Chiang Mai Tefl Gamble

Oliver2524

Hi All,

I'm going to leave my present engineering job in the UK with the aim of teaching English for a few years in CM. But, as I don't have a work permit I'm worried about the Visa restrictions and I want to make sure I get a job in Chiang Mai. I have been emailing a few places but as of yet I have had no luck :D

I think my best option is to do a TEFL course to get teaching contacts. If anyone could make recommendations, or answer any of my questions it would be appreciated soooo much:

• Would schools or language centres supply you either with a work permit or a letter to obtain a 1 year visa?
    • What are the chances of getting and a work permit prior to coming to Thailand in December without a TEFL certificate? (but I have experience)

• If I do a TEFL course what are the chances of being able to gain emloyment within my 3 month visa window & would the provider of the TEFL course provide assistance?

• How long does a work permit take to process; any guesses?

• Are there any TEFL schools that guarantee a job after completion of the course within Chiang Mai?

• What are the chances of me either not finding a teaching job in CM (after working extremely hard!) or ending up having to leave Thailand because my 3 month window has expired?

Khop khun mak khrap to anyone who has taken the time to read my post :o

Hi All,

I'm going to leave my present engineering job in the UK with the aim of teaching English for a few years in CM. But, as I don't have a work permit I'm worried about the Visa restrictions and I want to make sure I get a job in Chiang Mai. I have been emailing a few places but as of yet I have had no luck :D

I think my best option is to do a TEFL course to get teaching contacts. If anyone could make recommendations, or answer any of my questions it would be appreciated soooo much:

• Would schools or language centres supply you either with a work permit or a letter to obtain a 1 year visa?
    • What are the chances of getting and a work permit prior to coming to Thailand in December without a TEFL certificate? (but I have experience)

• If I do a TEFL course what are the chances of being able to gain emloyment within my 3 month visa window & would the provider of the TEFL course provide assistance?

• Are there any TEFL schools that guarantee a job after completion of the course within Chiang Mai?

• What are the chances of me either not finding a teaching job in CM (after working extremely hard!) or ending up having to leave Thailand because my 3 month window has expired?

First, and most important, is to have a Bachelors in any field.

It is hard to get decent work in Chiang Mai - now is a good time - as the new school term starts at the end of next month. The next hiring window starts around February - for a May start.

Some courses find work - but as they know they are dealing with inexperienced teachers they don't find them the best paying positions.

If you are not bothered about the money too much at the start you can get work at CEC or NES - not great places, but good to make contacts and get experience.

Hope some of that helps.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

Hi All,

• Yes see next comment.

• Some schools will help you get a non-immigrant B visa, but you can't get a work permit until you actually have a job.

• Chances of finding work are very good, especially if you have a degree. BUT, CM is about the lowest paying location in all of Thailand. You will get better money in Bangkok or even country centres.

• Depends on how fast the school supplies the paperwork you need (if they bother at all). Guess, 3 months to 1 year.

Guarrantee? Not exactly. They may refer you to schools that enquire with them.

Chances are low of that happening if you are really motivated. Especially if you are prepared to take jobs outside Chiang Mai city.

PM me if you would like a contact name/number at one of the local TEFL schools.

Hi All,

• Yes see next comment.

• Some schools will help you get a non-immigrant B visa, but you can't get a work permit until you actually have a job.

• Chances of finding work are very good, especially if you have a degree. BUT, CM is about the lowest paying location in all of Thailand. You will get better money in Bangkok or even country centres.

• Depends on how fast the school supplies the paperwork you need (if they bother at all). Guess, 3 months to 1 year.

Guarrantee? Not exactly. They may refer you to schools that enquire with them.

Chances are low of that happening if you are really motivated. Especially if you are prepared to take jobs outside Chiang Mai city.

PM me if you would like a contact name/number at one of the local TEFL schools.

Avoid any school that will take a year to get a WP!!

It is hard to get decent work in Chiang Mai - now is a good time - as the new school term starts at the end of next month. The next hiring window starts around February - for a May start.

Some courses find work - but as they know they are dealing with inexperienced teachers they don't find them the best paying positions.

If you are not bothered about the money too much at the start you can get work at CEC or NES - not great places, but good to make contacts and get experience.

Hope some of that helps.

I have a BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering and I was a student mentor to international students for 2 years. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the places you mentioned. Much appreciated

Hope some of that helps.

I have a BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering and I was a student mentor to international students for 2 years. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the places you mentioned. Much appreciated

Do you know how much you can expect to make? If you can find a place offering over 30,000 a month then you are very lucky. With your qualifications and experience you might be able to find work at universities or technical colleges lecturing in engineering. The pay would be a lot better too!

Do you know how much you can expect to make? If you can find a place offering over 30,000 a month then you are very lucky. With your qualifications and experience you might be able to find work at universities or technical colleges lecturing in engineering. The pay would be a lot better too!

I'm hoping 20,000B or more per month, that about right .... isn't it?

I would love to lecture at an engineering or technical college, but I actually only graduated last year. I did an Advanced Modern Apprenticeship prior to university for 4 years, so I'm also a qualified welder, machinist, etc. I now work as a mechanical engineer for a multinational engineering consultancy group, but sadly they have no offices in CM, only Bangkok :o

If there are any places you think might be worth approaching I would love to hear about them :D

Many thanks

I'm hoping 20,000B or more per month, that about right .... isn't it?

I would love to lecture at an engineering or technical college, but I actually only graduated last year. I did an Advanced Modern Apprenticeship prior to university for 4 years, so I'm also a qualified welder, machinist, etc. I now work as a mechanical engineer for a multinational engineering consultancy group, but sadly they have no offices in CM, only Bangkok :o

If there are any places you think might be worth approaching I would love to hear about them :D

Many thanks

20,000 a month is a very poor wage and if you don't have second income/savings then you would not have much of a life. I make about 35,000 a month and I find that hard going.

You can find work if you think you'll be happy on a budget of 20,000 per month. And, if you have average luck and do a good interview, you can teach science or math (up to 16 year old level), and earn over 25K to 27K, and go up from there. You might have to commute a long way, though.

Agreeing with most of the posters here and in the teaching forum: no TEFL school can reasonably guarantee you a job, except maybe for the newest TEFL International contract (but I don't think they're in Chiang Mai). And, if you ever get a work permit, expect it to take three to 39 months, unless the local schools finally, finally get their act together to be a legal Thai school.

If you come in December, the new govt. school year begins in mid-March, but there are exceptions. You could always teach in a language school.

Moderator's note: usually you can't post the same request in two forums, so unless we have to merge all the replies into a single forum, let's try to keep the Chiang Mai forum for Chiang Mai details, and teaching details in the teaching forum. But it's good to get input from several viewpoints.

Taking the course in CMai would also get you some mates who are in the same boat, teaching EFL as newbies in northern Thailand.

I apolagise for breaching the forum rules. I have certainly found this forum confidence inspiring, hopefully I'll even get to meet up with some people some day and buy a beer Chang for your kindness.

Thanks for everybodies replies, it has been most helpful :o .

I have now had a few to my emails, although I haven't found anything as of yet, but I'll keep trying. It would be great to teach maths or science, I have a real passion to pass on knowledge and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity. I'm hoping to be coming over with about 250,000B that should see me ok for a while, I'm planning on paying about 5k a month for a room, a step up from the 2.5k I paid in April!

One thing I do still feel a little confused over is the visa issue. I'm unsure exactley how long I can stay in Thailand, I think I'll have to do some more research on that one. I want to make sure I'm in CM for Songran thats for sure. I have also spoken with the Dean of my old university and he said they may have some work for me developing relationships with other universities in Thailand, but I won't hold my breath.

I do have a question about PeaceBlodie's comment:

"And, if you ever get a work permit, expect it to take three to 39 months, unless the local schools finally, finally get their act together to be a legal Thai school."

How do these schools operate and retain good quality teaching staff, especially now those without work permits can only stay for 3 months (correct?)?

Thanks again all, much appreciated :D

One thing I do still feel a little confused over is the visa issue. I'm unsure exactley how long I can stay in Thailand, I think I'll have to do some more research on that one. I want to make sure I'm in CM for Songran thats for sure. I have also spoken with the Dean of my old university and he said they may have some work for me developing relationships with other universities in Thailand, but I won't hold my breath.

"And, if you ever get a work permit, expect it to take three to 39 months, unless the local schools finally, finally get their act together to be a legal Thai school."

How do these schools operate and retain good quality teaching staff, especially now those without work permits can only stay for 3 months (correct?)?

Thanks again all, much appreciated :o

Work permits from language schools are rare, but i think that will need to change now that it will be very difficult to employ teachers with just a 30-day stamp.

The large private schools (Montfort, Varee, Dara, Prince Royal's etc.) it's the norm for teachers to have wps. I was told that Dara employs 29 foreign teachers.

Government Schools and Vocational Colleges can obtain wps for you, but their admin departments are very Thai style (3 to 39 months) although I have have never heard of it taking more than 4 or 5 months.

Unis will all provide wps.

Quite a few teachers work in private schools (with wps) and then do extra hours in language schools in the evenings or on weekends.

Thanks again all, much appreciated :D

Work permits from language schools are rare, but i think that will need to change now that it will be very difficult to employ teachers with just a 30-day stamp.

The large private schools (Montfort, Varee, Dara, Prince Royal's etc.) it's the norm for teachers to have wps. I was told that Dara employs 29 foreign teachers.

Government Schools and Vocational Colleges can obtain wps for you, but their admin departments are very Thai style (3 to 39 months) although I have have never heard of it taking more than 4 or 5 months.

Unis will all provide wps.

Quite a few teachers work in private schools (with wps) and then do extra hours in language schools in the evenings or on weekends.

Dara will be employing more foreign teachers than that next year. :o

Sounds like I have my work cut out after I've got my TEFL thats for sure. Without gaining employment with an organisation that would provide me with the documentation needed to gain a WP I would be 'up the creek without a paddle' so to speak and turfed out on my ear in March :D

What do you think my chances are of finding a job in CM and being able to stay in the country .... legally that is, sounds like the odds could be stacked against me? A friend of a friend works at CEC, maybe I'll get lucky :o

Fingers crossed!

So, where do you guys work out of curiousity?