'Debt-ridden' Austrian 53, found hanged in Phuket apartment parking lot

Lite Beer

I just dont understand why some people are so desperate to remain here, even up to the very last stages of desperation.

Even if you dont have family who can help pick you up, surely theres some kind of welfare help or safety net available that one can rely on in Australia?

One has to get to Oz first.I'd rather be skint here than Oz.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very sad.

There was a comment made on why didn't he turn to family. Perhaps he did and they tried to set him straight.

It is sad but I have known of so many people who have taken their life in Thailand. It always relates to running out of money.

I just dont understand why some people are so desperate to remain here, even up to the very last stages of desperation.

Even if you dont have family who can help pick you up, surely theres some kind of welfare help or safety net available that one can rely on in Australia?

The Australiam Embassy is geared up to help people in trouble and do. Maybe more in it or his thought processes were incapable of handling the situation. RIP

RIP....so sad that he had no friends or family to turn to for at least some moral support etc. On the other note...soory for this comment....but bloody hell.....the thai authorities and immigartion should get strict and make sure that expats tourists coming here hhave sufficient funds....expats of working or retirement visas should be checked on a monthly basis about their finacial status etc or else deported....sick of many places in Pattaya and now Phuket, Bangko and Chiangmai that is haunted by farang ghosts especially those freefalling ones!

RIP. Phuket is the most expensive place to live in Thailand. Too bad he couldn't find or didn't want to find other options.

Also, just tough times here now. Tourism market has shriveled to the "zero baht" mass market tourists along with poor exchange rates for many of the tourists we used to have ten years ago.

RIP

But there are crushing masses of Chinese tourists now, who don't just sit in their tour buses. They get out in groups of 10-12 and actually buy things (mostly any food that can pass for quasi-Chinese, but still).

Many first world countries are debt ridden holes that few can come out off. Everything runs on Credit in western world. The so called Safety Net is mere survival to breathe oxygen in and out of your lungs in first world countries.

He made all the right choice, sadly, the timing gave it away...luck was not on his side...Do not blame him..Western countries are not heaven that many people make it out here...sure, it better than third world countries but still you have to pay your bills to survive sanely in developed countries..No easy ride anywhere

Isn't that the trouble with humanity ? There is no natural selection anymore. The social safety net , medicine,...everyone survives, even the one that shouldn't ,

because of their decisions (intellect ) or bad DNA.

If an animal can't get food in the wild , it dies of hunger. If a plant can't get water/light/nutriants , it dies.

When people have no means of supporting themselves , they die. Natural selection. And yes , it should still be applicable to humans in this day and age.

And no I'm not trolling here , just so tired of the bleeding heart responces here.

Isn't that the trouble with humanity ? There is no natural selection anymore. The social safety net , medicine,...everyone survives, even the one that shouldn't ,

If an animal can't get food in the wild , it dies of hunger. If a plant can't get water/light/nutriants , it dies.

When people have no means of supporting themselves , they die. Natural selection. And yes , it should still be applicable to humans in this day and age.

And no I'm not trolling here , just so tired of the bleeding heart responces here.

very disgusting comment. Show some respect to the desperate (out of whatever reason) and more so to his family members who might read here as well.

RIP, it's a sad tragedy.

It makes me sad.

53 and no options.

R.I.P.

While this is very sad, he did have options. He could have gone back to his home country and got a job. For some reason, many farangs refuse to take that option. I know a couple that are in desperate situations, yet refuse point blank to even think about going home to sort themselves out. Their choice though.

There is no option in first world countries....Only Safety Net, which you can survive on NOT LIVE...its very hard to get a job in first world countries that a HUMAN BEING DESERVES..not flip the burgers back home.

First world countries are only Marginally better than Thailand...Sure, hand outs, least corruption and all..BUT still Human Beings are much larger than that...They Need LIFE STYLE...Not Hand Outs..

We need women, we need to go out during the weekend and not pay 7 dollars for a beer, We need to eat few times a week outside, we need to be happy, go out on a swim, make friends, get drunk sometimes, eat fruits, eat fish, watch movies...

Six months in Thailand gives you a LIFE you dream off that first world countries cannot provide in 20 years.

You cannot fool people with Hand outs and Job anymore to breathe...WE NEED LIFE...

He chose business, unfortunately, it did not work out..he lived his LIFE till he stayed in Thailand, I would have done the same

RIP....so sad that he had no friends or family to turn to for at least some moral support etc. On the other note...soory for this comment....but bloody hell.....the thai authorities and immigartion should get strict and make sure that expats tourists coming here hhave sufficient funds....expats of working or retirement visas should be checked on a monthly basis about their finacial status etc or else deported....sick of many places in Pattaya and now Phuket, Bangko and Chiangmai that is haunted by farang ghosts especially those freefalling ones!

Are you being serious ?

Immigration checking people's financial status on a monthly basis ?

Turning up for work and extending a valid visa for 90 days is more than enough work for them for the day, now you expect them to be accountants too !

What is this for a stupid comment!? Have a little bit respect for the death.

RIP

I'm not Phuket bashing but why is it that when folk take the final big trip it is Phuket or Pattaya that seem to come up most. Is it because the one who decides to leave this world are surrounded with happier folk who seem to survive ok . Did this chap go to Phuket as that is where you are surrounded by other expats ? This is the saddest thing I will likely read all week. I had a pal who did the same thing in 1977 , left all his things at work neat and tidy ,before this he went to work on the train carrying a rope over his shoulder , after work on the Friday he went to Epping Forest and did the final act , rope over a tree branch and a note in his pocket. His friends never got completely over it. Occasionally ,like today it all comes back , very sad.

I don't know about Austrailia but If you have been overseas and enter the UK ( British Citizen ) Then you have to wait 3 months to claim benefits ( if you have paid zero National Insurance Contributions ) and it will do no good turning up at the local council housing office either looking " slightly rough with no sleep " dragging your suitcase behind you.The council told me that they are legally not allowed to help and can only offer a blanket ( on loan ) and if i had no money and no where to stay then i could become " Homeless ".The lady ( very Prisoner Cell Block H.... ) told me that they will look after families with small children first and unless you are ill then you will be sleeping on the side of the road snuggling up in your new council blanket.

Farang Jaidee sad.png

I don't know about Austrailia but If you have been overseas and enter the UK ( British Citizen ) Then you have to wait 3 months to claim benefits ( if you have paid zero National Insurance Contributions ) and it will do no good turning up at the local council housing office either looking " slightly rough with no sleep " dragging your suitcase behind you.The council told me that they are legally not allowed to help and can only offer a blanket ( on loan ) and if i had no money and no where to stay then i could become " Homeless ".The lady ( very Prisoner Cell Block H.... ) told me that they will look after families with small children first and unless you are ill then you will be sleeping on the side of the road snuggling up in your new council blanket.

Farang Jaidee sad.png

Being me and always suspicious I would have dusted the beer bottles for prints to see who else had handled them. Perhaps he was hung by a disgruntled person he owed money to.

Do the police in your country dust the beer bottles or glasses for print in an apparent suicide??

This may come as a shock on TV detectives, but suicide among farangs do happen here.

RIP to the poor guy.

An Austrian found dead in Phuket
The Nation

PHUKET: -- Edhchfer Walter, 53, was found dead in the parking lot of an apartment in Phuket.

According to police investigation, the Austrian national hung himself with nylon rope. He had rented a room for years and lived alone. There was no trace of fighting in the room, where a note to his son and money for the September rent was found.

Police initially suspected he committed suicide because of stress, as he usually told villagers nearby about his financial hardships.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/An-Austrian-found-dead-in-Phuket-30268260.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

...this is 'the bottom line'...today....

...who is to say how much money passed through his hands....if he was once successful....

...when the money flows, one is surrounded by friends....when it stops....one is completely alone...

...whatever gifts given...good deeds done...all forgotten....

...RIP...condolences to his son and other loved ones...

...but where were they...are they all...

Archived