Huge fireball spotted in North of Bangkok

webfact

.... early tests show that it comes from Myanmar, said Colonel Somchai. He added that Kanchanaburi was a hub of meteorites....

I wish people would stop talking in the Metric System and go back to Yards, Feet, and Inches, so an old guy can understand them better.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bright light believed to be meteor spotted across Bangkok sky

BANGKOK, 7 September 2015 (NNT) A fireball meteor was spotted streaking across the sky in Bangkok Monday morning.

According to a report, an unidentified object believed to be a meteor or a meteorite flew past the sky in the capital. Witnesses said it was coming from the northern part of Bangkok.

The exact nature of the object is not yet known, but it could be seen glowing brightly as it made its way through the sky before disappearing.

A meteor is the light phenomenon which results when a meteoroid (small particle from a comet or asteroid orbiting the Sun) enters the Earth's atmosphere and vaporizes. It is more commonly referred to as a "shooting star".

A meteorite, meanwhile, is a meteoroid that survives its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and lands upon the Earth's surface.

At this point, it is still unclear if the meteor became a meteorite.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-09-07 footer_n.gif

If people in kanchanaburi say they heard an explosion something must have hit the ground this morning

Not necessarily, there would be a large shock wave as it compresses the atmosphere plus the thermal expansion of the air. Think lightning/thunder, similar principle regarding super heated air.

Astrologers are not astrophysicists or astronomer. Astrologers are people who say you will be lucky or unlucky and or might win the lottery. Astronomers on the other hand will say this or that asteroid is going to wipe out life on this planet.

Yes we know, but we are talking about JS 100 Radio Station here, and perhaps that's all they find at short notice being in such plentiful supply vs the other kind?

Huh?? Too much technology has apparently rendered your writing oblique and muddled at best.

the bright flash was probably it burning up when it hit the atmosphere, I doubt there will be much left to find, good luck finding something the size of a pea to possibly a golf ball

Just look for a new crater. Meteorites have been found before you know. And now with all the videos, it may be easier to pinpoint one.

But if there's someone with military background- could it be a failed rocket?

i saw it from Jomtien, or maybe it was another one. Heading Northwest and going down 45 degrees to horizon. No smoke, just a long thin trail of flame burning blue (like an oxy-acetelene torch) at the head.i thought it might have been a flare but was going too fast for that. Probably about 2 or 3 seconds before it disappeared behind a building.

did you go and investigate behind the building :)

Could possibly have been space junk,

i.e the remains of an old satellite or rocket parts?

But NASA usually tracks and reports any large objects likely to cause damage on the ground.

It would be interesting to see video taken from other provinces to see what the angle of approach was and the direction it was headed.

All depends on the position of the viewer. (see previous reports)

In Bangkok it appears to be almost 90 degrees but from another viewpoint it could have been much less than 90 degrees.

Meteorites approaching the earth at 90 degrees usually burn up in the upper atmosphere or way before they become visible.

So if this one was entering the atmosphere at about 90 degrees then it must have been fairly large to have penetrated so far before burning up and/or exploding.

Imagine getting hit by one of these objects while you're in passenger jet at 30,000 ft ?

Meteorites never approach earth at any angle. They have already landed.

Imagine if the meteorite was in fact an extraterrestrial scout vessel sent to greet mankind.

"People of earth we come in BLAAAM!"as the Alien ambassador's party gets wiped out by a speeding siplor whose " brakes failed".

What's the betting it was a piece of satellite or similar debris - space junk?

I've seen this stuff burn up before in Western Australia. Brilliant blues and greens as the various metals vapourised.

I've seen this stuff burn up before in Western Australia. Brilliant blues and greens as the various metals vapourised.

Actually, I thought I saw red and a little bit of blue in the smoke when it was really low in the sky.

Actually, I thought I saw red and a little bit of blue in the smoke when it was really low in the sky.

See my post on page 2 of this thread.

Mysterious fireball falls through the sky in downtown Bangkok
BY VICTORIA HO

BANGKOK: -- A fireball in the sky over Bangkok has ignited speculation over whether it's a shooting star, exploding aircraft or falling meteor.

In a YouTube video, the burning object is shown falling with a bright streak and blazing up into a larger ball before disappearing.

Reports say it was spotted around rush hour at 8:40 a.m. ICT on Monday.

The video poster, Porjai Jaturongkhakun, said he saw a trail of smoke following the fireball as it fell.

The video was posted from the Nonthaburi area in Thailand.

Full story http://mashable.com/2015/09/07/fireball-sky-downtown-bangkok/

-- Mashable 2015-09-07

Mysterious ball of flames streaks through sky and shocks locals in Thailand

SYDNEY: -- A mysterious bright, flaming fireball has been seen over parts of Thailand with locals scrambling to work out just what the object was.

Video taken at 8.40am local time shows the fireball streaking through the sky before suddenly glowing brightly and disappearing past the horizon.

The Bangkok Post reported an official from the Bangkok Planetarium as saying there were no reports of a meteor crashing into Earth.

He said if a meteor was to crash into earth it would probably be noticed, as most burn up in the atmosphere.

The same official suggested what was seen could be a burning balloon.

Dr Alan Duffy of Swinburne University of Technology told 9news.com.au

-- 9NEWS 2015-09-07

Archived