New Airport Internet Cafes To Charge 500 Baht/hour

george

It is a stated intention that the opening of Suvanapum is intended to steal regional business from Singapore's Changi. While Changi's shopping appeal has become lacklustre in recent years, it is still one of the finest airport experiences in the world. One of my favourite touches is upon clearing outbound immigation (thru which you must carry your handbaggage) there is a person waiting to supply a handbaggage cart on the other side. The entire process of traveling is a model of efficiency and comfort.

Contrast this to the anticipated shrinking of passenger space as more coridoor and lounge area is sold for retailing, to the point that you cant push a trolley thru it. Rarely at Changi does one have to even wait for use of the free internet terminals in the concourse, they even have 2 terminals now in all the boarding gates. It shall be interesting to see what a b0ll0x they make of their 3 billion dollar masterpiece......

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way To Go,

Keep in mind... When the traveling farange come to the new airport and...

It does not meet their expectations and...

Transportation to and from the airport is not what it was at Don Muang and...

They get "gouged" on everything from a candy bar to the internet...

Don't hold your breath for the return trip...

Couldn't agree more. Gouge, gouge, gouge.

Trying to be a regional hub? Trying to be better than Changi - yeah right dream on.

Sorry folks, this is just typical, nearly every other international airport in the region has free wifi - especially in the business class lounges.

Doesn't faze me, I mostly fly business, but really if Thailand wants to compete, just visit Changi and look at the services like railway that is actually open, ordinary taxi at the terminal door (that will without exception use the meter), free wifi throughout the airport, and the list goes on.

Thailand, you can SAY you want to compete, but neither Thai airways or Suvarnabhumi comes even close to SIA and Changi for service.

Time will tell.....................................

I use a program called Mail Express Pro which turns my laptop into its own server.

All I do then is use my AIS post paid account and I get 120 hours for 350 baht. That means I could get 170 hours on my pc for 5oo baht.

Very useful info for those wanting to use Internet on laptops at airport or elsewhere. Can you give us more info about on how to get up and running with this program?

Re rule limiting mark ups at airport to more than 125% of price outside for non-duty free goods. Don Muang has allowed price gauging on duty free goods for years. Price of wine is a lot more than buying it with 400%+ duty paid at Villa and various other outlets in the city. They rely on people not knowing the correct price of wine due to the many different labels and vintages to overcharge, while charging competitive prices on spirits to lull the wary into believing everything is at a good price. This is like bait and switch on cameras and sucks in an international airport - the final sting for departing tourists to find their "duty free" wine is a lot cheaper in their local supermarket.

Actually you can get 200 hours GPRS with AIS for 500 baht (on the prepay sim cards anyway - not sure about contract). As for how to get up and running, just fill up the balance you need and call the callcenter 1175 and ask them to connect you. They have several packages available, PM me for details as I'm not marketing for them!

TOT banks on Suvarnabhumi connectivity

Customers will be charged 500 baht an hour for internet access, with a minimum charge of 100 baht. International calling charges will follow normal TOT rates.

--TNA 2006-09-26

Most internet shops are 1-3 baht/minute (60-180 baht/hour). These guys are proposing a rate of over 8 baht/minute. Cripes! Does that include electicity (plentiful outlets to plug into)? Seems to be well above the stated 125% price cap on goods and services at the airport.

Don't forget, to get an hour's internet access with TOT, it might take 4 hours on line :o

500 bt.. this has got to be some kind of joke - testing to see if it works.

i bet ya, they lower it when they see that no sucker is using it.......

500 bt. i have to go off here now i cannot stop laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is bizarre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the land of smiles :o

500 bt.. this has got to be some kind of joke - testing to see if it works.

i bet ya, they lower it when they see that no sucker is using it.......

500 bt. i have to go off here now i cannot stop laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is bizarre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the land of smiles :o

like in plans it is too expensive so travelers are not using it and the company have to close that business with a big lose

500 baht an hour? where in the f do they think this is? that is like los angeles airport internet fees...this is fricking thailand...2nd world country.....should be like 10 baht an hour...look at where we are...a place where that the average person makes like 140 a month or so.....just never understood why things are so expensive here...since this is barely over third world...i was flabergasted at the increase in price at kfc at the old airport....5 us dollars for a set...ridiculous...hel_l...korea is loads more expensive than thailand in 90 percent of everything you would encounter, but the prices at airport for mcdonalds or kfc is same as if you bought outside of the airport...and the internet is cheaper there...why the f would anyone pay 500 baht an hour for internet at the airport? hel_l...japan is even cheaper at airport i believe...fricking exploitive bastards...no wonder why i have heard tourists saying they are leaving here and finding the new big travel spot...for a poverty stricken country the prices sure do not reflect its environment

500 baht an hour? where in the f do they think this is? that is like los angeles airport internet fees...this is fricking thailand...2nd world country.....should be like 10 baht an hour...look at where we are...a place where that the average person makes like 140 a month or so.....just never understood why things are so expensive here...since this is barely over third world...i was flabergasted at the increase in price at kfc at the old airport....5 us dollars for a set...ridiculous...hel_l...korea is loads more expensive than thailand in 90 percent of everything you would encounter, but the prices at airport for mcdonalds or kfc is same as if you bought outside of the airport...and the internet is cheaper there...why the f would anyone pay 500 baht an hour for internet at the airport? hel_l...japan is even cheaper at airport i believe...fricking exploitive bastards...no wonder why i have heard tourists saying they are leaving here and finding the new big travel spot...for a poverty stricken country the prices sure do not reflect its environment

Go ask the man that earns 140 baht a day if he is bothered that the rich are being taxed... I hardly think he'll be very symathetic!

The price obviously really upsets you - try not using it when you go there.

Edited by ianpants69

Go ask the man that earns 140 baht a day if he is bothered that the rich are being taxed... I hardly think he'll be very symathetic!

The proce obviously really upsets you - try not using it when you go there.

who says every foreigner who comes to thailand is rich? and btw...why do you think tourists come to thailand? because it is a 2nd world country is suppose to be cheap...we come and expect to pay equivalent to what the local cost of living is...otherwise...why would we come?

who says every foreigner who comes to thailand is rich? and btw...why do you think tourists come to thailand? because it is a 2nd world country is suppose to be cheap...we come and expect to pay equivalent to what the local cost of living is...otherwise...why would we come?

I am really confused by this -Thailand is cheap (it is not a 2nd world country, the second world no-longer exist and as far as I know Thailand was never part of it anyway). - Who needs to use the internet at the airport for an hour anyway?

Are you suggesting that you want the INTERNATIONAL airport to reflect the condition of the country? Maybe some broken tiles and obvious blue pipe in the bathroom would make you feel better?

What is everyone so upset about? It is an INTERNATIONAL airport with INTERNATIONAL prices.

The internet will still be cheaper than at Heathrow.

Look at other countries in asia that are generally more expensive than thailand...they dont rape the traveler at the airport...and the price of the interner at the airport is more expensive than lax...think about it...los angeles where the cost of living is 10 times more than what bkk is but yet the airport is cheaper? makes no sense...sounds like former soviet countries that try to rape the foreinger because they think just because you are a foreinger you have money so should be charged more than the locals

My wife use to work in the airport and what's interesting is that equal number of staff from the airlines made use of the internet booths there. So you can bet their staff either pay less or at those prices will not be using it at all. My wife made something like 500 thb a day so there's no way an airport worker can afford those prices.

Also remember at Don Muang there were two internet areas. I think the other one was something like 75thb per 15 minutes or something with a 15 or 20 minute minimum. But the ToT terminals near the CAT center were always cheaper. It seems to me that the Thais will increase the prices of everything in the new airport. recognising the tourists have very few options. I would like to see them offer WIFI for a flat rate. That would be used by a lot of people. I don't want to have to be a member with Thai or whatever to use it. Just give me card and I'll use it.

koh samui free internet ? i think we have already paying for new airport what are the other prices in airport can i buy shares???

My wife use to work in the airport and what's interesting is that equal number of staff from the airlines made use of the internet booths there. So you can bet their staff either pay less or at those prices will not be using it at all. My wife made something like 500 thb a day so there's no way an airport worker can afford those prices.

Also remember at Don Muang there were two internet areas. I think the other one was something like 75thb per 15 minutes or something with a 15 or 20 minute minimum. But the ToT terminals near the CAT center were always cheaper. It seems to me that the Thais will increase the prices of everything in the new airport. recognising the tourists have very few options. I would like to see them offer WIFI for a flat rate. That would be used by a lot of people. I don't want to have to be a member with Thai or whatever to use it. Just give me card and I'll use it.

koh samui free internet ? i think we have already paying for new airport what are the other prices in airport can i buy shares???

I am really confused by this -Thailand is cheap (it is not a 2nd world country, the second world no-longer exist and as far as I know Thailand was never part of it anyway). - Who needs to use the internet at the airport for an hour anyway?

Are you suggesting that you want the INTERNATIONAL airport to reflect the condition of the country? Maybe some broken tiles and obvious blue pipe in the bathroom would make you feel better?

What is everyone so upset about? It is an INTERNATIONAL airport with INTERNATIONAL prices.

The internet will still be cheaper than at Heathrow.

look at other countries in asia that are generally more expensive than thailand...they dont rape the traveler at the airport...and the price of the interner at the airport is more expensive than lax...think about it...los angeles where the cost of living is 10 times more than what bkk is but yet the airport is cheaper? makes no sense...sounds like former soviet countries that try to rape the foreinger because they think just because you are a foreinger you have money so should be charged more than the locals

I agree with you to an extent, it is horrible to go to countries where they really believe that foreigners should pay more just because they are foreigners. However, I still maintain that 100 baht to send a couple of emails that you should have sent before you went to the airport or that you can't wait to send until you get to your hotel/ Khao Sarn/ wherever, is not unreasonable. Thailand is not in a position to give things away, nor do they ever anyway, just look at the price promos in Tescos. Buy a pack of 12 batteries - saving amounts to about 1.5 baht.

The fact remains you don't have to use the internet - You can always call at standard CAT rates.

I use a program called Mail Express Pro which turns my laptop into its own server.

All I do then is use my AIS post paid account and I get 120 hours for 350 baht. That means I could get 170 hours on my pc for 5oo baht.

si si senoir------so directions to obtain Mail Express Pro please

TiT = This is Thailand. An extremely wonderful country with extremely wonderful people, but with authorities who really lack sensitivity sometimes. Here they commit the same mistake as they did with the fees for national parks. If they ask 6 to 10 times the money one would pay in Europe or the US it isn't reasonable at all anymore. And also wealthy farangs who could afford will be put off and will not submit to such outragous demands.

The normal rate in Thailand is 20 Baht per hour, right?

si si senoir------so directions to obtain Mail Express Pro please

Mail Express Pro is available on-line as shareware (you can "Google" it). 15 day free then 1100 baht. It is my understanding that it is useful only for email. In other words you can not use it to surf the net to book hotels, transportation, check the weather at your destination, etc.

Might be avail at Pan Tip, Pratunam, in BKK.

:o

So whats the Mac Donald going to charge for lets say: Big Mac. Baht 95 as anywhere else accept Khao Sarn..or Baht 50 a bite?!

But serious... We dont know the whole story about fees charges toward TOT for operating the Lines we only got told what they have invested.

My best guess would be that we will have "Hot Spots"

Still, if you are in need to sent emails before you depart, Baht 500.- for a serious Business transaction or anything that has to do with work counts! And sure, as most companies have budgets set for overseas travel you will get a refund if receipts are provided.

For those who just want to kill time to say Bye Bye to their temporary lovers in Bangkok using MSN or any other online Chat it might be expensive. But again. Its all about what it is worth to you.

Sometimes in times of need you would even pay 160 Baht for a bottle of water knowing that you can get it for free from the Tab at home. So yes, TOT is just setting a price and will play it by ear first. If it doesn't work it, prices will drop.

Howmany time a year do you fly out and when departuring in need of internet? For Business all will be covered, for pleasure you will have to bear the costs.