The British Embassy visit to Samui

Lite Beer

The British Embassy visit to Samui

Max-Murphys-300x200.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Mrs Jem Wild (Head of Engagement and Customer services) Mr Julian Blewitt (Vice Consul) & Miss Kanokwan Jiwtrakoon (Pro Consul) ,from the Consular section of the British Embassy in Bangkok visited Samui between Max MurphysWednesday 02nd and Friday 04th September 2015.

Consular officials visit the island frequently throughout the year as part of their ongoing duties (Prison visits etc) but on this occasion the team also enjoyed a full itinerary of meetings with local authorities, including Bangkok Airways,the Marine Police and the Tourist Authority of Thailand. On Thursday the Samui Times caught up with the team for lunch at Max Murphys along with Honorary Consul Dave Covey and his lovely wife Mook.

The team returned to Bangkok on Friday evening.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

Emergency Consular Assistance (24 hours)

For emergency assistance, such as in the event of the death, assault, arrest or hospitalisation of a British national, call the embassy on +66(0)23058333 and follow the instructions to be connected with consular officers. If you are calling from the UK about a British national in Thailand, call our Consular Assistance Team in London on +44(0)2070081500

Follow us

Connect with British Embassy Bangkok on Facebook
Connect with British Embassy Bangkok on Twitter
Connect with British Embassy Bangkok on Flickr
Connect with British Embassy Bangkok on YouTube

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-09-05

Alternatively, drop by Max Murphy's, buy a round, and then ask for help from informed locals of whatever nationality.

It was a nice trip. The scenery nice and the weather not too inclement. A nice lunch was enjoyed.

Made a change from sitting in the office.

Good as it gets.

I assume that this visit was paid for out of their own pockets? If not, did they cream it off the thousands of baht they take for NOT issuing visas to legitimate applicants?

To be fair...

1. The consular section is not responsible for processing visa.
  2. I understand 90% of visa applications are successful, many of those that fail are often due to the applicants (or their boy friends/partners) frailer to include all the documentation required, fail to complete the application correctly or grasp the basics of the requirements for the visas.

Help with with applying for visas can be found at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/25-visas-and-migration-to-other-countries/

Alternatively, drop by Max Murphy's, buy a round, and then ask for help from informed locals of whatever nationality.

It was a nice trip. The scenery nice and the weather not too inclement. A nice lunch was enjoyed.

Made a change from sitting in the office.

Good as it gets.

A suitably long winded report in perfect civil service speak sent to London describing the ' success ' ?

I assume that this visit was paid for out of their own pockets? If not, did they cream it off the thousands of baht they take for NOT issuing visas to legitimate applicants?

I get so angry just thinking about this scam

gee... that's fantastic for the British Embassy to have such a lovely time... why the hell has there been NO BRITISH EMBASSY REPRESENTATIVES AT THE APRIL 30th PRELIMINARY TRIAL OR ANY SESSIONS OF THE CURRENTLY ONGOING KOH TAO TRIAL OF THE MURDERS OF HANNAH WITHERIDGE AND DAVID MILLER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does an honorary British Consul do (apart, of course, from recommending a good place for lunch to visiting officials from Bangkok). The list of lawyers who have bribed their way onto the approved list is already on the embassy website. It is easy to find the nearest hospital. They have long been prevented from taking visa or passport applications. My understanding is that there is even an office. What on earth for?

gee... that's fantastic for the British Embassy to have such a lovely time... why the hell has there been NO BRITISH EMBASSY REPRESENTATIVES AT THE APRIL 30th PRELIMINARY TRIAL OR ANY SESSIONS OF THE CURRENTLY ONGOING KOH TAO TRIAL OF THE MURDERS OF HANNAH WITHERIDGE AND DAVID MILLER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

From personal experience, useless when really needed. Walking leaflets, spouting the same old jargon.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does an honorary British Consul do (apart, of course, from recommending a good place for lunch to visiting officials from Bangkok). The list of lawyers who have bribed their way onto the approved list is already on the embassy website. It is easy to find the nearest hospital. They have long been prevented from taking visa or passport applications. My understanding is that there is even an office. What on earth for?

For your information the British Consul on this island does a great job helping any British subject that takes the time to call him. He has been of help to me on a number of occasions.

For your information the British Consul on this island does a great job helping any British subject that takes the time to call him. He has been of help to me on a number of occasions.

Indeed he does and for scant reward....oh and carmine we are citizens nowadays....I know its a long time since you hung up your briefcase and brolly! biggrin.png

I have known the Hon British Consul on Samui for ongoing 10 years now. He works on a purely voluntary basis (ie unpaid for the uninitiated) and does a hell of a lot of work for Brits on the Island. He is of course limited in what he can and cannot do, but that is because of the edicts issued by the Foreign Office which are passed through The British Embassador in Bangkok, or by his Staff on his behalf. Sadly, most of the "discontented on here" are those who do not have a clue what the duties are of an Embassy. Instead of ranting with very little knowledge, I would suggest you do a bit of reading to educate yourself. It is also a bit thoughtless to expect Senior Staff to sit in Bangkok and not have a feel for what is going on in the Country and to hear the views of the British Subjects resident in Thailand.

What the hell is a "Head of Engagement and Customer Services?" Sounds like someone who works for the local council at £50,000 p.a. without anyone knowing what the the job entails. Or maybe it is the current euphanism for a cultural attache, and she has a good old Walther PPK secreted about her person. Happy knowing my UK taxes are paying for their jollies.

Bet he loves getting your phone calls. Many of us live here for years without needing Consular assistance.

Bet he loves getting your phone calls. Many of us live here for years without needing Consular assistance.

Bored are we?

Archived