Your first memory of attending a proper football match

smokie36

First game, Australia v's Argentina at the Sydney

Football Stadium, what do i remember,,,

1; soccer fans are not well educated

2; soccer fans are loud

3; watching on the television, much better

My first soccer international was Australia vs Scotland....some time in the 80's at old Olympic park Melbourne....I'm with you on the above but like to add I wasn't surprised after witnessing the Scottish behaviour of violence in GB at the time, if the Scotts had been playing another soccer nation there would have been a riot.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no 'krauts' on this one yet?

perhaps it's the language barrier...

1974, hsv (hamburger sports verein) vs 'i don't really know, think 'kaiserslautern'.

hamburg volkspark stadium, east corner, 100th of hsv - crazies all around me. beer mak mak.

can't remember the score (hsv won), can't even remember how i got home.

was a great afternoon, but.

thank you for starting this thread and the memory trip thumbsup.gif

Thanks...that's what this thread is all about....peeps please read his post again and add an appropriate comment of your own.

Cheers for all the great memories...keep em coming...I'm loving them!

1952 wales vs spain ninian park.

de-stefano,gento,santa maria,[spain]

john charles,ivor allchurch.terry medwin,jack kelsy.

i was right behind the spanish goal when ivor scored a 25yarder.but that was beat by a 40yarder that beat kelsy all ends up.

score 1-2.crying.gif

I presume this is the same John Charles who was sold to Bogota, I think the first ever player to be sold overseas.

i think youve mixed him with someone else. the JOHN CHARLES went to juventus and became a legend,the only other move abroad was to roma.

I can't remember my first game. I was around football all the time since i was a kid. My dad played junior for as long as i can remember. He had trials for a few big clubs. However never made the step up. My dad took me to games the odd time. However it was my papa who took me to more games. Went to see Motherwell , Rangers and many international games.

First game for me was October 1968, Stoke City v Chelsea and Stoke won 2-0. I was 12 at the time and supported Chelsea so not exactly a happy day out. The two things that stand out in my memory of that day were how high the terrace steps seemed to me as a small kid and getting the runs about 15 mins into the game and the toilets were filthy.

I grew out of supporting Chelsea as I got older.

Just after I posted this, I realised that there was an earlier game I went to, Borough United v Sliema Wanderers in the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup in 1963. They were a team of part-timers and my dad had played for them in his younger days. The Borough United ground was tiny so they played the game at the Racecourse ground in Wrexham and won 2-0. The Wrexham pitch was raised up from the terrace and I can remember being barely able to see as we were near the front.

Having made it through to the next round they played Slovan Bratislava but lost 0-1, again at the Racecourse, a game I also went to. For years after that I was convinced they'd played the 'powerhouses' of Europe and it wasn't until later I found out Sliema Wanderers were an equally small team of part-timers from Malta.

Slovan on the other hand were professionals and had five international players in their squad so the 0-1 was no disgrace.

Writing that has brought back some long buried memories and I think I might have something in my eye at the moment.

I have a memory of my first visit to Parhead to watch Celtic , I think it was against Aberdeen but more likley Partick Thistle, for a mid week game . My old dad took me and my cousin probaly about 6 at the time and we were right up the back of the jungle , I was blown away by the floodlit stadium and we got shots each of a shoulderie from my dad. The thing was though, and this had not been picked up my dad , was me and my cousin were wearing our new tracky bottoms sent over from Australia by our gran , and my cousin's were blue with red stripes down the leg and mine were red with black stripes . Needless to say a few heads turned and my old man was saying things like ," fuxake theyr only weans , christ , their granny sent them over from australia" and so on.

Washington Redskins vs. Cleveland Browns--fall of 1956, Redskins won. I was 11 years old, some teenage punks behind us were drinking beer and pissing on the floor. An old man told them to stop and they smacked him. My step-father went up and knocked two of them out and had the third in a head grip. He held all three there until the police arrived. That's how real football fans handle hooligans.

Think it was Southampton at home, 81, I was 5.

Mum took me, thought she'd hate it. Flask o tea n a hip flat too I'd imagine. She was singing her heart out an hour before the game. Left side Stretty seats.

Made me a left sided for life that did. Don't remember the score.

redrus

1973 me dad took me to see Luton Town play Wolves, old division 2 , was a top of the table clash and we won 2-1. Have vague memories of being shit scared when a goal was scored.

I was only 5 and my older neighbour was getting me interested in Liverpool, but after that match i was hooked.

Never forgiven my dad for that tongue.png

Archived