Savannakhet visa

Just did a visa trip to Savannakhet (for 1 year non-o based on marriage) and thought I'd share a couple of observations/tips. The application process itself is well covered in this forum already so I will not repeat it.

- I can really recommend the Ploy Palace Hotel in Mukdahan. We spent one night there after arriving from Sakhon Nakhon with the Nok Air fly n' ride service. Paid abt 1200 Baht on Agoda for a really nice room. They also have a swimming pool.

- The next morning we wanted to book a taxi to the border through the hotel (120 Baht in a proper car) but the car was busy so ended paying more for a trip in a tuk-tuk, As it was pouring down that wasn't very comfortable. Lesson learned; book a taxi the day before.

-The border crossing went pretty smoothly but for the fact that they had run out of visa stickers on the Laos side. As the consulate will not receive applications after 1100 hrs this had me worried. Luckily I was at the border early so the 25 min wait still had me at the consulate at 0945 hrs. Lesson learned; be at the border at 0800 hrs.

-In Savannakhet we stayed at the Avalon Residence. I paid 800 Baht so reasonable value for money but the room was at the absolute lower end of what I find acceptable. If you book there make sure you don’t get the rooms facing the road on the 5th or 4th floor (especially 5th) as the water pump for the hotel is located just outside the window of the 5th floor room. I complained and was given an enormous suite (standard rooms full) on the 4th floor but it was still noisy. Note also that their elevator is broken (and has been for a month).

Savannakhet is dead as a door nail after 1700 hrs but we did find one restaurant that was open until midnight(ish). It’s called Homfa and is right next to the old market. Cold Beerlao for 40 Baht for a big bottle and some pretty standard food dishes. They had live music and are obviously very popular with the young crowd as the place was full of people in their twenties.

An interesting tidbit of information the wife got from our taxi driver going back to the consulate. According to him the reason they ended the same day visa processing was because of pressure from Laotian authorities. Apparently the tourism sector took a big hit when people were able to return to Thailand the same day.

No idea if this is true of course.

• Like 1

the reason they ended the same day visa processing was because of pressure from Laotian authorities. Apparently the tourism sector took a big hit when people were able to return to Thailand the same day.

Absolutely.

Why do you think they do double entries TR visas?

If they stop, 2/3 of Laos hotels and restaurants go bankrupt

Also Vientiane started to lose customers when Sava was on same day processing.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

I cannot get same day processing in my home country ...au. Why should it be different at consulates at border crossings. At times there are many many applicants in the morning. Take Vientiane for example. Could be 100 maybe more. The folk accepting paperwork are just clerks. All the applications go up the food chain.

So you want them back when. In the arvo. Give me a break. Next day is excellent turn around. More theories about how immigration works. Hells bells.

According to him (taxi driver) .....I will stop there.

Oh wait. ....I heard someone say that they heard from a friends friend....who thinks ...

Geezus

You really shouldn't post before getting your morning coffee as you come across as a grumpy old git (of course, that might be the personality you're born with).

• Like 2

Hello,

When I last went through the Lao border at Savannakhet, the visa office was

closed 1hour for lunch.

I don't mind spending a night or two in Vientiane but there's nothing to be seen

in Savannakhet where I have nothing to do but enjoy Beerlao.

• 1 month later...

I want to go to Savannakhet again for a non O multiple entry based on marriage with child. We plan this for mid November. I went 2 years ago to the old consulate. I had a good time and enjoyed my stay. I have a few questions since things may have changed in the last 2 years. I am 59 years old and will be travelling with my Thai wife. We have been married for 10 years. I am a US citizen.

1. Can I now drive my Thai registered vehicle to the consulate on the Laos side of the border?

2. If not, is there a safe place to park on the Thai side, or should I leave the pickup in town and ride the bus to the Laos side of the border?

3. How much do I pay for the Laos entry visa in US$? How much will my wife have to pay?

4. Do I have to stay overnight? If so, are there some nice hotels to recommend near the consulate? Are there any new hotels? Maybe with a pool and a nice restaurant?

5. How much do I pay now for the non O based on family multiple entry visa?

6. Do I have to show money in a Thai bank? 2 years ago, I did not have to show any money in a Thai bank or any bank. This is important because I keep my money in my US bank account and only what I need in my Thai bank.

I am driving my truck from Phuket so I was wondering if there were any other Thai consulates in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Burma where I can go for this visa without having to show Financials in a Thai Bank.

I promise a good report to Thai Visa when I come back.

I want to go to Savannakhet again for a non O multiple entry based on marriage with child. We plan this for mid November. I went 2 years ago to the old consulate. I had a good time and enjoyed my stay. I have a few questions since things may have changed in the last 2 years. I am 59 years old and will be travelling with my Thai wife. We have been married for 10 years. I am a US citizen.

1. Can I now drive my Thai registered vehicle to the consulate on the Laos side of the border?

2. If not, is there a safe place to park on the Thai side, or should I leave the pickup in town and ride the bus to the Laos side of the border?

3. How much do I pay for the Laos entry visa in US$? How much will my wife have to pay?

4. Do I have to stay overnight? If so, are there some nice hotels to recommend near the consulate? Are there any new hotels? Maybe with a pool and a nice restaurant?

5. How much do I pay now for the non O based on family multiple entry visa?

6. Do I have to show money in a Thai bank? 2 years ago, I did not have to show any money in a Thai bank or any bank. This is important because I keep my money in my US bank account and only what I need in my Thai bank.

I am driving my truck from Phuket so I was wondering if there were any other Thai consulates in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia or Burma where I can go for this visa without having to show Financials in a Thai Bank.

I promise a good report to Thai Visa when I come back.

1. Yes if is not financed and you have a passport it obtained from the department of land transport.

2. There is secure parking on the left side just before the gates for the bridge.

3. You will pay $35 for the Lao visa on arrival. If your wife has a Thai passport she will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. If not she will need to get a border pass that costs about 50 baht..

4. Yes you need to stay overnight to pickup your passport the next afternoon the day after applying by 11 am.

5. 5000 baht

6. Financial proof is not required to get the visa.

Penang Malaysia will do a multiple entry non-o if you can show at least the equivalent of 100k baht. They will accept non Thai bank accounts or proof of income.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am planning to go to Laos this time home as my retirement visa will have ran out when I arrive on the 3rd of January.

I have not long ago remarried, so I will try and get the non-o based on my marriage this time.

Is this correct for the documents that I will require to show, I can show money in bank so that is not a problem although they say it is not required at Savannakhet.

Passport,

bank book if asked for,

Application form,

Wife's ID card in my name, copy signed and dated by my wife,

Marriage certificate original, copy dated and signed by my wife,

I have daughter from my previous Thai marriage, so birth certificate, I also have joint custody of my daughter so I can show divorce agreement.

If my wife is not coming with me, is it better to take a letter from my wife dated and signed for stating the reason why I require the non-o multi visa based on marriage.

Letter confirming my residence in Thailand which I have,

Copy of the house book which my wife is registered in, my wife is registered in her sisters house book her name in the book is not in my name? will this be ok or does she need to change her name in the book before I go, at the moment we are in the process of buying a house and I am renting at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any information on what I require for the application.

If you have the financial proof you can apply for an extension. To do that you will only need a single entry non-o visa.

You will only need the following.

Marriage certificate plus a copy. Best if both of you sign the copy or just you is OK since your name is on it.

Signed and dated copies your wife's house book registry and ID card. The name in the registry will not matter.

Hello Ubonjoe,

I have thought about doing it this way, I work offshore so how long does this take to do as I work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off.

I would still need to go to Laos to get the single entry anyway as I will arrive this time on a visa exempt.

Thanks in advance

Edited by geordie

Hello Ubonjoe,

I have thought about doing it this way, I work offshore so how long does this take to do as I work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off.

I would still need to go to Laos to get the single entry anyway as I will arrive this time on a visa exempt.

Thanks in advance

In your case I suggest you get the multiple entry non-o.

The problem is timing the extension application at the end of the 90 days and even more so for the next one. Also the 6 weeks here might not be enough time because of the 30 day under consideration period after you apply.

Hello I have had two double entries, from Vientiane, one part not used but expired I got another single entry in savannakhet and got an extension, I didn't expect to be in Thailand this long but decided to stay on as my work is on the Internet and I can do this anywhere in the world and the timing for it is great here, I'm wondering If I could obtain another single entry? Im Thinking of going to Cambodia for a week or so, Can I get a single entry in phnom penh I have proof of transferred funds over 700,000 Baht which I spent in my time here so far, Would I have hassle obtaining another single entry tourist Visa?

Hi Ubonjoe,

that's exactly what I was thinking.

What I think I need to apply for the Non-O based on marriage at Savannakhet, is this correct of do I need anything else.

Regards Geordie

Your list of documents was a lot more than is needed.

In my first reply I gave you what is needed besides your passport and copies of it. You can take the others but do not attach them to your application unless asked for them.

• 5 weeks later...

Im pakistani national and im married to thai girl and i got non immigrant type O multiple entry which will expire on april i read a lot of peoples saying about laos savannakhet so i wonder is it possible for me to renew my non immigrant type O multiple entry visa ? Im i but nervous bcz im pakistani and i was thinking savannakhet might only allow to renew for us cizitens or canada etc pls advice

Im pakistani national and im married to thai girl and i got non immigrant type O multiple entry which will expire on april i read a lot of peoples saying about laos savannakhet so i wonder is it possible for me to renew my non immigrant type O multiple entry visa ? Im i but nervous bcz im pakistani and i was thinking savannakhet might only allow to renew for us cizitens or canada etc pls advice

My reply in another topic is here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/881699-savanakhet-visa-for-non-o-latest-requirements-are-their-any-new-ones/#entry10258171

Making several posts in various topics is not needed.

• 1 month later...

Hi just finishing 2 years of work in Chiang Mai, will be looking for new work but in the short term need to redo my visa 3 days after I finish work. I have a non Imm B visa and work permit (which will expire). I am married to a Thai woman and we have a house (in her name) in C M.

As I understand it, the best thing is to go to Savannakhet, change to a 1 year "O" Visa based on marriage and I don't need to show funds in the bank.

Can someone please tell me EXACTLY what I need to take with me (my wife is not able to come) eg passport, marriage cert etc.......AND the best and easiest way to do (I will probably drive from C M)....

Also, is there any reason why I can't do this in Vientienne? Thanks

Hi just finishing 2 years of work in Chiang Mai, will be looking for new work but in the short term need to redo my visa 3 days after I finish work. I have a non Imm B visa and work permit (which will expire). I am married to a Thai woman and we have a house (in her name) in C M.

As I understand it, the best thing is to go to Savannakhet, change to a 1 year "O" Visa based on marriage and I don't need to show funds in the bank.

Can someone please tell me EXACTLY what I need to take with me (my wife is not able to come) eg passport, marriage cert etc.......AND the best and easiest way to do (I will probably drive from C M)....

Also, is there any reason why I can't do this in Vientienne? Thanks

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage In Savannakhet that will allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year with no financial proof needed.

You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Vientiane does not do multiple entry visas.

• 2 months later...

I've just got my multiple non-o based on marriage from Savannaket (27/03/16) and it's the same process as always. However 2 interesting things occurred during my latest trip.

First, when leaving for my trip I couldn't find my photos ... Didn't seem to mind as I remembered a ramshackle hut next to the Thai embassy in Laos that could knock me up a couple of passport photos. BIG mistake! I exited Thailand and arrived at the Laos border (on the bus across the friendship bridge) only to need a photo for my Laos entry visa. I didnt have one. My mind pictured me having to reboard the bus, re-enter Thailand find a Kodak shop, return to Laos and try to get to the embassy before 11am. Massive panic for about 15 minutes before I sheepishly approached the immigration officer and explained my situation. No problem he took a photocopy of my passport instead. panic over.

Arrive at the embassy and head to the ramshackle hut to get some photos. (It's now opposite the embassy instead of next to it) and the owner started helping me fill out my form. He then asked me if I wanted a 'same day visa' and that he could 'help'. Unfortunately I had already booked and paid for a room in Savannaket for the night so I politely declined. I didn't enquirer as to how much his 'help' would cost but I would have certainly been interested as there is nothing to do in Savannaket except get drunk and wait for your visa.

Anyway everything worked out ok, visa is fine. Good luck in the Land of Smiles

• 1 month later...

I've just got my multiple non-o based on marriage from Savannaket (27/03/16) and it's the same process as always. However 2 interesting things occurred during my latest trip.

First, when leaving for my trip I couldn't find my photos ... Didn't seem to mind as I remembered a ramshackle hut next to the Thai embassy in Laos that could knock me up a couple of passport photos. BIG mistake! I exited Thailand and arrived at the Laos border (on the bus across the friendship bridge) only to need a photo for my Laos entry visa. I didnt have one. My mind pictured me having to reboard the bus, re-enter Thailand find a Kodak shop, return to Laos and try to get to the embassy before 11am. Massive panic for about 15 minutes before I sheepishly approached the immigration officer and explained my situation. No problem he took a photocopy of my passport instead. panic over.

Arrive at the embassy and head to the ramshackle hut to get some photos. (It's now opposite the embassy instead of next to it) and the owner started helping me fill out my form. He then asked me if I wanted a 'same day visa' and that he could 'help'. Unfortunately I had already booked and paid for a room in Savannaket for the night so I politely declined. I didn't enquirer as to how much his 'help' would cost but I would have certainly been interested as there is nothing to do in Savannaket except get drunk and wait for your visa.

Anyway everything worked out ok, visa is fine. Good luck in the Land of Smiles

good to hear that they can help you get same day service (even though i literally booked my hotel)

but i will see how much they want for same day service next week

i dont mind paying for hotel for just a few hours if it means i can get back a day earlier

Hello all,

I'm thinking about getting my Non-O (marriage) visa in Savannakhet. I'm a Canadian citizen and would like to know if I'm able to get a visa on arrival at the ZVK airport? I'm in Thailand now and would fly BKK-ZVK-BKK some time near the end of June. Has anyone done a visa on arrival in ZVK? What documentation would I need if I'm able to do so?

Thank you for your help.

Hello all,

I'm thinking about getting my Non-O (marriage) visa in Savannakhet. I'm a Canadian citizen and would like to know if I'm able to get a visa on arrival at the ZVK airport? I'm in Thailand now and would fly BKK-ZVK-BKK some time near the end of June. Has anyone done a visa on arrival in ZVK? What documentation would I need if I'm able to do so?

Thank you for your help.

You can get a Lao visa on arrival at the airport in Savannakhet. Nothing is required other than your passport, application form with one photo attached and $42 US for the fee.

Going direct to Savannakhet is not the only option to get there by air. Nok Air (several options) and Air Asia offer a fly/ride service to Mukdahan where you can then take the bus across the bridge to Savannakhet

Hello all,

Thank you for your help.

You can get a Lao visa on arrival at the airport in Savannakhet. Nothing is required other than your passport, application form with one photo attached and $42 US for the fee.

Going direct to Savannakhet is not the only option to get there by air. Nok Air (several options) and Air Asia offer a fly/ride service to Mukdahan where you can then take the bus across the bridge to Savannakhet

Thank you very much for the info... I'll check out Nok and AA too (didn't know about those options). Cheers