wifes family were very suspicious of me when we first got married and pushed my wife to try to get me to buy things and put them in her name as a way of safegaurding my wife's future. They figured that it was unlikely that our relationship would last. Now 7 years later the situation has changed dramatically. My wife and I fixed up the old family house to a very comfortable but not showey standard and we live there with the MIL. We got the land and the old house for free provided we took in the MIL which is no problem as she is great to have around.

The MIL is now the one who runs interference for us as she has put the word out that my money is for my immediate famly only. My wifes extended family are all happy to see that the MIL is taken care of as is my wife and step-son. The only time we ever get asked for money is to help out for local weddings or funerals, the MIL is in charge of deciding how much we give and it is usually a pittance. She has a long memory of who helped her and who didn't when she was trying to raise a family as a widow. The inlaws are also great at helping out with every day tasks and we get unlimited babysitting from the MIL. As our house is the renovated original family home we do get the in-laws dropping in daily but they are just there for a visit or to drop their kids of with the MIL while they go work on their farms or whatever.

If it wasn't for the wife's family being easy to get along with, I don't think I could hack it in the village. I couldn't live with the agro some people are describing. There are other things that do irritate me, the chickens, the dogs, the morning loudspeaker, burning trash (including plastic), useless Puyaiban, etc., but at the end of the day those are not make or break issues. I can speak a bit of Thai but I don't really have anyone to talk to in the village other than my wife. At first I was keen to work on my Thai but now I don't see much point in progressing as they rarely talk of anything other than what they will eat next, the weather or farm prices. I do have a number of western friends within a 60km radius or so and this is important for my sanity. I get out about twice a week to meet friends for a round of golf or a few beers and a chin wag. I also think to be successful living in the village you have to be ok with being alone in a crowd. I am happy with my books, computer, movies, etc. and don't need constant human interaction to be content.

The biggest issue my wife has nothing to do with other villagers though in early days they would upset her with impolite questions about me and our relationship (such as how much money we have or do I have any rich friends that would like to move to the village and marry them). My wifes biggest issue these days relates to the spouses and girlfriends of my friends. The Mia Falang crowd can be a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the older ones are always trying to tell my wife what to do and how to "manage" me, thankfully she just smiles and nods but she does tire of it sometimes. The biggest problem though is that some of my friends are single and my wife will see them with a new woman every now and then. This bothers my wife as she has her own (strict) ideas about fidelity and also because invariably the new woman peppers my wife with questions like, "how many women has my friend been with?", "is he really rich?", etc. This puts her in a bad place where she has to be evasive or lie because she doesn't want me to have problems with my friend even though she doesn't think much of his behaviour.

You are so right when you say it depends on the village. I am shocked when people paint all villages with the same brush. Each village in our area is different and has its own personality so to speak. This area was homesteaded in the time of my wife’s grandparents so most villages are Northern Thais from various places in the North. There are also villages with a distinct Isaan flavor as they were settled by people from further south. The nearest hill tribe villages are maybe 20 km away.
Some villages are neat and the houses and yards well maintained while others are neglected and an eyesore. A lot depends on the local leadership and the affluence of the farmers and businessmen in that area.
I suspect a lot of foreigners end up in desperate villages with desperate people because of how and where they met their partners. If people meet through more traditional methods of school, work or friends I am guessing things might not be so bad.

Agree with this 100%, in our area every village seems to have a different character.

My wifes family were very suspicious of me when we first got married and pushed my wife to try to get me to buy things and put them in her name as a way of safegaurding my wife's future. They figured that it was unlikely that our relationship would last. Now 7 years later the situation has changed dramatically. My wife and I fixed up the old family house to a very comfortable but not showey standard and we live there with the MIL. We got the land and the old house for free provided we took in the MIL which is no problem as she is great to have around.

The MIL is now the one who runs interference for us as she has put the word out that my money is for my immediate famly only. My wifes extended family are all happy to see that the MIL is taken care of as is my wife and step-son. The only time we ever get asked for money is to help out for local weddings or funerals, the MIL is in charge of deciding how much we give and it is usually a pittance. She has a long memory of who helped her and who didn't when she was trying to raise a family as a widow. The inlaws are also great at helping out with every day tasks and we get unlimited babysitting from the MIL. As our house is the renovated original family home we do get the in-laws dropping in daily but they are just there for a visit or to drop their kids of with the MIL while they go work on their farms or whatever.

If it wasn't for the wife's family being easy to get along with, I don't think I could hack it in the village. I couldn't live with the agro some people are describing. There are other things that do irritate me, the chickens, the dogs, the morning loudspeaker, burning trash (including plastic), useless Puyaiban, etc., but at the end of the day those are not make or break issues. I can speak a bit of Thai but I don't really have anyone to talk to in the village other than my wife. At first I was keen to work on my Thai but now I don't see much point in progressing as they rarely talk of anything other than what they will eat next, the weather or farm prices. I do have a number of western friends within a 60km radius or so and this is important for my sanity. I get out about twice a week to meet friends for a round of golf or a few beers and a chin wag. I also think to be successful living in the village you have to be ok with being alone in a crowd. I am happy with my books, computer, movies, etc. and don't need constant human interaction to be content.

The biggest issue my wife has nothing to do with other villagers though in early days they would upset her with impolite questions about me and our relationship (such as how much money we have or do I have any rich friends that would like to move to the village and marry them). My wifes biggest issue these days relates to the spouses and girlfriends of my friends. The Mia Falang crowd can be a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the older ones are always trying to tell my wife what to do and how to "manage" me, thankfully she just smiles and nods but she does tire of it sometimes. The biggest problem though is that some of my friends are single and my wife will see them with a new woman every now and then. This bothers my wife as she has her own (strict) ideas about fidelity and also because invariably the new woman peppers my wife with questions like, "how many women has my friend been with?", "is he really rich?", etc. This puts her in a bad place where she has to be evasive or lie because she doesn't want me to have problems with my friend even though she doesn't think much of his behaviour.

I like your attitude and level of understanding so I though your post deserved more than the ‘like’ I gave it. You sound like one of the well adjusted foreigners and a good example for others.

How many of you when you lived in your home countires yearned to live near your in laws and all the hassles that came with it.

It's no surprise reading all the grief you guys are getting living in the pockets of family

As the saying goes you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family.

Families they don't know villages they have never experienced before ,culture they don't know.

Should never live in a village until you have lived in Thailand for 10 years and then do it through choice..

You give exactly the same impression.

I think anyone contemplating a move to an Issan village should do their best to minimise the up front financial investment until they know for certian that they will want to live there for a long time. It is nigh on impossible to sell a big house built in some remote villiage and you would be lucky to get half your investment back out of it. Try moving to a nearby large town and rent a house for a year, go spend weekends with the family and see how it goes. This is also your chance to meet some of the local expats, some of whom you will need to steer clear of but some may become good mates over time. If that first year goes well then look to stay in the village for a longer period of time, maybe there is extra room in the family home or maybe there is an empty house in the village you can rent. Heck, let it be known you will pay 5,000 or 10,000 baht a month and people will move out of their house to let you rent it at that price. Try that for 6 months and then if things are still going well look at getting some land to build a place for yourself. If you want to live frugally in the future try to keep your house as small and as simple as you can so that people won't think you are made of money. Using local labour is a good idea to inject some cash into the comunity but be sure your build is very simple as they won't know how to do western style kitchens or things like that.

Even if you have the means to build a big mansion I think it is better not to do so. Build a simple house with lots of useable outdoor areas and you can make a very comfortable house for very little money. There is no one to impress in the village and you likely won't be entertaining unless you count the inlaws. If you are someone who likes to have freinds around and socialise regularly the village may not be the place for you. While there is the odd guy who learns the language well and who integrates well with the villagers that is the exception rater than the norm. Unless by integration you mean getting pissed with the local drunks every day over a bottle of Laokao, I do see some guys who "integrate" well in this fashion. If you can get by doing your own thing, can resist the lure of excessive drinking and have some western friends that are not too far away, then you stand a much better chance of success.

Another way to make your time in the village more enjoyable is to get out of the villiage regularly. Take some of the money you save by living in the village and travel. Spending some of the hot season at the beach or in some mountain resort can make that time of year a bit easier to take. For me I can take the village but it isn't really where I would choose to be if I didn't have our farm to manage and if we didn't have family commitments there. A number of guys who I talk to who live in villages say that it is "ok" and perhaps better than some terrible place where they lived before but that doesn't really sound like a ringing endorsement to me. While I feel living in the village is the best choise for me, wife and step-son for the time being I have to admit it is not the ideal situation for me and there are days when I am about ready to start packing and leave for good.

Is living in a village doable? Yes, I think so for many people but the real question is, is living in a village the best lifestyle for you and your spouse?

Not so in my experience can speak a little Thai but integrated well in village life mind was born in a northern village myself. In fact I have two nights a week now teaching English to several local kids and 3 parents which is a nice break and a humble earner for me (before it starts I only accept veg grown local oh and the odd Leo so as not to be rude)

Not so in my experience can speak a little Thai but integrated well in village life mind was born in a northern village myself. In fact I have two nights a week now teaching English to several local kids and 3 parents which is a nice break and a humble earner for me (before it starts I only accept veg grown local oh and the odd Leo so as not to be rude)

I understand what you are saying but my version of integration would be having a number of good local friends who I can have interesting conversations with and whom I also could have fun outings with. Just because I give their kids free English lessons I wouldn't consider them as friends regardless of how appreciative they are.

I understand what you are saying but my version of integration would be having a number of good local friends who I can have interesting conversations with and whom I also could have fun outings with. Just because I give their kids free English lessons I wouldn't consider them as friends regardless of how appreciative they are.

Yes I see where you are coming from I have social friends within village although I have never been a big drinker or talker come to that. (Wife makes up for the latter LOL). I enjoy life in the village quite layer back and very friendly.

I think anyone contemplating a move to an Issan village should do their best to minimise the up front financial investment until they know for certian that they will want to live there for a long time. It is nigh on impossible to sell a big house built in some remote villiage and you would be lucky to get half your investment back out of it. Try moving to a nearby large town and rent a house for a year, go spend weekends with the family and see how it goes. This is also your chance to meet some of the local expats, some of whom you will need to steer clear of but some may become good mates over time. If that first year goes well then look to stay in the village for a longer period of time, maybe there is extra room in the family home or maybe there is an empty house in the village you can rent. Heck, let it be known you will pay 5,000 or 10,000 baht a month and people will move out of their house to let you rent it at that price. Try that for 6 months and then if things are still going well look at getting some land to build a place for yourself. If you want to live frugally in the future try to keep your house as small and as simple as you can so that people won't think you are made of money. Using local labour is a good idea to inject some cash into the comunity but be sure your build is very simple as they won't know how to do western style kitchens or things like that.

Even if you have the means to build a big mansion I think it is better not to do so. Build a simple house with lots of useable outdoor areas and you can make a very comfortable house for very little money. There is no one to impress in the village and you likely won't be entertaining unless you count the inlaws. If you are someone who likes to have freinds around and socialise regularly the village may not be the place for you. While there is the odd guy who learns the language well and who integrates well with the villagers that is the exception rater than the norm. Unless by integration you mean getting pissed with the local drunks every day over a bottle of Laokao, I do see some guys who "integrate" well in this fashion. If you can get by doing your own thing, can resist the lure of excessive drinking and have some western friends that are not too far away, then you stand a much better chance of success.

Another way to make your time in the village more enjoyable is to get out of the villiage regularly. Take some of the money you save by living in the village and travel. Spending some of the hot season at the beach or in some mountain resort can make that time of year a bit easier to take. For me I can take the village but it isn't really where I would choose to be if I didn't have our farm to manage and if we didn't have family commitments there. A number of guys who I talk to who live in villages say that it is "ok" and perhaps better than some terrible place where they lived before but that doesn't really sound like a ringing endorsement to me. While I feel living in the village is the best choise for me, wife and step-son for the time being I have to admit it is not the ideal situation for me and there are days when I am about ready to start packing and leave for good.

Is living in a village doable? Yes, I think so for many people but the real question is, is living in a village the best lifestyle for you and your spouse?

Dakling

Really enjoyed reading about your experience and insight into village life. This thread really has me thinking about our future. Talking to to my wife about this subject last week she suddenly agreed that building our planned house right on top of the in laws in the village was a bad idea!! I suggested it wasn't such a good idea whilst visiting recently and now boss lek agrees. [emoji106][emoji106]

Now we are considering family land outside the village which the in laws have said we can have for nothing. I'm lucky my wife's family are really sensible but I suppose that's why my wife is the same. Shame the ting tong brothers didn't turn out the same way[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

I lived in a Thai city for 13 years. Then, it was decided to relocate to a rural town. We built a house & now Pils reside with us. They are nice enough people but it is definitely very different.

What to do? Relocate again? No - $$$

Meeting new people is a real challenge.

Watching TV & reading 24/7?

I guess that it is a matter of accepting the way it is.

Dakling

Really enjoyed reading about your experience and insight into village life. This thread really has me thinking about our future. Talking to to my wife about this subject last week she suddenly agreed that building our planned house right on top of the in laws in the village was a bad idea!! I suggested it wasn't such a good idea whilst visiting recently and now boss lek agrees. [emoji106][emoji106]

Now we are considering family land outside the village which the in laws have said we can have for nothing. I'm lucky my wife's family are really sensible but I suppose that's why my wife is the same. Shame the ting tong brothers didn't turn out the same way[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Sounds like a good plan but without meaning to "p!zz on your chips" , I'd recommend a very careful (legal) check on the land before building starts. Unfortunately, I am speaking from past experience.

Best of luck

Dakling

Sounds like a good plan but without meaning to "p!zz on your chips" , I'd recommend a very careful (legal) check on the land before building starts. Unfortunately, I am speaking from past experience.

Best of luck

Hi Dilligad

appreciate your input.

Even though we are not planning to build for another 5 years or so we are already on it!! We were talking last week about what title is on which piece of land. The family have several "farms" A couple are just 1 rai but there are another 2 which are about 3 to 4 rai but not really good locations and 1 is covered in rubber trees anyway.

We think we have the solution about 1km away from the family and 50% is surrounded by fruit trees which hopefully wont get developed. fingers crossed or just buy that if it comes available.

No.1 priority will be the title for the land. My wife has asked her family what the situation is. We plan to fully research before committing any further.

Everything is a risk to a certain degree but hopefully I can eliminate a large percentage prior to shelling out thousands of baht.

I'm interested in hearing more about your experience.

Trip

I agree that having a good piece of land will give you the best start. We were lucky in picking up 5 Rai on the outskirts of town. This means it is only one kilometre from the centre of town, but on the rural outskirts overlooking the rice paddies.

I always wanted some sizeable ponds/dams, so our first job was to excavate two ponds (40m X 10m X 3M deep) and to use the soil to fill our house site and other bits of the land where we might want to build in the future. This cost about 100,000 Baht.

WE allowed the fill to settle for one year and then started on the house foundations etc. Before this we started planting fruit trees, putting in drainage lines, stabilising erosion prone areas and so forth.

I think our property will look magnificent in 5 years times, when the trees have grown. But the work never stops when you have a bit of land. You can spend 24 hours a day working on it if you want.

I'm still learning Thai, but most people in town are friendly. I can't really say we have had any grief from anyone in our 18 months so far. My wife has a small restaurant which is handy as most of the town officials circulate through and I get to meet them. Most of my socialising is with my wife and her friends, or with her family (whom live the next town away). Sometimes one of the local Thais I meet at the restaurant will take me out for a night on the 'town' even though we can't communicate so well. This always ends in karaoke and girls. For some reason they seem to assume that ferangs are only interested in woman! I normally leave them to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this thread. Fascinating collection of village life experiences.

When I first moved to my village, I went through the "Everyone in town thinks you're broke" phase as well. Probably because I held off building a house for about a year. I often suspected that my wife secretly delighted in sharing this gossip with me in the hopes that I would hurry up and build a house in order to put the rumors to rest. One time my wife got into an argument with a woman in the village who reportedly shouted at my wife, "Why are you sticking your nose in my business? I'll tell you why! It's because you married a farang who doesn't have two baht to rub together!"

Days later, I still couldn't believe she had said this and I would beg my wife over and over to tell me the story again. Everytime she told me I laughed so hard my eyes would sting and my nose would run.

JL: the dogs in my moo ban seem to be pretty discrete about where they do their business. Sure, once in a blue moon I step on a turd, but very rarely. What's wrong with the dogs where you live?

Archived