Your first memory of attending a proper football match

smokie36

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic...Oul fella took me to one LFC game (Honved in Cup Winners Cup) and one EFC (Wolves in FA Cup). His paternal duties over, he left me to decide! St John and Lawler scored against Honved....havent a clue what the score was in the other game but I reckon I made the right choicebiggrin.png

Couldn't imagine that happening in Manchester, where you're from a blue family or that other lot and you follow in your old man's footsteps.

First game, Stockport County v Plymouth in 1992

3-0 win for County.

First game my Dad took me to. I was only young and just remember the crowd seemed so loud, even though there was probably only about 3,000 there.

Sat in wooden seats in the main stand.

Still have the match program at home.

Anyway, that was the start and been a County fan ever since, through the few good times and all the bad times.

I used to be one of those City fans who regularly used to go along to County's friday night games in the 70s...they even had the occasional star playing for them then like Buzzer andBestie if I rremember correctly.

And you're from Bredbury by the looks of things. Small world.

...and Red Nev on here is from Woodbank Park.

League Cup, second leg. Wigan Athletic vs PNE, Springfield Park Sept 3 1980. Granddad, Dad and myself on the home terrace.

I don't remember the match, but I vividly remember my first experience of violence first hand.

Pre-kick off, a Preston lad in tartan pants, 18 hole Docs and a peroxide mohawk jumped the fence on the halfway line and sprinted across the pitch and launched himself straight in to the Wiganers.

Half-time a monster Wigan lad gets in to an altercation with one of his mates, going hell for leather about 20 yards from us, then stop and continue drinking like nowt happened, shirts torn and claret aplenty.

Full-time. Wigan lost. All the Wigan fans to my right started making their way around the back of us on the terrace behind the goal to the Preston fans, there was no segregation, no police to stop what was about happen. 2 groups of proper Northern lads belting 10 shades out of each other.

Back on topic...Oul fella took me to one LFC game (Honved in Cup Winners Cup) and one EFC (Wolves in FA Cup). His paternal duties over, he left me to decide! St John and Lawler scored against Honved....havent a clue what the score was in the other game but I reckon I made the right choicebiggrin.png

Couldn't imagine that happening in Manchester, where you're from a blue family or that other lot and you follow in your old man's footsteps.

Oul fella was Plod....so he had his back to the pitch every home game and hated both teamsbiggrin.png

1952 wales vs spain ninian park.

de-stefano,gento,santa maria,[spain]

john charles,ivor allchurch.terry medwin,jack kelsy.

i was right behind the spanish goal when ivor scored a 25yarder.but that was beat by a 40yarder that beat kelsy all ends up.

score 1-2.crying.gif

'kin hell mate, how old are you? amazing seeing those legends in the flesh though like.

first ever match was (i think) northwich victoria against witton albion at the drill field in about 1981. first liverpool match was 1984, lech poznan at anfield in the european cup on a wednesday night. won 4-0 and johnny wark scored a hat-trick.

i was a very lucky man stevie,ivor was a personel freind,john charles [charlo] i new to talk to and gerry hitchins i knew personally.

Bored out of my mind......the first time and every time.....who wants to watch guys run up and down the pitch, fall over if someone gets within a a mile of them and have the score 0 - 0?????

if you'd have put jam on your dummy,you'd have enjoyed it more.

First football match would have been Anster (Anstruther) Utd playing in the local amateur league sometime in the 1960's. First professional football match was East Fife at Bayview sometime in the early 70's. They were in the old first division at that time though they usually only just avoided relegation most of the time.

Can't remember now who they were playing nor the score.

Alan

First football match would have been Anster (Anstruther) Utd playing in the local amateur league sometime in the 1960's. First professional football match was East Fife at Bayview sometime in the early 70's. They were in the old first division at that time though they usually only just avoided relegation most of the time.

Can't remember now who they were playing nor the score.

Alan

I went to Methil once....narrowly escaped with my life....never again! tongue.png

Bored out of my mind......the first time and every time.....who wants to watch guys run up and down the pitch, fall over if someone gets within a a mile of them and have the score 0 - 0?????

Seeing as it's the most popular sport in the world, quite a few people I'd say.

Pretty much sums up how stupid the rest of the world really is, eh??

whistling.gif

This is not the AFL or NRL or NFL forum. This is the football/soccer forum.

Well call it the football/soccer forum.

Errm...That is exactly what it is calledwhistling.gif You appear thicker than the average Aussie...which is saying something. Congratulationsclap2.gif

Seeing as it's the most popular sport in the world, quite a few people I'd say.

Pretty much sums up how stupid the rest of the world really is, eh??

If Football really is that boring and stupid to you, why don't you just stop wasting your time, toddle off back to your Chess forum and stop trolling in here? I don't know, sometimes these super intelligent people really confuse me with their super intelligence.

Carlisle United v (some team like Port Vale or maybe Workington Town) - 4th Division in about 1960. My friend's Dad took us to Brunton Park and I was hooked ever sonce - apart from a 20 year period when I got into American football - I spent 2 years working in Houston and getting beers and burgers served at your Aircon seat in the Astrodome put me off cold terraces, hot Bovril and lamb pies for years.

The only player I recall from the early days was Les Dagger who seemed like a star to the little boys back then but looked like a short heavy-set barber with Brylcreemed hair. After a year or so Carlisle United started a famed march up to the dizzy heights of the First Division. They jumped from 4th to 1st over only 4 summers being champions of the 4th and 3rd in succesive seasons, which was a jointly shared record rise at the time I think. Hugh McIlmoyle and Chris Balderstone (also played cricket for Yorkshire) were decent numbers 9 and 10 that I recall, but later we had a few players that were better known like Stan Bowles.

Really exciting was the first time we played an international team of reknown, which was Sparta Prague in the Fairs Cup (no idea how we got into that on reflection! perhaps I'm wrong and it was a friendly). Other standout matches were a home FA Cup tie, which they won and an unexpected away FA Cup win 1-0 at Newcastle, where I got a bit of a kicking and my scarf knicked by disgruntled Magpie fans.

When I moved to college 10 years later my allegiances switched to Norwich City (parents moved there) and Ipswich Town (studied (not) at Essex University) and then Leeds United for a few years when I started working. They started my malaise with football - a bit boring in the post Revie years - which was killed stone dead by those comfy air-con seats.

As Chicog would aver I have been switching teams since the age of 18!! What he doesn't know is that I have never actually seen Arsenal first team play at home - , only away (a few times).

Plastic now, but was not always thus. Was a home and away kind of guy with Carlisle United for at least 10 years and also for a few years with Norwich (who also ground there way up a couple of divisions to the First during my tenure.

I miss going to live games. My wife is lining up another guy here to take me to TPL (Sisaket FC) - the perma-drunk blacksmith across the road is full of $hit in his promises to take me along!

Edit: Have just quickly checked Wiki and my memories are slightly flawed re the alacrity of the final jump from 2nd to 1st. Wiki states two facts I didn't know - "Carlisle still remains the smallest location in England, by local population, to have had a resident top-flight football team since 1906. Bill Shankly, an FA Cup and League Championship winning manager by that time, branded Carlisle's climb to the top as “the greatest feat in the history of the game.”

One of my colleague partners in the businees I worked (who I did not know as a lad) continued to follow Carlisle United home and away throughout his career (and probably still does in his late 60s for all I know. HE WAS BASED IN LIVERPOOL. Now that is the very antithesis of plastic

Woops - overran the brief by a large number of inches.

First game, Stockport County v Plymouth in 1992

3-0 win for County.

First game my Dad took me to. I was only young and just remember the crowd seemed so loud, even though there was probably only about 3,000 there.

Sat in wooden seats in the main stand.

Still have the match program at home.

Anyway, that was the start and been a County fan ever since, through the few good times and all the bad times.

I used to be one of those City fans who regularly used to go along to County's friday night games in the 70s...they even had the occasional star playing for them then like Buzzer andBestie if I rremember correctly.

And you're from Bredbury by the looks of things. Small world.

...and Red Nev on here is from Woodbank Park.
Indeed I am, my first game was 1965 man utd v notts Forrest I was 7 and went with my Dad, not remember much about the match but I do remember bog rolls being thrown from the Stretford end.

no 'krauts' on this one yet?

perhaps it's the language barrier...

1974, hsv (hamburger sports verein) vs 'i don't really know, think 'kaiserslautern'.

hamburg volkspark stadium, east corner, 100th of hsv - crazies all around me. beer mak mak.

can't remember the score (hsv won), can't even remember how i got home.

was a great afternoon, but.

thank you for starting this thread and the memory trip thumbsup.gif

European Cup 1982

Liverpool 1(whelan) v Dundalk 0 ,Liverpool going through the motions after an easy 4-1 1st leg win . I was with my Dad & my Uncle Gerry(Evertonian) who tried to persuade to move over to the darkside that night...not an effin chance Gerry.

fightin talk that la

1952 wales vs spain ninian park.

de-stefano,gento,santa maria,[spain]

john charles,ivor allchurch.terry medwin,jack kelsy.

i was right behind the spanish goal when ivor scored a 25yarder.but that was beat by a 40yarder that beat kelsy all ends up.

score 1-2.crying.gif

I presume this is the same John Charles who was sold to Bogota, I think the first ever player to be sold overseas.

Carlisle United v (some team like Port Vale or maybe Workington Town) - 4th Division in about 1960. My friend's Dad took us to Brunton Park and I was hooked ever sonce - apart from a 20 year period when I got into American football - I spent 2 years working in Houston and getting beers and burgers served at your Aircon seat in the Astrodome put me off cold terraces, hot Bovril and lamb pies for years.

The only player I recall from the early days was Les Dagger who seemed like a star to the little boys back then but looked like a short heavy-set barber with Brylcreemed hair. After a year or so Carlisle United started a famed march up to the dizzy heights of the First Division. They jumped from 4th to 1st over only 4 summers being champions of the 4th and 3rd in succesive seasons, which was a jointly shared record rise at the time I think. Hugh McIlmoyle and Chris Balderstone (also played cricket for Yorkshire) were decent numbers 9 and 10 that I recall, but later we had a few players that were better known like Stan Bowles.

Really exciting was the first time we played an international team of reknown, which was Sparta Prague in the Fairs Cup (no idea how we got into that on reflection! perhaps I'm wrong and it was a friendly). Other standout matches were a home FA Cup tie, which they won and an unexpected away FA Cup win 1-0 at Newcastle, where I got a bit of a kicking and my scarf knicked by disgruntled Magpie fans.

When I moved to college 10 years later my allegiances switched to Norwich City (parents moved there) and Ipswich Town (studied (not) at Essex University) and then Leeds United for a few years when I started working. They started my malaise with football - a bit boring in the post Revie years - which was killed stone dead by those comfy air-con seats.

As Chicog would aver I have been switching teams since the age of 18!! What he doesn't know is that I have never actually seen Arsenal first team play at home - , only away (a few times).

Plastic now, but was not always thus. Was a home and away kind of guy with Carlisle United for at least 10 years and also for a few years with Norwich (who also ground there way up a couple of divisions to the First during my tenure.

I miss going to live games. My wife is lining up another guy here to take me to TPL (Sisaket FC) - the perma-drunk blacksmith across the road is full of $hit in his promises to take me along!

Edit: Have just quickly checked Wiki and my memories are slightly flawed re the alacrity of the final jump from 2nd to 1st. Wiki states two facts I didn't know - "Carlisle still remains the smallest location in England, by local population, to have had a resident top-flight football team since 1906. Bill Shankly, an FA Cup and League Championship winning manager by that time, branded Carlisle's climb to the top as “the greatest feat in the history of the game.”

One of my colleague partners in the businees I worked (who I did not know as a lad) continued to follow Carlisle United home and away throughout his career (and probably still does in his late 60s for all I know. HE WAS BASED IN LIVERPOOL. Now that is the very antithesis of plastic

Woops - overran the brief by a large number of inches.

Essex University in Ipswich [suffolk]? Did I read this right?

Chelmsford City, many times in the forties, perhaps my first league match was between Leyton Orient and Notts County perhaps late forties, early fifties, the great center forward Tommy Lawton was playing for Notts County at that time. Perhaps my first international was England v Argentina in the 66' world cup at Wembley, Argentine sure made it easy to dislike them, which I do to this day.

Archived