Pepper Salt Mill

overherebc

Yes I agree had a few and they do work well, but looking for something that looks good on a nice set dinner table.

This is Thailand you know.

Have you seen some of the condiments on show in the Kingdom lately.

I can't believe your that hiso.

Haven't been impressed with the ones from Makro, Robinson or Rimping.

Having said that, the Expensive ones we've brought back from abroad are not much better, including the Battery operated variety.

As mentioned above, the Mc Cormick ones are pretty good.

You CAN Refill them. Go to Google, there are a couple of home made Videos on how to Open them and refill.

I prefer these.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1440943094.249033.jpg

Around about the 250 baht mark but last a year then bin the empties and start again.

No..No!!...Don't bin the empties.!!!!!

When they are empty, fill a coffee cup with very hot water and put the grinder end in for about 2 minutes. Hold with a cloth and the top will pop right off with a little twist.

Give them a good shake and make sure you let it dry inside for a day or two, then fill with pepper corns and sea salt from a local market. About B50 each for enough to fill. You have to align the top carefully when you pop it back on but you don't need to heat it.. Don't overfill, leave an inch of space.

I've used mine for at least 10 cycles and still grinding fine.

I bought my pepper mill, wooden, at Macro and has lasted for years. I bought one and tried it using sea salt and it worked fine for a while, but the internal parts finally rusted and gave up due too too much moisture. I haven't seen the McCormick sea salt grinders near me. (Actually there's nothing near me as I live in the boonies!)

There is nothing wrong with a "hiso" dinner table, despite what some of the barbarians on this forum may say. Coming to a savage and uncivilized land does not mean you have to leave your manners and civility behind.

I, too, prefer quality goods, and, normally. the ONLY way to get them is to import from your home country. Shipping is expensive, but a high quality item that will last for years and give pleasure, too, is well worth the extra cost.

I prefer these.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1440943094.249033.jpg

Around about the 250 baht mark but last a year then bin the empties and start again.

No..No!!...Don't bin the empties.!!!!!

When they are empty, fill a coffee cup with very hot water and put the grinder end in for about 2 minutes. Hold with a cloth and the top will pop right off with a little twist.

Give them a good shake and make sure you let it dry inside for a day or two, then fill with pepper corns and sea salt from a local market. About B50 each for enough to fill. You have to align the top carefully when you pop it back on but you don't need to heat it.. Don't overfill, leave an inch of space.

I've used mine for at least 10 cycles and still grinding fine.

Skip the hot water if you are strong.biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

I give up...I'll get a new pepper mill (table salt outta the packet suits me, if required) and use it then go off to work, return after a few months and the peppercorns are mouldy and the grinding mechanism has corroded into oblivion...need to buy the mothers by the dozen...

but, we all know that cheap pepper mills are worthless...the cheap grinding mechanism sucks and the device appears to be intended as a dining table ornament rather than for it's intended purpose as a dispenser of freshly ground pepper...

in Bursa in Turkey I needed a pepper mill badly (lovely veges there but the Turks aren't big on freshly ground pepper) and found one inna gift shop...wildly expensive at about USD30...I thought: 'probably an ornament' but I bought it and ironically it served well until I brought it to Thailand some years later where the humidity did its usual number...and I still keep the non-functioning pepper grinder in my glass enclosed pantry to admire and remember exhalted former days of food preparation with an unlikely but ultimately fantastic device...

some pepper grinders are not what they seem...

Archived