Inpatient alcohol rehab choices?

glbv

I need to stopy cycle of waking up buying 400ml of vodka, doing my day and finishing it with 1L+.

I'm 26 yet I can barely go to social functions because I can't hold utensils because I shake so much.

Price isn't as relative as results are. I need to be stuck somewhere with food therapists that will accommodate my very high protein diet.

Good luck mate. I am going through a regime that I hope will eventually lead me to total abstention. What I found out was that a lot of bad, supposedly fear inducing advice gets handed out by reformed alcoholics. I got some encouragement and good advice on this subforum also.

People will help you but you need to decide for yourself how to do it.

I thought my 20 plus beers a day was a lot, but I'm not judging, been there, going through it.

Whether or not you've already made up your mind to go inpatient (not a bad idea), the guys who frequent the AA meetings will probably be a decent source of information about the resources available in Thailand.

I'd suggest popping into a couple of meetings and asking where there may be facilities that meet your needs and your budget. If anyone knows, some of these guys will.

I don't really know what is available in Thailand but AA will certainly assist in the longer term. The problem is the short term. A clinical detox is really quite simple and gets you over the worst of the early stages so you stop rattling. If you are experiencing severe DTs then a clinical detox is essential as DTs can kill. However your problem really begins when you leave the detox. How are you going to stay stopped then? This is where AA and other services may assist. There's nothing to stop you attending any AA meeting - might be a good idea and given you some pointers.

Not trying to be harsh but you will have better luck at it if you give up the have to haves or you can't do it.

I am quite sure they are nice and could help you but when we quit we can not afford to put strings on it.

The Cabins in Chiang Mai is supposed to be nice. Just what I have heard never saw the place. Over all treatment centers have a low percentage of success unless followed up with a support group. I know many people who have been through quite a few of them.

The bottom line is you. How determined are you to win through the battle. We all have different levels for that. Some higher some lower than others. It is strictly a decision of your own do not even try to compare. Makes no difference where you are in relationship to others.

good luck

Hi I also have been struggling with alcohol abuse and really want to move to Thailand but have been too scared that I'll drink myself to death.

For members who have their drinking under control is there any advise you can share? Are the rehabs good in Thailand and other support? What about as meetings are there lots? Are doctors understanding of how to deal with alcoholics over there?

Any help you can provide us much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi I also have been struggling with alcohol abuse and really want to move to Thailand but have been too scared that I'll drink myself to death.

For members who have their drinking under control is there any advise you can share? Are the rehabs good in Thailand and other support? What about as meetings are there lots? Are doctors understanding of how to deal with alcoholics over there?

My advice? If you have a drinking problem, Thailand will remove just about every obstacle there is between you and a death by alcoholism.

Lots of people get sober here and stay sober here. I'm not sure I'd have been one of them because the support system here is very different and more difficult to get connected to than "back home" where there were hundreds of meetings to choose from each day, and dozens of close friends to hang out with between meeting. Here (BKK), it's a dozen meetings a week and most everyone (myself included) has a lot to do so it's tougher to stay connected other than a few meetings a week.

Also, i't easy to cop a resentment about the people in one meeting or another- it's normal. Back home, with hundreds of meetings a day to choose from- no big deal. Here, it can kill someone without a strong grounding in sobriety.

Use the search function on this sub forum to look for professional options- there are quite a few and I have no experience with any of them as AA worked fine for me, and I consider my sobriety to be strongly grounded. Because I know that I will walk to the airport and hop on a flight back home to my great support network before I'd pick up a drink. So far, it hasn't been necessary. Tomorrow? Probably not, but who knows?

Good luck mate. I am going through a regime that I hope will eventually lead me to total abstention. What I found out was that a lot of bad, supposedly fear inducing advice gets handed out by reformed alcoholics. I got some encouragement and good advice on this subforum also.

I thought my 20 plus beers a day was a lot, but I'm not judging, been there, going through it.

If I were alcoholic I'd welcome any advice by reformed ones.

No you wouldn't. Some of them are Bible thumping, pop eyed crazies who ar sure that only they have the solution to your problem. There's no one sixe fits all solution.

No you wouldn't. Some of them are Bible thumping, pop eyed crazies who ar sure that only they have the solution to your problem. There's no one sixe fits all solution.

In 15 years of attending meetings for alcoholics in fact, I can't remember meeting any of the type you mention. In fact the last 10 years have been with 99% Buddhists or agnostics.

In 15 years of attending meetings for alcoholics in fact, I can't remember meeting any of the type you mention. In fact the last 10 years have been with 99% Buddhists or agnostics.

Ok I can believe that. My own posting in this forum was met with a few very peculiar people, one told me that I was in denial (I wasn't) that I was in denial because I don't want to got to the gym as he proposed ( I can't go to a gym and I don't need to. I work hard) and eventually that if I didn't follow his advice I would soon have cockroaches coming out of my eyes (I won't, I will be created).

Aussienote many do drink themselves to death here same as everywhere else in the world. Most alcoholics die without recognising the problem. Alcoholism is not a phenomenon that exclusively targets people on skid row. It is in fact the ultimate equal opportunity experience. It certainly takes many into the gutter and the truth is few people actually get out of the gutter once they are there. So I salute the ones that do get off the street. They really are the miracles and most of them do it through AA.

Most alkies have homes, families and jobs in order to keep drinking. In the end I got rid of everything that was good in my life and while I wasn't on the street or park bench it would be fair to say I had brought the park bench into my squalid quarters on which I religiously paid the rent every month. I needed to get sober in my own space before I came out here and in fact I was six years sober when I decided to come out here, in fact just for a year and primarily to get married, as I met the woman of my dreams who happened to live and work here. Seven years later, and even more happily married to the same woman and with the addition of two kids, I'm now working here and I have progressively lessened my AA involvement. In effect I'm a loner but when I am in town I go to meetings and I still engage with other alkies on line etc.

I don't feel any temptation to drink. I need to be careful however and so I keep myself grounded, connected and in good spiritual order. I understand that one day I might find myself in a supermarket and a bottle may sparkle at me and tell me one drink would be ok and that I may well be powerless. A few days ago I saw a picture of a pint of real beer and it triggered something very uncomfortable in me.

I really wouldn't come out here until you feel strong in yourself and your recovery. There are many additional factors about life here that can become very challenging for folk in recovery. So tread carefully.

The only people I have met who have their drinking under control are not problem drinkers.

When there is a problem, the problem drinker will deny that he has a problem.

Then, he may look for an easy escape eg rehab.

Of course AA is pushed. Why? It works if you want it to work.

Sometimes, tough love is the way to care for the practicing alcoholic.

Aussienote many do drink themselves to death here same as everywhere else in the world. Most alcoholics die without recognising the problem. Alcoholism is not a phenomenon that exclusively targets people on skid row. It is in fact the ultimate equal opportunity experience. It certainly takes many into the gutter and the truth is few people actually get out of the gutter once they are there. So I salute the ones that do get off the street. They really are the miracles and most of them do it through AA.

Most alkies have homes, families and jobs in order to keep drinking. In the end I got rid of everything that was good in my life and while I wasn't on the street or park bench it would be fair to say I had brought the park bench into my squalid quarters on which I religiously paid the rent every month. I needed to get sober in my own space before I came out here and in fact I was six years sober when I decided to come out here, in fact just for a year and primarily to get married, as I met the woman of my dreams who happened to live and work here. Seven years later, and even more happily married to the same woman and with the addition of two kids, I'm now working here and I have progressively lessened my AA involvement. In effect I'm a loner but when I am in town I go to meetings and I still engage with other alkies on line etc.

I don't feel any temptation to drink. I need to be careful however and so I keep myself grounded, connected and in good spiritual order. I understand that one day I might find myself in a supermarket and a bottle may sparkle at me and tell me one drink would be ok and that I may well be powerless. A few days ago I saw a picture of a pint of real beer and it triggered something very uncomfortable in me.

I really wouldn't come out here until you feel strong in yourself and your recovery. There are many additional factors about life here that can become very challenging for folk in recovery. So tread carefully.

Thank you that's good advice and I appreciate it a lot.

I do think I've found a cure to alcoholism called the Sinclair method: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinclair_Method it's taken a few months but it seems to be removing the obsession thoughts of alcohol that I've been hearing in the the rooms that never goes away even after decades. I want to help others especially after 4 rehabs and years trying this over years. It certainly seems possible even though no professionals seem to want to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My advice? If you have a drinking problem, Thailand will remove just about every obstacle there is between you and a death by alcoholism.

Lots of people get sober here and stay sober here. I'm not sure I'd have been one of them because the support system here is very different and more difficult to get connected to than "back home" where there were hundreds of meetings to choose from each day, and dozens of close friends to hang out with between meeting. Here (BKK), it's a dozen meetings a week and most everyone (myself included) has a lot to do so it's tougher to stay connected other than a few meetings a week.

Also, i't easy to cop a resentment about the people in one meeting or another- it's normal. Back home, with hundreds of meetings a day to choose from- no big deal. Here, it can kill someone without a strong grounding in sobriety.

Use the search function on this sub forum to look for professional options- there are quite a few and I have no experience with any of them as AA worked fine for me, and I consider my sobriety to be strongly grounded. Because I know that I will walk to the airport and hop on a flight back home to my great support network before I'd pick up a drink. So far, it hasn't been necessary. Tomorrow? Probably not, but who knows?

Thanks impulse I appreciate the support. Having the option to fly home is a nice one to have especially having rehabs and a good medical system to go back to. ( What's that about first world problems hey? [emoji6])

I've been suicidal last time I was in Thailand from drinking and I had to call lifeline back home to get help as. There's not so much local help so never want to go back there again. I'll make sure I'm ready if I go back. Thanks again [emoji4]

The Sinclair Method may be a solution to get rid of the physical craving for alcohol.

BUT, after that, there is still a lot of work to do eg create a new life, new priorities, new daily timetable.

To me, that is where self-help groups come into play.

It goes back to the old adage - getting off the booze is OK; STAYING STOPPED is the supreme challenge.

The Sinclair Method may be a solution to get rid of the physical craving for alcohol.

BUT, after that, there is still a lot of work to do eg create a new life, new priorities, new daily timetable.

To me, that is where self-help groups come into play.

It goes back to the old adage - getting off the booze is OK; STAYING STOPPED is the supreme challenge.

Yes totally agree it takes work but it's nice to actually lose the craving fir alcohol. It seems to make the hangovers unbearable too and very little pleasant with drinking anymore. It's a weird experience.

I was looking for a song "One Day at a Time" but the Beach-boys - no luck.

There are many celebrities who joined the fellowship of AA. These dudes have a tough time being in the public eye. Nevertheless, many still make it.

If they can make it despite the odds, surely you can!

Or maybe the alternative route is for you ie a slow, painful & lonely DEATH.

I do think I've found a cure to alcoholism called the Sinclair method: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinclair_Method it's taken a few months but it seems to be removing the obsession thoughts of alcohol that I've been hearing in the the rooms that never goes away even after decades. I want to help others especially after 4 rehabs and years trying this over years. It certainly seems possible even though no professionals seem to want to help.

I have many many years and do not have a craving or even an idea to drink .

People that tell you they have obsession thoughts of alcohol after decades are certainly not following any of the suggestions in AA.

People might have a sudden thought about it once in a while but they are not obsessed with it. I will admit I have had three dreams about it. One I woke up with a hangover but never a desire to drink.

I hope the system you are working on works out for you. If not come back to AA and don't listen to those people with decades that have obsessive thinking about it. There are many of us who don't even give it a thought. Going to have a look at that system as I have never heard of it before. It might have some thing in it to help me improve my life.

In closing I would like to mention that in the forward to the first edition of the big book it say's We of Alcoholics Anonymous are a fellowship of 100 men and women who have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.

It does not say we are cured It is very specific about what they have recovered from. Obsessive thinking after decades is not recovery from a hopeless state of mind.

I have many many years and do not have a craving or even an idea to drink .

People that tell you they have obsession thoughts of alcohol after decades are certainly not following any of the suggestions in AA.

People might have a sudden thought about it once in a while but they are not obsessed with it. I will admit I have had three dreams about it. One I woke up with a hangover but never a desire to drink.

I hope the system you are working on works out for you. If not come back to AA and don't listen to those people with decades that have obsessive thinking about it. There are many of us who don't even give it a thought. Going to have a look at that system as I have never heard of it before. It might have some thing in it to help me improve my life.

In closing I would like to mention that in the forward to the first edition of the big book it say's We of Alcoholics Anonymous are a fellowship of 100 men and women who have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.

It does not say we are cured It is very specific about what they have recovered from. Obsessive thinking after decades is not recovery from a hopeless state of mind.

Very well said Big Carl. I remember being in a meeting when someone was talking about their discomfort about a drinking dream and asking what they could do about it and someone said to them to make sure they got as much down their necks as they could possibly manage! I've removed the expletives as appropriate for this forum but you can probably imagine, it brought the house down

Very well said Big Carl. I remember being in a meeting when someone was talking about their discomfort about a drinking dream and asking what they could do about it and someone said to them to make sure they got as much down their necks as they could possibly manage! I've removed the expletives as appropriate for this forum but you can probably imagine, it brought the house down

I have absolutely no craving for a drink, like I have no craving to stand up naked in front of a crowd and make a speech.

Yet I occasionally have dreams about both.

Still, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to forget to wear clothes next time I make a speech...

Archived